Today, I Learned What "SWATTING" Is

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By FoxxFireArt
No Caption Provided

I've known for a long time that online trolling could be a problem, but I never imagined that things could get to this level of bad. Today, I read an article about a teen who was convicted of what is being called "SWATTING". For those of you who don't know -- which included myself yesterday, this is a disturbing trend where people are back tracing the IP and home addresses of live streamers they have a grudge against and calling in threats to police in hopes of triggering a police raid during a live stream.

I'm not sure which part I find more disturbing about this. That even a single person thought of this idea and followed through with it, or that it's been happening enough to have a colloquial nickname. Sort of akin to that ridiculous trend a few years back where people were putting vodka directly into their eyes to get drunk.

EDITED:

After learning the original article I had read about a 15 yo being convicted for 25 to life for SWATTING was based on a hoax, I've opted to edit my posting. A thanks to those who pointed that out to me. However, that doesn't change that the event is happening to people. This is an incredibly serious issue, and a conviction for calling in a fake threat such as this could very well lead to such an outcome.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The article you're basing your blog on is a fake article on a satirical news site. It's not real. There is no 15 year old being sent to 25 years in prison.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

The article you're referencing was a hoax. Some other sites picked it up as actual news, but it's totally made up.