• 72 results
tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tutuboy95

I'm a Hindu, so when someone dies, it's common for their body to be cremated, with their ashes spread over the Ganges River (back in India, of course - I've never had the misfortune to have a family member here in the States pass away). I never truly thought about it. I've also been to funerals and burials here in the United States, where they are buried 6 feet deep and a tombstone marks their resting place. Cemeteries and graveyards (I've been down to Arlington as well), in my opinion, are sort of sacred places. I'm not a religious person, but I always make it a point to respect the dead. But I never really thought too much about that either.

Of course, I began thinking differently when I saw an episode of Harry's Law, a now-cancelled fantastic NBC law show written by David Kelley that often tackled controversial issues in its cases, this being one of them. There was a lawsuit against the owner of a funeral home, who was reportedly using ashes (from cremations) to spread over fruits and vegetables at his stand (he also owned a fruit stand, and apparently, spreading ashes makes the produce fresher and preserve longer). Admittedly, that itself is disgusting. However, is burying bodies truly any better?

For those not exactly privy to the science behind it, when a body is enbalmed to preserve it, many chemicals, such as formaldehyde, are used to put the body in this sort of pristine state. It's not uncommon for these chemicals to seep into the soil as the body decays over time, and this heavily harms the environment. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of enbalming liquid is buried in the US every year, and enbalmer fluid has been known to cause cancer. Furthermore, the costs of a funeral are pretty high. (I am not trying to make funerals sound like a waster expense).

Cremation isn't 100% safe either. Cremation releases quite a bit of mercury into the environment, as some is needed to burn a body to pure ash. But, my understanding is that cremation is less taxing on the environment and less costly as a whole.

I don't mean to say funerals are terrible. I respect funerals, the dead, and where the dead are buried. But I only wonder, is it really the right thing to do? Even if we have a tombstone to visit, which can be very comforting, should we continue to destroy the environment? What do you guys think?

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

We can't even die without being accused of hurting the environmental. UGH.

Zandatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zandatsu

I want to be thrown into the sea and eaten by fish.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sissylion

Put me in a hole in the ground with no barrier and let nature go to work. From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Viking funeral

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

I don't really care! Probably getting cremated because it seems cheaper/easier. But more power to people and their traditions, if it brings someone peace to bury a friend, then why not. I seriously doubt it could stress nature too much.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I really don't want a funeral when I die, and I plan on requesting cremation. I just see funeral services as a waste of money that could go toward something else.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By falserelic

When I die there's no need to spend extra money on me. Just burn me in a fire and throw my ashes in a river. Besides I ain't got much people that actually cares about me. So I wouldn't be remembered at all.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli

If it'd be an option, I'd want my corpse to be lain on a beautiful field, out in the open, and let nature take its course. Be food for the birds, the worms, and whatnot - be carrion for the carrion eaters. May crows partake in my spirit, and wisper Odin of my heroic deeds and bravery (and other videogame related grandstanding).

Kind of a elephant graveyard. A bone garden. Both gruesome, yet life affirming. You grok?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Burials and cremations are just cultural things that have nothing to do with nature. When we die, our goal as the dead is to feed bacteria and be apart of the world as we deteriorate. While burials surely concur to that, it's pointlessly expensive and gaudy. Just dig your dead into the dirt, maybe impale a stick in the grave, and let the Earth do the rest. Science, folks.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

In the super unlikely chance that zombies are real, I want my body to be buried so my corpse can attack the living.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

@MooseyMcMan said:

In the super unlikely chance that zombies are real, I want my body to be buried so my corpse can attack the living.

Your right being a zombie would be aswome. Then we all should dance together just like in the MJ vid.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

@BombcastGoldthwait said:

Viking funeral

This.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

I want to be turned into Soylent Green...or a hot dog.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli

@falserelic:

Michael Jackson was an Alien. Not a Zombie. Sorry to break it to you. That's been an act man. Have it right out the horse's mouth...

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By szlifier

I don't think I would care. I will focus on things that happen before my death.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Jams

@Bobby_The_Great said:

Viking funeral

This.

Tie me to a boat push the boat off the shore and shoot a flaming arrow at me... IF YOU CAN

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falserelic

@Seppli said:

@falserelic:

Michael Jackson was an Alien. Not a Zombie. Sorry to break it to you. That's been an act man. Have it right out the horse's mouth...

LOL! so scary movie was like the aftermath of that vid.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

My father and grandfather are buried next to each other, and I think it would be rad to be buried next to them, just to have one spot for my decedents to visit in respect. In reality though, I don't really care what happens to my body. Burn it up and flush it, I'll be long gone.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

I really don't care what happens to me when I'm dead. I'll be dead.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mandude

I guess I'm cool with whatever, if mother nature prefers it that way. I don't really see the point in burial ceremonies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think putting me in the water near a waterall and letting me float down until I fall down the waterfall like a dead bear in Skyrim is the only appropriate way for me to go.

Funerals are a waste of money, and cremation is less interesting and still costs more money than it should.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Strife777

As others have said, it doesn't really matter once you're dead. But of those two I would prefer cremation, let's not waste space. But is giving your body to science an actual thing you can do, like for medical research or whatever? I guess it would only make sense, because I would probably pick that option.

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tutuboy95

@Strife777: I believe so, but I think it's more common for those who die of rare diseases than those who die of natural causes or accidents. I'm not really a huge science guy, so I'm not 100% sure though.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chop

I'm giving scientists my body to play with when I'm dead. Either that or just getting thrown into a swamp somewhere for some hungry crocs.

However, I'd much rather be cremated than buried if I was forced to choose those two. Fucking caskets are like a billion dollars and I'm a pragmatic dude...even in death.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@BraveToaster said:

I really don't want a funeral when I die, and I plan on requesting cremation. I just see funeral services as a waste of money that could go toward something else.

Those mortician's and embalmer's got to get paid.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By buzz_clik

I'm getting cremated, having my ashes put into paint, and then a painting of a sunset will be created with me. I will then be hung on the wall.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Canteu

I want to be sent up in a hot air balloon, and exploded.

A man can dream.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Animasta

@buzz_clik said:

I'm getting cremated, having my ashes put into paint, and then a painting of a sunset will be created with me. I will then be hung on the wall.

I dunno, a person who would paint with such a thing would probably be pretty morbid!

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sockemjetpack

Cremated and then mixed into paint. Then the paint will get used in a portrait of something cool. Like Megaman or dogs smoking cigars.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By pyromagnestir

Burial at sea or being launched into space are my preferred methods of body disposal. Shoot me into the stars!

Short of either of those I guess I'll take cremation.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BraveToaster

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@BraveToaster said:

Those mortician's and embalmer's got to get paid.

The same could be said about the people who offer cremation services. In my case, the money goes to the crematorium.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By buzz_clik

@Animasta said:

@buzz_clik said:

I dunno, a person who would paint with such a thing would probably be pretty morbid!

Who's to say they'd know?

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sissylion

@buzz_clik: Ed Headrick had his ashes molded into Frisbees and given to his family members. Your idea is also good.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buzz_clik

@sissylion said:

@buzz_clik: Ed Headrick had his ashes molded into Frisbees and given to his family members. Your idea is also good.

Hey, I like the frisbee angle!

Yeah, I thought of the painting thing when I was a teenager, and I've never been able to shake the idea of it being what I truly want to have happen.

gtg12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gtg12

I would want to be buried when I die.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By ssj4raditz

Shoot me into space! That wouldn't hurt the environment at all, right?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Biodegradable caskets, that's what's next isn't it?

Fuck a casket, fuck formaldehyde, just bury me and let it rot. Definitely want a cool tombstone though.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mandude

@buzz_clik said:

@sissylion said:

Hey, I like the frisbee angle!

Yeah, I thought of the painting thing when I was a teenager, and I've never been able to shake the idea of it being what I truly want to have happen.

What if they get it irredeemably wrong and have to throw it in the bin? Otherwise, your legacy will be reduced to being a sub-par piece of art.

How about having someone convert your ashes into a Photoshop brush? Then they could paint endless things with your essence, and you'd never be at risk of being a mistake on some piece of canvas?

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hyuzen

Its an interesting issue, I recently heard how much a funeral can cost and its pretty expensive. If I get the kind of job where I can set aside the kind of money necessary for a funeral I would likely go that route, possibly a cremation though. Either option is fairly pricey, which makes me not want to go with either choice, especially in the event that I die before I have a plan/money for that sort of thing. I know family and friends would like a ceremony but honestly i think I would rather go in a fairly inexpensive way, whatever that may be. Just dig a hole in my backyard and put me in there with a simple marker or something.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ripelivejam

if i'm going to be launched into space freeze me before whatever fatal disease/condition takes me so if i'm discovered i can be resuscitated and given immortality by an alien intelligence. #srhadden

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NekuCTR

I feel like cremation is the most logical choice for burial at this point. Even non-cascated burials present issues considering how many of us there are. The living take up too much space as it is. Relatives have a right to make their peace, but clinging to a dead body as a symbol of someone is superficial, and perhaps even a little ignorant.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SmilingPig

I would give my body to science but I don’t want my head chopped off and given to dentist so they can refine their cruel arts.

What if a rotting brain has tiny micro-moments of conciseness?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pinworm45

Donating to science all the way, if my dead body can save or improve the life of even 1 person, it's selfish not to

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crusader8463

I really don't care what happens to me when I'm dead. I'll be dead.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Grimhild

Viking funeral

All of this.

Also, we bury our dead above ground where I live, soooooo....

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Slay3r1583

Has anybody ever had to pay for a funeral? Screw that, shit is expensive. I plan on making myself useful and donating my body to a medical school.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LikeaSsur

I feel as though people saying they don't want a funeral are missing the point of one. The funeral isn't for you, obviously, it's a way for all of your close friends and family to say goodbye and help each other move on.

Can that happen without an official service? Yeah, but there's a certain solidarity and sense of community that a funeral brings out in people.

Or maybe that's just me and my religion that does that, whatever.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By hawkinson76

To all how say you do not care: do none of you have a wife or children? As an atheist I agree that it won't matter to me, but it will mean a lot to my loved ones. It is not a question of how much trouble is your corpse worth, its how much your wife and children's piece of mind is worth.

This is a conversation everyone needs to have, especially because some of us will meet an untimely end.

Neither my wife not I have any kind of family resting place within two thousand miles, so we would be starting from scratch here in southern california. We have three kids, so I really do want a place where survivors can go to grieve/remember/etc. I'm leaning towards cremation and a section of a mausoleum, but we haven't made any arrangements, and we really should have by now.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Red

I think all death traditions are pretty beautiful. I want to be buried, though. I remember hearing Neil Degrasse Tyson talk about how, when he dies, he would like to be buried underground to have his body feed the flora and fauna around him, and have his physical remains become one with the physical world. I think that's pretty poetic.