• 78 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3931 posts) -
Darksiders II is the next major release from THQ, and one that will need to perform well for THQ.

Though THQ is far from in the clear, one headache has been removed: the threat of being delisted on the NASDAQ stock market.

The publisher announced this morning it had maintained $1.00 per share price during last 10 business days, meaning it’s no longer on NASDAQ’s watch list. "Phew," said THQ management. Probably.

THQ made some moves lately, including a 1-to-10 reverse stock split, that helped make this happen.

The Street has an informative article on why a NASDAQ delisting is bad for all parties involved, including the one case where it could be a good thing: the company make that decision on its own.

“Still, as a shareholder, having your company delisted can have severe effects on your portfolio. Obviously, most companies that are delisted were in dire straits to begin with, but the act of delisting can actually force their stock prices to decrease further.

While the intrinsic value of the stock hasn't changed since the day before the stock was delisted, the very fact that it was ejected from its exchange is enough to make the market factors push its price even further below water. That stock that you once paid your hard-earned cash for is likely pretty close to worthless now.”

The weight on Darksiders II’s shoulders to perform well next month is even greater now.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3931 posts) -
Darksiders II is the next major release from THQ, and one that will need to perform well for THQ.

Though THQ is far from in the clear, one headache has been removed: the threat of being delisted on the NASDAQ stock market.

The publisher announced this morning it had maintained $1.00 per share price during last 10 business days, meaning it’s no longer on NASDAQ’s watch list. "Phew," said THQ management. Probably.

THQ made some moves lately, including a 1-to-10 reverse stock split, that helped make this happen.

The Street has an informative article on why a NASDAQ delisting is bad for all parties involved, including the one case where it could be a good thing: the company make that decision on its own.

“Still, as a shareholder, having your company delisted can have severe effects on your portfolio. Obviously, most companies that are delisted were in dire straits to begin with, but the act of delisting can actually force their stock prices to decrease further.

While the intrinsic value of the stock hasn't changed since the day before the stock was delisted, the very fact that it was ejected from its exchange is enough to make the market factors push its price even further below water. That stock that you once paid your hard-earned cash for is likely pretty close to worthless now.”

The weight on Darksiders II’s shoulders to perform well next month is even greater now.

Staff
#2 Posted by corpulateguitar@gmail.com (38 posts) -

this is fantastic news

#3 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

PLease do welllll!!!!

#4 Posted by Quantical (345 posts) -

Hold... HOLD ... BOLD!!!!!

#5 Edited by Brodehouse (9770 posts) -

We've managed to avoid drowning!

So, if THQ is pretty much worthless, but they still appear like they want to continue on (and still have profit potential in their three big studios)... isn't right now the right time to buy?

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11935 posts) -

Great news.

#7 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1237 posts) -

Great news. Just bought Warhammer 40k space marine for $10 and think it is absolutely great. As a big fan of gears of war, I can appreciate another great third person shooter.

#8 Posted by Pixeldemon (244 posts) -

Dawn of War 3 plz.

Or ya know, do something original and good. That'd be cool too.

#9 Posted by Draxyle (1822 posts) -

I just bought Saint's Row 3 during the summer steam sale, my one and only THQ game, and I couldn't be more glad that they're on the right track for recovery.

They have a lot of potential, it would be a shame for them to lose it.

#10 Posted by Nentisys (888 posts) -

More Dawn of War and Company of Heroes games THQ please.

#11 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

For a moment I almost regretted selling my $700 of THQ shares, until I realized they did this via a reverse stock split.

NOPE NOPE NOPE. Glad I sold when I did lol.

Good luck to THQ. They have some awesome games coming soon. We all hope they survive.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

Well, I for one, am buying Darksiders 2 :o

#13 Edited by Slab64 (1054 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

So, if THQ is pretty much worthless, but they still appear like they want to continue on (and still have profit potential in their three big studios)... isn't right now the right time to buy?

Let's ask Pachter.

Actually, nevermind, I'll just take 800 shares plz.

Every 5 shares purchased and you get a free uDraw tablet.

#14 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I was buying Darskiders 2 anyway... but now more people need to do it :D Spread the love, people.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

Let us all go buy Darksiders 2 now!!

#16 Posted by airmikee99 (9 posts) -

With Dawn of War 3 and Darksiders 2 due this year, and Metro:Last Light and Warhammer 40K:Dark Millennium due out next year, here's to hoping THQ can survive!

#17 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

I will be doing my part and buying darksiders 2. Hope they can stay afloat.

#18 Posted by MeatSim (10817 posts) -

Watching how their next few games sell is going to be very intriguing.

#19 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

What is "a 1-to-10 reverse stock split" exacly?

#20 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Vigil, Volition and Relic are some of my favourite developers, really hope they can keep going.

Also that DS2 collectors edition is looking pretty sweet.

#21 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1421 posts) -

PC upgraded. Release Company of Heroes 2, and I will give you money.

#22 Posted by Lurkero (394 posts) -

I feel like the headline should read "THQ manages to avoid NASDAQ delisting...for now." I'm approaching this with no business experience, but I still don't think THQ needs to be a public company right now. They tried to reach the sun but they did not become gods like EA and Activision. Instead they got blinded and burned.

@Brodehouse said:

But they are still stuck in the pool

#23 Posted by patrickklepek (3931 posts) -

@Lurkero said:

I feel like the headline should read "THQ manages to avoid NASDAQ delisting...for now." I'm approaching this with no business experience, but I still don't think THQ needs to be a public company right now. They tried to reach the sun but they did not become gods like EA and Activision. Instead they got blinded and burned.

@Brodehouse said:

You're probably right about that. It's no guarantee, absolutely.

Staff
#24 Posted by monster9999 (393 posts) -

Not really that great of a thing from a shareholders perspective(Im not one). Someone having 100 shares now only has 10, but i guess you gota do something to stay on the NASDAQ

#25 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

For every 10 shares you had before the reverse stock split, you now have 1. So if you had 200 shares, you now have 20. It merges the stock to make the individual shares worth more, but theres less of them so the company as a whole is still worth the same amount. This was done purely so the stock wouldn't be delisted. THQ is still in dire straights and still has a good chance of going under.

#26 Posted by t0y (20 posts) -

This should of been filed under THQ Deathwatch 2012

#27 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@WilliamHenry: Ty for the clarification.

#28 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Well they did a 10-1 reverse stock split. They better have fucking avoided delisting. Even so, it's going to be a long time before any THQ investors see a real return on their cash.

Hopefully the company can focus on putting out quality games now. Darksiders II may be a make or break title.

#29 Posted by championfetus (245 posts) -

@Lurkero said:

@Brodehouse said:

Like a sim in a pool with no ladder.

#30 Posted by DavoTron (149 posts) -

Never played Darksiders. But I don't want to see THQ go under at all....

#31 Posted by airmikee99 (9 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

When a company does a reverse stock split they combine high quantity, small value shares into low quantity, high value shares.

For example, say THQ shares were worth $0.99 per share, if you had ten of them, after the reverse split you'd have 1 share instead of 10, and it would be worth $9.90 instead of $0.99.

#32 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@airmikee99 said:

@SmilingPig said:

When a company does a reverse stock split they combine high quantity, small value shares into low quantity, high value shares.

For example, say THQ shares were worth $0.99 per share, if you had ten of them, after the reverse split you'd have 1 share instead of 10, and it would be worth $9.90 instead of $0.99.

Exactly. So, at the end of the day, shareholders have less stock than they originally held, but its all worth more, so the value equals out.

The upside of this is that if your stock is too cheap, and is violating NASDAQ rules, you can do this kind of reverse split to increase the price and avoid getting delisted.

#33 Posted by allgrinzz (161 posts) -

Good news is good news, even if it's really just dire straits hidden under the news... and for THQ I'll take all the good news I can get for them. I'm in your corner, buying all the THQ stuff I can....

#34 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

I blame UDraw

#35 Posted by Hurricrane (129 posts) -

Hooray for THQ!

As for the analyst guy... all the stock market is is Press Your Luck only with way more money involved. It's amazing how well assholes like that are paid to basically flip a fucking coin. It infuriates me to no end.

#36 Posted by Wesker411 (75 posts) -

I will be buying Darksiders II on day one even though I couldn't finish the first. I'll do anything just to make sure Company of Heroes 2 makes it to the market.

#37 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The potential is there for a huge comeback. Don't fuck this up, THQ.

#38 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@Warchief: Even THQ blames UDraw.
#39 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

I really hope Darksiders 2 succeeds. THQ has some great IPs that I want to see more of.

#40 Posted by csl316 (8349 posts) -

I should buy some stock and hope Darksiders II sells millions and millions.

#41 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (734 posts) -

Like a sim in a pool with no ladder.

Brilliant.

#42 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -

Is it even possible to save THQ at this point?

#43 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

It's cool to be worth less than a dollar a share for an extended period. NASDAQ be hating.

#44 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@dvorak said:

It's cool to be worth less than a dollar a share for an extended period. NASDAQ be hating.

Their house their rules.

#45 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

seems like darksiders 2 and saints row 4 are the only things that appear to be sure hits for them and even then it doesn't seem like enough.

Sucks.

#46 Posted by dannye812 (11 posts) -

Darksiders 2!!!

#47 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#48 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

They're going all out it seems for the end of the year/beginning of next year. Darksiders 2, Metro: Last Light, Company of Heroes 2. Hopefully they do well.

#49 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

seems like darksiders 2 and saints row 4 are the only things that appear to be sure hits for them and even then it doesn't seem like enough.

Sucks.

lets not forget metro last light is coming out also.

#50 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -