Posted by watchmen877 (23 posts) -

I thought the film was amazing. It was an epic conclusion to an amazing journey. Is it better than The Dark Knight? No,but it was still just really good.

#1 Posted by watchmen877 (23 posts) -

I thought the film was amazing. It was an epic conclusion to an amazing journey. Is it better than The Dark Knight? No,but it was still just really good.

#2 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Thank you for your thoughts. I have not seen it yet so I will need to come with my thoughts at a later date.

#3 Posted by big_jon (5770 posts) -

Fucking amazing!

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

The beginning was a bit too slow and took a bit too long to pickup. Also, Batman was barely in the movie!

I also hated how Bane was killed by a single shotgun blast. Was a bit halfassed

And those are the three things I didn't like. And two of them are nitpicky. Otherwise, Bane > Joker in this trilogy is all I gotta say.

#5 Posted by Emilie (28 posts) -

So amazing.

#6 Posted by L44 (571 posts) -

A good film overall, but it had too much or too little going on.

I hope someone else understands what I mean.

#7 Edited by Wunder_ (1171 posts) -
#8 Edited by Kaungo (40 posts) -
#9 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -
#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Loved it.

Hardy was great as Bane, and I loved the origin story twist on the comics, very well done. I also though Hathaway did a very good job as Catwoman, and this is coming from someone that doesn't think too highly of her.

I dug the fact it was a more epic ensemble piece, and that there was a real human element. The cops especially were amazing.

#11 Posted by Deadlypixels (72 posts) -

It was a little too long, Bane chewed the scenery just as good as The Joker did in the last movie, but for the last 30 minutes all Bane did was exist.

#12 Posted by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

Not as good as Dark Knight but I didn't expect it to be.

I do wonder this though

if lack of knowledge of the comics would have made the Talia reveal more shocking. I sorta saw that Talia moment coming when Bruce touched her scar. It was shoved into our faces then quickly removed hoping the audience would forget. I did like the ending a lot though.
#13 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

It should be banned for its dodgy politics. The Batman movies are NEOCON filth, where the end justifies the means. Ban this filth which has played a part in the Aurora shooting.

#14 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@FourWude said:

It should be banned for its dodgy politics. The Batman movies are NEOCON filth, where the end justifies the means. Ban this filth which has played a part in the Aurora shooting.

I hope you are joking around otherwise you can fuck off.

#15 Edited by Daneian (1251 posts) -

It was a completely incomprehensible mess. In an attempt to hit some lofty, incredible goals, the story was incomprehensibly told with events existing only to reach specific beats of storytelling. Too many extra characters that added nothing to the narrative, had nebulous, ill-defined goals and events that only existed to lead to others.

#16 Posted by Moreau_MD (402 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@FourWude said:

'filth' might be a little harsh but...the overt pro-establishment vibe of the film was a bit icky at times.

It wasn't a good film regardless. Not Nolan's best work. Basically this:

'it was a completely incomprehensible mess. In an attempt to hit some lofty, incredible goals, the story was incomprehensibly told with events existing only to reach specific beats of storytelling. Too many extra characters that added nothing to the narrative, had nebulous, ill-defined goals and events that only existed to lead to others.'

#17 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1331 posts) -

The movie was absolutely phenomenal, I came in with super high expectations and it still blew me away. If you can, go see it in IMAX, totally worth it.

#18 Posted by EXTomar (4917 posts) -

The structure is a bit off. Without getting into spoilers, the place where Bane and Batman confront seems like it is in the wrong place where it needed to happen a lot sooner.

#19 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i didn't see it yet. i did just bought batman begins and watched that last night. pretty good.

#20 Posted by stinky (1551 posts) -

@Daneian said:

It was a completely incomprehensible mess. In an attempt to hit some lofty, incredible goals, the story was incomprehensibly told with events existing only to reach specific beats of storytelling. Too many extra characters that added nothing to the narrative, had nebulous, ill-defined goals and events that only existed to lead to others.

sounds like you would agree with harry at aintitcool.com

#21 Edited by JeanLuc (3604 posts) -

I really liked it. Its very different in style and tone from Dark Knight, whose style I think I like better, but was still awesome regardless.

#22 Posted by Kierkegaard (605 posts) -

@Moreau_MD said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@FourWude said:

'filth' might be a little harsh but...the overt pro-establishment vibe of the film was a bit icky at times.

It wasn't a good film regardless. Not Nolan's best work. Basically this:

'it was a completely incomprehensible mess. In an attempt to hit some lofty, incredible goals, the story was incomprehensibly told with events existing only to reach specific beats of storytelling. Too many extra characters that added nothing to the narrative, had nebulous, ill-defined goals and events that only existed to lead to others.'

I wouldn't call it NeoCon, just painting in way too broad strokes without any room for thought. And that's weird. The Dark Night is order vs. chaos in a pretty obvious way, but it lets you chew on it.

Here, prisoners thoughtlessly run martial law, citizens (kinda) don't exist (besides a fucking school bus full of orphans, which is probably the most brazen symbolism ever), an anarchist pretends to be a populist, and something happens with computers and money? It's a clusterfuck. The Talia and Bane story worked. The Catwoman and Robin story worked. The first half of the film is great. And then it just gets progressively sillier. That magic prison was hokey.

Oh, and just let him die. Let him be a martyr instead of a really clever lier who explodes an A-bomb near enough to a city to turn everyone to ash. This movie needed limits and thought, and all it had were wisps of interesting ideas.

I'd still recommend seeing it, as I found parts astounding, and that which I don't think works is worth talking about.

#23 Posted by Whitestripes09 (426 posts) -

Ok not really sure why they're so many hipster haters on this movie and people who think it should be banned because a psycho decided to shoot people at a premier.

Quite honestly I loved this movie more than Dark Knight. While yeah Dark Knight had Joker in it, I never quite felt like Joker was that big of a threat towards anyone, he was an anarchist who had explosives and decided to simply upset the established order by corrupting Harvey Dent and executing so many people. Compared to Bane, the Joker was another crazy guy. As for the entire story quite honestly I could do with an extra 30 more minutes of the film because I enjoyed it so much. I don't believe there was a scene I didn't enjoy in this movie. Anne Hathaway made an amazing catwoman with having the right amount of spunk and sexiness without coming across as being a complete slut and sex symbol. I could go on and on about this movie, I seriously don't understand why everyone thinks it was such a mess and why they believe all the characters added nothing to the story. Everything about this movie fit in perfectly, the modern theme of the poor against the rich is wonderfully executed and its such a perfect time to include it,everything was just awesome.

#24 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

It was a brilliant movie and was an excellent send off to the trilogy.

#25 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

I think that if it wasn't Heath Ledger the Dark Knight wouldn't have as great as many people think, DKR is a decent conclusion but Bane is not as great as the joker

#26 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

@stinky said:

@Daneian said:

It wasa completely incomprehensible mess. In an attempt to hit some lofty, incredible goals, the story was incomprehensibly told with events existing only to reach specific beats of storytelling. Too many extra characters that added nothing to the narrative, had nebulous, ill-defined goals and events that only existed to lead to others.

sounds like you would agree with harry at aintitcool.com

I didn't read his review, butIi've seen it twice and still cant answer many important questions. Bummed too since I consider The Dark Knight to objectively be the best movie ever.

#27 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@Kierkegaard: Yes, yes, my thoughts exactly.

First, I really enjoyed how Bane was established as a villain. I don't really need to go into details, but I think this is the first time I ever doubted that the protagonist would come out on top. However...

It really breaks down when Bane finally does take over. I don't understand what was going on when bane took over, but I don't think it can be comprehended, as it is nonsense. As you said, he claims to be a populist, but all he dd was bring some breed of anarchy to Gotham. I wish they had made it a tale of the proletariat overthrowing the bourgeoisie. There were hints of this with the citizens throwing the rich out of their homes, but it quickly became a rule by prisoners, and Bane's populist ideals disappeared. So did he as a character, which is a shame, as he was the best part of the film. His death was absolutely underwhelming. They did a good job of establishing as a great force, and he's taken down by a single blast from the bat cycle. Bummer.

Overall, the movie collapses under it's own weight. They tried to do too much, and it's all a confused jumble.

One final complaint: The vehicles were overused.

I enjoyed it, though.

#28 Posted by Discoman (169 posts) -

I didn't like the prison stuff. It seemed odd to go back to that far east setting. I think that should have been dumped out and the movie would have been tighter.

#29 Posted by CornBREDX (5816 posts) -

I don't really get why people thought it was amazing, but I am glad other people liked it.

I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan, but this movie was awful. He didn't want to make it and you could tell. Jumbled incoherent mess.

#30 Posted by Revan_NL (346 posts) -

Just came back from the theatre. What can I say, I liked it a bit better then TDK in terms of style but the movie somehow manages to be too long on one hand and too short for all of the storyelements it's trying to tell. Batman Begins still is my favorite Nolan Batman movie.

#31 Posted by CornBREDX (5816 posts) -

@Revan_NL said:

Just came back from the theatre. What can I say, I liked it a bit better then TDK in terms of style but the movie somehow manages to be too long on one hand and too short for all of the storyelements it's trying to tell. Batman Begins still is my favorite Nolan Batman movie.

Ya, I just got back too and I cant stop thinking about how much I didn't like it and why. I think you sum up one of my big problems with the movie. It tried to have to much going on so a lot of it is rushed. It also doesn't use certain characters very well, and some elements felt shoe horned in.

I don't want to not like the movie, everything within me hates that I do, but it just felt really mediocre. For me it was probably Nolan's worst film (well, not counting his first film out of school I guess haha).

#32 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I wish there had been more of the Bruce / Alfred story. The scene with them in the middle of the movie was my favourite part of the entire film. And I agree that Bane's whole plot was ridiculous and way too over the top, like something from a cheesy 80s movie. I think he would have been a more intimidating villain without his army of mercs.

#33 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
#34 Edited by PhilESkyline (781 posts) -

I think it would have been better if he said his real name was Dick Grayson. That would have been epic, but Robin just sounded cheesy. I guess people who aren't well acquainted with Batman would have wondered who Dick Grayson was.

#35 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

At first I thought Bane's voice was over the top, but I grew to love it by the end of the film.

This was a great film, and while I didn't think it was quite as good as The Dark Knight or Batman Begins, it was a pretty damn epic film, and the ending was very satisfying.

#36 Posted by kishinfoulux (2456 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

I don't really get why people thought it was amazing, but I am glad other people liked it.

I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan, but this movie was awful. He didn't want to make it and you could tell. Jumbled incoherent mess.

Awful? Really now? People need to choose their words better. It's fine to not like it, but this film is certainly not "awful".

As for Bane I really tried hard to like him and I think I did more then I expected, but I still despise his look, the lack of being hispanic (or whatever he is), and most importantly that echo voice he's got going on. Couldn't even understand him half the time.

#37 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

I thought it was awesome, loved it. Bane was a great villain. I wanted to see it again as soon as I left the theater.

#38 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3109 posts) -

I think they should have just gone all out and made the movie version of Knightfall. The inspiration was clearly there in some key ways, but they had a great setup for it in the movie. JGL would have been pretty good as Azrael, have him discover the Batcave and all that before Bruce gets broken and become an overly-violent replacement in the interim that Batman would have to face down when he returned at the end of the film.

#39 Posted by Jackel2072 (2278 posts) -

I didn't care for it at all really. TDK is still my favorite with rises being way at the bottom for me

#40 Posted by AssInAss (2710 posts) -

Brilliant ending to the trilogy, made me cry buckets. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was perfect, pulled a Ledger with that. Need to see it again to pick up on all the little details that all the people who're pointing out plot holes completely missed.

I love though that the detractors only bring up plot holes as criticism when clearly they should've payed more attention to the movie ("Giving the detonator to a civilian was dumb!","why does Gordon put the bat sign up when Batman's gone?" "John Blake is going to be Robin?" "How does Batman survive the nuclear blast?" "Miranda Tate being Talia came out of nowhere!" and many many more), and how plot holes don't matter when that's not what the movie is about. It's about the emotional core. How about we start looking into plot holes for Citizen Kane or Godfather, they have plenty and totally serve as criticism for a film lolol.

#41 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

^^^^ this you can find plotholes in almost any film. though with the dark knight rises i thought they did a pretty good job of tieing it together.

i liked bane somewhat more than joker both very close but banes presence is overwhelming you feel him in the room

#42 Edited by NTM (7516 posts) -

@watchmen877: I agree, it was an amazing film, but I also think it wasn't any better, or any worse than The Dark Knight, it was just different. I don't like to even think about that, then it's selling one short. They're both fantastic! I'm going to go see it again tomorrow. This to me was not in any way a disappointment, and I only have a few (three) very minor problems with it. Maybe I'm just being blind about it right now, but I can't think of any trilogy better than this one.

#43 Posted by Veektarius (4976 posts) -

A lot of people say that Bane's motives are incoherent, but I personally didn't have that problem because I decided to discount the rhetoric he was spewing in defense of his actions.

It's like this. Clearly, Bane is not trying to create a model government. He would A) take a larger role in how it was run and B) not plan to destroy it after five months. We know Bane's primary objective, as a minion of Talia, is to destroy Gotham as it symbolizes American decadence. Someone else described it as anarchism disguised as populism, which I think is apt, because he wants anarchy, but uses populist rhetoric to draw attention to the flaws in the society he is striving to overthrow. I think it might be the case that Bane is actually a populist, but if so, he doesn't believe that a pure return of the masses to power is the solution. It was established in Begins that the League of Shadows does not feel its ends can be effected peacefully. Still, I will at the very least concede that a line or two of dialogue could have cleared the distinction up.

Overall I agree that the tone of the movie was great, I loved the police stuff and I definitely like the movie better than Begins (which I tend to think is overrated). How it compares to TDK, I'm not sure, since I haven't rewatched it in a couple years.

#44 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1331 posts) -

I thought the bane and batman fighting sequences were so brutal and raw, absolutely epic. Hans Zimmer made a masterpiece of a score once again. Anne Hathaway was phenomenal, and the ending was so good I was almost in tears. Fuck I loved this movie. Oh and if you can see it in IMAX, not only is it high res and taller, but the sound is so fucking loud and powerful.

#45 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -
@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@FourWude said:

This.
#46 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (436 posts) -

Good movie, The Batwing is the real hero of the movie though. Batman didn't do as much as he did in the other movies besides getting his ass beat, and getting lead into traps. I understand he's been out of the game for 8 years but still. Some parts of the plot I found kinda odd, or just disappointing.

Bane's exit was horrible by the way. I didn't like how the second he relinquished his title as main villain of the movie he became unimportant and was taken out. Then we had a new villain I didn't care about at all, who did very little after that.

#47 Posted by fuddles (82 posts) -

I definitely noticed more issues watching this film than I did when I first saw The Dark Knight, but I still loved it. I wish they gave Bane a better exit though, that was just bad.

#48 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3215 posts) -

I thought it was better than The Dark Knight, better than Batman Begins.