Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

So I built a gaming PC not too long ago, and have been downloading games like crazy from Steam. In the past two weeks, I have downloaded Tribes: Ascend, Team Fortress 2, and a couple other FPS games, but for some reason I have been too intimidated to play anything with multiplayer since downloading them. It's most likely because I have a lack of confidence in my skill to use the keyboard and mouse to much effect in a FPS context, and I'm fully aware that if I don't actually play using this control scheme I won't get any better at using it. Still, I freeze up every time my pointer hovers over the "play" button on my Steam library list.

The general answer here should be, "man up, dude. You can't get better if you don't play", but I don't know why I have this irrational fear of failing hard on these games. I've always been a console player, and the analog sticks have been my home for years. From what I have experienced so far, I really like the accuracy and control that the mouse and keyboard give me, but it's just such an adjustment. I will most likely get over my hangups soon, but for now I'm still staring dumbly at these games, and waiting for the proper push to get it over with. Oh well.

I would like to play with some of my friends, but they all seem to be too caught up playing LOL or DayZ (which I love, but don't like running around solo since my friends all seem to play at 1 AM) and it doesn't feel the same playing alone. At least on Xbox, I have enough skill to enjoy a few random games without feeling too incompetent. Anyway, that's just my insecurity talking. I'll get over it eventually.

#1 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

So I built a gaming PC not too long ago, and have been downloading games like crazy from Steam. In the past two weeks, I have downloaded Tribes: Ascend, Team Fortress 2, and a couple other FPS games, but for some reason I have been too intimidated to play anything with multiplayer since downloading them. It's most likely because I have a lack of confidence in my skill to use the keyboard and mouse to much effect in a FPS context, and I'm fully aware that if I don't actually play using this control scheme I won't get any better at using it. Still, I freeze up every time my pointer hovers over the "play" button on my Steam library list.

The general answer here should be, "man up, dude. You can't get better if you don't play", but I don't know why I have this irrational fear of failing hard on these games. I've always been a console player, and the analog sticks have been my home for years. From what I have experienced so far, I really like the accuracy and control that the mouse and keyboard give me, but it's just such an adjustment. I will most likely get over my hangups soon, but for now I'm still staring dumbly at these games, and waiting for the proper push to get it over with. Oh well.

I would like to play with some of my friends, but they all seem to be too caught up playing LOL or DayZ (which I love, but don't like running around solo since my friends all seem to play at 1 AM) and it doesn't feel the same playing alone. At least on Xbox, I have enough skill to enjoy a few random games without feeling too incompetent. Anyway, that's just my insecurity talking. I'll get over it eventually.

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1806 posts) -

I am exactly this same way with Persona 4 Arena. I really want to play a fighting game online finally but I'm too terrified to start. Just need to convince myself to jump in and bear the rough ass-kicking I'm going to get.

At least you have the FPS familiarization to help you along. Getting used to the controls should be fairly simple, with a bit of time.

#3 Posted by Ben_H (3411 posts) -

Just get used to the idea you're gonna lose. A LOT. Things will go smoothly that way.

Also, just like consoles, the extreme majority of players of any game on PC are complete garbage, especially in free-to-play games like LoL and whatnot.

#4 Edited by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

Start with TF2, play Medic or something for awhile until you get the hang of the controls, and go forward from there. The community isn't very dickish in my experience, so there's not much worry of getting berated.

#5 Posted by hawkinson76 (376 posts) -

Or don't do multiplayer at all? It doesn't sound like you are having fun. I was always bad at competitive multiplayer, but from quake through counter strike I kept trying, because I was still having fun. And then one day it wasn't fun anymore, and I just stopped, and I've never been interested in it again.

#6 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@ShaggE

Start with TF2, play Medic or something for awhile until you get the hang of the controls, and go forward from there. The community isn't very dickish in my experience, so there's not much worry of getting berated.

This is great advice.

Also, play some single player FPSes and TPSes to get more used to the controls.

You might laugh, but my recent successful return to CS via CS:GO has been made substantially easier due to all my recent headshot practice from Orcs Must Die.
#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2040 posts) -

I actually still feel that way from time to time, and I've been all on top of PC multiplayer for years. For some games I'd barely even consider multiplayer unless I'm among friends. There are definitely those games where the multiplayer experience can get really stressful if you approach it the wrong way. Just don't think too much of doing well and actually enjoy yourself finding your way -- that's the best way to get into any multiplayer experience on or off the PC... that is, unless your're playing League of Legends. I'm avoiding it like the plague due to what I've heard about how overzealous certain players are about playing "right." That's definitely not representative of PC gaming as a whole, though!

#8 Posted by rynbeed (143 posts) -

With TF2, jump into some boot camp Mann Vs Machine. We are all still getting the hang of it. And never be afraid to ask for help, if you get bitched at for being a newbie there are dozens of other servers to play on.

As said, you gonna die - a lot. Good thing is its only a short while till you back on the field, with the added bonus of knowing what got you killed last time.

If your really into the games you'll find one you like. If not, move on and play the stuff you already enjoy. Just because you have a gaming PC doesn't mean you have to play multiplayer FPS's. It's your gaming time, what you enjoy.

#9 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Dude if you wanna play it play it. Most people are complete garbage and if you are playing LOL and some dude is being a dick tell em to fuck off.

#10 Posted by Devil240Z (3406 posts) -

This is why I'm getting CS:GO on PS3.

#11 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

It's a new control scheme and you're rolling with an audience that's generally well-versed with those games that have been out long enough for a lot of people to get super good. Try to find some people at your skill level. Use these forums! I'll be getting home in like 2 weeks to my new PC, so I'll definitely be in a lot of these games. And I suck ass!

#12 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

THEN develop your skills as an adaptive medic and kill all of the things while saving everyone.

#13 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

only way to build confidence is to jump right in the water. How else are you going to practice.

#14 Posted by liquidfox00 (30 posts) -

You're not alone OP. I bought a gaming laptop last year and i've only played online with it once. I attribute this to being just awful with the K/M controls which I find weird because as a young kid/teen I played PC games all the time online, Quake, Unreal III, Doom 2 and even some Counter Strike. Nowadays my hands just get completely cramped up on both hands.

Some good advice on ways to jump back into the online PC world in this thread though. One game I know I have no business playing right now is counterstrike unless my whole gameplan is to sit in a corner and wait for someone to walk by which I have no desire to do.

#15 Posted by rflx (577 posts) -

Grow a pair, just get in there.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I started something called The GiantBomb PC Gaming Hub months ago that very good people are running today, you should totally visit the Hub chatroom/voice server and join other GB members in playing multiplayer games, it makes it much more fun and takes the pressure off.

#17 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Yep, TF2 is where it's at. Nothing to be intimidated by there. Counter Strike however... yeah, leave them boys alone. Not very a welcoming bunch.

#18 Posted by geirr (2680 posts) -

What would Yoda do?