#1 Posted by Wuddel (2107 posts) -

Hum. I watched the panel today. And it just occurred to me.

Timezones. Fuck'em. Why still have timezones? Who gives a shit what the number on the clock is. Why can't we all use GMT or something?

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

Because that wouldn't make sense.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Because that wouldn't make sense.

Why not? There would be a transition period but after awhile it would all even out. Would make life much easier.

#4 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

Because time needs to make sense. People would have to get used to the idea that in one place midday is at 4 am, and in another at 9pm.

#5 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Because that wouldn't make sense.

Why not? There would be a transition period but after awhile it would all even out. Would make life much easier.

Because it's a lot more convenient to know that 12.00 = noon everywhere, than it is to know that 02.30 = noon in New York and that 06.00 = noon in Copenhagen.

(pulled those numbers out of my arse)

#6 Posted by mosespippy (4587 posts) -

Screw timezones. The time right now is @290 beats.

#7 Posted by von_wemberg (169 posts) -

Yeah! Swatch internet time all the way, duders!

#8 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it would be confusing, in some places it would be 3pm and dark, while it's like 7and dark. i don't think it would be good. 
 
maybe if the earth was flat then we could.

#9 Posted by SinGulaR (2411 posts) -

Too bad the sun doesn't shine everywhere at once huh?

#10 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

WHAT IF THE 5 O CLOCK I SEE ISN'T THE 5 O CLOCK YOU SEE

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6498 posts) -

@SinGulaR said:

Too bad the sun doesn't shine everywhere at once huh?

How does this matter?

If everyone could forget that their 12pm was the middle of their working day then it would work fine. Just get rid of am and pm, and have a 24 hour clock. Seems a good idea to me, but the transition would be a bit weird for some.

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@enpopica said:

Yeah! Swatch internet time all the way, duders!

This guy's got it! Beats all the way!

#13 Posted by dudeglove (8510 posts) -

Because the planet rotates across the sun, and they figured how to measure this shit out millenia ago, so it's not going to change any time soon.

#14 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I think its much more sensible to have 12 noon be midday everywhere. shit would just be wrong otherwise.

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (12595 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

I think its much more sensible to have 12 noon be midday everywhere. shit would just be wrong otherwise.

I love how relevant your avatar is to your comment :D

#16 Posted by SinGulaR (2411 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@SinGulaR said:

Too bad the sun doesn't shine everywhere at once huh?

How does this matter?

If everyone could forget that their 12pm was the middle of their working day then it would work fine. Just get rid of am and pm, and have a 24 hour clock. Seems a good idea to me, but the transition would be a bit weird for some.

I don't know about you, but I would like my biorithm to fit to the enviroment around me. And getting up when it's night outside just because the clock tells me it isn't night but 7am does not only seem wrong to me, but totally unnatural.

#17 Posted by AlexW00d (6498 posts) -

@SinGulaR: You didn't read a single bit of what I wrote did you? I said we ditch the idea of am and pm, just numbers. That way we have nothing that shows 7 should be morning. Everywhere has 24 hour days still, and they go from midnight to midnight like now, but they just don't go from 12am to 11.59pm, they from 7 to 6.59 or 16 to 15.59. That kind of stuff.

Obviously this would never happen so it doesn't matter, but we can all hypothesise.

#18 Posted by Wuddel (2107 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@SinGulaR: You didn't read a single bit of what I wrote did you? I said we ditch the idea of am and pm, just numbers. That way we have nothing that shows 7 should be morning. Everywhere has 24 hour days still, and they go from midnight to midnight like now, but they just don't go from 12am to 11.59pm, they from 7 to 6.59 or 16 to 15.59. That kind of stuff.

Obviously this would never happen so it doesn't matter, but we can all hypothesise.

Exactly am/pm is more a amercian thing. Guess we have to wait until we start colonizing Mars or so.

#19 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

That would make it easier for scheduling something with people around the globe, but it's not exactly difficult to calculate the time difference. You say, "we'll have the conference call at 11:00 EST," and people can figure it out easily. However, for unscheduled communication it becomes a problem. If we use GMT and I want to give my good friend in Sydney a call at 16:30 which is late morning for me but early morning for them. How do I know that? Do I consult a map with a current night/daylight overlay? Is there a timetable with common wake/sleep times for every area on Earth? With everyone on the same time how do I know what those times mean for people in different places? Under the current system it's very easy to know exactly what part of day any place is in, regardless of my familiarity with it.

#20 Posted by mosespippy (4587 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Because the planet rotates across the sun, and they figured how to measure this shit out millenia ago, so it's not going to change any time soon.

Hate to burst your bubble but minutes as a measure of time and distance are only centuries old, not millenia old. That's why way back in the day moments were a measure of time that were 1/40th of an hour. They had moments because minutes didn't exist yet.

#21 Edited by SinGulaR (2411 posts) -

@Wuddel said:

@AlexW00d said:

@SinGulaR: You didn't read a single bit of what I wrote did you? I said we ditch the idea of am and pm, just numbers. That way we have nothing that shows 7 should be morning. Everywhere has 24 hour days still, and they go from midnight to midnight like now, but they just don't go from 12am to 11.59pm, they from 7 to 6.59 or 16 to 15.59. That kind of stuff.

Obviously this would never happen so it doesn't matter, but we can all hypothesise.

Exactly am/pm is more a amercian thing. Guess we have to wait until we start colonizing Mars or so.

I get it. Put wouldn't considering the sleep/wake cycle of the part of the planet you communicate with be just like considering the timezone? I mean where is the difference between "Their buisness hours are from 17:00 till 01:00." and "Their timezone is mine +9 hours." Where would be the merit in a change there?

BTW: The shedule on Giant Bomb shows times relevant to the timezone you are in.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Because that wouldn't make sense.

Why not? There would be a transition period but after awhile it would all even out. Would make life much easier.

Because it's a lot more convenient to know that 12.00 = noon everywhere, than it is to know that 02.30 = noon in New York and that 06.00 = noon in Copenhagen.

(pulled those numbers out of my arse)

I'm confused.... I'm agreeing that we should have the same time everywhere but your first post is against it then your second one is that you are for it....

#23 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@dudeglove said:

Because the planet rotates across the sun, and they figured how to measure this shit out millenia ago, so it's not going to change any time soon.

Hate to burst your bubble but minutes as a measure of time and distance are only centuries old, not millenia old. That's why way back in the day moments were a measure of time that were 1/40th of an hour. They had moments because minutes didn't exist yet.

Yeah...I'm sure you really 'bursted his bubble'. I hope you can pick up on this sarcasm, because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

#24 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Because that wouldn't make sense.

Why not? There would be a transition period but after awhile it would all even out. Would make life much easier.

Because it's a lot more convenient to know that 12.00 = noon everywhere, than it is to know that 02.30 = noon in New York and that 06.00 = noon in Copenhagen.

(pulled those numbers out of my arse)

I'm confused.... I'm agreeing that we should have the same time everywhere but your first post is against it then your second one is that you are for it....

What?

I'm saying that the time of day is more important to ordinary people than what the international time is.

When I said that it's more convenient to know that 12.00 is noon everywhere, I meant that it's more convenient to know that the sun is at its highest position (almost) at 12.00 regardless of location.

#25 Posted by JBird (490 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose: I literally have no idea what your saying now! I read this entire thread thinking you have some interesting points but maybe you confused yourself? Is this what your trying to say...

Lets say that everyone in the world decided that GMT was the standard, and we had a 24 hour clock. So when the sun is highest in the sky above Greenwich it is 12 for the entire world. The problem is that for someone in New York, from their perspective the sun is not the highest in the sky is it? To him, the sun will be at its "highest" point not for another 5 hours, so you propose that everyone changes their entire life pattern to live following GMT. Everyone eats lunch at 12noon, whether its dark, suns rising, setting or whatever. This is in no way a good idea.

For my dude in new York to live a normal life and eat lunch when the sun is highest in the sky, following GMT he would be eating at about 5pm. At this point there is no real advantage to anyone outside of the UK. Everyone will be living the same life that they already lived but following British Time, which is kinda dumb.

#26 Posted by dudeglove (8510 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@dudeglove said:

Because the planet rotates across the sun, and they figured how to measure this shit out millenia ago, so it's not going to change any time soon.

Hate to burst your bubble but minutes as a measure of time and distance are only centuries old, not millenia old. That's why way back in the day moments were a measure of time that were 1/40th of an hour. They had moments because minutes didn't exist yet.

I'm talking about sundials. Y'know, the things the Egyptians and Greeks used several thousand years ago? Never mind.

#27 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

@JBird: I have no idea how you can have trouble understanding what it is I'm saying, though to be fair I'm not entirely sober.

I have argued against removing timezones because 12.00 should always be when the sun is at its highest for wherever you live, which is what we use now (timezones).

Jesus Christ, maybe I should just give up on English and start writing everything in my native language.