• 125 results
Loyal_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Loyal_Dragoon

It was really hard narrowing down all the albums I've listened to, but I managed to knock it down to 5. These are in no particular order.

1. U2 - Achtung Baby

2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

3. The Killers - Hot Fuss

4. Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

5. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By thisguyrich

1) Everything Goes Numb - Streetlight Manifesto

2) In Rainbows - Radiohead

3) The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse

4) Im Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes

5) Kid A - Radiohead

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By shaunk

@benspyda said:

@jakob187: What you're saying is true. I'm 22 so most of the music I listen to ranges from the 1995 - 2012 like you said. There is a lot of older artists I really like too (Beatles, David Bowie, Black Sabbath) but I think my taste in music was shaped by that time frame. It's the same as older generations saying modern music isn't as good because their musical taste was shaped in a different era. For example no matter how many times I've tried I can't enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin (Sorry guys).

That's what I find odd because I am younger than you but cannot stand most music post 90's. Even a lot of 90's era stuff is pretty hard for me to listen too. I really only enjoy the classics. I shaped my own musical tastes so I wouldn't argue its just an era thing.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By DAFTPUNK

@Bruce: @MariachiMacabre: @sasnipes: Daft Punk Lovers!

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#105  Edited By gla55jAw

@laserbolts said:

Glassjaw - Everything you ever wanted to know about silence

Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

Saves the Day - In Reverie

Saves the Day - Daybreak

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

I have to mention Ænima as well because it is pretty amazing.

Very Nice list! 5 is hard though. E.Y.E.W.T.K.A.S. was my first Glassjaw album and I love it, but I don't listen to it as much anymore, it's very....angry.

1) Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

2) Boys Night Out - Trainwreck

3) The Movielife - Has a Gambling Problem

4) Hopesfall - The Satellite Years

5) The Sleeping - Believe What We Tell You

I may have swapped "Northstar - Pollyanna" with The Sleeping, but I only got into them last year.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@DAFTPUNK said:

Since Homework. Makes me feel old when I mention them and kids listening to deadmau5 or Skrillex don't know who they are.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By DAFTPUNK

Home Work - Daft Punk (basically created or refined the house genre)

Daft Punk- Discovery: The best dance album EVER

Movin melodies- ATB ( One of the best debut albums ever IMO for trace)

Hott Fuss - The Killers

U2- Achtung baby

I have loads more so these are not my top 5, if I were to pick favorite album of all time it would be Movin melodies or Homework( and probably Discovery) because man... The 90s were fucking awesome!

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DAFTPUNK

@MariachiMacabre: I know how you feel, daftpunk are true legends for their music, and I don't get it whenever I ask someone do you know daftpunk? they will be like no, well do you know One more time or HBFS? ya man i fucking love that song! that's daftpunk... ohhh

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@DAFTPUNK said:

@MariachiMacabre: I know how you feel, daftpunk are true legends for their music, and I don't get it whenever I ask someone do you know daftpunk? they will be like no, well do you know One more time or HBFS? ya man i fucking love that song! that's daftpunk... ohhh

They're no longer associated with HBFS. That's Kanye's song now.

cubslover22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By cubslover22

Tough to narrow it to just five, but I'd have to say:

1) The Strokes - Is This It

2) U2 - Achtung Baby

3) Radiohead - Ok Computer

4) Nas - Illmatic

5) Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

Honorable Mention:

The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town/Born To Run

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Eric Church - Sinners Like Me

Justice - Cross

Any Beatles Album is up there

Rush - 2112

Metallica - Master of Puppets

These are the albums I always can come back to regardless of what genre I'm into at the time. I can't even count how many times I've listened to Is This It. Like I said, though, it's almost impossible to just pick a handful of albums.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#111  Edited By jakob187

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@benspyda said:

@jakob187: What you're saying is true. I'm 22 so most of the music I listen to ranges from the 1995 - 2012 like you said. There is a lot of older artists I really like too (Beatles, David Bowie, Black Sabbath) but I think my taste in music was shaped by that time frame. It's the same as older generations saying modern music isn't as good because their musical taste was shaped in a different era. For example no matter how many times I've tried I can't enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin (Sorry guys).

That's what I find odd because I am younger than you but cannot stand most music post 90's. Even a lot of 90's era stuff is pretty hard for me to listen too. I really only enjoy the classics. I shaped my own musical tastes so I wouldn't argue its just an era thing.

I think a lot of it, for me at least, has to do with the fact that my family grew up at the right time of influence through multiple different music movements, giving me a very wide range of musical influence and appreciation. My grandparents introduced me to Hank, Conway, Merle, Carters, Cash, etc. My parents and uncles introduced me to "classic" rock, protest music, and Summer of Love era stuff. Growing up during the MTV era, I was introduced to everything from New Wave to grunge to alternative to nu metal to just plain ol' metal to rap to pop. Being from Texas helps a ton also, as we're an incredibly diverse state when it comes to our music because of how many different cultures live here.

I can listen to Pantera one minute, then flip on Justin Timberlake without blinking an eye, then move over to Van Morrison and Canned Heat and Blackfoot and hell knows what else without thinking about it.

I'm a child of music, even modern stuff. There has been some fantastic stuff released in the last ten years, but I can understand how some wouldn't really get into it necessarily.

Also, I want to point out that my #6 album would be Depswa's Two Angels and a Dream. That album is SEVERELY underrated.

@MariachiMacabre said:

@DAFTPUNK said:

Since Homework. Makes me feel old when I mention them and kids listening to deadmau5 or Skrillex don't know who they are.

Anyone who doesn't know Daft Punk, Chem Bros, Crystal Method, or Atari Teenage Riot should DIAF.

WileyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#112  Edited By WileyS

1. Metallica- Master of Puppets

2. The Ramones- The Ramones

3. Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine

4. Slayer- Seasons in the Abyss

5. Rancid- ...And Out Come the Wolves

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

the Blue Album

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By jakob187

@SirPsychoSexy said:

the Blue Album

You obviously meant Black & Blue by The Backstreet Boys, right?

I mean...since you were so specific. -_-

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Mordukai said:

Not a single mention for Dark Side of the Moon. All of you should be throughly ashamed of yourselves.

That album transcends my list. Most of Pink Floyd's and Led Zeppelin's albums do.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#116  Edited By benspyda

I can't say I listen to a lot of house or techno music but like a lot of people have mentioned, Discovery by Daft Punk is an amazing album.

Also as my mother is English and I was in England at the time this album was released, I think that 'Quench' by 'The Beautiful South' is a really great album that more people should know of.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#117  Edited By kalmis

No enough Rush!

1. Rush - Moving Pictures
  2. W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol
  3. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  4. Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
  5. Opeth - Still Life
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#118  Edited By GunstarRed

Disintegration, Screaming For Vengeance, Homogenic, O.K Computer, The Fragile... probably. A lot of memories and things are tied to them. The Fragile is lyrically weak as shit but I find those five to be the most consistent I have listened to over the years.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#119  Edited By Draugen
  1. Goosefair - China Drum (1996) The seminal album of my youth. I discovered them as a total accident when a music show on TV (remember those?) aired one of their music videos as a companion to their credits, and my interest was piqued. I had to dig deep in the weirdest, creepiest alternative music shops to find the CD, and the result was mindblowing to the 16-year old me. Perfect blend of angry, defiant punk rock, and melodic alternative rock punctuated by a brilliant cover of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights as a hidden track/closing number. I cannot count the times I've listened and still listen to it, start to finish.
  2. Ompa til du dør - Kaizers Orchestra (2001) Always stylishly attired, but banging on oil drums with crowbars while wearing gas masks from WW1, a Kaizers Orchestra live show must be seen to be believed. For me, no band I've seen before or since can come close to the energy and showmanship they exhibit on stage. Ompa til du dør (Ompa until you die) is the one that started it all, and kicked off my love affair with the band, which has now lasted a decade and countless concerts. Essential, even for english speakers, who'll not understand a word.
  3. Bloond Money - Tom Waits (2002) I love Tom Waits. I love smokey dive bar ballad Tom Waits. I love straight rock Tom Waits. I love beat poetry Tom Waits. But most of all, I love poignant, angry junkyard Tom Waits. And that's what Blood Money delivers. In spades.
  4. Madrugada - Madrugada (2008) Madrugada's last album, recorded before and after the death of guitarist Robert Burås, is one of the most completely riveting albums I've ever listened to. From start to finish, it sinks its hooks into me, and doesn't release me until I've sat through the entire thing. Lacks a bit of the gloom which has given their previous outings its distinctive sound, but every track on here is a triumph, and never does it give any downtime or a chance to breathe. A must.
  5. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine (1992) For an angry young teenager growing up in the 90's, there was nothing more epic than Rage. "Yeah man! These guys get me!" I may have gotten older, and maybe find their politics a bit offputting, but I still turn on this album to be transported back to a time where this furious mish-mash of pure anger spoke directly to me, and was my ally in a hostile world.

I've probably forgotten a dozen albums that deserve to be on this list, but I feel I can get behind it. Some good lists out there.

BRELS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By BRELS

the soft bulletin - the flaming lips

nowhere - ride

hold your horse is - hella

spirit of eden - talk talk

laughing stock - talk talk

script of the bridge - the chameleons

...in no particular order.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By cookiemonster

@mewstu: Great list man. Suprised you chose Wowee Zowee over the other Pavement albums though.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By DelroyLindo

In no particular order:

1) Opeth - Still Life

2) Ryan Adams - Love is Hell

3) John Martyn - Solid Air

4) - Meshuggah - Catch Thirty-Three

Cant think of a 5th, it routinely changes

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#123  Edited By musubi

I'm not sure...about a top 5 but I know for sure that Marilyn Manson's "Holy Wood" album is one of my favorites of all time.

No Caption Provided
HorseFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By HorseFactory
  • Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
  • Belong - October Language
  • Telefon Tel Aviv - Immolate Yourself
  • Madlib - Every LP he drops
  • Ochre - A Midsummer Nice Dream
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#126  Edited By Kidavenger

Lots of great stuff in here, I need to get back into listening to good music.