• 55 results
#1 Edited by Bam_Boozilled (150 posts) -

While randomly surfing the internet I came across this:

Space Dandy PV

If anything just watch that, you won't regret it. The tagline in the end is just too good.

That is seriously one of the craziest and grooviest trailers I may have ever laid eyes on. My first time through it seemed really strange, but now I've watched it at least half a dozen times just for the music and craziness combined.

In my entire life I've only watched one anime to completion. That being Deadman Wonderland. That show was absolutely crazy in a very dark way. It was unlike anything I've ever watched before. Combine that with my newness to the anime scene and it was an amazing ride watching that show.

To this day I'm still disappointed there is no season 2 to Deadman Wonderland, and I haven't found an anime come close to capturing the entertainment I got from it. Which brings me back to Space Dandy.

Like Deadman Wonderland this show looks absolutely insane. Actually its 10x crazier looking. And instead of being an extremely dark story this one seems very comedic but also has a sense of adventure/wonder to it (Those mystical dinosaur things at the end).

I can really see this show bringing me back to the anime genre(or would it be a medium?). I'm mixed on the boob service though. I remember trying to watch High School of the Dead and one of the female character's boobs were all over the place. I couldn't take it seriously. Not that it needs it, but it doesn't seem so out of place in Space Dandy.

Anyways I just really wanted to show this to more people, and hear what they think. Maybe some more avid anime fans can give some insight? I read that some top notch people from other shows are working on this.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

In my entire life I've only watched one anime to completion. That being Deadman Wonderland.

If you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop to completion, how can anyone have any faith in your taste in anime; it's like recommending a book when you can't read.

#3 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

That looked interesting. Thanks for posting it.

#4 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

There's a trailer out? I'll have to watch that.

, @bam_boozilled said:

In my entire life I've only watched one anime to completion. That being Deadman Wonderland.

If you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop to completion, how can anyone have any faith in your taste in anime; it's like recommending a book when you can't read.

I'm pretty sure I read that Space Dandy is directed by the person who directed Cowboy Bebop. I'm already game to check it out just based on that.

#5 Posted by Lykos (66 posts) -

, @bam_boozilled said:

Coincidentally, the creator of Cowboy Bebop (and Samurai Champloo) is also directing Space Dandy, so expect awesomeness from this one as well.

#6 Posted by Hamst3r (4436 posts) -

From that video, I don't think this anime is for me.

#7 Posted by Itwongo (1100 posts) -

@scrawnto: just hit up wikipedia, and they're directed by the same guy. My interest in the show just went way up.

#8 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

@lykos: I don't think that his other stuff measured up to Cowboy Bebop (particularly Shamploo) thanks mostly to having caricatures instead of main characters. So, the fact this one is based around an apparent caricature of a main character doesn't fill me with hope. However, the animation did look super-slick and I'd certainly try watching it at least once.

#9 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

I'm pretty sure I read that Space Dandy is directed by the person who directed Cowboy Bebop. I'm already game to check it out just based on that.

@lykos said:

Coincidentally, the creator of Cowboy Bebop (and Samurai Champloo) is also directing Space Dandy, so expect awesomeness from this one as well.

Now I'm interested.

#10 Edited by TheHT (10804 posts) -

Funny, I was just wondering what Shinichiro Watanabi was up to these days. Apparently "Kids on the Slope" happened since the last time I checked, and now there's this.

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

I really like the alien designs. The trailer showed nothing about the plot of the show so who knows if it will be any fun to watch. It looks like it will be a pretty anime at least.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (21205 posts) -

Naked Cartoon... Cleavage.

#14 Posted by Flappy (2113 posts) -

, @bam_boozilled said:

I love Cowboy Bebop as much as the next person, but I'm always reluctant to hype it up like that. If there's anything that can ruin someone's impression of a product, it's uncontrolled hype.

*ahem*

Cowboy Bebop is totally mediocre and you shouldn't go into it expecting anything resembling a coherent plot, character development, or good production values. With that being said, Inuyasha is the greatest anime of all time and serves as the gold standard for anime of all genres.

All of that might've been bullshit, but it's my foolish attempt at keeping duder's expectations in check, alright? Besides, everyone knows that FLCL is the greatest anime of all time, so it's not like anyone will take that italicized portion seriously. Oh! When it comes to Cowboy Bebop, I personally recommend the English Dub.

#15 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Believe it or not, there are people out there who don't particularly care for Cowboy Bebop. I am one of them. I'm not really much of an anime guy, but I'll die by Hajime no Ippo and Nodame Cantabile so I'm not a complete anime noob.

I think this is the first case of someone who needed to watch "more" anime.

#16 Edited by Bam_Boozilled (150 posts) -

@kidavenger: I think I tried watching Cowboy Beebop when it was on adult swim Toonami, but it was somewhere randomly in the middle of the series and I didn't watch much of it. Same with Fullmetal Alchemist. Which I'm starting to watch on Netflix.

That being said I don't expect anyone to take my word for taste in anime. That's what you guys are for.

#17 Posted by chiablo (893 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop was great when I watched it in it's entirety back in the early 2000's, but doesn't hold up to repeat viewings. I tried to watch it again recently and couldn't get through the first few episodes before getting bored. Great style and atmosphere, but the pace is incredibly slow and plodding.

#18 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

I would say the fact that you even know what Deadman Wonderland is means you watch too much.

#19 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

@chiablo said:

Cowboy Bebop was great when I watched it in it's entirety back in the early 2000's, but doesn't hold up to repeat viewings. I tried to watch it again recently and couldn't get through the first few episodes before getting bored. Great style and atmosphere, but the pace is incredibly slow and plodding.

The movie is great if you want to watch some Cowboy Bebop over and over.

#20 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

It looks OK, but it looks like it's trying a lot harder to be a retro 80s anime parody and ends up looking kind of unoriginal. Beebop was inspired by a lot of stuff but seemed more original than this.

That's just my first impression. If the writing is good though I won't care.

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@lykos said:

Now I'm interested.

That's how I was when found that out until I saw all of the childish fan service bullshit in the trailer so now I'm back on the fence.

#22 Posted by bigjeffrey (4710 posts) -

Hentai

#23 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

I would say the fact that you even know what Deadman Wonderland is means you watch too much.

I would say he had a rough start. But hey, at least he didn't watched Gantz. Oh god, that show is so bad... so bad...

@bam_boozilled: Hey man, swing by if you want to. Anime Discussion Thread III

#24 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The space boobs....

#25 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

I really like the alien designs. The trailer showed nothing about the plot of the show so who knows if it will be any fun to watch. It looks like it will be a pretty anime at least.

#26 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (727 posts) -

BONES originals scare me these days and I tend to stay away from them, but after looking up the writing staff and director for Space Dandy I'm a lot more optimistic about this show now. Hopefully it turns out well because their last attempt at an original IP was an absolute train wreck.

#27 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

I don't concur. The fact that he thinks Deadman Wonderland is "great" definitely raises an eyebrow though....

That said this was a slick trailer, fun, didn't take itself seriously, and if you knew anime well you would know all the boobie stuff is actually sort of a self dig on where most shows go these days.

#28 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Y-yeah. Same here. There's cool and there's 'trying desperately to look cool' and this was the latter.

I just don't get anime. I try and I try to understand the appeal but its just a friggin mystery to me.

#29 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

For anyone who doesn't know what Deadman Wonderland is, here's the TV edit. Enjoy:

TVTropes says they had to rewrite parts of the second season. Has anyone tried to edit Black Lagoon for TV? How does that sound?

Speaking of Black Lagoon, if you liked this @bam_boozilled, then Black Lagoon should be your next step, no questions asked.

#30 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@bam_boozilled: It's like some crazy acid trip version of Cowboy Bebop.

#31 Edited by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

Not for me ... rarely like these more "parody like" anime.

#32 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@bam_boozilled: It's like some crazy acid trip version of Cowboy Bebop.

#33 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

@mysteriousbob:

Means you havent found the correct one to watch ... do not fret duder , maybe you just dont like it at all :( sad but that can happen. Anyway I will sugest some , perhaps you could like them: Death Note , Serial Experiments Lain , Escaflowne ... also some anime films like Ghost in the Shell , Skycrawlers , Jin Roh Vampire Hunter D , Ninja Scroll , Akira , maybe one of those will be more to your liking ( I consider them more like animated films than anime proper ... when you see them you will unerstand).

#34 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Y-yeah. Same here. There's cool and there's 'trying desperately to look cool' and this was the latter.

I just don't get anime. I try and I try to understand the appeal but its just a friggin mystery to me.

Appeal? It's not like Anime is all similar to each other... I have 3 favorite anime for different reasons;

Steins;gate because of it's use of characters, it's actually pretty funny and dramatic at the same time, and it's intriguing and fairly smart time travel plot

Bodacious Space Pirates because it's just this super positive impression of the future, it's not interested in saving the world or anything, just 'piracy'.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because it's just a fantastic journey that doesn't have any filler.

Unless you're talking about the animation itself, which if that's the case might I suggest Aku No Hana? Everyone loves rotoscoping!

#35 Edited by phantomzxro (1558 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@lykos said:

Now I'm interested.

I'm in!

#37 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

The most recent episode of Attack on Titan is a good example of why people should watch more anime. Great stuff. I usually never tell people to watch anime unless they explicitly ask about it, but yeah, I'd recommend that to anyone.

#38 Edited by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@animasta said:

Unless you're talking about the animation itself, which if that's the case might I suggest Aku No Hana? Everyone loves rotoscoping!

That's a little low there, Flowers of Evil was the greatest comedy anime of last season. Seriously, you can't watch it and not bust out into hysterical laughter.

#39 Posted by SargeGulp (237 posts) -

Hopefully this is good. I haven't seen anything since Lagann that I've really enjoyed. I'm also too lazy to sift through all the crap that comes out to find anything..

#40 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

Getting "Killer is Dead" vibes off of this. Is he a space gigolo?

#41 Edited by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@animasta said:

That's a little low there, Flowers of Evil was the greatest comedy anime of last season. Seriously, you can't watch it and not bust out into hysterical laughter.

Hey, I love Aku no hana!

because of the ending song, admittedly, but still.

(in reality it was too uncomfortable for me to watch)

#42 Posted by NegativeCero (2973 posts) -

Oh man, that music is glorious. I'll be watching this now. Thanks.

Also, lizard boobs!

#43 Posted by Daneian (1202 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop means more to me than any of my friends and the majority of my family but man I can't get behind any of Watanbe's other stuff I've seen.

#44 Edited by Bam_Boozilled (150 posts) -

@alexandersheen said:

@alecofthewest said:

I would say he had a rough start. But hey, at least he didn't watched Gantz. Oh god, that show is so bad... so bad...

@bam_boozilled: Hey man, swing by if you want to. Anime Discussion Thread III

I might take you up on that. I've been looking for some new shows to watch seeing as the one I'm watching now is ending. Judging from other people I'm missing out on some good ones.

#45 Posted by BisonHero (6051 posts) -

Space Dandy is...a dandy guy in the space.

#46 Posted by redelectric (151 posts) -

@daneian: Did you watch Kids on the Slope?

#47 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

@karkarov: I hadn't realized Deadman was on Toonami's lineup at one point. I suppose that broadens the audience for it a little. And it was an alright show... aesthetically, at least.

#48 Posted by jiggajoe14 (631 posts) -

Watanabe can do no wrong in my eyes. Can't wait for this.

On a side-note I hated Deadman Wonderland's anime. Manga was so much better.

#49 Edited by hollitz (1397 posts) -

, @bam_boozilled said:

Cowboy Bebop had like 4 or 5 good episodes. Most of it is boring.

#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Really, really not digging the art style. It looks so low-budget compared to the rest of the stuff Watanabe has been attached to.