Avatar image for radicalbigdaddy
RadicalBigDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RadicalBigDaddy

About 2 years ago I started an intense eating/workout change of lifestyle that resulted in me losing a large amount of weight.  This included cardio (speed walking, treadmill, and/or stationary bike) for at least 1.5 hrs per session (6-7 times per week) and some basic weightlifting (2 times per week).  I have found that now that I am very near my goal weight/health level that I have become very burned out on the exercise portion of my routine.  I have tried doing a little less and changing some of my routines but I have lately been finding it torture to do it at all.  What do you do when you feel this way?  Stop your routine completely for awhile (and if so how long?) or just struggle through and accept that it needs to be done.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DrPockets000

You're reaching a threshold that can be overcome.  Now is the absolute worst time to quit.  Keep pushing and the feeling will pass.  Hang in there!

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoMate
@DrPockets000 said:
" You're reaching a threshold that can be overcome.  Now is the absolute worst time to quit.  Keep pushing and the feeling will pass.  Hang in there! "
this, worst thing is if you overcame it and after that stopped training for a few weeks/months and than find yourself having to do it again... sigh
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrPockets000
@JoMate said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
" You're reaching a threshold that can be overcome.  Now is the absolute worst time to quit.  Keep pushing and the feeling will pass.  Hang in there! "
this, worst thing is if you overcame it and after that stopped training for a few weeks/months and than find yourself having to do it again... sigh "
Yeah definitely.  Stop now and you'll have to start all over.  
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By empfeix

I recommend stopping now and have some pizza and wings to celebrate.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ch3burashka
@DrPockets000 said:
This. Much like with anything that is hard or unpleasant, the most important thing is to power through. If you give up now, it will be exponentially harder when you pick it up again.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zimbo

Or you can't. Either way works out well. Fitness on one side. Pizza on the other.

mmmm Pizza.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By foggel

You work out 8 - 9 times a week? That's not healthy... You can cut it down to three times a week, even twice is good. And one hour cardio is sufficient. Remember to eat healthy, and enough. If you work out too often, and eat too little, you'll get dizzy, and sick... you'll lose motivation and, yeah, this happens.

I work out frequently, and have done for a good while. If I eat too little working out is horrible. Tip: Poor some sugar into your water bottle (one tea spoon). When you drink the receptors on your tongue will tell the body that carbs are on the way, and you get more energy.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#9  Edited By citizenkane

I need to start exercising more.

And by "exercising more", I mean actually start exercising again after months off.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

Quit speed walking and do some sprints.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool
@RadicalBigDaddy: You've plateaued, it's inevitable. I suggest jogging outside. It rarely gets boring and you can always choose a different route to keep you from getting bored.
JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By JessicaBoo

Just don't change your eating habits, walk alot, you can do it.  

But overdoing yourself results to this. One things is exercising, the other is over doing yourself to the point your body wants to give up. 1 hour a day. No more no less. And eat balanced food. No junk...  

Take it easy and find something that motivates your, perhaps what motivated you in the first place. YOUR ALMOST THERE! :D 

Avatar image for bluephoenixmedia
bluephoenixmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bluephoenixmedia

I got there about 3 years ago and pretty much every work out is a struggle at this point...the best thing I ever did was join a traditional kung fu school (not americanized).  I highly recommend it, great cardio and conditioning plus self defense.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Kazona

It's already been said, but you are overdoing it. You are demanding too much from your body. Give your body some more rest in between training sessions.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn

As a runner I understand the importance of tapering. Sometimes you need to slow down and do less hard exercise.  You need to keep doing something though because stopping will make it impossible to get back into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less cardio, honestly 6-7 times a week of 1.5 hours cardio is way to much. I would suggest switching from cardio 3 times a week for say 15-30 minutes and start weight lifting 5 times a week. You may have reached a weight goal, but im sure with all that cardio you've done a decent dent in your muscle. I understand you do muscle training 2 times a week that doesn't seem good enough to keep you building muscle. And intimately I'm not saying you want to get jacked but more muscle means more calories being burned a day.  

Final suggestions less cardio more weight training, and make sure to eat a good balance of protein, carbs, and vegis. =] hope that helps.  
Eating is honestly the key for anyone trying to lose weight.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rebirth1337
Don't stop but cut back. 6-7 times a week is a lot.
Van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Van
@Zimbo

Or you can't. Either way works out well. Fitness on one side. Pizza on the other.

mmmm Pizza.

I would change your routine. You are likely now fit enough to make full use of high intensity interval training (HIIT). Go read up on it.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By CptChiken

Its a hump everyone gets to. Once your over it you'll start to feel awesome again... good luck buddy!

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jasta

Stopping would be stupid, why quit now? Get something out of it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Hamst3r
@RadicalBigDaddy: I've only recently started to exercise, but what gets me through it is watching shows. Nature shows are good as they're usually fourty-five minutes an episode. I learn stuff and forget that I'm working out.

It works better than listening to music as it gives my brain and eyes something to focus on.
LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By LackLuster

Sounds like you're working out  too much so you could tone it down but do not stop completely

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's even harder to get back into it, so push through it. You can be a little easier, but don't stop exercising. Just slow down a little bit.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I suggest talking to a doctor or a fitness expert if you're asking for advice on your exercise routine. Personally I think you should keep going but go at a slightly less intense pace.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I've never felt that way. I eat what I want and still work out. I've lost weight but I'm happy with the way I am right now. I just work out now because I like it.
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By unchained

I'm going to disagree with a lot of advice here.  

Take a week or two off. Relax and play games and eat bad. You are burned right the fuck out. Your muscles need recovery and you need to take some time off.  

If you have been doing this for damn near 2 years, you will notice the lack of exercise starting to nag you and you will WANT to get back at it. I've been working out for 20 years man. I've won bench press competitions and I'm a fitness coordinator with my police force.  

If you are worried that you won't get back to it, then give yourself a time limit for no exercise. 2 weeks, three weeks, a month....whatever. Just mark the day you are going to get back at it, and stick to it. You will have renewed enthusiasm for your workouts. 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By endless_void

Just wonderin but do you mean P90x? Oh and you can do it duder! Just a bit more man.

mcmets93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By mcmets93

Keep working hard! you came all this way no need to lighten up yet or at all.. if you keep going heavy it will be more beneficial to you!

Spoonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spoonman

You're burned out, while stopping completely isn't the answer you need to find a balance.  Maybe instead of hitting the cardio hard at the gym,  go for a solid run outside somewhere you enjoy.  Right now it seems like you need to find ways to enjoy the exercise you are doing.  Sounds like you've worked your tail off and you should feel good about that, but you need to find the balance to be able to slow down and enjoy the progress you've made.

Avatar image for radicalbigdaddy
RadicalBigDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RadicalBigDaddy

Thanks for all the advice (and encouragement).  For the cardio I have decided as suggested by many to cut back on the frequency/duration and focus on upping the intensity of the remaining sessions.  I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the diet portion as I rarely if ever cheat and stick mainly with fruits/vegetables/lean proteins for my meals.  I don't want to go back to the way I was before so I just have to figure out a way to make activity (walking, running, biking) a part of my "normal" lifestyle going forward.