#1 Posted by Valco (328 posts) -

Now, this happened a few  years ago, but once I found it, I had to post it. 
For those of you who don't know, Tim Minchin is a stand up comedian, and insanely talented pianist, whose act contains a good dea of excellent music, written and performed by him. 

in 2005, Tim was fairly new to standup comedy, Tim did a gig at the Edinburgh Festival. Phil Daoust, a journalist in the employ of the Guardian, was in attendance. This is what he wrote about the show: 

Gilded Balloon

Tim Minchin - winner of the Melbourne comedy festival's director's choice award - arrives in Edinburgh trailing cloudlets of glory. The Australian comedian/ musician is popular enough to pack out one of the festival's biggest halls, and to be cheered after every gag and comic song.

It's enough to make you believe in mass hypnosis. Strip away Minchin's fretful porpentine hair, white piano and willingness to fall off the stage for a laugh, and you're left with a bog-standard stand-up with a silly voice and a few good songs, most of whose material would have seemed dated in the last millennium. He must be the last person in the world to be surprised by the spread of mineral water. When he does address more topical subjects, such as smug environmentalists, what should be bite is all gum. And I don't think I've ever heard a lamer attempt to change the subject than: "Hey, is anyone married?"

The self-satisfied gurning seems to last for centuries. Then Minchin makes the unilateral decision to give us an encore, the last thing you need in a festival where acts stack up in the wings like jets over an airport. He even congratulates himself for keeping the next performers waiting. Whatever happened to that fine old tradition of tarring and feathering?

· Until August 28. Box office: 0131-668 1633.     

A somewhat less than positive review, you might agree. Since then, TIm has picked up a good deal of awards and fame. So, two years ago, he finally got around to producing this response (NSFW):

Who do you think won?

#2 Posted by Tofford (523 posts) -

Seen him live twice. He definitely wins.

#3 Posted by Joygirl (9 posts) -

Tim's response is clearly the victor. Anyone can write a scathing review and make it sound smart. Not everyone can (musically) create such a ripping reply and make it utterly hilarious.

#4 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

@Joygirl said:

Tim's response is clearly the victor. Anyone can write a scathing review and make it sound smart. Not everyone can (musically) create such a ripping reply and make it utterly hilarious.

I really couldn't agree less. I actually quite like Tim, but that song makes him come off as a petty, self-absorbed jackass and has honestly lowered my opinion of him and his comedic skills far more than any review could. The only real way for him to "win" in a situation like that would've been to completely forget that guy even exists and continue his successful stand up career. Unfortunately for Tim, everyone is perfectly entitled to their own opinion and comedy is one of the most subjective forms of media around, so holding such a deep grudge about one negative review that he received the better part of a decade ago, even after he's become such a massive success, just seems incredibly desperate and honestly, unbelievably bizarre.

#5 Posted by Joygirl (9 posts) -

It may seem childish but when you pour your heart and soul into an art form, only to have someone rip into it like that, it hurts. Badly. If I got a review that bad and then went on to be very successful, it'd be hard not to create a similar reply. Some people don't have problems wth pride and others do... just a matter of opinion I guess. In any case, I thought the song was very funny, more than any of Minchin's other stuff I've heard. 90% of his songs/stand-up (THAT I HAVE HEARD) has basically been atheism for the lulz. This was a refreshing change of pace.

#6 Posted by TheHT (10324 posts) -

Looks like Tim was winning until he made that song. *fart noise*

#7 Posted by dovido (1 posts) -

Tim's "answer" is obviously not aimed at "winning" against Phil Daoust. It is simply aimed at making a mockery about his own pride. So nobody wins, as there is no contest.

#8 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@dovido: Phil Daoust is that you?

#9 Edited by erhard (348 posts) -

Who "won"? Are you twelve?

#10 Posted by ninnanuam (216 posts) -

Thing is, I agree with the critic, I find Minchin interesting but not funny.

ill watch him and ill enjoy myself, but I wont be laughing

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (6376 posts) -

XBOX WON.

#12 Edited by joshwent (1781 posts) -

@fourwude said:

@dovido: Phil Daoust is that you?

Resurrecting a year and a half old thread to make his first post about his problems with a stand-up's ego on a video game site? Of course it's Phil Daoust!

#13 Edited by Korwin (2726 posts) -

I can't be the only person who has always found it amusing that Tim Minchin happens to sound exactly the same as Tim Freedman musically.

Edit: Also only just noticed the serious zombie nature of this thread... hot damn.

#14 Edited by michael_katarn (62 posts) -
#15 Posted by forkboy (973 posts) -

@elazul said:

@Joygirl said:

I really couldn't agree less. I actually quite like Tim, but that song makes him come off as a petty, self-absorbed jackass and has honestly lowered my opinion of him and his comedic skills far more than any review could. The only real way for him to "win" in a situation like that would've been to completely forget that guy even exists and continue his successful stand up career. Unfortunately for Tim, everyone is perfectly entitled to their own opinion and comedy is one of the most subjective forms of media around, so holding such a deep grudge about one negative review that he received the better part of a decade ago, even after he's become such a massive success, just seems incredibly desperate and honestly, unbelievably bizarre.

He doesn't hold the grudge anymore. He quickly got over it...Well, not that quickly, but he did get over it & does find it a bit embarassing that he wrote that song.

#16 Edited by TheHT (10324 posts) -

Looks like Tim was winning un--wait a minute...