Those of you who like Folk music, what do you think of this?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

No Caption Provided
Visually, he's a mix of Bubbles from The Wire and more obviously, Barack Obama. His name is Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, and he is a twenty-six year-old singer-songwriter from Brooklyn, New York. He has opened for Grizzly Bear, (Grizzly Bear bassist, Chris Taylor produced his debut album and the rest of the band played on it , as well as some of the members of TV On the Radio) TV On the Radio,and also the band Black Kids, or as I like to call them, "Untalented twats whose buzz thankfully died out as quick as it came." I've been researching this guy a fair bit, and what I've found out sort of breaks down like this:

In terms of delivery, imagine Bob Dylan with an even bigger ego, and a decent voice.

Anyway, his guitar playing is quite good, and he'll definitely remind people of some of Dylan's older stuff, mainly in his delivery. I'd describe his voice as honest, which is a good thing. From what I've read, guy has a bit of an attitude problem, (And also a major drinking problem) that may prevent him from truly breaking out, but it's not like Dylan-inspired folk has a chance at getting mainstream any time soon. Getting back to that "Honest" voice, it also carries over into his lyrics. He curses often, and while that's a rarity in folk, it suits him. A lot of his songs are critical of his life; this type of self-reference usually falls flat on its face because most singers are in love with themselves, Miles isn't. With his approach to song-writing being mostly filled with self-disappointment and failures, he comes off as having a level of, again, honesty--sort of like when Lou Reed made Heroin with The Velvet Underground. Take this lyric from Buriedfed for example, where Miles depicts his own mental funeral:

"This is my last song about myself, about my friends,
Found something else to sing.
Try and patch it up with tape and twine,
Maybe I'll just break everything that's mine.

They wheeled out my casket,
They said, "Boy, lay down your head"
I said, "Aw shit, man, I ain't even dead"
I won't be buried for I'm...

My friend, who's a real yo-yo
She's always crying, and no one knows why
She's gonna be alright
Lost her past in a fuzzy fire
Wasn't even drunk, just a little tired last night

And they took her to the doctor
To fix her heart, and heal her head
She said, "Goddamn, I'm tired of being polite
Go save somebody else"

This song is the one that really got me listening to his record a lot more. There's a weird skip after the first verse that was probably not noticed in the mixing, (I don't see how, but whatever) and that takes a bit getting used to, but that aside, it's a great record.

(No stupid comments please...I list very explicitly what type of music this is...so don't be mad at me if you're not into it.)
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

No Caption Provided
Visually, he's a mix of Bubbles from The Wire and more obviously, Barack Obama. His name is Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, and he is a twenty-six year-old singer-songwriter from Brooklyn, New York. He has opened for Grizzly Bear, (Grizzly Bear bassist, Chris Taylor produced his debut album and the rest of the band played on it , as well as some of the members of TV On the Radio) TV On the Radio,and also the band Black Kids, or as I like to call them, "Untalented twats whose buzz thankfully died out as quick as it came." I've been researching this guy a fair bit, and what I've found out sort of breaks down like this:

In terms of delivery, imagine Bob Dylan with an even bigger ego, and a decent voice.

Anyway, his guitar playing is quite good, and he'll definitely remind people of some of Dylan's older stuff, mainly in his delivery. I'd describe his voice as honest, which is a good thing. From what I've read, guy has a bit of an attitude problem, (And also a major drinking problem) that may prevent him from truly breaking out, but it's not like Dylan-inspired folk has a chance at getting mainstream any time soon. Getting back to that "Honest" voice, it also carries over into his lyrics. He curses often, and while that's a rarity in folk, it suits him. A lot of his songs are critical of his life; this type of self-reference usually falls flat on its face because most singers are in love with themselves, Miles isn't. With his approach to song-writing being mostly filled with self-disappointment and failures, he comes off as having a level of, again, honesty--sort of like when Lou Reed made Heroin with The Velvet Underground. Take this lyric from Buriedfed for example, where Miles depicts his own mental funeral:

"This is my last song about myself, about my friends,
Found something else to sing.
Try and patch it up with tape and twine,
Maybe I'll just break everything that's mine.

They wheeled out my casket,
They said, "Boy, lay down your head"
I said, "Aw shit, man, I ain't even dead"
I won't be buried for I'm...

My friend, who's a real yo-yo
She's always crying, and no one knows why
She's gonna be alright
Lost her past in a fuzzy fire
Wasn't even drunk, just a little tired last night

And they took her to the doctor
To fix her heart, and heal her head
She said, "Goddamn, I'm tired of being polite
Go save somebody else"

This song is the one that really got me listening to his record a lot more. There's a weird skip after the first verse that was probably not noticed in the mixing, (I don't see how, but whatever) and that takes a bit getting used to, but that aside, it's a great record.

(No stupid comments please...I list very explicitly what type of music this is...so don't be mad at me if you're not into it.)
anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By anarchyzombie9

You need some fucking Maiden on here....so badass.....

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Sounds good, but his voice definitely sounded better when it was more intense, which may be a direct contrast to Dylan, who did the mellower stuff really well.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By harrisonave

I like it.  I do love his honesty, which I suppose is what's really winning me over.  I'll have to give him more of  a listen when... it's not 12 in the morning on a Monday.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akeldama

this is my folk music: 

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spike94

As a fan of Dylan's music, I am stoked. Hmm...not a fan of the echo, nor the swears, but he's definitly good. I'll go listen to more of his stuff sometime, thanks!

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce
@Arkthemaniac:

That's what I love about him, the way he sort of explodes. But as you said, Dylan did that as well, but often sounded weak, where as Miles sounds powerful and intense. However when he sings soft, he isn't as effective, where as Dylan was.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spike94

I completely take it back. I have grown accustomed to the echoey stuff and like it.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bruce
@Spike94:

Those effects aren't used much on the rest of his songs.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
@Bruce said:
" @Arkthemaniac: That's what I love about him, the way he sort of explodes. But as you said, Dylan did that as well, but often sounded weak, where as Miles sounds powerful and intense. However when he sings soft, he isn't as effective, where as Dylan was. "
Hey whoa whoa whoa WHOA.

I never said anything about Dylan sounding weak. 
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I like some folk every now and then. That song was pretty nice but this is where I normally get my dosage of folk (or folk rock or whatever...):

I still prefer Thrice to Dustin's solo stuff, but he still does amazing work.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

the chorus or delay effect on his voice is fucking dumb. 

and i think its retarded somebody tried comparing him to Bob Dylan. 
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bruce
@TwoOneFive:

Dumb and retarded? Consistency with your mental deficiencies!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By breadfan
@Bruce said:
In terms of delivery, imagine Bob Dylan with an even bigger ego, and a decent voice
Bob Dylan's an awesome singer

Liked this song, I'm gonna check out some more of his stuff
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EVO

He's OK, but he's no Blood Meridian:

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spike94
@Bruce: Ah, okay man, sweet. I'll definitly check out more of his stuff sometime. Thanks again, and have a good one.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bruce, you're a lighthouse, a waypoint, through this dense and pock-marked and confusing world of indie music.

Good suggestion here. Another good suggestion. Thanks for steering me towards this.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

I thought the kids called folk music indy music now.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bruce
@ryanwho:

He is Indie, but the actual genre is folk. Indie is just an umbrella term for artists who aren't well known.
JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By JamesF

1. Dylan isn't folk.

2. Dylan > This guy.

3. This guy isn't much like Dylan. He kinda sucks.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bruce
@JamesF:

Learn your music before you come steppin' son!

Dylan is the definition of Folk, and yes they are similar.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwoOneFive

that dude looks drunk as shit. almost zero expression as he sings and his eyes are all droopy. 

@JamesF said:
" 1. Dylan isn't folk.

2. Dylan > This guy.

3. This guy isn't much like Dylan. He kinda sucks.
"
Dylan is folk ya moron. But he was waaayyyyyy better than this guy.  but if you don't think dylan was folk then what do you call this:
(they used it for watchmen movie hence the watchmen stuff just ignore it)

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bruce
@TwoOneFive: 

It's his first video, dude was a TAD nervous.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By evanbrau
@Sir_Ragnarok: Your avatar is awesome.

Loving this one, am a big folk head and now have something new to listen to for the first time in ages. Thanks man.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bruce
@evanbrau: 

You might like that as well.