#1 Edited by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

I had it done back in 2010.

Yes, they still cut and lift part of the eye... then there is a laser that repairs the shape, then they put the flap back and move to the next eye.

It literally took about 7 minutes per eye, then done.

You leave after, but of course someone must drive for you.

#2 Posted by joshwent (2353 posts) -

@retrometal: Cool! 2 big questions though...

What was the pain like during and after?

Can you now see in the dark like Riddick?

#3 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

There are different types of operations depending on what needs fixing on your eye and what treatment is right for you.

A lot of eye correction can be done with just the laser and no need for physical surgery. Different types of laser treatment procedures too. Some will leave just a mild eye irritation for a couple of days others will have you writhing in agony for a few days and irritated for a fortnight.

#4 Posted by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

@joshwent said:

You don't feel anything while it's going on, or after. I'm not sure your eyes have nerves in them for them to feel pain. That being said, it's hard to see for a couple hours afterwards, which is why you need someone to drive you. Also, you must, must, must keep your eyes moist with the eye drops they give you, like use them every 30 minutes to an hour, because you get MASSIVE, painful, dry-eye if you don't.

As for seeing like Riddick, unfortunately, no.

#5 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I kind of would like to do it, but I watched a video of them cutting and pulling that eye flap back and that shit freaks me out.

#6 Edited by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I kind of would like to do it, but I watched a video of them cutting and pulling that eye flap back and that shit freaks me out.

Trust me, it TOTALLY freaked me out before I had it done, but once I decided to do it, even while it was happening... it was nothing.

#7 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (3050 posts) -

I cannot ever have things near my eyes, in my eyes, or even have people talk about eyes. That's the problem for me, I can NEVER get any surgery done to my eyes without being DEEP under with a dose of whatever makes you muscles not work. Under anaesthesia my eyes would probably MOVE involuntarily because I am that sensitive to touch and light in my eyes.

I have to wait for the nanomachines in 2078 before my eyes ever get fixed.

#8 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1838 posts) -

@mcghee said:

Trust me, it TOTALLY freaked me out before I had it done, but once I decided to do it, even while it was happening... it was nothing.

This puts my mind at ease about doing it, because that really freaks me the fuck out, too. But I still can't really stand to have anything near my eyes. I don't mind wearing glasses that much, but I would love to be able to see without them someday. I'm very near-sighted and wouldn't be able to survive in the world without my glasses.

Let me ask you this...how do they keep your eyes open while they do this, and is it really stressful just to have them open that long, or is it not noticeable or long enough?

I wish I could just get new eyes all together, 'cause Lasik ain't gonna fix the shitload of permanent floaters I have. Give me augmented Deus Ex eyes.

#9 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

My dad had it done a few years ago (late 50's) and he's so glad he did.

He was little freaked out because one of his eyes was blurry and gave him some aches for a week or two afterwards but it healed and it's been roses since.

#10 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

I really wanna have this done. My eyesight is fucking terrible.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@retrometal: What if you sneeze when your eye is cut open?

#12 Posted by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

@retrometal said:

@mcghee said:

This puts my mind at ease about doing it, because that really freaks me the fuck out, too. But I still can't really stand to have anything near my eyes. I don't mind wearing glasses that much, but I would love to be able to see without them someday. I'm very near-sighted and wouldn't be able to survive in the world without my glasses.

Let me ask you this...how do they keep your eyes open while they do this, and is it really stressful just to have them open that long, or is it not noticeable or long enough?

I wish I could just get new eyes all together, 'cause Lasik ain't gonna fix the shitload of permanent floaters I have. Give me augmented Deus Ex eyes.

They put a "thing" in your eyelid to hold your eye open and they put drops on the eye to keep them from drying out.

Also, let me state this to everyone that says they wouldn't do it because of something touching your eye. Believe me, I was the SAME way... I never wore contacts because of this. Also, trust me when I say, I was 110% apprehensive about getting Lasik done because of this fact. But when they called me back, I just thought to myself, do it, and did it.

The end results were amazing.

#13 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@joshwent said:

You don't feel anything while it's going on, or after. I'm not sure your eyes have nerves in them for them to feel pain. That being said, it's hard to see for a couple hours afterwards, which is why you need someone to drive you. Also, you must, must, must keep your eyes moist with the eye drops they give you, like use them every 30 minutes to an hour, because you get MASSIVE, painful, dry-eye if you don't.

I'm pretty sure eyes have pretty sensitive nerves, I've seen it being done on tv and was under the impression that they put anaesthetic drops in the eyes to numb them.

#14 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Be aware that not everyone can or should have lasik. Make sure you have a good eye doctor that knows what he's doing and not just there to cash insurance checks. If you're one of those people who shouldn't have lasik done, don't it could permanently fuck up your eyes.

#15 Posted by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

@duskvamp said:

@retrometal said:

@joshwent said:

I'm pretty sure eyes have pretty sensitive nerves, I've seen it being done on tv and was under the impression that they put anaesthetic drops in the eyes to numb them.

They might have done that, I remember there were drops before the procedure and it's been a few years now.

#16 Posted by Legion_ (1556 posts) -

Yeah right. The secret is out, man. Might as well admit it.

#17 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@joshwent said:

There's eye drops involved? That's it I'm out!

(I'm like Jeff, I don't like contacts because I don't want to touch my eye. I can't even do eye drops.)

#18 Posted by automatontribe (198 posts) -

When I listened to the podcast today and they talked about this my eyes seriously started to water.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

2 seconds on youtube and you can see a dozen plus videos of how it's done. Youtube has a lot of medical surgery videos if you want to fall down that rabbit hole.

#20 Posted by GIyn (202 posts) -

That video is fucked. Looks horrendous!

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12134 posts) -

I was told that if I were to get Lasik there wouldn't be enough material left in my eye to do any more repairs if my vision started going bad again.

#22 Posted by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

I was told that if I were to get Lasik there wouldn't be enough material left in my eye to do any more repairs if my vision started going bad again.

That shouldn't be true.

They even admitted in the doctor's office before I got it done that sometimes people have to get it done more than once.

#23 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

I have like 20/50 vision, and I think astigmatism but I've never been to an eye doctor. I can barely see well enough to pass the eye test when I got my drivers license.

Anyway, I've heard it screws with your nightvision and can cause dry eyes and eyestrain. Is that all true?

#24 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@vuud said:

I have like 20/50 vision, and I think astigmatism but I've never been to an eye doctor. I can barely see well enough to pass the eye test when I got my drivers license.

Anyway, I've heard it screws with your nightvision and can cause dry eyes and eyestrain. Is that all true?

Partially true yes.

Definitely dryness and eyestrain directly after the operation, how long that lasts depends on the type of procedure used (a day to a few weeks). But it's not permanent by any means, altho slight feeling of dryness can persist for quite a long time.

Not sure about the night vision part.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mcghee said:

Not even anything psychosomatic?

#26 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

Whatever man, I saw that part in Dead Space 2. No thank you.

#27 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6011 posts) -

This thread is really freaking me out.

#28 Posted by MEATBALL (3507 posts) -

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. I'll stick with glasses. (Cool thread, though)

#29 Edited by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

@vuud said:

Dry eye is a very common thing. Mine lasted for a few months, but all I had to do was use eye drops a couple times a day. Not products like Visene though as apparently they are not sterol.

The night vision thing you are talking about is called "Haloing" and honestly the amount of Haloing people experience seems directly effected by how good the Lasik software that is used when you have the procedure done. Some doctors have lesser (cheaper) software or some offer different price tiers of Lasik. Never get the cheapest! When I got mine done, the best software on the market was called something like "Wavefront" or something along those lines. It apparently costs the doctor roughly $2500 just to launch it to do your eyes, so if they are using that, they charge a premium, but you also benefit from getting the best results.

ANYWAY, Haloing, the best I can describe it is... say you are driving down the road, and there is an oncoming car... rather than just seeing the headlights shining back at you, you'll see that and another "ring" around those.

I have Haloing, and while, yes, it was noticeable, I don't even notice it now unless I actively look for it. Honestly, the clarity I got from the Lasik was totally worth the Haloing effect I have.

#30 Posted by Rafaelfc (1470 posts) -

Fuck that, i'll just go blind.

#31 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

#32 Edited by djou (878 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@retrometal: Can you now see in the dark like Riddick?

I'm sure you said this as a joke, but a friend of mine got Lasik on her eyes as a graduation present. She didn't need to wear glasses anymore and thought it was great. Its been 10 years and year she started having problems seeing in the dark.

When she's in a dark or dimly lite area all light sources appear blurry and she gets a headache. Her vision is fine in daylight, but anytime she's driving at night she needs to wear her old glasses because her vision is getting progressively worse in the dark. This is totally unscientific and anecdotal but just talking to her, I would never get Lasik myself.

#33 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1399 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

2 seconds on youtube and you can see a dozen plus videos of how it's done. Youtube has a lot of medical surgery videos if you want to fall down that rabbit hole.

That's beautiful how he cuts open the cornea...man I should start practicing on cutting corneae asap. I know it looks absolutely horrific to anyone but even the worst feared damage to your eyelens heals pretty good (unless you go out of your way and puncture it like a madman) and the cornea is just a protective skin.

#34 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

That shouldn't be true.

They even admitted in the doctor's office before I got it done that sometimes people have to get it done more than once.

That is what my mom was told also, but she had really bad eyes and was legally blind without her glasses, which where the size of coke bottles. She got it anyways but i believe it depends on how bad your eyes are and what is wrong, and they may have improved the procedures since she got it when it first came out.