This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: Maybe it was taking the piss out of the anime stereotype. Have you thought about that angle?
#202 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @Jeffsekai: Maybe it was taking the piss out of the anime stereotype. Have you thought about that angle? "
What do you mean?
#203 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Napalm said:
" @Hailinel said:
" Different strokes, different folks.  Don't really see the point of this thread aside from trying to rile anime fans (again) though.  Oh, wait.  This is a Jeffsekai thread. "
Oh Jeffsekai, you always be trollin' on Giant Bomb. I agree with what Hallinel has been bringing up about the lethal double standard that exists on Giant Bomb. It's easier to overlook because graphic images usually don't accompany these things here, but the content is similar, and since Anime Vice is one hundred percent community run, puts it on the same playing field as the Giant Bomb user content. And beside, has anybody bothered to read that post? It's a simple wiki update. Have you listened to the GDC'11 podcasts talking about dildos and gay masturbation jokes and shit? This is the fucking Bulletstorm fiasco all over again, about how people, "aren't thirteen years old anymore, durhurr." Seriously, shut the hell up of pandering to the lowest common denominator. You don't know what the hell you're talking about, and you can take your bullshit double standard and shove it up your twenty year-old tight virgin ass. "
Again, I love everything I do being labeled as a "troll" I posted this thread because the footer at the bottom of the page is disgusting not to make all the anime fans rage and get all pissy if I wanted to do that I would have posted it on Anime Vice and it would have said anime is for jerks in the title.   Again...and please fucking read this. I do not have a problem with anime, or at the end of the day do I have a problem with Anime Vice as a whole, but what I have a problem with is them using that image to depict a community update, if the article was only talking about High School of the Dead then you know what I prolly would have been fine with it. But it is about the community accomplishments, and they are using that image to get clicks, and at the same time they are painting the community of Anime Vice as people who like that image and think it's something that represents them. This is not about trolling. Once again I will cite the Cathrine box art, that is the Box Art of the game giantbomb has to show it, and they have already stated many times how weird it is for it to be that but they have to post it, they can't censor the box art that's dumb. If they were posting fan art or something that was worse then the box art then sure it would be bad. Finally, with BulletStorm if every article of BulletStorm had a picture of a dick as the main image it would be the same thing. "
Word. I love how they call you a troll just because you post contrary opinions. I know it doesn't mean much since I agree with you but I feel like a lot of people came in here with the title and just made assumptions.
#204 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Napalm said:
" @Jeffsekai: Maybe it was taking the piss out of the anime stereotype. Have you thought about that angle? "
What do you mean? "
Purposely playing into the stereotype for the sake of comedy? You know, being entirely self aware?
#205 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@Napalm: Contrary to popular opinion I'm not stupid. I know there must be something out there that isn't like that, but the only shows I ever hear people talking about, or get any kind of promotion online, are shows that are like that, and I don't care enough to try and hunt down the one or two exceptions that do something different.
#206 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @Napalm said:
What do you mean? "
Purposely playing into the stereotype for the sake of comedy? You know, being entirely self aware? "
ummm still not sure what you mean, but if you mean that the people that made the High School of the Dead did it to be clever or prove a point. Someone already pointed out that they made High School of the Dead the way they did to appeal to horny 14 yr olds. So you're right they did it on purpose, just not ironically.
#207 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

" @Catolf said:

" @Jeffsekai said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Jeffsekai:  Oh calm down it's a joke, no need to be so serious. I get people don't like the same things but again I don't see the issue with that image being down there, as put you can close that up so you won't have to look at it, yet you don't want too because you feel like your punishing another site or something.
Haha fuck you, no need to be serious when you all in here being serious. Don't say something if you don't mean it..Why should I stop my self from seeing content from Screen, Tested, and Comic Vine because Anime Vice made a mistake? Doesn't seem like that right choice here. "
So I was being totally serious and raging on you? Like you are now? I never cursed at you, though I did playfully say those who were complaining about the breasts would rather see other types of skin. You have the ability not to see it and you choose not to, simple. This is all a non issue. I should go over and tell them some oiled up hot guys this time.. then have a spotlight on the advantages of crisco. "
Fine lets get back on track.  If I hate boobs, explain to me why I love Elfen Lied and think its done with class, but hate High School of The Dead. "
Can't say anything playfully around here huh? You hate Highschool of the dead because of the fanservice, fanservice you can't seem to get past to see a pretty decent story under it, that is my opinion. If you like dudes or chicks makes no difference to me. I like the breasts, i liked the fanservice and I liked the story, we have different tastes in anime.. I've never watched Elfen Lied so I can give no opinion on that.

@DystopiaX: Image is an image in any case.. long message is long. But it's what AV decided to put up as an image, and will continue to do so. You admitted yourself they still mentioned highschool of the dead, so, image is valid. They brought the attention that HSotD is getting a Dub, it's relevant.

EDIT: Also they are talking about Wiki overhaul which HSotD was part of, so image is relevant.
#208 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @Napalm: Contrary to popular opinion I'm not stupid. I know there must be something out there that isn't like that, but the only shows I ever hear people talking about, or get any kind of promotion online, are shows that are like that, and I don't care enough to try and hunt down the one or two exceptions that do something different. "
I'm not trying to be rude, but doesn't that kind of make you an ignorant idiot by just making assumptions based on some popular crap you saw? That's like saying I think Britney Spears is an awful vocalist, so obviously all music groups suck. That seems kind of dumb, doesn't it? Just let that sit in your mind for a minute before you respond. 

@Jeffsekai: That fact that you don't know what self aware means, just really proves this entire topic is just, man, I don't even care. *long, hard sigh*
#209 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

So let me get this straight. Anime boobs on an anime show isn't cool, but anime boobs on a game like Catherine is ok? I'm lost.

#210 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

I'm not an anime fan, I've never watched a single series but all the anime haters in this topic are sounding like idiots.  

Also, Screened totally had a sexy picture of Anne Hathaway as a header at one point. I don't remember seeing an uproar about that here...

#211 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Napalm: Oh, you mean Anime Vice is using the image as a joke? I don't think so, it has no context to what they wrote and the caption is a joke relating to the picture. I know what self aware is, you didn't explain what you were referring too if it was the anime it's self or Anime Vice.

@Catolf said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Jeffsekai:  Oh calm down it's a joke, no need to be so serious. I get people don't like the same things but again I don't see the issue with that image being down there, as put you can close that up so you won't have to look at it, yet you don't want too because you feel like your punishing another site or something.
Haha fuck you, no need to be serious when you all in here being serious. Don't say something if you don't mean it..Why should I stop my self from seeing content from Screen, Tested, and Comic Vine because Anime Vice made a mistake? Doesn't seem like that right choice here. "
So I was being totally serious and raging on you? Like you are now? I never cursed at you, though I did playfully say those who were complaining about the breasts would rather see other types of skin. You have the ability not to see it and you choose not to, simple. This is all a non issue. I should go over and tell them some oiled up hot guys this time.. then have a spotlight on the advantages of crisco. "
Fine lets get back on track.  If I hate boobs, explain to me why I love Elfen Lied and think its done with class, but hate High School of The Dead. "
Can't say anything playfully around here huh? You hate Highschool of the dead because of the fanservice, fanservice you can't seem to get past to see a pretty decent story under it, that is my opinion. If you like dudes or chicks makes no difference to me. I like the breasts, i liked the fanservice and I liked the story, we have different tastes in anime.. I've never watched Elfen Lied so I can give no opinion on that.

If you haven't seen Elfed Lied then this entire argument is retarded.
#212 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" So let me get this straight. Anime boobs on an anime show isn't cool, but anime boobs on a game like Catherine is ok? I'm lost. "
Read what I said a couple posts ago.
#213 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@Napalm: No, as I have said, it means that whenever I have gone to look for something new to watch all I have ever found were the kind of shows I mentioned above, and that's all people ever recommended to me when I would ask what are some good anime to have come out in the last few years. I have no interest in watching stuff like that, but since you apparently have your thumb on the pulse of all that is great in anime point me to something that has come out recently that isn't anything like that and I will happily watch it.
#214 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" So let me get this straight. Anime boobs on an anime show isn't cool, but anime boobs on a game like Catherine is ok? I'm lost. "
And mass effect XD

People are just unhappy to see breasts on the images below I suppose when the image is relevant to what the article is about. *shrug*
#215 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Funny enough, I just looked up two threads on Giant Bomb today that discussed if Anime Vice was dead and the supposed "red headed stepchild" of the Whiskey Media family. 
Now I know my answer. But of course, we're talking about the Giant Bomb community, the most stagnant and stubborn of all communities.

#216 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Lab392 said:
" OH NO! Boobs! How terrible! How frightening! How revolting! How discouraging! "
totally not missing the point at all, good work. "
so what's the point and cause of your surely immense, barely contained anger
#217 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @ch13696 said:
And mass effect XD  People are just unhappy to see breasts on the images below I suppose when the image is relevant to what the article is about. *shrug* "
But it's not relevant at all to what they posted.
#218 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @ch13696 said:
And mass effect XD  People are just unhappy to see breasts on the images below I suppose when the image is relevant to what the article is about. *shrug* "
From what I gather, if it's not on Giant Bomb then it's not cool. And almost everyone on GB see's anime just like Boxxy. If you don't like, it you're not cool. If you do like it, you're not cool. 

Wait a sec... why the hell did I bring Boxxy into this. Motha fucker. 

@Jeffsekai said:
" @ch13696 said:
Read what I said a couple posts ago. "
If you're talking about your hatred towards High School of the Dead, I don't even know that show.
#219 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Napalm: Oh, you mean Anime Vice is using the image as a joke? I don't think so, it has no context to what they wrote and the caption is a joke relating to the picture. I know what self aware is, you didn't explain what you were referring too if it was the anime it's self or Anime Vice.

@Catolf said:

If you haven't seen Elfed Lied then this entire argument is retarded. "
goodness really? How is that? Your the one that brought up Elfen Lied not I. Also I said I've never watched, but I know what it is, gory anime about a red headed girl with cat ears whom has psychic powers to a certain extent that was blocked by the helmet on her head.
#220 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Ya it's pretty stupid stuff. I like some anime but seeing shit like that from anime vice, just turns me off on the idea of touching that site. At least it's at the very bottom of a page.

#221 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @Napalm: Oh, you mean Anime Vice is using the image as a joke? I don't think so, it has no context to what they wrote and the caption is a joke relating to the picture. I know what self aware is, you didn't explain what you were referring too if it was the anime it's self or Anime Vice.

@Catolf said:

If you haven't seen Elfed Lied then this entire argument is retarded. "
goodness really? How is that? Your the one that brought up Elfen Lied not I. Also I said I've never watched, but I know what it is, gory anime about a red headed girl with cat ears whom has psychic powers to a certain extent that was blocked by the helmet on her head. "
I brought it up to so to have an analog to show what is an example of an Anime with class and an Anime that does it wrong and only does it for fan service. If you havn't seen the anime, my argument won't work because you don't know how the boobs are depicted in the show and how the naked girl is not the focus.
#222 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Its the same as Giantbomb showing some guy from a FPS, I'm sure other people complain about that too. Its the demographics. 

You aren't Anime Vice's demographic, so the picture doesn't work for you. Most anime fans know that boobs are a pretty big staple of most animes, so that picture isn't exactly a surprise. Plus, if you read the tagline you will find out its also a joke, a play on the norms and expectations of anime. 

Plus, considering the state of Anime Vice, them trying to get more clicks and viewers isn't a horrible thing. 

Its not pandering when that is content that the community wants to see, thats just meeting consumer demand. Its like saying when GB shows off videogames its pandering because we love videogames. If anything, its pandering when GB shows off the guys doing silly things. Thats not about videogames but is just doing it to get more views and to please the audience.

Bottom line is that if you don't like it, don't look at it. Nobody is forcing you to. Making a topic is even dumber. They are just drawn breasts, don't freak out. I know breasts scare you, but one day you are going to have to come to terms with that and either come out of the closet or accept that other men like seeing them and find a way to cope.

#223 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I'm more upset that they decided to use a picture of such a terrible show. 

#224 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5262 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @ch13696 said:
I think people are taking this to far but to someone who has no idea what Highschool of the dead is it looks like a naked picture for no reason especially where it is only mentioned in one sentence.  Where as on the Catherine thing it was box art that confirmed an American release attached to an article about a Catherine release.   

Proto-NA Catherine Site

We are not talking about the difference in community in association of the banner but those who run the website which in Anime Vice's case seems to be the forum.  And you keep comparing this to Mass Effect to which there is no comparison given the conversation since we are not talking about the threads people make but what the articles and headlines associated with a website are.  There is no problem with breasts in any medium nor are the people arguing having a problem with breasts except for the way a website uses them.
#225 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -
Controversy! Uproar!
#226 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -

Hey guys, some anime like to show boobs a lot.  The caption on Anime Vice is a joke about that.  It's not a great show, since they felt the need to throw in about 10 times more fanservice than the manga had, and it's not even very well done.  But hey, there are fans who like that.  There are also people on Giant Bomb who don't mind Bulletstorm being one long stream of naughty words trying desperately to be funny.  We don't have to agre with them, but let's not all be assholes about it.
@crusader8463:
Baccano and Durarara are both done by the same group, and they're pretty awesome with next to no fanservice contained therein.  They're also two of the most hyped and popular anime I've heard about in recent years.  There's actually a pretty nice feature where you can watch Baccano free and legal on the main page of Animevice.  Maybe give them a shot and see if they're your thing.  You can't just glance at the first thing on a page and decide the whole batch of anime is crap because of it.

#227 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

" @MiniPato said:

" I really can't believe how many people are riled up by that image. Are you guys worried some saavy entrepreneur will see Whiskey Media as a family of Nerd sites? NEWFLASH, WE GOT A GAMING SITE A COMIC SITE A TECH SITE AND A MOVIE SITE. If you think Anime Vice is what people need to see to finally decide Whiskey Media is full of nerds, you need some serious rethinking. "
It's not about the nerd part, it's the fact that you're flashing tits up everywhere to represent an article and site where that' not necessarily the most relevant. "
That's it?! That's all you're worried about? Making sure the picture is relevant to the article and not worried about how Anime Vice represents Whiskey Media...oh wait.

@DystopiaX said:

showing but a little skin, in fact they are dressed more so than some game character's I've seen.. "It reflects negatively on other sites because Whiskey media is frequently branded as a family of sites- that's why we see shit like the happy hour, the whiskey media website talks about all the sites in conjunction, etc. While some users just use one site or another, the multi-pass and Happy hour are just indications that they cross paths a lot, especially with podcast and video guesting. While this doesn't really affect anything from a user standpoint i'm sure advertisers look at this shit and see animevice tits all over the place and may be turned off. Basically, like it or not every site bleeds into the other, etc.  also, the chick on the right has no top and is covering herself with her arm. Show me that shit in videogames. Also, the 1-2 minutes I watched had the girls tits bouncing everywhere, which only really happens in DoA, and even that is ridiculed by the gaming community as a whole. The only time I've seen that level of panty-flashing in games is when Jeff was playing Galgun, and even then they made creeper jokes on the Happy Hour because that shit is atypical for games. "

@DystopiaX said:

@MiniPato: Again,   that article the image doesn't represent what it's about. You're arguing that it doesn't matter what it's used for, the image would be up regardless- I'd have a problem with that no matter what it is for. It's slightly less offensive if used for Highschool of the Dead yes, but at the same time you could do just as well with a nonsexual image. It's like if you're hosting a discussion about murder. Would an image of a disemboweled person be topical? Yeah, but it doesn't mean that it would be tasteful or wise to use that picture as an advertisement for what you are doing.

HS of the Dead got ONE sentence in that article, and it wasn't the main point. It's as if I was writing about the American Legal system and then titling the paper as if to suggest it's only about tax law; sure that's part of the subject, but that's not really what the article is about. If the article featured was "Hey HS of the Dead is getting a dub!" then an HS of the dead image would be relevant (and even then I'd keep it tasteful, no need for that shit), but since the main body of the article is about wiki points and cool shit the community has done this is in no way relevant. "
And what would be a fitting image I ask you again? Just because it isn't ALL about HoTD doesn't mean it isn't at all. The article is an all encompassing one that it would be difficult to find just one thing to represent it. It mentions HoTD, it mentioned one of the breaking news articles so why NOT use an image of it? Do you see what's on in the Community Spotlights on screened? Usually a video of something funny or something or another.  I'm not saying to be all out disgusting, but why should they go out of their way to be "tasteful" if it's"not about the nerd part." Should Giant Bomb not post pictures of dudes getting shot just to be tasteful? Why does it matter?
#228 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Catolf said:
" @ch13696 said:
I think people are taking this to far but to someone who has no idea what Highschool of the dead is it looks like a naked picture for no reason especially where it is only mentioned in one sentence.  Where as on the Catherine thing it was box art that confirmed an American release attached to an article about a Catherine release.   
  We are not talking about the difference in community in association of the banner but those who run the website which in Anime Vice's case seems to be the forum.  And you keep comparing this to Mass Effect to which there is no comparison given the conversation since we are not talking about the threads people make but what the articles and headlines associated with a website are.  There is no problem with breasts in any medium nor are the people arguing having a problem with breasts except for the way a website uses them. "
Well said.
#229 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" At least they've destroyed most if not all of the inappropriate/disgusting content from their wiki and they've eliminated the presence of their old, stupid logo. "

Which really just makes it more embarrassing that there's still a ton of porno games in Giant Bomb's database.
#230 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

Unnessesery hatred from all of you. It's pretty damn impressive given that it's basically a community run site.

#231 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Deusoma said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" At least they've destroyed most if not all of the inappropriate/disgusting content from their wiki and they've eliminated the presence of their old, stupid logo. "
 Which really just makes it more embarrassing that there's still a ton of porno games in Giant Bomb's database. "
Pretty sure the problem wasn't with just having hentai/porn titles it was having drawn hentai for every kinda of fetish porn or something to that effect.
#232 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

If there are any Anime Vice fans who read this and this is entirely wrong then I'm sorry.

BUT, doesn't Anime Vice need to cater to their audience?  Maybe this is the type of stuff they want to see...

I don't know why, it's a drawing.  But, still, maybe this is what they want out of their website.

#233 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@MiniPato: Because while you may understand it's part of the content, other people who have no idea what that anime is won't? also because 1 sentence in an article does not equal relevant. I also have no problem with the Screened people doing that, but making your community out to be a bunch of horny 14-year-olds that enjoy staring at cartoon boobs is not only not relevant, it's insulting and distasteful.
@Catolf:     Not it's not...1 sentence in the article is not relevant. I could rehash all my arguments again but at this point we'd both be saying the same things so I'm done.
#234 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Unnessesery hatred from all of you. It's pretty damn impressive given that it's basically a community run site. "
Just to be clear, I'm not hating on AV, I just think that image is a poor choice given that the article is supposed to represent what the community is about, which, as everyone here seems to want to tell me, is not all about tits.
#235 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:
" If there are any Anime Vice fans who read this and this is entirely wrong then I'm sorry.  BUT, doesn't Anime Vice need to cater to their audience?  Maybe this is the type of stuff they want to see...  I don't know why, it's a drawing.  But, still, maybe this is what they want out of their website. "
it's relevant to the fact that some wiki and that the HSotD dub will be coming soon along with DVD release. But I do think it goes witht he joke at the bottom along with a little catering, so I doubt your far off.
#236 Posted by Vendetta (434 posts) -

You mean anime exists that doesn't look like that?

#237 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Vendetta said:
" You mean anime exists that doesn't look like that? "
Yup.
#238 Posted by Vendetta (434 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Vendetta said:
" You mean anime exists that doesn't look like that? "
Yup. "
Mind = BLOWN!
#239 Edited by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

okay, they changed it  
everyone chill the fuck out before i bring out the chopper 

#240 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Crisis over!

AV's ad is now Tom's review of Paprika.

Everyone go home.
#241 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" okay, they changed it  everyone chill the fuck out before i bring out the chopper  "
@B0nd07 said:
"

Crisis over!

AV's ad is now Tom's review of Paprika.  Everyone go home. "
They say why?
#242 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: It was automatically updated when the new feature went up.
#243 Posted by TooWalrus (13200 posts) -

If you hate that add, chances are you probably hate anime.

#244 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @Jeffsekai: It was automatically updated when the new feature went up. "
That video has been up for a while.
#245 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1263 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
"

Crisis over!

AV's ad is now Tom's review of Paprika.  Everyone go home. "
#246 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: i guess because they seem to have acknowledged the whole outrage in this thread (their twitter) and said "the hell is this shit" so they changed it
#247 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

ive never been on that site...  i might when i actually get into anime to improve my Japanese

#248 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I don't like half the stuff Comicvine puts up but I'm not gonna make a topic on another Whiskey site just to complain about it. The OP is an idiot.

#249 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @Napalm: Contrary to popular opinion I'm not stupid. I know there must be something out there that isn't like that, but the only shows I ever hear people talking about, or get any kind of promotion online, are shows that are like that, and I don't care enough to try and hunt down the one or two exceptions that do something different. "
Like I said, taking what people give you and complain it's all the same. You need to go discover anime based on the type of the stuff you like. I've discovered I really like science fiction type anime. Appleseed Ex Machina is a recent example of fantastic anime. Well, now that I think about it, it's not technically anime since it's computer generated, but the general anime principles are still layered in there.
#250 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @B0nd07 said:
" @Jeffsekai: It was automatically updated when the new feature went up. "
That video has been up for a while. "
It was posted 3 hrs after the spotlight and (more importantly) the ad area doesn't update immediately.