Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By efrucht
This is yet to be  verified by the scientific community
This is yet to be verified by the scientific community

When you put bread in the toaster, and toast it, it becomes toast.

Seems simple enough, eh? 

So tell me, then, at what point in the toasting process does bread no longer exist as bread, but as toast?

Artists rendition of the moment when the world's first un-toasted toast is toasted.
Artists rendition of the moment when the world's first un-toasted toast is toasted.

osmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By osmiles

For me, its when it starts to get burnt in the middle.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By joshrocks2245

When it tastes different from bread, then it's toast :P

mybigpose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mybigpose

no idea.

but you hvnt talked to me in ages.

HipHopHitler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HipHopHitler

When the total amount of normal bread compound particles are less than the total amount of converted maltose particles

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DarkLegend

The point where it gets dark.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brydello

When it's brown and toasty?

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By efrucht
mybigpose said:
"no idea.

"
I read your blogs, although you may not know it ^_^
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#9  Edited By citizenkane

That equation is not full yet.  You have to account for the size of the slice of bread, temperature of toaster, and other variables.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By tekmojo

hmmm, well too toasty and it cuts the roof of  your mouth :(

MrRetep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrRetep

when its crunchy...duh

Agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Agentfred

You just blew my mind.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By unclejohnny79

i think its just toasted bread when it gets a bit hard

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By efrucht
CitizenKane said:
"That equation is not full yet.  You have to account for the size of the slice of bread, temperature of toaster, and other variables."
We don't have.... the technology! :[
HipHopHitler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HipHopHitler
efrucht said:
"CitizenKane said:
"That equation is not full yet.  You have to account for the size of the slice of bread, temperature of toaster, and other variables."
We don't have.... the technology! :[
"
Not yet, efrucht, not yet.......
mybigpose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mybigpose
efrucht said:
"mybigpose said:
"no idea.

"
I read your blogs, although you may not know it ^_^
"
bu..bu...
u never talk to me.. :(
lightninghelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lightninghelix

when the bread comes out of the toaster

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By kenzo287

i think that this is overthinking

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By REforever101

probably when it beings to burn (or brown).

henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By henjin

When its crispy enough to make the sound

The_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Beast
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SSbabel

When it starts to get a crispy texture and a golden brown colour.

buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buyj3llo

As soon as you put it in the toaster it's toast. However, if it's not fully toasted then it's just "unfinished toast".

fr33lanc3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fr33lanc3r

I think this is a good metaphysical question.  It follows the same logic as the paradox "The Heap" where in:

We can say that 1000 grains suitably arranged, make a heap, now if we take 1 grain away from it making it 999 grains, we can still say it is a heap, if we continue to do this, down, 998, 997, 996.... 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2....  they are all still heaps, once we bring it down to 2, and then take one more away we show that 1 grain is still a heap, never changing from its larger state.  But reason shows that there is no way that it can be a heap.

So MAYBE toast is just "cooked bread" that has been cooked to a certain degree, that is said different for each person.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By pirate_republic

It's a simple formula, really. Here are the variables:
g = gravity = 9.81 m/s
t = weight of the toast
f = temperature of the toaster (in celsius)
b = weight of the bread
Ti = initial of putting bread in toaster
Tf = final temperature of toast after it's done
Ep = potential chemical energy the bread has
Ek = kinetic energy the toaster gives during toasting
E = efficiency of the toaster
O = output mechanical energy
I = Input mechanical energy
x = point in time at which bread becomes toast

And here's' the formula, just plug it into your calculator.
x squared = 2(Ep + Ek) + (Ti - Tf) / (gtf) - b x 10 to the power of 3 + 2(O/I) + E

...and square root the answer. There you go. My bread became toast approximately 76.2736 seconds in. Pretty fast if you think about it.

Yes I'm bored right now.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chokobo

Toast Ad.

caption
caption
fr33lanc3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fr33lanc3r
pirate_republic said:
"It's a simple formula, really. Here are the variables:
g = gravity = 9.81 m/s
t = weight of the toast
b = weight of the bread

x squared = 2(Ep + Ek) + (Ti - Tf) / (gtf) - b x 10 to the power of 3 + 2(O/I) + E

...and square root the answer. There you go. My bread became toast approximately 76.2736 seconds in. Pretty fast if you think about it.

Yes I'm bored right now.
"
Impressive, now we just need to lab this entire thing, I think it has possibilities.  The problem is that I'm not sure if you correctly accounted for the Black Hole Theorem of Toasting, There actually a large difference between toast and bread, the toaster is more of a transport device that sends the bread to a quantum parallel dimension where there is only toast, your bread is put in the same time someone in that parallel dimension puts in toast, through a complex worm hole that is then opened by the toaster, the two products switch, giving us our wonderfully delicious toast, and there giving them their softer bread (these people might not have teeth, thusly explaining why they would want to recieve bread instead of toast (easier to chew).
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pirate_republic
fr33lanc3r said:
"pirate_republic said:
g = gravity = 9.81 m/s
t = weight of the toast
b = weight of the bread

"
Impressive, now we just need to lab this entire thing, I think it has possibilities.  The problem is that I'm not sure if you correctly accounted for the Black Hole Theorem of Toasting, There actually a large difference between toast and bread, the toaster is more of a transport device that sends the bread to a quantum parallel dimension where there is only toast, your bread is put in the same time someone in that parallel dimension puts in toast, through a complex worm hole that is then opened by the toaster, the two products switch, giving us our wonderfully delicious toast, and there giving them their softer bread (these people might not have teeth, thusly explaining why they would want to recieve bread instead of toast (easier to chew)."
Of course, how could I have forgotten!

I am however having trouble accounting for the sudden rate of acceleration the toast would receive as it jumps from the parallel dimension into ours, because as there is no gravity in the quantum space continuum, and as all energy is sucked into the black hole. The only possible explanation is that  the user of the toaster is transported, not the bread! This would mean that in the matter dimension, bread exists as bread, and in the anti-matter parallel dimension bread exists as toast. When you turn the toaster on, the quantum hyper-space drive of the toaster kicks on, and your Atoms as encrypted into ACII code (with a non-dictionary word password) and transported through hyperspace until you reacher the end of time and space, and end up where you started, however when you Atoms in decrypted, you are in the anti-matter universe, and the bread you put in the toaster, is now toast.

The only problem is, do you stay in this dimension after you eat your toast? There is no bread, so if you went to get more bread, it would already be toast, perhaps you go back to the original dimension after the toast leaves the toaster? I'll update if I figure out the correct formula.

EDIT: I give up. Perhaps you could assist me on this one?
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Red

Toast is always bread, but when you can see some type of brown (excluding the crust) on it, you have toast.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK

toast is just an abbreviation of toasted bread

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WickedCobra03

The exact moment when the sugars in the bread begin to caramelize.  Being that high fructose corn syrup is the main ingredient in most factory bread(just to make it simpler so I don't have to go into how russian, german, middle eastern and other variations of bread contain).

And since oxidation of fructose happens at around 230 degrees Fahrenheit, that is about the time you will witness toasting occur.

/thread.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By matthew
pirate_republic said:
"fr33lanc3r said:
"pirate_republic said:
g = gravity = 9.81 m/s
t = weight of the toast
b = weight of the bread

"
Impressive, now we just need to lab this entire thing, I think it has possibilities.  The problem is that I'm not sure if you correctly accounted for the Black Hole Theorem of Toasting, There actually a large difference between toast and bread, the toaster is more of a transport device that sends the bread to a quantum parallel dimension where there is only toast, your bread is put in the same time someone in that parallel dimension puts in toast, through a complex worm hole that is then opened by the toaster, the two products switch, giving us our wonderfully delicious toast, and there giving them their softer bread (these people might not have teeth, thusly explaining why they would want to recieve bread instead of toast (easier to chew)."

I am however having trouble accounting for the sudden rate of acceleration the toast would receive as it jumps from the parallel dimension into ours, because as there is no gravity in the quantum space continuum, and as all energy is sucked into the black hole. The only possible explanation is that  the user of the toaster is transported, not the bread! This would mean that in the matter dimension, bread exists as bread, and in the anti-matter parallel dimension bread exists as toast. When you turn the toaster on, the quantum hyper-space drive of the toaster kicks on, and your Atoms as encrypted into ACII code (with a non-dictionary word password) and transported through hyperspace until you reacher the end of time and space, and end up where you started, however when you Atoms in decrypted, you are in the anti-matter universe, and the bread you put in the toaster, is now toast.

The only problem is, do you stay in this dimension after you eat your toast? There is no bread, so if you went to get more bread, it would already be toast, perhaps you go back to the original dimension after the toast leaves the toaster? I'll update if I figure out the correct formula.

EDIT: I give up. Perhaps you could assist me on this one?"
Would there really be a rate of acceleration though?  If it's a parallel dimension, would it not be as simply as stepping across to said dimension?  Much like folding space, of Dune popularity? 
JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By JamesF
unclejohnny79 said:
"i think its just toasted bread when it gets a bit hard
"
Yes.
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SSbabel

When it gets that golden brown color and becomes crunchy.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pirate_republic
Matthew said:
"pirate_republic said:
"fr33lanc3r said:
"pirate_republic said:
g = gravity = 9.81 m/s
t = weight of the toast
b = weight of the bread

"

EDIT: I give up. Perhaps you could assist me on this one?"
Would there really be a rate of acceleration though?  If it's a parallel dimension, would it not be as simply as stepping across to said dimension?  Much like folding space, of Dune popularity? "
But the conversions of energy from dimension to dimension is an extremely complex and inefficient process... the transfer from Ep to Ek is off the charts, and enough to make your head asplode.
Diego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Diego

i think its ok to call it toast when its crunchy

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By jakob187

When you put butter and jelly on it and make it amazing!!!

Seriously, though...toast is just stale bread.  It's the actual burn of them which "toasts" it, thereby making it toast rather than bread.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StaticFalconar

it happens when heat slightly cooks the bread hence toasting it. Same rule applies for poached egg.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zebadee

You are not susposed to know what happens inside the toaster!

It's against the laws of physics!

I feel something very bad is going to happen...