#1 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Time: about 2pm Saturday.

Place: London excel center.

Me: wearing 2013 member shirt.

You: wearing the same

I shouted hey duder! And pointed at my shirt only to have you look at me like I was crazy. Make yourself known to me so I may exact justice.

Signed: Mysterious con attendee who shouts at random people.

#2 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Jadeskye said:

Time: about 2pm Saturday.

Place: London excel center.

Me: wearing 2013 member shirt.

You: wearing the same

I shouted hey duder! And pointed at my shirt only to have you look at me like I was crazy. Make yourself known to me so I may exact justice.

Signed: Mysterious con attendee who shouts at random people.

I wish people would look at me as if I was crazy when I do that, but they usually come over to talk and start out with "So, you're a Giant Bomb Fan?"  
I would rather have them look at me like I was insane instead of asking the dumbest question known to man. 
#3 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Next time I see a guy wearing a shirt I'm just gonna shout Fuck Ryan Davis!

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8456 posts) -

@Jadeskye: That would really suck if someone in the crowd happened to be named Ryan Davis.

Depending on his size and temperament, the suckiness could go either way.

#5 Posted by rflx (577 posts) -

Maybe he was just thinking "why is that crazy lady shouting and pointing at her boob?"

#6 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Gotta be better than shouting china don't care when at a show about Asian culture

#7 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2273 posts) -

Worst missing connections craigslist ever.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@Jadeskye said:

Gotta be better than shouting china don't care when at a show about Asian culture

That's just asking to get shanked.

#9 Posted by J12088 (461 posts) -

Oh...that was you

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

awh. :(

#11 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1670 posts) -

I think we all know who it was. It was your evil twin.

#12 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@Jadeskye said:

that could turn into Giant Bomb's own version of Marco/Polo!

one person shouts "Fuck Ryan Davis" and the other responds "China Don't Care" until they find each other :)

#13 Edited by pyromagnestir (4333 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@Jadeskye: That would really suck if someone in the crowd happened to be named Ryan Davis.

Depending on his size and temperament, the suckiness could go either way.

Personally if I heard someone randomly shout "Fuck my name here" I'd just be mildly confused. Nothing would suck about it. I also take a WWF (I refuse to call it E it was F when I watched it damn it) philosophy to life, it's better to get boos then no reaction at all.

Anyway... This thread needs a theme song:

#14 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Jadeskye said:

Don't be silly. The show about Asian culture would surely have a proper sword handy.

#15 Posted by D_Mac (136 posts) -

I had a similar experience... at the Rock Band Night prior to PAX 2012, which was a bummer as it was my first "GB fan spotting" at PAX East, and it kind of set the tone for the rest of the weekend. Saw the same guy in the line for the panel and he made some crack about me being heavy, which also was a bummer.

Feels better to have shared the story. I'm sure I was being overly sensitive, not every stranger, like-minded or not, wants to stop and chat with you.

The point being: if it were me you shouted at, I would have come over and chatted you up, but that's the kind of person I am.

#16 Posted by AlisterCat (5696 posts) -

I had a similar thing, except instead of looking at me like I was crazy he just looked like a miserable bastard.

#17 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

I've seen one other Duder before and we had the prefect interaction. We were walking in opposite directions down an aisle at a Wal-Mart. We saw the shirts, made eye contact, nodded and both said "Duder" in a super formal "Good Evening!" type tone, then continued on our way. It was perfect.

#18 Posted by D_Mac (136 posts) -

@Peanut: This is, by my estimate, the most ideal social situation ever.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21728 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Jadeskye said:

one person shouts "Fuck Ryan Davis" and the other responds "China Don't Care" until they find each other :)

This needs to happen...

Everyday...

For eternity...

#20 Edited by Harkat (1106 posts) -

I had a guy in the BOMB throwback tee pull this shit with me at Gamescom. I shouted "HEY DUDER GIANT BOMB" and the british duder was like "What...?" and I got up closer (it was loud as fuck in there) and said "That shirt, Giant Bomb right?" and he was like "yeah sure..." and strolled off. Kids these days I tell ya.

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3604 posts) -

I saw a guy at my college (Champlain College in Burlington Vermont) in a 2010 members shirt, and I said, "Nice shirt duder." He looked at me like I was crazy. Come on man, us bombers got to stick together!

#22 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@DeF said:

@Jadeskye said:

This needs to happen...

Everyday...

For eternity...

imagine the reactions from all those people who have no idea what's going on :D

#23 Posted by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

@D_Mac said:

I had a similar experience... at the Rock Band Night prior to PAX 2012, which was a bummer as it was my first "GB fan spotting" at PAX East, and it kind of set the tone for the rest of the weekend. Saw the same guy in the line for the panel and he made some crack about me being heavy, which also was a bummer.

Feels better to have shared the story. I'm sure I was being overly sensitive, not every stranger, like-minded or not, wants to stop and chat with you.

The point being: if it were me you shouted at, I would have come over and chatted you up, but that's the kind of person I am.

Someone wearing a Giantbomb shirt, standing in line to watch dudes talk about video games actually judged you? I'm sorry but if you are doing both of those things you are a nerd.

What kind of world do we live in when us nerds bully each other??

#24 Posted by Bollard (5743 posts) -

Was anyone there from GiantBomb today? I saw no tee's so I didn't have a chance to come say hi.

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

I'm not the kind to talk to people much, but I'd definitely be happy and converse with someone who pointed out my throwback GB shirt, but I'd probably be a little awkward about it as I usually am. Still, it's surprising to hear that so many people just ignore or disregard people who call out others as GB fans.

#26 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Harkat: Weird... I've only had good experiences with my shirts. I had a guy stop and shake my hand like I was his long lost friend when I was wearing my Hardcore Dave shirt.

#27 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

Was anyone there from GiantBomb today? I saw no tee's so I didn't have a chance to come say hi.

i was but as the OP. i didn't bother to wear my shirt after yesterday >_>

#28 Posted by ShaggE (6625 posts) -

I try not to strike convos based on shirts, since most of the time it seems like they have stumbled across their shirt by sheer providence, having no idea that the thing on their shirt is a thing. I can understand a dismissive "I don't want to talk to you, random guy" reaction, but these people seem honestly baffled and oblivious.

Still, when I see a shirt relevant to my fandoms, it's all I can do not to say something. One of these days I'm going to bust out with a steaming-teapot-like squeal and start yelling "SHIRT! SHIRT! YOUR SHIRT! I ACKNOWLEDGE IT'S EXISTENCE AND THE FALSE SENSE OF CAMARADERIE I FEEL UPON RECOGNIZING IT! LET'S BE SHIRT BROTHERS!"

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I try not to strike convos based on shirts, since most of the time it seems like they have stumbled across their shirt by sheer providence, having no idea that the thing on their shirt is a thing.

I wish providence would give me a shirt.
#30 Posted by ShaggE (6625 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

I try not to strike convos based on shirts, since most of the time it seems like they have stumbled across their shirt by sheer providence, having no idea that the thing on their shirt is a thing.

I wish providence would give me a shirt.

"I was shown divine guidance and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

#31 Posted by kpaadet (413 posts) -

@Peanut: That sounds beautiful.

#32 Posted by Skytylz (4035 posts) -

I saw someone with a tested block head t shirt a few weeks ago. I really wanted to say something, but I just went on my way. I suppose if that person is here, let me know!

Where: Avery 15 - CSE Computer Lab

When: Sometime this month

#33 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

I have a relatively large closet full of random 'pop culture' I guess t shirts.

Still when I'm walking through Meijier and someone walks up to me and says "Awesome shirt" and then just leaves before I have a chance to say anything, please don't.

stay

chat with me

I need human interaction!

Instead you'll just hear me sheepishly say 'thanks' in a soft tone as I watch you walk away. Then I openly weep in the store.

#34 Posted by dagas (2899 posts) -

@Jadeskye said:

"a guy wearing a shirt" I'd say that happens pretty much all the time. You'd be taken into an asylum if you shout "Fuck Ryan Davis" that often.

#35 Posted by ripelivejam (4579 posts) -

@Peanut said:

I've seen one other Duder before and we had the prefect interaction. We were walking in opposite directions down an aisle at a Wal-Mart. We saw the shirts, made eye contact, nodded and both said "Duder" in a super formal "Good Evening!" type tone, then continued on our way. It was perfect.

expertly played.

i feel like i'm missing out w/o a GB shirt. i feel like i'm incognito. :(

tbh i don't really wear that many reaction-worthy clothes. the only one that really prompted reactions was my Penny Arcade Jesus Says shirt. 'tis a treasure, though.

#36 Posted by Akyho (1692 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

@Peanut said:

expertly played.

i feel like i'm missing out w/o a GB shirt. i feel like i'm incognito. :(

tbh i don't really wear that many reaction-worthy clothes. the only one that really prompted reactions was my Penny Arcade Jesus Says shirt. 'tis a treasure, though.

That is basicly all I would want as recognition. Id be up for chat but a nice intertaction of "Duder." would be fine.

I have a ......I am wearing that T shirt that says

"Athiesim

A none prophet orginisation"

Its great people comment on it. I bring up its a late george carlin joke. And when people try to peddle their religion on the street to me i show then the shirt shrug and act like. sorry I am ahtiest...cant do anything abou that what a shame.......

I saw a girl in Glasgow witha Dresden Dolls T shirt. which is a bit of a find in Scotland and I am a huge fan of the bad. I wanted to comment however as I was about to my mind did the maths. Goth girl and friend + Geeky chubby me wih hugely overweight extremly geeky short tempered friend both wearing terible plastic jackets = realy realy realy fucking creepy vibe towards them.

Take out my friend and then is just realy fucking creepy vibe.

#37 Posted by ThunderSlash (1906 posts) -

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! I see that my plan of unsuspectingly clothing random people in Giant Bomb shirts has come to fruition.

#38 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (527 posts) -

So there's a CD from the mid-90s that I own that's kind of rare. Last I heard there were only like 2500 legitimate copies of the thing. I've had a guy from Portugal email me asking how the fuck I got that CD. Friend of mine saw somebody with a shirt with the artwork of that CD (I can't even imagine how rare that thing is) and he tried to talk to her about it. She had no fucking idea what he was talking about, she just had the shirt.

People will put anything on their chest that they have no fucking idea about.

#39 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

@ImHungry said:

@Hailinel said:

@Jadeskye said:

Don't be silly. The show about Asian culture would surely have a proper sword handy.

You muppet, everyone knows they'd use karate.

#40 Posted by Geralt (332 posts) -

Wow...most of the real-life situations were perplexing to me.

If that ever happen to me, I'm sure there'll be a sweet embrace...at least from my side.

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -
@JeanLuc said:

He looked at me like I was crazy.

This seems to be the trend in these stories... I've yet to see another Giantbomb shirt in the wild.
#42 Posted by Little_Socrates (5693 posts) -

It's possible you're also crazy.

#43 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I know this sounds insane... Stay with me here, though. After seeing so many threads like this, I have an insane idea. People should try approaching eachother and offering a pleasant hello instead of shouting internet catch phrases and hoping for public recognition. If someone yelled "DUDER" at me, I'd look at you like you were crazy too, just so other people wouldn't look at me like I was crazy.

On the other hand, were I approached calmly and been greeted with a "Hi, you're a fan of Giant Bomb too?", I'd engage in happy and friendly conversation!

NOTE: I am not the duder in question. Never been to London.

#44 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

Spoilers: People at a comic convention might not be very good at talking to people!

#45 Posted by tread311 (357 posts) -

I ran into a guy who recognized my GB shirt at Mitsuwa market in NJ a few months ago. There really isn't much to say to someone besides yep, I go there as well, and then keep moving. I suppose it doesn't help that that place is crowded as hell.

#46 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4698 posts) -

@Rawrnosaurous said:

Still when I'm walking through Meijier and someone walks up to me and says "Awesome shirt" and then just leaves before I have a chance to say anything, please don't.

stay

chat with me

Instead you'll just hear me sheepishly say 'thanks' in a soft tone as I watch you walk away. Then I openly weep in the store.

I read that as if FlutterShy had said it.

#47 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

@Rawrnosaurous said:

stay

chat with me

It's a tough situation to resolve for sure. The best counter from your situation would be to immediately ask a quesiton back "are you aware/fan of X"/