Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Remixed Trailer

Gears of War 2 Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• The story: Bigger, longer, deeper and sometimes emotional.
  • Epic in every way: You actually feel like you're a part of the COG now as they fight the Locust Horde, instead of an Army of Two (pun intended).
  • Gameplay is still solid: You don't mess with success.
  • Great original soundtrack: Very underrated.  One of the best this year.

What I disliked about the game

• Some Acts were downright ridiculous: Slicing up arteries?  Four hearts?  Waste of an Act if you ask me.
  • Final boss battle was a joke: Made me miss good ol' Raam.
  • The walls are still sticky: Thought they would've fixed that problem from the first game.  Still tremendously frustrating.
  • Uneven weapons in online play: Underpowered shotgun and overpowered chainsaw on the Lancer.

The Lowdown

Shocked?  Appalled?  Yeah, I thought you would be.  I'll admit that Gears 2 had a much better story than it's predecessor, albeit some strange and downright ridiculous parts thrown into the mix.  I never thought I'd be playing a lite version of Trauma Center within a Gears of War game.  However, Gears 2's epic presentation was something to behold.  This time around, I actually felt like I was a part of something big, fighting alongside other COG soldiers for the preservation of Humanity.  Act 2 comes to mind immediately when I think about this full-scale war against the Locust Horde.  However, I'm rather disappointed with the online in this game, not only because of the uneven weapons, but also because it didn't suck me in as much as the first game did.  In my opinion, there were much better online games released this year.  Now, don't get me wrong, even though Gears of War 2 is #8 on the Top 10, it still was a very good and enjoyable game.  Don't blame me for it's positioning, blame 2008 for being so awesome.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DBoy

Remixed Trailer

Gears of War 2 Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• The story: Bigger, longer, deeper and sometimes emotional.
  • Epic in every way: You actually feel like you're a part of the COG now as they fight the Locust Horde, instead of an Army of Two (pun intended).
  • Gameplay is still solid: You don't mess with success.
  • Great original soundtrack: Very underrated.  One of the best this year.

• Some Acts were downright ridiculous: Slicing up arteries?  Four hearts?  Waste of an Act if you ask me.
  • The walls are still sticky: Thought they would've fixed that problem from the first game.  Still tremendously frustrating.
  • Uneven weapons in online play: Underpowered shotgun and overpowered chainsaw on the Lancer.

The Lowdown

Shocked?  Appalled?  Yeah, I thought you would be.  I'll admit that Gears 2 had a much better story than it's predecessor, albeit some strange and downright ridiculous parts thrown into the mix.  I never thought I'd be playing a lite version of Trauma Center within a Gears of War game.  However, Gears 2's epic presentation was something to behold.  This time around, I actually felt like I was a part of something big, fighting alongside other COG soldiers for the preservation of Humanity.  Act 2 comes to mind immediately when I think about this full-scale war against the Locust Horde.  However, I'm rather disappointed with the online in this game, not only because of the uneven weapons, but also because it didn't suck me in as much as the first game did.  In my opinion, there were much better online games released this year.  Now, don't get me wrong, even though Gears of War 2 is #8 on the Top 10, it still was a very good and enjoyable game.  Don't blame me for it's positioning, blame 2008 for being so awesome.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By gearhead

Understandable.

Torb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Torb

Hmmm, I actually found that act to be incredibly entertaining O.o
I see your reasoning for the position though.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

I liked the worm act too, but I see where you are coming from. It did get monotonous after awhile. I loved Gears 2, though it definitely is not my #1 GOTY. Probably like #4 or 5 for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I thought the shotgun was over powered. The range for the weapon is humongous. You could get blown into pieces at medium range.

The chainsaw is, well, a chainsaw. In multiplayer for GeoW1, the weapon was useless since you would get knocked back from one shotgun blast; making the shotgun the only useful infantry weapon. I thought the lack of chainsaw-knockoffs were a good move.

But I do agree. It defiantly doesn't deserve GotY.

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By keoskey

is giant bomb going to have its very own GOTY award show

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

reasonable criticisms. :)

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, but I thought the heart act was kinda cool.....

Ranked matches really aren't even much fun anymore since everyone uses the chainsaw and or melee.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By darro

Toxicity worked well for that trailer I have to say.  The chainsaw bayonet in this game is ridiculous in that nothing seems to stop it.  You shoot someone and they still come at you and also sometimes it doesn't work even when you are right up at someone.  I really enjoyed the campaign this time round even though the last 10 minutes was ridiculously easy and the last boss was a joke indeed (come back RAAM, all is forgiven).

Gen_Warbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gen_Warbuff

You know, I feel you put this game right exactly where it needed to be. I agree with you 100%!... except for the part of it being "Epic". I just never got that feeing from this game.

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Video_Tycoon
DBoy said:
1.  The heart act was my fav.  It was a little different than the old run here, shoot this guy, take cover, shoot, cover, shoot, etc.  >_>
2. Raam was too ugly to be on my HD screen again. nuff said.
3.  What do you mean?
4.  Don't be a shotgun whore.  And of course the chainsaw is going to be powerful, what are you supposed to chainsaw a dude twice to kill him???

Also, your 30 second intro is blinding and annoying. >_< 
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Man, when are you going to put up a game I have actually played? :P

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Hmmmm, considering this is eighth, I'll be even more interested too see what lies ahead.  I'm getting the gam at chrsitmas, so I've still to formulate an opinion on the game.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce

I didn't get a chance to play it. I did hear it was quite good though.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By MsCortana

I really didn't like that act either.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By lordofultima

That's probably my favorite act in the game. It's so amazing.