• 82 results
mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattadord

I figured I would follow the current trend on the site of including bomb in the title of stuff. Plus hopefully this won't make people think it is a spam streaming thread since the title used to be just "College football!!".

So the first week of college football is drawing to an end with really only two ranked teams left to play, Louisville and Florida State. So what are your thoughts on this week of college football? Do you think the hype of Jadeveon Clowney affected his first game? Are you happy Boise State lost already so we won't have to hear the usual "Boise State is undefeated so should they play for the national title?" question at the end of the year? Maybe you have a new Heisman favorite, or like me you could be totally in love with new trash-talking Johnny Manziel. I hope to see him continue his trash-talk all season, but I've always been a huge fan of good trash-talkers.

Leave your thoughts of what you saw this week, or talk about your college's team performance. My team started off the season by losing to Texas State at home, and we have three straight games against actually teams so it is going to be another loooooooong season I suspect.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I honestly thought this was going to be another one of those football streaming spam threads I've been seeing so much of lately. Glad to see it wasn't though.

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I am happy we don't have to listen to people talk about Boise State all the time.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattadord

@themanwithnoplan said:

I honestly thought this was going to be another one of those football streaming spam threads I've been seeing so much of lately. Glad to see it wasn't though.

Oh man I totally forgot about those. Any suggestion to change or add to the title to help get people to not think that it is one of those spam stream threads?

@falconpunch: I know! I feel their success and people's desire is more warranted than that of Notre Dame though. I feel like every year Notre Dame is supposed to be really good and totally isn't. I mean look at last year's national title game for example. They shouldn't have been in that game someone else could have given Alabama a way better fight than them.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

Oh man I totally forgot about those. Any suggestion to change or add to the title to help get people to not think that it is one of those spam stream threads?

Throwing the Deep Bomb: College style is much better.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Monkeyman04

I'm so glad my Huskies completely stomped Boise State!

This year is looking to be a much better one than last year. *crosses fingers* Even though Price threw an interception for his first pass of the season, he made up for it during the rest of the game.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: Alright thanks. It just came too me as I was sitting around. Though I'm a bit curious as to how a sports thread will do on a video game website, but the Giant Bomb community seems big enough to have a decent chunk of people that would like sports too.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: That was my biggest surprise this weekend. Boise State didn't even compete. I thought they would win truthfully, and you'd think they'd for sure make it a competitive game.

I thought Joe Montana's kid was your starter or is he just on the team?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord: He was on the team at one point, but it looks like he's playing/starting for Tulane.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By jiggajoe14

Notre Dame looked competent for the most part. Happy about that.

And Teddy Bridgewater <3. He did his thing.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14: Have fun rooting for the Figthing Irish this year!

That's such a great name. But where did he come from? I mean I've at least heard of the other Heisman possibles before this year, but I feel like all of a sudden he appeared and is the best QB in college football right now.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Wright Thompson has it right about Manziel. He should just keep being him.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena: 100% agree. I mean who cares if he sold his autograph. I can't imagine any normal person being against him selling some autographs. It is insane that he can't make a single cent off his own name, but the same people that say he can't make that single cent are using his name and image to make millions. He should just do his thing and enjoy college, and he should totally save one of those kisses from girls like the ones throughout the video for me since I totally have his back. It would be the least he could do since I've totally been defending him and his new trash-talking/taunting ways.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@monkeyman04: That was my biggest surprise this weekend. Boise State didn't even compete. I thought they would win truthfully, and you'd think they'd for sure make it a competitive game.

Even bigger than Eastern Washington beating Oregon State in a shoot out? Or North Dakota beating Kansas St.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord said:

Even bigger than Eastern Washington beating Oregon State in a shoot out? Or North Dakota beating Kansas St.

Yeah though I think that has to do with the fact that a handful FCS teams beat FBS teams this week. I want to say I saw 7 FCS teams did so which makes those accomplishments a bit diminished to me. Not to say that it isn't impressive, but it became a less of a shock since it happened multiple times. Plus Boise State always plays well in season openers, but they didn't even play well at all this game. Also it might just be me coming to grips that I won't have to hear if Boise State should be in the national title game since they went undefeated question for the first time in years.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_potty_machine: Well the Eastern Washington defeat of Oregon State wasn't that much of a surprise. They nearly beat Washington State last year and the year before that UW had a hard fought game with them as well. It was a matter of time that they were about to beat a PAC-12 team.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord said:

That's such a great name. But where did he come from? I mean I've at least heard of the other Heisman possibles before this year, but I feel like all of a sudden he appeared and is the best QB in college football right now.

He was 4* recruit out of Miami Northwestern (listed as a dual-threat QB....I WONDER WHY?!) and I've been a big fan of his since the end of his freshman year at UL. Guy just never played anyone really until the UF game and it will be the same this year. Guy does throw the prettiest pass in college.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord said:

He was 4* recruit out of Miami Northwestern (listed as a dual-threat QB....I WONDER WHY?!) and I've been a big fan of his since the end of his freshman year at UL. Guy just never played anyone really until the UF game and it will be the same this year. Guy does throw the prettiest pass in college.

Ah that makes sense then. But you've got to wonder is he the real deal? I mean like you said he didn't really play anyone until the UF game, and won't play another good team until the bowl of this year. So you're praising this guy, but he has only played one real good team currently, and then possibly two when it is all said and done.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is absolutely the real deal. His toughness in the pocket (that Rutgers game when he didn't start but came in late with a broken wrist to lead them to the Big East title....looked it up and UL was 85th in the nation in sacks allowed last year. Teddy stepped into throws so often when he was about to get his ass laid out), ability to read defenses pre-snap and anticipate throws is out of this world (he was in charge of reading defenses and making adjustments at the line a la Peyton Manning), and of course his deadly accuracy. Rutgers didn't have a bad D last year and Florida could be argued as the best defense in the nation. His preparation and approach to the game have been pretty well documented. Oh and he was only a sophomore last year and the level of success and display of abilities.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14: Well I thought about it more and came to realize that he isn't even the only player for that to happen to this season. I mean Clowney pretty much became the dominant pass rusher that everyone says he is due to one play, but he was that good before that play. So I guess it is just that they get more eyes on them and then they become the greatest pass rusher or quaterback in the game out of nowhere seemingly even though they had the talent the whole time.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clowney was getting huge hype coming out of high school though. Dude was getting LeBron level hype in terms of how people viewed his physical abilities.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord: SC has a good D besides Clowney but I do think for, most of, the season he will be a beast.

I don't care for trash talkers, Manziel is good but it's almost like he's self destructing like a teenage pop diva. Slowly, but surely.

As far as the Heisman. Teddy Bridgewater could possibly run away with it, he wa lights out in game 1. Tahj Boyd looked good too.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By MocBucket62

Manziel will do great again this year, and I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Teddy Bridgewater, but you all need to see this game between FSU vs. Pitt. Freshmen QB Jameis Winston is kicking ass in Pittsburgh. He's scored 3 passing TD's, 1 rushing TD, threw for 240 yards and threw for 17/18 completions, all in the first half!

Edit: Oh, and so far no interceptions.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winston has been fucking stellar tonight. Think it is pretty safe to say he's going to be the best of the post-Weinke FSU QBs lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got tickets to see the Buckeyes this season, I'm curious to see what they'll do this year. Outside of the typical Big Ten match ups they really have a pretty modest out of conference schedule. Hopefully its not another year of making it to the National Title game only to implode and look ridiculous against the SEC.

Also, was I the only one not blown away by Alabama's performance against VCU? I mean yes they still ran away with the victory but their offense wasn't outstanding and their team mainly scored on special team's plays. VCU hung around more than I thought they had any right to. I'm sure Alabama will come around and still be pretty tough to handle but I don't know if they have a repeat in the bag.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got tickets to see the Buckeyes this season, I'm curious to see what they'll do this year. Outside of the typical Big Ten match ups they really have a pretty modest out of conference schedule. Hopefully its not another year of making it to the National Title game only to implode and look ridiculous against the SEC.

Also, was I the only one not blown away by Alabama's performance against VCU? I mean yes they still ran away with the victory but their offense wasn't outstanding and their team mainly scored on special team's plays. VCU hung around more than I thought they had any right to. I'm sure Alabama will come around and still be pretty tough to handle but I don't know if they have a repeat in the bag.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are the changes that happened to the polls. That is quite the jump by Clemson and quite the fall from Georgia. I think both the jump up and fall down were too extreme though. It was a close game, not a blowout. I think if the game was a blowout then these changes in the rankings would be warranted, but since it was close I would have just figured the two teams would have switch rankings. Ultimately it doesn't really matter all that much since each team has only played one game yet, and I'm sure the rankings going into bowl season will look very different.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beating a Mark Richt team in a big game....whoopty-fucking-doo

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mattadord: Maybe I'm an Oregon State Fan and I fucking hate this thread and everyone in it. :(

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A handful of good matchups this Saturday: Florida vs. Miami, South Carolina vs. Georigia, and Notre Dame vs. Michigan. Who do you think will win those games or who's your team playing today?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UW has a bye this week, so I want to see PAC-12 teams to win.

Also I can't even fathom how this Cal vs Portland State game is even close.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: I can't fathom that Portland State has a football team so I'm just proud of them. Way to go Portland State! What is their mascot?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Monkeyman04

@mattadord: They're the Vikings.

Well that was hard fought game, Portland State should have had it. They had two touchdowns that were called back.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: That isn't bad. I figured they'd be something like the Trees or whatever Stanford is. Maybe they could have gone crazy with it and be the Sasquatches. I'd buy that for a dollar.

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By crimsinf

@lilarchie232: No, you were not the only who was not impressed with Alabama's win last weekend. A large portion of Alabama's fans feel the same way. Although, I think the rest of the season will prove that Virginia Tech's defense has a solid front seven that was completely overlooked in the leadup to that game. It's nice to have this week off, but I really wish we had a second tune up game before heading to College Station next week. We'll see how it goes, though. Surely the offense will be at least marginally better, right?

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nicholls State has beaten Western Michigan

• Nicholls State was 27 point underdogs
  • Down to their 3rd string QB
  • Hadn't beaten an NCAA football since 2010
  • Hadn't beaten an FBS team since 2007
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Not a college football fan but I am a fan of whatever this was.

Eminemhigh_medium

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit! I wish I watched that WSU vs USC game!

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena: @milkman: So unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game last night so I missed this. So do either of you mind giving me context of why he was zoned out like that because it is amazing/creepy.

@monkeyman04: I can't believe it has taken USC fans this long to do this.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jiggajoe14

@milkman said:

Not a college football fan but I am a fan of whatever this was.

That was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen during a football games.

ND losing....I was at least drunk with my buddy from college. Will be going to IU-Mizzou next saturday.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mattadord

Alright I just fell in love with Jameis Winston after seeing this and this. I love a player that is a goofball. Whether it is the case or not I feel like the goofy players realize that the thing they are doing, playing a sport at such a high level, is dumb and goofy. I mean the players that take it super seriously kinda give me a weird feeling. After watching a super serious interview I just want to yell at the screen, "YOU THROW A BALL TO GROWN MEN WHILE AVOIDING OTHER GROWN MEN IN DIFFERENT COLORED SHIRTS!"

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yeah! UW won their game. Even though they had a shit ton of yellow flags thrown, they still pulled it out. Also the starting RB got over 200 yards in that one game. This was hard game to watch since it was shown early for us in the Pacific Northwest and my brother played a golf game around the time they were playing. So we had to wait until later to watch it since he had it TIVo'D. It was hard not to spoil it for myself.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By DukesT3

Johnny fucking Football. Even with the loss, he has to be in serious discussion about a potential Heisman repeat. Of course, he'd have to lead the Aggies to the SEC title in order to have a shot at winning it again, but damn that defense is not so great, it's going to be a wild season for sure. Gig Em!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit! ASU just got saved by the refs there at the end. I'm all about the PAC-12, but that ASU player should have been called for a delay of game.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yeah! UW won their game. Even though they had a shit ton of yellow flags thrown, they still pulled it out. Also the starting RB got over 200 yards in that one game. This was hard game to watch since it was shown early for us in the Pacific Northwest and my brother played a golf game around the time they were playing. So we had to wait until later to watch it since he had it TIVo'D. It was hard not to spoil it for myself.

Are you in Washington? What channel was it playing on? I looked around but couldn't find it, I figured they weren't broadcasting it for some reason lol.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Monkeyman04

@peasantabuse said:

@monkeyman04 said:

Are you in Washington? What channel was it playing on? I looked around but couldn't find it, I figured they weren't broadcasting it for some reason lol.

Yes, I'm in Washintong, my brother had to call up comcast and order the BIG10 network. That was sadly the only channel playing it. You can watch a pretty good replay here.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I can't explain this ending ¯\(°_o)/¯