Too much Dan. Not that I don't like the guy.

• 119 results
Troglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Troglet

I'm not sure if this is entirely Off-Topic but whatever, basically most of the quicklooks and whatnot have Dan in them, be it with brad, jeff or drew and I'm sure there are reasons for it however I feel filled to the brim with dan. Not that I don't like the guy, I think he's quite funny and has interesting points to make, I just miss the other combinations of dudes you'd see previously. Again, I'm sure there are reasons they end up on the quicklooks they end up on and I'm not saying I think Dans presence lowers the quality of the content in any way whatsoever it's just something I'd noticed and thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed too.

EDIT~ So, after reading through all of this, more specifically @villainy's comment I've realised that I do love Dan more than I thought I did. And although I did know there was probably reasons behind it I totally forgot about this month being busy for games, Jeffs duties as big boss man and GOTY prep. Makes total sense. Finally, without a doubt, Mario Party party is the best thing I've ever seen this site do. I love it so much.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No such thing. The more Dan, the better.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Dans the best thing that has happened to this site in a long time. It wasn't too long ago every single one of them were so down and cynical about everything. Dan has brought fun back to Giant Bomb.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

To put it in a rhyme:

I disagree with the OP.

(Yeah you know me!)

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sravankb

I kinda agree, just a little bit. More variety will definitely be appreciated. Jeff and Drew, for example, is kinda rare.

However, considering how fresh Dan still feels, I don't mind the guy on more quick looks. In fact, I love having him around. He's a lot less cynical than the others (sort of like Drew), and that's feels refreshing even though he has been here for more than a few months already.

And to be a bit off-topic, will there be a quick look for Never Alone? I want to see more about that game. Looks pretty damn interesting based on what I've seen so far.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landon: Totally agree. 100%. A saturation of Dan is what happens when he's the person most enthused about creating content. I just hope he isn't brought down by the other guys.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He basically fits the "vinny" mould, they were probably looking for a vinny esque personality to fill the void and dan fits it snugly in my opinion.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Trog, I'm with ya. I like Dan and enjoy his company, but man... he IS in 90% of all Quick-Looks, Bombcasts, UPFs, and pretty much anything that isn't one of Patrick's editorials.

It's not that I don't like him, but I do miss the other combinations of guys more often.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with Dan, but more of a mix in general would be nice.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah it would be cool to see more of a mix, but Dans entertaining. He's not one for sharp wit or a heaping helping of jokes but he's enthusiastic and he laughs a lot. He's fun to watch.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bocam

I think we need to double down on Dan

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's enthusiasm for everything and anything makes my day a lot better.

Troglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some good points made, I only really started this thing because I can't play any games right now til I figure out what's wrong with my PC and have nothing else to do :( I agree he is more enthusiastic and fits the vinny shaped void in the SF office quite well, man I should spend more time on these forums, haven't had an even slightly civilized discussion on the internet in far to long. If this minor chitchat is any indication this place is pretty neat.

mageemagoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MORE DAN

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need more Jason and Drew on the site. :o

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP = MAD WRONG

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only think keeping me a subscriber at this point is the promise of more GBEast in the future.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Fallen189

It's not that there's too much Dan, it's just that there's hardly any of the other people. Jeff is rarely in QL's these days, Drew is only usually in MGS and a scant few, and Brad is just a filler for someone to go with Dan.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Monkeyman04

It's been a long time, but this sounds just like what happened when Patrick first joined. People complaining that he was in too much stuff. With that said, I'm enjoying everything that Dan has been in. Him and Drew make a killer combo.

ganjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troglet said:

I'm not sure if this is entirely Off-Topic but whatever, basically most of the quicklooks and whatnot have Dan in them, be it with brad, jeff or drew and I'm sure there are reasons for it however I feel filled to the brim with dan.

I envy you

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rather than an overflow of Dan, it's more of a dearth of Jeff and Brad (and Vinny and Alex). But don't worry about it, Jeff and Brad are both busy worrying about their reviews since it's mid-Novemeber. We'll probably see a lot more variety in January or February once things settle down.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff and Rorie are in meetings all the time. Brad is sleepy all the time. So that leaves Dan and Drew, except Drew has to be doing video stuff some of the time.

dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Dapper Dan Man

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a long time, but this sounds just like what happened when Patrick first joined. People complaining that he was in too much stuff. With that said, I'm enjoying everything that Dan has been in. Him and Drew make a killer combo.

My thoughts exactly. I was actually waiting for this exact topic to pop up. I just got 200 points in a treasure hunt. Thanks OP!

G3ese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By G3ese

I disagree, the more Dan the better. That guy is the best thing to happen to Giant Bomb.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:
@monkeyman04 said:

My thoughts exactly. I was actually waiting for this exact topic to pop up. I just got 200 points in a treasure hunt. Thanks OP!

Yup same topic and same whenever anything happens. There was even a topic once going "Why does Brad have to be in everything." someone ends up whining about some staffer eventually.....except Vinny.....everybody wants moe Vinny.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I figure he's an easy second chair since he probably doesn't have as many high-end duties as Jeff/Brad have, so he's more readily available to sit in on a quick look. If Dan wasn't around you'd probably just see lessquick-looks -- I'll reference our content droughts from the last year, pre-Dan.

Anyway, more variety is good, but I'm not about to complain. He makes everything gold anyway.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't be bothered to do this right now, but I'm sure if you go through the QLs and such of the last few weeks you'll find that there's not that much more Dan than some of the others. It's usually like that when people complain that there's too much of person X in videos.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not really.

I enjoy QL when the people involved are not of the same mind. I like Dan because he seems to contrast with pretty much everyone else in the crew (specially Drew), and he is genuinely enthusiastic about things, filling the Vinny-shaped hole in our hearts...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compared to everybody else there seriously is too much Dan, even though he makes things golden and great and I enjoy it all. I just think that we'd all like to know what the others are up to while Dan works like somebody getting 36 hours out of a 24 hour day.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sentiment is we're having just about the right amount of Dan. Once GBEast gets truly situated we'll get our Vinny love affair back on and this time of the year is pretty busy for reviews and planning for GOTY. Once January gets here everything will even out, though I will say we need a LOT more Jason.

I will say I pray to god we get four man Quick Looks with Jeff/Dan vs Vinny/Alex in EVERY SINGLE four man game the supports it online. Maybe a second WWF 2015 QL where they test "online" in a Royal Rumble... >.>;;;; Sports quicklooks would somehow get EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is creating loads of content that is exclusive to him like Demo Derby and Metal Gear Scanlon, so he has a higher presence on the site right now.

He also led other stuff like Mario Party Party

He's in a lot of QLs but so is Brad right now. It's a busy time, there's probably a tonne going on.

I could always use more of Jeff.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's in most of the Quicklooks? Geez, how obnoxious - it's almost like he's doing his job or something.

;-)

miserygoats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thoroughly agree. His blinding optimism and naivete are certainly a net positive, but it really wears me down in large doses. I wouldn't say I'm as frustrated as The_Ruiner, but I really am looking forward to GBeast developments, since Vinny and Alex are right there with Jeff as my favorites. I got really excited when Alex mentioned a him/Vinny podcast on Monday's AM show.

Basically, Dan's energy wears me out, but I'm very happy he's around.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Too much Dan? Too much Dan?

This thread fuckin' sucks.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a huge fan of Dan but he's a likable guy and can be funny sometimes, I don't avoid content with him or anything and MGScanlon is a great series, however, I do find myself being disappointed from time to time when I'm hoping for Jeff and Brad to do a certain QL and it ends up being D/J or D/B...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're really scraping the barrel now with our complaints.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By splodge

@baillie said:

We're really scraping the barrel now with our complaints.

It's more boiling the spoon that was used to scrape the barrel in water, then distilling the remaining whine out of the solution.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we should just clone Dan. Double Dan quick looks, four Dan Mario Party and 5 Dan Unprofessional Fridays. Also introducing the Dan, Dan and Dan podcast where Dan tells us all about the wacky things he gets up to during the week, and his latest food creations! More Dan! Dan's great.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His enthusiasm is what's made me watch more content from this site then I have since Vinny moved back east. The new stuff he's championed or been a part of has been fantastic. I need more Dan.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't noticed. If anything, 70% of the editorials are done by Patrick. Too much Patrick.

Ha!

Vinny filled a similar role when he was at GB prime. They both mesh well with others and as such make them a fairly obvious pick for most quick looks. Jeff probably spends more time than you'd think in CBS meetings as the 'head' of GB, while Drew and Jason have video projects they need to work on. That normally leaves Brad and Dan to shoulder the weight on quicklooks. In all honesty I'm fine with Dan being in the majority of content, mind you I felt the same way with Vinny.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I dunno, Dan/Drew is kind of my favorite combo right now.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By big_jon

Word.

I miss Ryan.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troglet said:

I'm sure there are reasons for it however I feel filled to the brim with dan.

Uhuh.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real tragedy is Rorie only being in like 1-2 Quick Looks a month. I appreciate him being on UPF, but seeing him read off chat and occasionally put his foot in his mouth is only one facet of Rorie. Rorie-led QLs are usually pretty solid.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's doing what he was specifically hired to do, bolster the creation of the regular content and develop new shows. I would agree that I prefer a more even spread of personalities (which is what makes Mario Party Party so successful), but you can't fault the man for doing his job, and doing it well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

too much video games. more llamas.