• 89 results
#1 Posted by TheRealJpoe (135 posts) -

I never gave it much thought until I was about to get my drivers license. The lady at the DMV asked me if I wanted to have it marked on my drivers license. I didn't really care & sugery/medical stuff always scared the living hell out of me, so I immediately said no. Plus my mom who was with me at the time also said no, I come from a pretty hardcore Christian family (not that it's a bad thing). I just finished an anime show that had a story arch concerning it that really got to me (not going to say what show because this isn't an Anime is for jerks thread). I'm now 18 & have the option to chose for myself. I'm really tempted to fill out the stuff on the back of my drivers license for it, but still have some concerns. First I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I want to put. I don't think anyone should have my lungs since I'm a smoker. My liver is probably out of the question from a youth of junk food & questionable choices concerning alcohol. & I want to keep my heart, for personal reasons. But what does that really leave left? does it even matter & will they take what ever they can get? Plus my mind races with other hypothetical posabilitys. What if I fill it out wrong & they end up taking my entire body, I want to be buried. What if I change my mind but randomly die before I can get it removed. Or what if I need some of that stuff in some sort of weird afterlife (this one is pretty stupid I know).

I'd love to hear some of you duders thoughts on the subject & maybe some suggestions. I just wanted to share what I was thinking about. Also sorry if there was already a thread about this that I missed, not wanting to post topics that have already been covered.

#2 Posted by believer258 (12081 posts) -

I can't name any afterlife where you need your body. Well, there is a parable where Jesus says that it's better to enter Heaven maimed than not at all, but that's a parable and I don't believe he meant for you to pluck out your eye or chop off your hand literally.

Anyhoo, just don't offer your body up for donation if you're uncomfortable with it. Personally, I don't care. After I'm done with it, anybody can take what they want from it. There's no possibility for me to return to it, so I won't need it anymore.

On a final note, I gotta know what anime that was. It's just a deep, itching curiousity.

#3 Edited by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

In the case of organ donation, your death might mean life for someone else. Or even multiple people. It's incredibly selfish not to be an organ donor. Besides, it's not like you can take them with you.

#4 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I can't think of a particularly good reason to not be an organ donor. I'm all for it.

#5 Posted by Brendan (7982 posts) -

1. The doctors who concern themselves with your body aren't going to take anything and everything willy nilly and stick it all in some poor sucker. I don't know the extent of what goes where with organ donation, but if you're concerned with saving lives then rest assured that they probably won't take some charred lung and put it in a cancer patient.

2. I personally believe that the need to be buried and have a tomb is to selfishly enshrine yourself after your death due to your hubris while alive. If you can save even one person in your death then that is worth far more than knowing that your corpse will have its own paid for plot in the ground, in my opinion. If you're concerned with yourself even when it does you literally zero good, more than others in need, then fuuuuuuck you.

#6 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

Corneas (part of the eye) can be donated (and are quite common donations from the deceased). Generally your kidneys will be in working order and so can also be donated. Other things like bones, the pancreas and skin can be donated.

Personally I'm putting everything internal up for donation apart from the heart.

#7 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I've been kind of putting it off mostly out of laziness, but one of these days I've really gotta sign up to be one. I think saving someone else's life as a result of yours is kinda beautiful, maaaan. At least somebody benefits. And in the event, I'll be dead, so what'll I care? I kinda like the idea of getting my whole body cremated and spread somewhere but between where my incinerated carcass lies and someone else living, the choice seems pretty clear to me.

#8 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

My organs are staying right the fuck in. Seriously though, there really isn't any reason not to do it. I'm sure He'll understand.

#9 Edited by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

@TheRealJpoe: Offer all of your organs but your heart, since your heart apparently has special significance to you. They will examine and see what is usable. Your lungs are probably out, but your liver or at least part of it is fine. They can also take eyes and other things that might be of use. Even your skin can be reused for tissue donation. There is plenty for doctors to use from your body no matter how rough you think you've lived. Just do it.

And, hey, I'm a "hardcore" Christian. I'm a devoted servant of Christ. But He doesn't care about this silly flesh. It will fade away along with everything else in this world. If my body can be useful to someone else after my death, then that's just an added blessing. Don't overthink it. Organ donation is a great thing.

#10 Edited by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Far as I know, the Bible doesn't say anything that would condemn organ donation. I'm actually pretty sure we get new bodies once we cross the finish line, so the idea of wanting to hold on to your body parts once you're gone seems unnecessary.

#11 Edited by TheRealJpoe (135 posts) -

@believer258 said:

On a final note, I gotta know what anime that was. It's just a deep, itching curiousity.

ha, it is Angel Beats. The first part is in a flash back during episode 7 & the second part is in episode 9.

@Brendan said:

2. I personally believe that the need to be buried and have a tomb is to selfishly enshrine yourself after your death due to your hubris while alive. If you can save even one person in your death then that is worth far more than knowing that your corpse will have its own paid for plot in the ground, in my opinion. If you're concerned with yourself even when it does you literally zero good, more than others in need, then fuuuuuuck you.

Well I'm kinda embarrassed that I had to look up two words in this paragraph, but how I want to be laid to rest doesn't mean I can't donate & still help people. Hell a burial out at sea or maybe preserved in a gold statue (if I somehow become rich & famous) sound like cool ideas to me if you're concerned with plot space.

#12 Posted by PandaBear (1379 posts) -

@Brendan said:

1. The doctors who concern themselves with your body aren't going to take anything and everything willy nilly and stick it all in some poor sucker. I don't know the extent of what goes where with organ donation, but if you're concerned with saving lives then rest assured that they probably won't take some charred lung and put it in a cancer patient.

This. So much.

@TruthTellah said:

@TheRealJpoe: Offer all of your organs but your heart, since your heart apparently has special significance to you. They will examine and see what is usable. Your lungs are probably out, but your liver or at least part of it is fine. They can also take eyes and other things that might be of use. Even your skin can be reused for tissue donation. There is plenty for doctors to use from your body no matter how rough you think you've lived. Just do it.

And, hey, I'm a "hardcore" Christian. I'm a devoted servant of Christ. But He doesn't care about this silly flesh. It will fade away along with everything else in this world. If my body can be useful to someone else after my death, then that's just an added blessing. Don't overthink it. Organ donation is a great thing.

It's funny because after I read that all I could think was I'm a "hardcore" atheist and I think one thing we can definitely agree on is your body is useless after death, regardless of what happens next.

OP: I think if you ever met someone who's been saved by organ donation you'd know it's a no-brainer - it literally saves lives.

#13 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

penis donor

And Wikipedia tells me that organ donation is allowed by pretty much every religion in the world.

#14 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

They can have it all, the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

#15 Posted by jking47 (1242 posts) -

My instructions will be to take anything but whats on my head, and to freeze my head until my family can pay for it to be attached to a robot body.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

penis donor

And Wikipedia tells me that organ donation is allowed by pretty much every religion in the world.

way I see it, is because in religion, usually once you die, the body and soul separate (if you do go to heaven, or purgatory, or get reborn, or fucking whatever) so the body is literally useless at that point, to you.

#17 Posted by ceruelantransience (27 posts) -

You say you come from a Christian family. What could be more Christ-like than sacrificing your body and blood in the hopes it might save others?

#18 Edited by Korolev (1722 posts) -

Even if you are a smoker, a smoker's lungs are better than no lungs at all. Organ donation is a tricky business. First, they don't just take "anyone's" organs. Even if you are an Organ donor, the odds of your organs actually being used is slim. Basically, for doctors to take your organs, you have to be brain dead, and a donor, and your family, Statutory Health Attorney or someone with "Enduring" power of attorney has to allow the hospital to pull the plug on you. They need the organs in prime condition for them to use - if you die in a car crash, heart attack, or just about any other way other than dying due to termination of life-support, then they can't use the organs.

If you sign up to be an organ donor, you can't choose which organs you want donated and which you don't want. It's anything they can use. But as long as you don't donate your corpse to medical school use or scientific research (and you really should, we need the bodies, they're useful) they're not going to take "everything". They'll only take the important organs that can be transplanted - Liver, Maybe a Kidney or Two, perhaps the lungs, heart, maybe corneas, but that's about it. Usually just lungs, liver, heart and kidneys, although they can transplant faces these days (but it is VERY rare for them to take a person's face. As in, it's only been done a couple of times in human history. Although it might become more common later on, as technology improves).

I'm an organ donor AND I have signed a document which allows the medical school of the University of Queensland to use my body in whatever way they want when I'm dead, if my organs are unsuitable for use in transplant. I figure that if I'm dead, anyone can do whatever they want with my body. I ain't using it. I'm gone. It's just the shell that I was using when my brain was still active. Once my brain is no longer active or alive, the rest of my body is useless to me.

And no, you don't have to be worried about doctors letting you die to steal your organs. First of all, the Black Market already has the illegal organ angle covered - they steal (or pay really small amounts of money for) organs from the poor people in the developing world, and there's plenty of them, so no doctor, no matter how greedy for money, would be insane enough to undertake the risk of killing a person in a hospital in the developed world, when they can simply pay people a couple of thousand bucks for their organs in the developing world. Second of all, most doctors are not evil. I've worked with them. They're generally pretty alright sorts of folks. Third - doctors are concerned with saving lives. Not ending them. We're not going to kill one person to save another, because at the end of the day, no net amount of lives are saved.

Organ donation is really useful. It saves lives. It lengthens lives. In Australia, we're currently facing a huge crisis in organ donors - not enough people are donating organs for some reason. In the UK, they are trialing a very sensible solution - instead of an "opt in" organ donation program, it's an "opt out". Everyone over 18 is automatically an Organ donor unless they actively opt out. That's a great system and I hope they bring it over to Australia.

Help doctors save lives. Be an Organ Donor.

#19 Posted by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

If you don't donate your organs you pretty much go straight to Hell.

#20 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

Well my thoughts on it. Nobody gets MY organs, their MINE! But hey if any one dun wanna be selfish thats cool.

#21 Posted by troll93 (391 posts) -

Cut me open and take what you want, I'm sure as hell not using it. 

#22 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Well aslong as I'm dead, I mean I won't need them.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

Fucking donate everything- and while we're at it- how can you own something you can't sell? That includes your own body. Christ people! Oh yeah, I was gonna bump that drunk thread.

#24 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Fucking donate everything- and while we're at it- how can you own something you can't sell? That includes your own body. Christ people! Oh yeah, I was gonna bump that drunk thread.

Are you implying people don't own their body?

#25 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

I'd gladly give my organs to someone who needs them/medical science.

Except if my death is directly caused by someone else, in which case I have ordered that my insides be ground into mincemeat and served to my killer so I can haunt them from within.

#26 Edited by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

My family knows that if and when I die that my organs can go to anywhere they're needed. I mean, I'm dead. I don't need them anymore. If my death can help someone else avoid it, that's awesome.

I won't, however, carry an organ donor card. I just have a weird paranoia that if I'm lying there critically ill, and the doctor can let me die and get a liver, a couple of kidneys, a heart, two lungs, a pancreas and whatever else they can harvest from you when you're dead, he might choose to let me die to save several other lives. I know this is a completely dumb and irrational fear. I know that no doctor would ever do that. But I still don't want a doctor knowing he can get his hands on my organs until after I'm dead. It's stupid, I know. But my family know my wishes. That's the important thing. Even if I carried an organ donor card, the hospital would need the permission of my next of kin before they could take the organs anyway. It's not like carrying an organ donor card would speed up the process or anything.

As for you - if you decide you do want to donate your organs, just select all of them apart from any you have personal objections to. The doctors can make a judgement about the condition of your lungs and liver and things like that themselves if/when the time comes. Leave it up to them, don't jump to conclusions like "I eat a lot of junk food, my liver is going to be shit". Who knows. Leave it up to the professionals. They won't give anyone your organs if they're not suitable. And even if they're not suitable for transplant, they might have other uses like medical research which can, indirectly, save lives too.

#27 Posted by medacris (669 posts) -

I'm all for it. If I'm dead and the organs are healthy and intact, I'm no longer using them. Someone else (or science) might really appreciate them.

#28 Posted by BSw (254 posts) -

Of course you should become an organ donor. We're talking about other people drastically in need of organs while you are dead and have no use whatsoever for any of your organs. So the question boils down to 'Do you want to help people/possibly save lives without having to do anything for it except writing it down on a piece of paper, or not?' And since you have multiple organs, we are talking about more than one person that you will be helping.

And don't worry about which of your organs are useful or not, the people removing them from your body are way better in judging that than you are. Also, these people will remove them in such a way that you will still look like everyone remembered you when you are lying in your coffin, so that your friends' and family's grieving process is not affected.

#29 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

In my dictatorship utopia where my word is law, I would make organ donation mandatory. Seriously, if you die, you are not gonna need them where you going, and your organs are better used to saving someone's life or making it a hell of alot better rather than rotting away in some grave.

#30 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

It's crazy not to be a donor, frankly

#31 Posted by hoossy (937 posts) -

@TheRealJpoe:

You can specify in how you want your body to be treated after death. I wrote a whole report on this for my Technical Writing class.

If you want to donate, there are several nonprofit organizations that can help you make a decision of not only where to donate, but to what sort of science.

Medical, ballistics, forensics, impact testing, etc.

If you really want to know what how a body can be used after death, you should check out the book Stiff, by Mary Roach. It's not for the faint of heart, but its amazing what cadavers have done for science. Seatbelts and airbags were made mandatory because of impact testing done with body donations. Modern CSI only exists because of schools that can study natural decomposition of a body in the wild. Complex medical procedures are practiced by young surgeons on people willing to give up their remains.

Etc, Etc. Do yourself a favor and think it over, especially as you get on in years. Even if you don't think your individual organs would be of much use, your body could help do wonders in saving future generations, including your own family members.

#32 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

What if your organs help to develop a new and more powerful contraceptive pill? Burn in hell, you filthy pagan.

#33 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Girls give me brain all the timmeeeeeeeeee 

shiiittttttttttt

#34 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

My organs are going to be in such a shit state that I doubt they'd be that usable, people are welcome to them though. It's not like I'll be needing them much after being cooked into a pile of ash.

#35 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I like to live a logical, rational and kind life so I can't think of a single reason why I shouldn,t donate every last bit of me. When I'm dead I'll have no need for it so if it can help someone else continue to live theirs then I'm happy to do it.

#36 Posted by Zleunamme (696 posts) -

There is no point in keeping something that you are not going to use ever again. It's scary to think about your own mortality but when the inevitable happens. You are able to give another person the gift of life. More money is spent on a coffin than the most comfortable bed a person will get to sleep in. Donating your body to science will teach future doctors how better perform their jobs.

#37 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I knew you were talking about Angel Beats and, honestly, that's why I became a donor. ;)

#38 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

@TheRealJpoe: A very good friend of mine was killed in a car accident late last March, and his kidney saved the life of a 14 year old boy. His organs all went to people in need and I can tell you it was pretty cool to know that someone I care about saved peoples' lives. Whatever your reservations about it may be, just ask yourself if any of them are more important than saving a life. That's what I did, and I signed up as a donator when I got my license renewed last month.

#39 Posted by Metzo_Paino (321 posts) -

I'll be donating everything and offering my body up for medical science. That way even if I don't achieve much in life my death will hopefully have some sort of positive impact. It's not like I'll be needing it.

#40 Posted by thomasnash (586 posts) -

@TheRealJpoe: If your lungs are screwed from smoking they wouldn't take them, I would say it's worth saying you'll give them just in case, same with liver. I'm not a doctor so maybe someone will tell me otherwise, but if you're 18 I doubt any of your questionable choices will have done enough damage to make those organs worse than no organs. Other organs they take would be kidneys and I think they use parts of the eyes?@believer258 said:

I can't name any afterlife where you need your body. Well, there is a parable where Jesus says that it's better to enter Heaven maimed than not at all, but that's a parable and I don't believe he meant for you to pluck out your eye or chop off your hand literally.

I think it's in revelations, but there's certainly some piece of christian dogma that says that the soul will be reunited with the body on the day of judgment. Sounds like Revelations...

#41 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

well if im dead i dont really need my kidneys. or my lungs, or my heart, or my liver or whatever organ they want.

so yeah, im absolutely an organ donor.

though i did meet this crazy conspiracy theorist last year in a sociology class who kept yelling at everyone for being organ donors because if doctors and EMT's see that you are one, they'll "let you die". it was hilarious.

#42 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

The moment medics see you're an organ donor, it's done. They ain't helping you make it through the night. Besides, my organs have a gypsy curse on them, no one wants that.

#43 Edited by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

You're help to no one rotting in the ground. Registered as soon as I turned 18.

#44 Edited by CatsAkimbo (641 posts) -

There was a very good NPR program about this subject recently. If you really are concerned, definitely give it a listen. Most people don't know exactly what organ donation entails, and whether you want to do it or not, it's good to be informed:

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/19/148296627/blurring-the-line-between-life-and-death

Mostly it goes into how maybe less than 1% of people are even eligible to donate organs because of how they die, and what condition the body is kept in while preserving the organs.

#45 Posted by Eurobum (247 posts) -

@Korolev said:

They need the organs in prime condition for them to use - if you die in a car crash, heart attack, or just about any other way other than dying due to termination of life-support, then they can't use the organs.

Are you saying that fresh road-kill is out of the question for organ harvesting? Maybe in light of large distances and the hot Australian sun. Here, motor-cyclists are sometimes jokingly referred to as organ-donors. Surely it must be a coincidence that OP has to deal with this inquiry when applying for a driver's licence, or is it?

Seriously, though. It's a shady business like all medicine, and it's done mostly because people CAN do it, and because people can charge for it. "Saving lives", is more like prolonging people's suffering, forcing them to live depending on medicine, check-ups, follow-ups, immunosuppressants for the rest of their lives. Also placing massive financial strain on any and all health care systems. Some argue that any kind of life, is an improvement to the quality of life compared to dying, others consider a life spent as a burden to others and at the whim of doctors not worth living.

Other than superstition, the only reason why people's wishes are considered in regards to their dead bodies is to avoid exploitation of human corpses, like selling them as dog food or w/e. When a person is dead, he dead, and thus has no interest, power or domain over what is left. When people decide to become donors, they don't really decide what will happen to them, they'll be too dead to care or to make sure their wishes are met, but really they make it a little bit easier or harder for the practice of organ transplantation as soon as they check the box on the form. Once you understand that, you understand that the whole premise of the question is flawed and at the very least misleading.

Considering science, dead-body-replacements donation probably just slows down the development of artificial replacements, so "for the science" argument is moot. But maybe it's good surgeon training for other transplant jobs, or maybe replacement clone parts, who knows. Science deals with the unknown, there is no conclusive arguments to be made either way.

In my country blood donors also become organ donors, so this issue was kind of decided for me, when I donated blood. I don't care enough to opt out, I just drive carefully.

#46 Posted by AlisterCat (5698 posts) -

I'm not allowed to give away my filthy organs or blood. A shame.

#47 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I wish I could be one but I can't. Not allowed

#48 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

My initial feelings on the matter is I don't want anyone else to have them. I bet could be talked into it with the right human interest story, though.

#49 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel said:

I can't think of a particularly good reason to not be an organ donor. I'm all for it.

This sums it up.

#50 Edited by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

I'm an atheist and a registered organ donor, I indicated that they can take everything. And if you're religious and worry about the afterlife, ask yourself this. If your final act on this Earth is to save the life of one or several other people, what god could resent you for that?