Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Remixed Video

NHL 09 Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• Be A Pro: This is a dream come true for any hockey fan out there.  Create yourself in the game, join your favorite team and play alongside the best in the league.
  • Defensive Skill Stick: Makes defending a whole lot easier and adds a new dimension to the game.
  • EA Sports Hockey League: Take your created self online and play with 5 other people in your own created team.  Another dream come true.
  • Excellent in-game commentary: Gary Thorne & Bill Clement are back and better than ever.
  • Superior player animations: The players, for the most part, look like their real-life counterparts.
  • Montreal Canadiens Centennial Team: It's awesome that EA actually created a team of the Habs' greatest.  Kudos to them.

What I disliked about the game

• Some bugs remain: There are still some pucks getting stuck behind the net and some ridiculous goals being scored.
  • Poor soundtrack: Although better than last year's edition, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

The Lowdown

I might be the only person on this website who has NHL 09 as one of his favorite games this year.  On the surface, it might not seem like an obvious choice, but if you're a fervent hockey fan like I am, NHL 09 was a Godsend.  Although pretty much anybody could get into this game, I think EA aimed for the hardcore fans of the sport with this one.  The Be A Pro mode in NHL 09 is the best thing that could've happened to the franchise.  Creating myself in the game and playing with the Habs' farm team for a while was great, but when I finally got the call to join the Canadiens, the sensation was exhilarating.  Jumping on the ice while the announcer goes "Ladies and gentlemen, your Montreal Canadiens!" sent shivers down my spine.  For someone like me who never got the chance to play hockey because of my illness, and who loves the sport and his team so much, video game moments like these are simply memorable.  Another strong moment was when I scored my first goal with the Habs and heard Gary Thorne say "What a great goal by Poirier".  I froze for a moment and thought "Did he actually say my name?".  Indeed he had.  With that said, when you add superb controls, the EASHL and many other nice touches to the mix, NHL 09 is a magnificent game and the very best in the series so far, bar none.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
5. Rock Band 2
4. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
2. NHL 09

Tomorrow

• My number one favorite game of 2008 in video form.
  • My most disappointing game of 2008.
  • My favorite movie of 2008.
  • My favorite album of 2008.
DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DBoy

Remixed Video

NHL 09 Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• Be A Pro: This is a dream come true for any hockey fan out there.  Create yourself in the game, join your favorite team and play alongside the best in the league.
  • Defensive Skill Stick: Makes defending a whole lot easier and adds a new dimension to the game.
  • EA Sports Hockey League: Take your created self online and play with 5 other people in your own created team.  Another dream come true.
  • Excellent in-game commentary: Gary Thorne & Bill Clement are back and better than ever.
  • Superior player animations: The players, for the most part, look like their real-life counterparts.
  • Montreal Canadiens Centennial Team: It's awesome that EA actually created a team of the Habs' greatest.  Kudos to them.

What I disliked about the game

• Some bugs remain: There are still some pucks getting stuck behind the net and some ridiculous goals being scored.
  • Poor soundtrack: Although better than last year's edition, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

The Lowdown

I might be the only person on this website who has NHL 09 as one of his favorite games this year.  On the surface, it might not seem like an obvious choice, but if you're a fervent hockey fan like I am, NHL 09 was a Godsend.  Although pretty much anybody could get into this game, I think EA aimed for the hardcore fans of the sport with this one.  The Be A Pro mode in NHL 09 is the best thing that could've happened to the franchise.  Creating myself in the game and playing with the Habs' farm team for a while was great, but when I finally got the call to join the Canadiens, the sensation was exhilarating.  Jumping on the ice while the announcer goes "Ladies and gentlemen, your Montreal Canadiens!" sent shivers down my spine.  For someone like me who never got the chance to play hockey because of my illness, and who loves the sport and his team so much, video game moments like these are simply memorable.  Another strong moment was when I scored my first goal with the Habs and heard Gary Thorne say "What a great goal by Poirier".  I froze for a moment and thought "Did he actually say my name?".  Indeed he had.  With that said, when you add superb controls, the EASHL and many other nice touches to the mix, NHL 09 is a magnificent game and the very best in the series so far, bar none.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
5. Rock Band 2
4. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
2. NHL 09

Tomorrow

• My number one favorite game of 2008 in video form.
  • My most disappointing game of 2008.
  • My favorite movie of 2008.
  • My favorite album of 2008.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

OMG CONTROVERSY

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By AthleticShark

NHL 09 is the shit. I just won my Cup with the SJ Sharks on Be a Pro. Some goals are cheap and the soundtrack is old that is why I made my own custom soundtrack through the game...

The commentators are alright, but nothing will beat Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great choice. I've heard a lot of great stuff about this game.

#1 is Saints Row2. I know it...

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DBoy

True Blue: Saints Row 2 was #6...

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Alex_V

Good shout on this game - it's the first hockey game I've been compelled to go out and buy this decade (and it wasn't that easy to find in the UK : ) ).

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Stealthoneill

Truly excellent game, top 5 for sure. Just the distance the game come in the 1 year was immense. No other sports franchise has managed that for a long time. I played Be A Pro constantly when I first it up, so far I have 2 on the go one as a winger and the other as a goalie which is fun and challenging enough to keep me interested!

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ZeroCast

And the Oscar goes to:

If you don't know what's Denis GotY then YOU FAIL!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Wow, I gotta say man your top 10 has kept me guessing all this time, very different from what I expected. I have no idea what your number 1 will be unless you've been secretly playing MGS4 all of this time and have decided to surprise us all (I'll feel like a dick if I spoiled something...).

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I should definitely rent this game. I'm not a total diehard sports fan in general, but I'm familiar enough with each of them and like to play a game from each sport every few years. I've heard nothing but awesome things about this game, so I think it'd be in my best interest to try it.

temperedvortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By temperedvortex

if there is 1 sports game i haven't played but should have, it would NHL 09. Great list man and I'm pretty sure I know who your GOTY is!

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Lies

Man, I haven't played an NHL game since NHL 2001 on the PC. Still doesn't look like they've managed to nail the animation.

Man, that reminds me: I should really dig out NHL 2001. That game was fun as hell.

stevieq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stevieq

It's on my list, not as high as yours though.

Great game.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Dude, does the game say the names of the players you create, or is it just because an actual player has the same last name as your created player?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By gearhead

Do I really even need to say what Fallout 3 is?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By dsplayer1010
Arkthemaniac said:
"OMG CONTROVERSY"
Haha
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dboy-

.... *shoots self*

But really, I am such an idiot. Sorry, brother.

Avatar image for deactivated-a5c97f
deactivated-a5c97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I guess you really liked Fallout 3

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DBoy

Quadrifoglio: There are no players in the NHL called Poirier, but there probably is one in Europe (there are European teams in the game).  it's a pretty advanced hockey game, but I'm sure it's not THAT advanced so it can actually nail the way I say my last name (which it does).

To those who think Fallout 3 is first: Just wait until tomorrow... then you'll see.  :)

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

fun stuff. my guess is that #1 is going be a tie between Fallout 3 and one other game.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21  Edited By JamesF
ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Ice Hockey is so far out of my interest zone I can neither criticise or praise this choice.  Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By darro

No 1 is going to be Dash for Destruction, I can feel it.  Guess you really liked the actual game that is No 1. 

MrBojangles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By MrBojangles

I gotta try NHL 09