#1 Edited by schizogony (975 posts) -

5. 3G (how else are you going to find local Vita players in your immediate area?)

4. Web browser (check your emails, download account-locked game saves, update your Netflix queue)

3. Speaking of Netflix: $14.99 movie downloads on PSN (Sony Pictures fans worry not -- all three RE movies are available)

2. Second analog stick (suck it, Monster Hunter freaks)

1. The most incredible handheld games ever made -- and that's what really counts.

#2 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

ahhm . . what will win?

#3 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@schizogony:

5. My iPhone does 3G

4. My iPhone does that too.

3. My iPhone also does this.

2. Do you really want to play console style games on a (relatively) small handheld screen? I don't.

1. See point #2.

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Rebuttal:

5. I'm pretty sure even my refrigerator has 3G at this point. Sony's a little late on this train.
4. [see #5]
3. $0 is the price I want to pay for a single movie. $15 > $0 Also, the RE movies are not exactly the pinnacle of entertainment.
2. Finally. I agree with you on this one.
1. That's a pretty subjective statement.

$250-300 USD seems a little steep for a handheld, too.

#5 Edited by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I don't want to play games on handheld. Believe me, iPhone and Android have that market in their pockets, whatever shitty games they can make people will eat it up.

#6 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Win what, exactly?

The Nintendo DS already claimed the best handheld console ever made so it can't win that.

#7 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

cut the price to 150 bucks and I'm in.
I think the PSP is great and don't understand the hate for it.

#8 Posted by dragonzord (823 posts) -

@Yanngc33 said:

@schizogony:

5. My iPhone does 3G

4. My iPhone does that too.

3. My iPhone also does this.

2. Do you really want to play console style games on a (relatively) small handheld screen? I don't.

1. See point #2.

My Android does 4G dawg. I can't go back to no 3G

#9 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

people really don't care that much about mobile gaming and what the iphone and other smart phones offer scratches that mobile gaming itch.

the PSV is too expensive, too big and too late... sorry

#10 Posted by Vyse (74 posts) -

Why do I get the feeling that you're not entirely serious?

#11 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1576 posts) -

@Titus said:

Believe me, iPhone and Android have that market in their pockets...

I see what you did there.

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (10079 posts) -

Can I play Vita games on my big TV? I'd like to play the Persona remake, but staring at a handheld for even an hour at a time gives me a sore back and usually makes my arm fall asleep.

#13 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel: Oh snap! You saw it before I did!

#14 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Points 1 and 2 are the only ones that my phone can't do, and that is precisely why Vita will fail.

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -
Congratulations, Sony!
#16 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

@schizogony:

If they're good games and they're exclusive to the Vita, then 'console-style' or not I'm going to need a Vita to play them on.  
That said, I'm not buying one. Yet. 
#17 Posted by Village_Guy (2638 posts) -

Isn't it already failing in Japan with poor sales?

Anyway I doubt it'll win anything, it is too expensive compared to the features it have, and so far all I have heard when people talk about the games on it is that the framerate have problems almost consistently.

#18 Posted by Pepsiman (2485 posts) -

@Village_Guy: The PSP had significantly fewer sales at launch in Japan because of a constrained supply chain and went on to do pretty okay. The thing the current statistics tend to not take into account is that Sony shipped a lot more Vita units to satisfy immediate demand this time around, so there's no arbitrary shortage at work to make it look as though it's more popular than it really is, like in the case of the PSP's Japanese launch. It's not to say that the Vita won't potentially flop later on, but the current numbers coming out about the Japanese sales need to be seriously recontextualized. When you examine it in terms of how Sony actually handled the launch, it's basically been going according to plan. They didn't run out of units right away and can maintain stores with the remaining batch that's still selling at a decent clip while they work on manufacturing the next set. As far as I know and have heard, the only red alarms the current numbers are setting off are the analysts' and not Sony's own.

#19 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

That's cool. I'll be playing what I play and continue not caring about what's winning.

#20 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@schizogony said:

5. 3G (how else are you going to find local Vita players in your immediate area?)

4. Web browser (check your emails, download account-locked game saves, update your Netflix queue)

3. Speaking of Netflix: $14.99 movie downloads on PSN (Sony Pictures fans worry not -- all three RE movies are available)

1. The most incredible handheld games ever made -- and that's what really counts.

Number 1 reason why it will lose. Accessories cost almost as much as the system itself.

The barrier for entry is too high. It's a sexy platform that's being handled incredibly poorly.

#21 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
cut the price to 150 bucks and I'm in. I think the PSP is great and don't understand the hate for it.
Me neither man.

The Vita definitely feels too expensive at this point, but handheld games are more than just scaled down console games. The PSP has a great selection of unique games, and I hope the Vita delivers on that front as well.
#22 Posted by coribald (313 posts) -

Handheld gaming ended for me with my DS Lite. Still the best.

#23 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Win what? 

And the 3DS already won in terms of sales during the time when Nintendo was "finished" and it was "doing horribly".

#24 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@schizogony said:

5. Spot pass.

4. The 3DS has a web browser.

2. The 3DS has a second analogue stick with an attachment, we know there will be a second model before long and the PSP Monster Hunter isn't being released over here.. and all the new ones will likely be for the DS, since Capcom don't want to develop bigger budget versions, which is why we never saw it on the PS3.

The Vita definitely has its good points, and I certainly don't agree with those who think iPhones/Android make handhelds useless (unless you consider Angry Birds on par with games like Mario 3D Land) but I'm not willing to be an early adopter. The thing is too expensive, has few games and may not have a future.

#25 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I haven't seen any games for it that make we want to drop $300 on the system alone.

#26 Posted by DarthOrange (3868 posts) -

@schizogony:

Wrong place to post this. I agree with you but believe it or not most of the forum users on Giant Bomb don't actually enjoy playing video games, they enjoy seeing the Bomb Squad talk about video games and repeat (much like parakeets) the crews likes and dislikes. Thus the bomb crew doesn't like the vita so the vita is dumb.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said: 

Yes, I do. I definitely do.
#28 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

The Vita won't succeed, it won't necessarily fail but it's likely to go the same way as the psp. Strikingly mediocre.

I will however buy one when they are hacked, I wound up using my psp solely for emulation. If the Vita ends up emulating Dreamcast, Gamecube and Ps2 I will buy one on the spot.

I just don't see where the vita fits. I commute every day but the idea of carrying another device when I can game on my iPhone is silly. The Vita games seem to be trying to play more like console games, when I'm at home I'd rather play on my console or PC. People who have to commute a long way and are sat down for hours at a time are the only people I see the Vita fitting.

#29 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

Games on the $199 iPhone cost $0.99. Games on the more expensive Playstation Vita cost at least $30. This is why the Vita will fail. I prefer gaming on a real mobile platform like the Playstation Vita, but the market does not want another expensive device taking up space.

#30 Posted by benspyda (2038 posts) -
#31 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I stopped reading at "All three Resident Evil movies". Really dude? Really?

#32 Posted by RobertOrri (1139 posts) -

Why are you handheld fanboys still bickering about whether 3DS or Vita will be superior?

You should be huddling together, eking out the last moments of your pitiful loyalties as the iOSpocalypse looms ever closer, whispering "I don't want to die alone".

Handhelds without actual buttons are the real threat.

#33 Posted by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

I don't know what you mean by "win." If you mean that it will sell, I think that it will do fine, just not spectacularly.

#34 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I hope it does well. After all the extensive travelling I did a few months back I really could see where I would love having a Vita, basically a console in your pocket. My iPhone doesn't cut it when it comes to playing an in depth game for a long period of time.

#35 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

$15 movie downloads? What a fucking scam.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -

Win what? Is it in a race? Who's in second?

#37 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Only 15 dollars for a movie on a tiny screen?!? That's a bargain right there.

#38 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -

lol this thread

#39 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -

Good Lord, I mean, you people really took the first four points seriously? Like, really? I feel like in Star Trek where the Federation touches down on a less-developed planet, but they must adhere to the Prime Directive and not interfere in their technological evolution if the planet is not ready yet -- only this is regarding lists about video games and poking fun at unnecessary features that add up to a stack of nothing when it's the games that matters, but everyone on this board is wannabe enthusiast press so every single discussion about video games must be nothing less than a philosophical breakthrough.

#40 Posted by Witzig (328 posts) -

@RobertOrri said:

Why are you handheld fanboys still bickering about whether 3DS or Vita will be superior?

You should be huddling together, eking out the last moments of your pitiful loyalties as the iOSpocalypse looms ever closer, whispering "I don't want to die alone".

Handhelds without actual buttons are the real threat.

Ha that's the funniest thing I've heard this week on this site.

#41 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -
@schizogony said:

Good Lord, I mean, you people really took the first four points seriously? Like, really? I feel like in Star Trek where the Federation touches down on a less-developed planet, but they must adhere to the Prime Directive and not interfere in their technological evolution if the planet is not ready yet -- only this is regarding lists about video games and poking fun at unnecessary features that add up to a stack of nothing when it's the games that matters, but everyone on this board is wannabe enthusiast press so every single discussion about video games must be nothing less than a philosophical breakthrough.

Woah.