• 90 results
#1 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

And is it a good idea to become one? I need the advice of users who have been homeless.

I have many questions like:

• Will I get to do nothing all day or will my days be spent preoccupied begging and scavenging for money/food? If it's the latter then that sucks and it would kind of defeat the point of becoming homeless in the first place.
  • Will I bored all the time since I have nothing to do and can't play games?
  • Where will I sleep? Poop?
  • Is it true that homeless people get raped? Someone on another board said this.

Am I in over my head?

Also there was that one anime where a girl lived in a tent by herself for years. Maybe I can be a tent person, but should I be concerned over bears and rapists?

#2 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

...Stay in school.

Your questions imply you aren't cut out for the dangers of life outside of shelter

#3 Posted by NTM (7288 posts) -

This is where I say the cliche "can't tell if serious".

#4 Posted by Dourin (232 posts) -

You should be concerned over bear rapists.

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

1. You will have to work your ass off to stay alive 
2. Yes 
3. You sleep on benches or in alleys, or at the police. You shit in public restrooms 
4. Yes 

Yes, you're in over your head. No one in their right mind chooses to live as a homeless person.

#6 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Discarded pizza boxes are an inexpensive source of cheese.

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

what anime was that?

#8 Edited by Village_Guy (2509 posts) -

You'll be rummaging through other peoples trash, eating what edible you can find (and at bad times stuff you wouldn't really consider edible), then you'll have to spend most of your time searching for dropped coins, begging for money or stealing - so you can afford slightly better food.

The majority of other homeless people around you will be spending all their time and money to ensure themselves more booze or the next quick fix for drugs. You probably shouldn't worry about being raped, but violence against you should be expected.

Oh, and if your part of the world gets cold at night or during the winter, then you risk the very real danger of freezing to death in your sleep.

Sleeping will be anywhere you can find that will give you shelter from the weather (if it's bad), but mostly homeless people sleeps under bridges, in alleys, or anywhere they can get inside - I have talked to a couple of homeless people who sleeps in trash containers at times.

#9 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

What?

#10 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

While I've never been homeless, I did spend a few weeks in London with minimal cash and no shelter. I don't recommend it if you don't have some greater goal behind it, and I could not imagine doing it indefinitely.

• If you're only asking for food, you'll be much better off, as it just takes one person and then you're (mostly) good for the day. With money, all they give you is cents, and it will takes tens of them before you can buy anything worthwhile. People will also more easily give you food than money (because you might spend it on drugs).
  • If you like walking around cities you should have some fun, but I couldn't imagine spending longer doing this than I did without getting bored. (I take it that you're going to move around like a proper urban nomad rather than just sitting in the same spot all day.)
  • Train stations and bus stations. If you're not allowed where you are, I'd imagine you're pretty screwed, but unless you're doing it in a huge city, I don't recommend it anyway.
  • The trick is to not look like a homeless person, but yeah. Sometimes you can't help it, and you'll be more vulnerable. Smoking cigarettes can help you to not look like you're lost or vulnerable, especially if you need to read maps or collect yourself.

Probably not. Try it out for a week at first, if you're unsure.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I think a tent that you can dismantle and carry around with you would be invaluable as a homeless person. A sleeping bag would be nice too.

#12 Posted by VoshiNova (1645 posts) -

ha bear rapists.

#13 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Put socks on your hands and wear a lamp-shade as a hat. Run around screaming about aliens. If nothing else, we'll get a good laugh out of it.

#14 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Did she use leaves as a tampon substitute?

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10576 posts) -

All you need is a cardboard box, a can of beans, and a nice knife.

#16 Posted by Clonedzero (4101 posts) -

get a bone, theres alittle bit of meat on it, throw it in some broth, maybe a potato and baby, you got a stew going

#17 Edited by Akyho (1587 posts) -

You would also be fighting with people who are not homeless for money. I saw a woman begging at the end of the day got the money she raised, baught some very frivolous stuff then hopped on a bus and spend £1.80 to go to the next stop. £1.80 is like $3.70 for a 1 minute ride, and a five minute walk.

I couldnt even afford to do!!!

I also homeless person with a blanket begging, talking to a guy. The homless person stood up, changed accent. The other guy replaced him. Then said "Ok so ill see you n 8 hours?" orignal homless guy said "yeah I am just going into starbucks for some soup and a coffee."

STARBUCKS SOUP AND A COFFEE!?!?!?! THATS £10 or more!! $16 odds!!

Oh and dont forget about this.

http://laist.com/2012/07/19/alleged_serial_killer_stabbed_homeless.php

Yeah...homelessness sounds fun. 10 year olds dropping concrete blocks on your head? Sign me up!

Bumhunter anyone? Steve irwin wannabe fucking around with you when you were trying to sleep.

Oh and Bumfights.

Serious or not. Homelessness is not fun.

#18 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Its sad when I see happy and energetic homeless people because they end up becoming crazy and/or jaded.  I think there should be modern labour camps or something.  Like its a bit of a waste for them to be sitting on a nice street and everything.  And also it messes up the view to be honest.  I dunno, there are so many homeless people in my city because of the mild climate so they just come over here.  I wish there was an easy solution that doesnt include murdering them.  

#19 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

Ya gotta think on your feet to live on the street

#20 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Its sad when I see happy and energetic homeless people because they end up becoming crazy and/or jaded. I think there should be modern labour camps or something. Like its a bit of a waste for them to be sitting on a nice street and everything. And also it messes up the view to be honest. I dunno, there are so many homeless people in my city because of the mild climate so they just come over here. I wish there was an easy solution that doesnt include murdering them.

What city do you live in?

#21 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -

Do you have a car? If so then there's where you sleep. If not then take the aforementioned advice of park benches, police stations, etc. Wash in public restrooms. If you need somewhere to sit, find a McDonald's. Typically they won't hassle you if you're sitting there for a long time because the workers all make minimum wage and couldn't care less so long as you're quiet. If they do give you shit, buy a cup for a dollar. You can keep refilling it and you're officially considered a "paying customer". It'd help if you had like a hundred bucks as starter money that you absolutely do not dip into unless you're facing death by starvation or dehydration. If you're in a pinch for money you can find a methadone clinic and say you're a Heroin addict. Methadone will go for big bucks on the street and in some clinics it's free for, you know, homeless people.

#22 Posted by BaneFireLord (2913 posts) -
@Clonedzero said:

get a bone, theres alittle bit of meat on it, throw it in some broth, maybe a potato and baby, you got a stew going

That show is so damned good.
#23 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@Akyho said:

lolol "does everyone have their homeless essay?"

oh god, school

#24 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Actually, if you're in America, I don't recommend it at all. Someone might take some drugs and eat your face.

#25 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

You're gonna need a stick and a handkerchief to keep your stuff in.

#26 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@ComradeKhan said:

I was thinking a backpack because I don't want to have to carry anything (as in with my hands)

#27 Posted by Ekami (252 posts) -

Wander outside of the places you used to live, the bittersweet memories of your past life fading, until you are nothing but a shadow adrift in the cold winds.

Also, a bindle.

#28 Posted by Ekami (252 posts) -

Then, when you least expect it, YOU WILL BECOME THE HUNTER.

#29 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@egg said:

@ComradeKhan said:

I was thinking a backpack because I don't want to have to carry anything (as in with my hands)

Stick + Handkerchief is a timeless, tried and true, piece of hobo technology
#30 Posted by fox01313 (5064 posts) -

Stay in school but if you want to join the ranks of worldwide hobos, get a trained pack of raccoons for making life a lot easier.

#31 Posted by GnomeonFire (700 posts) -

Go to Eugene Oregon.

#32 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@NTM: I'm going to go with not serious, and trolling for a heartfelt response pleading them to reconsider.

#33 Posted by HatKing (5848 posts) -

Fucking condescending piece of shit. God, I hope your privileged ass has to make some hard decisions in the future.

#34 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

what anime was that?

Fruits Basket I think.

#35 Posted by Ekami (252 posts) -

@HatKing: When he finally understands the wandering life and he becomes one with the darkness, he'll have to choose whether to the wield the NIGHTBLADE, or have it wield HIM.

#36 Posted by Andorski (5206 posts) -

@egg said:

And is it a good idea to become one?

The first sentence of the OP's post made me laugh way more than I aught to.

#37 Posted by crazyleaves (640 posts) -

I was homeless for about six months, I don't recommend it. I was even living out of my huge '70 Chrysler Newport. The people who choose to be homeless like gutter-punks and pilgrims don't go on internet forums. I vote no for you.

#38 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@egg said:

Its sad when I see happy and energetic homeless people because they end up becoming crazy and/or jaded. I think there should be modern labour camps or something. Like its a bit of a waste for them to be sitting on a nice street and everything. And also it messes up the view to be honest. I dunno, there are so many homeless people in my city because of the mild climate so they just come over here. I wish there was an easy solution that doesnt include murdering them.

What city do you live in?

Vancouver
#39 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

I´d suggest you to stop making threads.

#40 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

@VoshiNova said:

ha bear rapists.

Someone is raping bears!

#41 Posted by Samael2138 (232 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

Carl Weathers for the win!!!!

In all seriousness, though, being homeless sucks. I've lived in a shed for a couple years and it sucks, seriously. And that's not officially "homeless". Having to walk 50 yards across a field in the rain late at night because your about to shit yourself , also sucks, but at least there was a bathroom at the end.

#42 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Is that Steve Irwin Bumhunter thing real or staged?

(1) If its staged then its fucking idiotic.

(2) If its real then Holy Moley you guys what a piece of shit. hopefully he'll grab a guy and come up with a big handful of HIV needles

#43 Edited by TwoArmed (110 posts) -

@RenMcKormack: It's real and he got arrested a long time ago IIRC because one of the people he was harassing got hurt.

#44 Posted by MikkaQ (10270 posts) -

Maybe try leaving them alone? It's a good solution really, kinda solves the problem right then and there. If poorly dressed people ruin your view then I don't know what to say. That was a joke right? Either way you should invest in some horse blinders for yourself, that way you won't have to look at the homeless.

#45 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@crazyleaves said:

I was homeless for about six months, I don't recommend it. I was even living out of my huge '70 Chrysler Newport. The people who choose to be homeless like gutter-punks and pilgrims don't go on internet forums. I vote no for you.

what are gutter-punks and pilgrims?

#46 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Really? just put some goverment money into buying them some classy suits once a month so people can pretend they are businessmen who had a bad night.

#47 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1924 posts) -

Well, this is the craziest topic I've ever seen.

#48 Posted by GnomeonFire (700 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

what anime was that?

Fruits Basket I think.

I was thinking Arakawa Under the Bridge

#49 Edited by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@egg:

I have been homeless for about 2 months in the Montreal region (December and January) and here are my tips:

1-The moment it appends you have to leave your grief behind (whatever story caused you to become homeless) and become completely obsess about getting off the street.

2-Make sure that you have no alternative options, like a relative or a friend who could help you for some time.

3-Make money to feed your self: Beg if you can or find cans and bottles that you can sell for money (assuming that empty cans are worth something in your country).

4-Do your best to find a job, any job (I found mine back than by walking in a factory and asking directly the manager for one). If you are honest (and sober), you can explain your situation and if they can, people will try to help you (providing you don’t scare them).

5-Once you have a job find a place to stay, don’t be too difficult. (After I got my first pay I rented a room in a shady motel for 300$ a month. It was pretty bad; the clients of the whore that use to live there would come knocking at night.)

6-Gradualy work on improving your new life…(or get revenge).

#50 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@MikkaQ said:

Maybe try leaving them alone? It's a good solution really, kinda solves the problem right then and there. If poorly dressed people ruin your view then I don't know what to say. That was a joke right? Either way you should invest in some horse blinders for yourself, that way you won't have to look at the homeless.

Well its not like it ruins my day or anything.  But I mean, certain places would look nicer without them there.  There are actually a lot of homeless people here its pretty crazy.