• 173 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

 To everyone who claims to hate anime, have you guys ever even taken the time to watch a series? And no I don't mean DragonBall Z, Naruto, Bleach or any of that bullshit that used to come on cartoon network when we were younger. I'm asking if you guys have ever sittin down and taken the time to watch a popular anime series that isn't over 100 episodes and aimed at 12 year olds? I mean about 4 years ago I was just like you guys, I said I hated anime because they always had generic simple storylines and most episodes involved a lot of heavy breathing and "awwwing". I thought anime was only aimed at 14 year olds and you had to be a fucking idiot to watch it. 
 
That is, until I saw Death Note and to say the least I was blown away. There were no steroid junkie guys with blonde spiky hair punching each other for 10 episodes straight, there wasn't any pointless conversation about gaining physical power. Instead what I saw was one of the greatest games of cat and mouse I had ever seen, I saw an anime that made me deeply question my morals. This show depicted a man who tried to create a utopian world by using extremely controversial methods, and it depicted another man who would do everything in his power to stop him. For over 30 episodes I watched these two men play with each others heads like a game of chess, constantly predicting each others moves and acting on each others methods in a decisive manner. I was on the edge of my seat for every twist and turn and by the end of the series all I was saying to myself was....wow.
 
But then I thought that deep philosophical animes like Death Note were a rarity, of course every other anime is about spiky haired ninjas doing crazy shit with their hand right? right?......Dead wrong, I then stumbled on an anime called Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and again I was blown away. Once again I found myself questioning my morals and wondering if the cold, calculating, damn near genocidal protagonist was really right in what he was doing. Sure his goals were noble but his methods were barbaric. The series followed two galactic nations as they fought each other for complete control, one nation was a "righteous" democracy and the other was a Totalitarian nation that at first glance resembled the Empire from Star Wars. At first I was going to write it off as some good vs evil BS but once again I was surprised. Neither side was depicted as evil in any way, the Totalitarian nation was prospering under a fair but rash leader and the Democracy was actually falling apart because of its rampant corruption. What followed was one of the best political thrillers I had ever seen in my life, I wont spoil the things that happen but damn I was blown away.
 
I started looking for more animes that didn't fit the stereotype and the ones I watched simply amazed me, Code Geass, Kenshin OVAs, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Phantom requiem, Ghost in the shell, Great Teacher Onizuka, the list just went on and on. And then I finally realized that the anime genre is just as varied as any form of media out today. Sure there's alot of spiky haired teenagers fighting off evil over 200 episodes, but there's also animes that focus on Politics, Philosophy, Serial Killers, Gangs, Warfare, Romance, etc. So when I see people that say they hate anime I just believe they haven't even bothered to try it.
 
 
I don't care who you are or what your taste are, I guarantee to anybody out there that they can find at least one anime series that they will simply love.

#1 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

 To everyone who claims to hate anime, have you guys ever even taken the time to watch a series? And no I don't mean DragonBall Z, Naruto, Bleach or any of that bullshit that used to come on cartoon network when we were younger. I'm asking if you guys have ever sittin down and taken the time to watch a popular anime series that isn't over 100 episodes and aimed at 12 year olds? I mean about 4 years ago I was just like you guys, I said I hated anime because they always had generic simple storylines and most episodes involved a lot of heavy breathing and "awwwing". I thought anime was only aimed at 14 year olds and you had to be a fucking idiot to watch it. 
 
That is, until I saw Death Note and to say the least I was blown away. There were no steroid junkie guys with blonde spiky hair punching each other for 10 episodes straight, there wasn't any pointless conversation about gaining physical power. Instead what I saw was one of the greatest games of cat and mouse I had ever seen, I saw an anime that made me deeply question my morals. This show depicted a man who tried to create a utopian world by using extremely controversial methods, and it depicted another man who would do everything in his power to stop him. For over 30 episodes I watched these two men play with each others heads like a game of chess, constantly predicting each others moves and acting on each others methods in a decisive manner. I was on the edge of my seat for every twist and turn and by the end of the series all I was saying to myself was....wow.
 
But then I thought that deep philosophical animes like Death Note were a rarity, of course every other anime is about spiky haired ninjas doing crazy shit with their hand right? right?......Dead wrong, I then stumbled on an anime called Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and again I was blown away. Once again I found myself questioning my morals and wondering if the cold, calculating, damn near genocidal protagonist was really right in what he was doing. Sure his goals were noble but his methods were barbaric. The series followed two galactic nations as they fought each other for complete control, one nation was a "righteous" democracy and the other was a Totalitarian nation that at first glance resembled the Empire from Star Wars. At first I was going to write it off as some good vs evil BS but once again I was surprised. Neither side was depicted as evil in any way, the Totalitarian nation was prospering under a fair but rash leader and the Democracy was actually falling apart because of its rampant corruption. What followed was one of the best political thrillers I had ever seen in my life, I wont spoil the things that happen but damn I was blown away.
 
I started looking for more animes that didn't fit the stereotype and the ones I watched simply amazed me, Code Geass, Kenshin OVAs, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Phantom requiem, Ghost in the shell, Great Teacher Onizuka, the list just went on and on. And then I finally realized that the anime genre is just as varied as any form of media out today. Sure there's alot of spiky haired teenagers fighting off evil over 200 episodes, but there's also animes that focus on Politics, Philosophy, Serial Killers, Gangs, Warfare, Romance, etc. So when I see people that say they hate anime I just believe they haven't even bothered to try it.
 
 
I don't care who you are or what your taste are, I guarantee to anybody out there that they can find at least one anime series that they will simply love.

#2 Posted by Kagamine (100 posts) -
#3 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

My answer is simple: I just don't care for a lot of the anime tropes. I do really like the art style, it's just the storytelling tropes that turn me off.

#4 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -

Dude, if you haven't watched FMA (the original one) then go and watch it right now. It's a marvelous, well developed anime.

#5 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

I'll give it to ya straight, alot of it barely makes sense, characters only annoy and the story is always dull. Art style is good though

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm willing to bet there are some people on this site that dislike anime simply because Jeff once said "Anime is for jerks".

#7 Edited by RecSpec (3678 posts) -

Death Note is a joke. To be fair, all anime is a joke as far as storytelling is concerned, kinda like video games.
 
Manga > Anime for most cases imo.

#8 Posted by RJay_64 (631 posts) -

You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.  
 
But it can't be because of the storylines because anime is so broad that you could be talking about a number of different shows...from shows about 3 sisters who do nothing (like the 3 girls in my avatar)...to something like Death Note

#9 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

I don't hate anime, I just rarely find one that I enjoy. 
  
Usually they have to have a limited run, no 100+ episodes of delaying confrontation, no silly comedic reactions, and no puppy love romances.  

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
It's in Off-Topic
#11 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -
@RJay_64 said:
" You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.   
 
But damn...can you imagine how bad some things would be? 
I mean, let's take Death Note. Some of the ridiculous writing sequences would be just laughable if an actual actor was doing it.
#12 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.   
 But damn...can you imagine how bad some things would be?  I mean, let's take Death Note. Some of the ridiculous writing sequences would be just laughable if an actual actor was doing it. "
Pardon? Death Note would be one of the easiest, since it wouldn't need much special effects. And how are the writing sequences ridiculous?
#13 Edited by RecSpec (3678 posts) -

Delete. Delete! DELETE! DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!
 
Spoilers for Death Note obviously.
 

#14 Posted by Hailinel (22670 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I'm willing to bet there are some people on this site that dislike anime simply because Jeff once said "Anime is for jerks". "
This.  Also, some people on this site are incapable of forming their own opinions and will parrot anything the staff says, no matter how uninformed or facetious the original comment may be.
#15 Edited by Spoonman671 (4369 posts) -

There's a lot of reasons I hate anime, but one of the biggest is way they constantly interrupt action sequences in order to explain what is happening in those action sequences.  They would work much better as radio plays.

#16 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -
@Spoonman671:  Or in a manga.
#17 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1895 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" My answer is simple: I just don't care for a lot of the anime tropes. I do really like the art style, it's just the storytelling tropes that turn me off. "
I feel the same way. The anime I have seen was overly dramatised and self serious. If it hadn't been pretending to be so artful I might have enjoyed it but I found that really off putting.
#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You can keep making these blogs, where you passively attempt to attach negative labels to people who don't like anime so you can dismiss them for not validating your little hobby. You can keep doing that or you can go to a site where people there like anime. Like, a site based around anime.

#19 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said:
" There's a lot of reasons I hate anime, but one the biggest is way they constantly interrupt action sequences in order to explain what is happening in those action sequences.  They would work much better as radio plays. "
Dude did you read my entire blog? Granted it's a little long but my entire blog is talking about how stereotypes like that don't apply to most anime and I backed it up by giving examples of to series that don't.
#20 Posted by Kagamine (100 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
It's in Off-Topic "
So?
#21 Posted by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -
@JB16: iv basically never really been into anime more or less coz of the things you mentioned. tho those series you gave as examples sound frickin amazing in terms of story. you may have just convinced me to try it. well written sir!  
#22 Posted by Akeldama (4216 posts) -

Anime is for jerks.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Kagamine said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
It's in Off-Topic "
So? "
So it doesn't have to be in Anime Vice
#24 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

While I like a good story as much as the next guy, I er. enjoy a good story. Soo much (Not all) anime is just the same trope filled cliched crap repeated infinitum. Sure some of it is original, and really fucking cool. I love Ninja Scroll, and will never be able to remove Neon genesis from my head as hard as i try. And Akira will always be FUCKING AKIRA BITCHES.
 
But so much else is the same shit over and over. And I personally have a very hard time dealing with certain cultural differences that come across in anime. i don;t care much for characters who constantly scream and shriek. I know its a Japanese thing, its something they do, and I gaijin don't get it. But its still fucking obnoxious. And as someone who is relatively blase and passive in my emotions and expressions, the super-dee0duperly hyper exaggerated facial expressions, just irk me to no end, and jar me out of the experience. 
 
I would much rather watch a bad ass Hong Kong action movie, than another anime about a guy living with 6 outrageously attractive women of various ages, hair color, and body type who oddly are attracted to him, but who won't  tap that.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

So do you walk around with those hats with ears on them?  Because thats what the people at my school that like anime do.  They sit around and talk about Maplestory, and draw anime porn.
#26 Posted by Kagamine (100 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Kagamine said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
It's in Off-Topic "
So? "
So it doesn't have to be in Anime Vice "
I never said it should.
#27 Posted by Shirogane (3559 posts) -
@JB16 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.   
 But damn...can you imagine how bad some things would be?  I mean, let's take Death Note. Some of the ridiculous writing sequences would be just laughable if an actual actor was doing it. "
Pardon? Death Note would be one of the easiest, since it wouldn't need much special effects. And how are the writing sequences ridiculous? "

   It's already happened.
#28 Posted by Hailinel (22670 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" Anime is for jerks. "
And here we have the laziest poster and biggest sheep in the thread.
#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Kagamine said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Kagamine said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
It's in Off-Topic "
So? "
So it doesn't have to be in Anime Vice "
I never said it should. "
The link you posted was anime vice, so I assumed your were trying to be a smartass.
#30 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @JB16 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.   
 But damn...can you imagine how bad some things would be?  I mean, let's take Death Note. Some of the ridiculous writing sequences would be just laughable if an actual actor was doing it. "
Pardon? Death Note would be one of the easiest, since it wouldn't need much special effects. And how are the writing sequences ridiculous? "

   It's already happened. "
 
Exactly, and the only fans of it would be fans of the anime.
In no way whatsoever did that reach beyond the anime or manga's fanbase.
#31 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" You can keep making these blogs, where you passively attempt to attach negative labels to people who don't like anime so you can dismiss them for not validating your little hobby. You can keep doing that or you can go to a site where people there like anime. Like, a site based around anime. "
Dude I'm not trying to passively call anyone idiots and I'm not trying to bash anyone. All I'm trying to do is tell people that their hate towards anime is generally misplaced, they hate it based on stereotypes that only apply to some (not all) anime. I mean a lot of anime is so varied and thought-provoking that I think it's a shame that people hate simply because of shows like DragonBall Z and Naruto.
#32 Posted by Hailinel (22670 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @Shirogane said:
" @JB16 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.   
 But damn...can you imagine how bad some things would be?  I mean, let's take Death Note. Some of the ridiculous writing sequences would be just laughable if an actual actor was doing it. "
Pardon? Death Note would be one of the easiest, since it wouldn't need much special effects. And how are the writing sequences ridiculous? "

   It's already happened. "
 Exactly, and the only fans of it would be fans of the anime. In no way whatsoever did that reach beyond the anime or manga's fanbase. "
Is that really unusual?  Do you see the Harry Potter films making grand concessions for those that aren't fans of the novels?  No, it's just your standard adaptation.
#33 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I'm willing to bet there are some people on this site that dislike anime simply because Jeff once said "Anime is for jerks". "
#34 Posted by PhaggyBigNastyMcKill (564 posts) -

  

#35 Posted by MonetaryDread (1945 posts) -

I don't hate anime. I just hate sorting through the crappy anime to find something I like.

#36 Posted by Ihmishylje (379 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:
" And I personally have a very hard time dealing with certain cultural differences that come across in anime. i don;t care much for characters who constantly scream and shriek. I know its a Japanese thing, its something they do, and I gaijin don't get it. But its still fucking obnoxious. And as someone who is relatively blase and passive in my emotions and expressions, the super-dee0duperly hyper exaggerated facial expressions, just irk me to no end, and jar me out of the experience.   I would much rather watch a bad ass Hong Kong action movie, than another anime about a guy living with 6 outrageously attractive women of various ages, hair color, and body type who oddly are attracted to him, but who won't  tap that. "
Pretty much this. Also, I don't like the art style or the low framerate that characterizes anime. But yeah, the (voice) acting is annoying and I have little interest in Japanese culture. So it's pretty difficult for me to enjoy even supposedly "quality" anime -- I have tried, although admittedly not that often. It's not just about Anime, I have little interest in the cinema, both live action and animation, of a lot of countries, most notably my own (Finland). I love American cinema and pop culture. Yes, most of it is shit too, but there is something to the style that I've grown up with and learned to enjoy that allows me to tolerate even low quality fare.
 
So, to recap: it may be partly down to my genes (how my brain has shaped in reaction to environmental factors), and partly down to how and where I've lived my life that I find little interest in anime. I'm very picky about games and movies and music and books etc. anyway. If there is even one thing in something that puts me off, it's difficult to convince me to try. I know I may be missing out on something, but I guess I don't care. After all, it's not the story, it's how it's told, and the way anime tels it holds little interest to me.
#37 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @Shirogane said:
" @JB16 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" @RJay_64 said:
" You can take any anime storyline and make it into a live action show, so maybe people just don't like animation and want to see real life characters.   
 But damn...can you imagine how bad some things would be?  I mean, let's take Death Note. Some of the ridiculous writing sequences would be just laughable if an actual actor was doing it. "
Pardon? Death Note would be one of the easiest, since it wouldn't need much special effects. And how are the writing sequences ridiculous? "

   It's already happened. "
 Exactly, and the only fans of it would be fans of the anime. In no way whatsoever did that reach beyond the anime or manga's fanbase. "
Is that really unusual?  Do you see the Harry Potter films making grand concessions for those that aren't fans of the novels?  No, it's just your standard adaptation. "
 
Well, I saw his post as saying that some anime would be more popular if they were live action instead of animated, which is clearly not the case.
#38 Posted by Deusoma (2970 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I'm willing to bet there are some people on this site that dislike anime simply because Jeff once said "Anime is for jerks". "
#39 Posted by LiquidPrince (15596 posts) -
@JB16 said:
"  To everyone who claims to hate anime, have you guys ever even taken the time to watch a series? And no I don't mean DragonBall Z, Naruto, Bleach or any of that bullshit that used to come on cartoon network when we were younger. I'm asking if you guys have ever sittin down and taken the time to watch a popular anime series that isn't over 100 episodes and aimed at 12 year olds? I mean about 4 years ago I was just like you guys, I said I hated anime because they always had generic simple storylines and most episodes involved a lot of heavy breathing and "awwwing". I thought anime was only aimed at 14 year olds and you had to be a fucking idiot to watch it.   That is, until I saw Death Note and to say the least I was blown away. There were no steroid junkie guys with blonde spiky hair punching each other for 10 episodes straight, there wasn't any pointless conversation about gaining physical power. Instead what I saw was one of the greatest games of cat and mouse I had ever seen, I saw an anime that made me deeply question my morals. This show depicted a man who tried to create a utopian world by using extremely controversial methods, and it depicted another man who would do everything in his power to stop him. For over 30 episodes I watched these two men play with each others heads like a game of chess, constantly predicting each others moves and acting on each others methods in a decisive manner. I was on the edge of my seat for every twist and turn and by the end of the series all I was saying to myself was....wow.  But then I thought that deep philosophical animes like Death Note were a rarity, of course every other anime is about spiky haired ninjas doing crazy shit with their hand right? right?......Dead wrong, I then stumbled on an anime called Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and again I was blown away. Once again I found myself questioning my morals and wondering if the cold, calculating, damn near genocidal protagonist was really right in what he was doing. Sure his goals were noble but his methods were barbaric. The series followed two galactic nations as they fought each other for complete control, one nation was a "righteous" democracy and the other was a Totalitarian nation that at first glance resembled the Empire from Star Wars. At first I was going to write it off as some good vs evil BS but once again I was surprised. Neither side was depicted as evil in any way, the Totalitarian nation was prospering under a fair but rash leader and the Democracy was actually falling apart because of its rampant corruption. What followed was one of the best political thrillers I had ever seen in my life, I wont spoil the things that happen but damn I was blown away.   I started looking for more animes that didn't fit the stereotype and the ones I watched simply amazed me, Code Geass, Kenshin OVAs, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Phantom requiem, Ghost in the shell, Great Teacher Onizuka, the list just went on and on. And then I finally realized that the anime genre is just as varied as any form of media out today. Sure there's alot of spiky haired teenagers fighting off evil over 200 episodes, but there's also animes that focus on Politics, Philosophy, Serial Killers, Gangs, Warfare, Romance, etc. So when I see people that say they hate anime I just believe they haven't even bothered to try it.  I don't care who you are or what your taste are, I guarantee to anybody out there that they can find at least one anime series that they will simply love. "
I also hate it when people dismiss something just because it's main stream and it's cool to hate the "popular" ones... I've been following Naruto far before it was released in North America, and it was and still is one of the best manga/anime's around. I could go into long detailed posts about why I feel like this, but I'm not in the mood. It just sucks when people hate on the popular thing just to be different. I've seen so many different anime series, some barely known, and some main stream as hell. Giving a chance to both, I found much to like.
#40 Posted by Akeldama (4216 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Akeldama said:
" Anime is for jerks. "
And here we have the laziest poster and biggest sheep in the thread. "
baaaaaah 
#41 Posted by Yummylee (20540 posts) -

Another anime thread??? *monstrous sigh*

#42 Posted by lilman1101 (1056 posts) -
@Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
Then get the fuck off Giantbomb were people actually care about eachother's opinions enough to read.
 
I don't like Anime for the reason mainly that i hate the over-top nature of it.
#43 Posted by Kagamine (100 posts) -
@lilman1101 said:
" @Kagamine said:
" TL;DR "
Then get the fuck off Giantbomb were people actually care about eachother's opinions enough to read.  I don't like Anime for the reason mainly that i hate the over-top nature of it. "
Wtf you talking about paperhead?
#44 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
"I also hate it when people dismiss something just because it's main stream and it's cool to hate the "popular" ones... I've been following Naruto far before it was released in North America, and it was and still is one of the best manga/anime's around. I could go into long detailed posts about why I feel like this, but I'm not in the mood. It just sucks when people hate on the popular thing just to be different. I've seen so many different anime series, some barely known, and some main stream as hell. Giving a chance to both, I found much to like. "
I don't hate Naruto because it's popular, I hated Naruto because I hated the characters. In my opinion Naruto himself was childish and annoying, Sakura was an incompetent stuck up bitch, and Sauske was an emo who looked down on everybody.
#45 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

Ahnime is for jerks

#46 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" Ahnime is for jerks "
Yeah. Damn those ahnime-loving jerks! How dare they question my opinion!
#47 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

I used to think it was alright, but all the weird sexual depravity and perversion has just put me off entirely.
 
("Ahnime"... I thought it was pronounced "an-eem".)

#48 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
" @blacklabeldomm said:
" Ahnime is for jerks "
Yeah. Damn those ahnime-loving jerks! How dare they question my opinion! "
you asked why I hate anime, anime is for jerks. I do not like jerks, I am myself not a jerk, therefore there is no reason for me to like anime
#49 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" @Ace829 said:
" @blacklabeldomm said:
" Ahnime is for jerks "
Yeah. Damn those ahnime-loving jerks! How dare they question my opinion! "
you asked why I hate anime, anime is for jerks. I do not like jerks, I am myself not a jerk, therefore there is no reason for me to like anime "
Stop spelling ahnime wrong! Jeez. If you're gonna hate on something. Spell it right.
#50 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
" @blacklabeldomm said:
" @Ace829 said:
" @blacklabeldomm said:
" Ahnime is for jerks "
Yeah. Damn those ahnime-loving jerks! How dare they question my opinion! "
you asked why I hate anime, anime is for jerks. I do not like jerks, I am myself not a jerk, therefore there is no reason for me to like anime "
Stop spelling ahnime wrong! Jeez. If you're gonna hate on something. Spell it right. "
Ahnime raped my father