• 76 results
#1 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Just my pick for the top five skylines of the world. What are your picks?

1. Hong Kong
  2. New York City
  3. Dubai
  4. Chicago
  5. Toronto (I just had to pick that one!)

If you don't know already, I like my city.
#2 Posted by Guardian (318 posts) -

Yeah, I like Toronto's skyline (on a clear day). Although it would be very average without the CN tower.

#3 Edited by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

I would have to argue that Seattle should be on that list. (Then again, it is my city.)

Took the shot earlier this year.
#4 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

5. Chicago

4. Vancouver B.C.

3. Tokyo

2. Seattle

1. Seattle

#5 Posted by DavidPalmer (343 posts) -

The Dubai skyline is actually the background on my Blackberry right now...it's pretty amazing, there is just so much stuff going on. Tons of crazy buildings.

#6 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" Just my pick for the top five skylines of the world. What are your picks?

1. Honk Kong

"
lolwut?
#7 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

i would definitely put Seattle and Chicago in there, on a clear day they are both just beautiful

i don't know if i can really list anymore though because these 2 are just from personal experience and i have not been to many cities with a great skyline

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

That Tokyo one is badass.

#9 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -
@Maxszy said:
"I would have to argue that Seattle should be on that list. (Then again, it is my city.)

Took the shot earlier this year."
Pollution much?

For grandeur, I like Hong Kong. Visually, Vancouver or Toronto. I would like Dubai's but the fact that I hate everything about Dubai prevents me from picking it.
#10 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

I love the Shanghai skyline. It was beautiful at night and the Bund was nice in the daytime.

#11 Posted by Revanjk (14 posts) -

5: New York City
4: Hong Kong
3: Tokyo
2: San Francisco
1: LA FTW (Because its my city :D)

#12 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
#13 Posted by Player1 (3864 posts) -

Seattle is cool...but don't see why everyone is freaking out over it. I like Tokyo's and New Yorks the best

#14 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" That Tokyo one is badass. "
Yeah, i was in Tokyo in January, and my hotel view was pretty close to that picture. It was so badass. (Shinagawa Prince Hotel BTW)
#15 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Who knows now with the current economic climate whether Dubai will ever get to look like Coruscant or not anymore.

#16 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

It might be a small city but my hometown of Salt Lake, UT I think looks nice mostly because of the mountains

#17 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

As a Torontonian I feel it is my duty to openly question the value of the CN Tower. It's a really freaking tall tourist trap, that's about it. All of the other buildings that compete with it for tallest free-standing structure actually house some sort of productive activity.

#18 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
" As a Torontonian I feel it is my duty to openly question the value of the CN Tower. It's a really freaking tall tourist trap, that's about it. All of the other buildings that compete with it for tallest free-standing structure actually house some sort of productive activity. "
Was it built for a worlds fair? If not, why was it built?
#19 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I gotta give a shout out to Los Angeles here. Not just because it's my hometown. Also, dude... no one has mentioned Las Vegas. I think Vegas might just very well be a winner in this category.

#20 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@ArchScabby: That's kind of unfair to all the human beings responsible for the skylines of other cities, don't you think? I mean millions of people were involved in the construction of the buildings that mark the other cities' skylines, and hundreds if not thousands of people died in the construction of them, whereas SLC's skyline's only virtue (according to you) is the result of good location choice.

Also, I should probably make a constructive contribution to this thread, so I'm going to nominate Kuala Lampur as a pretty good one. (I put the Petronas twin towers in every city I built in Sim City 3000 Unlimited)
#21 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
" @ArchScabby: That's kind of unfair to all the human beings responsible for the skylines of other cities, don't you think? I mean millions of people were involved in the construction of the buildings that mark the other cities' skylines, and hundreds if not thousands of people died in the construction of them, whereas SLC's skyline's only virtue (according to you) is the result of good location choice.

Also, I should probably make a constructive contribution to this thread, so I'm going to nominate Kuala Lampur as a pretty good one. (I put the Petronas twin towers in every city I built in Sim City 3000 Unlimited)
"
lol, 3000. 
#22 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@AgentJ: It's named after the Canadian National Railway, so I get the feeling it was funded by that Crown Corporation. It was built as a symbol of Canada's industrial strength (how masturbatory), and as a radio/TV signal tower. Thing is you don't need a 500 metre structure to do that in Toronto, it would only need to be 400 metres, according to Wikipedia at least.

Thing I don't get, what about Manhattan? What about all the other cities with more and taller skyscrapers? How come this wasn't a problem for them?
#23 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@AgentJ: Dude, Sim City 3000 Unlimited WAS FUCKIN' AWESOME!

You could design your own scenario challenges, design your own skyscrapers and baseball or soccer stadia and upload them to a Maxis website and download other people's creations! My Quigley Insurance building had a 5 star rating as of 2003.
#24 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
" @AgentJ: Dude, Sim City 3000 Unlimited WAS FUCKIN' AWESOME! You could design your own scenario challenges, design your own skyscrapers and baseball or soccer stadia and upload them to a Maxis website and download other people's creations! My Quigley Insurance building had a 5 star rating as of 2003. "
I'm sorry, but 4 was far superior. i could spend all day figuring out how to fix the traffic problem at a busy avenue intersection
#25 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@AgentJ: Sim City 4 was great, it was really cool building entire regions, but 3000 was the Sim City I spent the most time with (other than Sim City for the SNES)
#26 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@pirate_republic said:
"
@Maxszy said:
"I would have to argue that Seattle should be on that list. (Then again, it is my city.)

Pollution much?For grandeur, I like Hong Kong. Visually, Vancouver or Toronto. I would like Dubai's but the fact that I hate everything about Dubai prevents me from picking it. "
Pollution? No way. Seattle is one of the cleanest cities in the country. One of the most environmentally friendly cities. I took as the sun was reflecting off downtown.
#27 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -
@Maxszy said:
"
@pirate_republic said:
"
@Maxszy said:

Pollution much?For grandeur, I like Hong Kong. Visually, Vancouver or Toronto. I would like Dubai's but the fact that I hate everything about Dubai prevents me from picking it. "
Pollution? No way. Seattle is one of the cleanest cities in the country. One of the most environmentally friendly cities. I took as the sun was reflecting off downtown."
I dunno, but it sure looks like some serious haze in the picture. My city (Calgary) sure as heck never looks like that, at any time. Well, maybe on Friday evenings.
#28 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

Virginia Beach :P

That's our entire skyline, I hear they are building another skyscraper too, which would double the greatness of this image ;P
#29 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@pirate_republic said:
"
@Maxszy said:
"
@pirate_republic said:
"
@Maxszy said:

Pollution? No way. Seattle is one of the cleanest cities in the country. One of the most environmentally friendly cities. I took as the sun was reflecting off downtown."
I dunno, but it sure looks like some serious haze in the picture. My city (Calgary) sure as heck never looks like that, at any time. Well, maybe on Friday evenings. "
Perhaps I just butchered the editing. :-P
#30 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

this is indianapolis's skyline, its not much, but its the best my state has to offer

and i think this is a pretty sweet thread, its cool to see all the different ones through out the world...
#31 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I mostly just chose my list based on how the buildings contrasted with the sky.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -

My personal list would include Sydney and Honolulu, but those aren't really obvious choices, unless you've been there.

#33 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I have six favorite skylines.

Chicago

Dubai

Hong Kong

New York City

Seattle

Shanghai

#34 Edited by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

San Francisco represent.

#35 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@AgentJ: I agree, Simcity 4 was better. The reason why I thought it was better was because it was one of the only Simcity game where I didn't always go broke. =P

Also Vancouver got my pick.
#36 Posted by prowlingmongoose (41 posts) -

Let me lay it down for you guys old school...:

1. Chicago (Most varied, tallest in NA, just awesome)
2. Toronto (The CN tower really makes it [sorry if the name's wrong])
3. Seattle (Again, space needle)
4. St. Louis (K, so this one's a little weird, but I really like the arch...its unique.)
5. San Fran (Architecture is awesome, some really interesting buildings, GG bridge.)

BOOM!
#37 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@Player1 said:
" Seattle is cool...but don't see why everyone is freaking out over it. I like Tokyo's and New Yorks the best "
It's not just the Space Needle. Like a previous poster said: Seattle is pretty damn clean and clear, and when the hazy fog that is the weather lifts, all is forgiven with some phenomenal clear views.
Mountains? Water? Buildings? Strange alien spaceship? Check. Check, and check.
#38 Posted by Knives (711 posts) -

Just throwing out some that you wouldn't immediately think of.

Shanghai

Sydney

Sydney

Rio De Janeiro

Rio De Janeiro

And my personal favorite:

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh

These pictures really don't do it justice.
#39 Posted by mikemosha90 (113 posts) -

Miami!

#40 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Huh...looks like a bunch of overindustrialized and monetary-necessitated bullshit to me.  =  /  I prefer this skyline:

#41 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

I was just in Kuala Lumpur a week ago, and it has one bad ass skyline.

#42 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Knives said:
" Just throwing out some that you wouldn't immediately think of
Rio De Janeiro

And my personal favorite:

Pittsburgh

These pictures really don't do it justice.
"
The Rio De Janeiro pic is fantastic, but the pittsburgh one is kind of meh. i mean, the bridge is nice in the forefront, but the skyline itself is just boring. Maybe pittsburgh needs to look into getting itself an icon, like the Sears Tower or Christ Redeemer
#43 Posted by Nick (660 posts) -

Vancouver

#44 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Nick:
Ooh, i really like the port pic. What are your other top 4?
#45 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -
@jakob187:
That skyline is the result of the effort of one set of housebuilders, and natural processes. It could be replicated with little effort anywhere. By what measure is a rural skyline superior to the effort of hundreds of thousands of people, and the vision of several thousand architects and urban planners?

Personally, I don't appreciate skylines for their aesthetics, but for the staggering amount of effort and ingenuity they represent. Give me an urban skyline over a rural skyline any day. (Unless it's an industrial scale aggricultural centre or something to that effect.)

@Gorillawhat: What's Malaysia like, Gorilla? Or at least the part(s) of Malaysia you visited. Care to share any insight?
#46 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -
@Gorillawhat said:
" I was just in Kuala Lumpur a week ago, and it has one bad ass skyline.

"
My hotel was the tallest one between the big towers and the needle.

@Suicrat: Although I was only in Malaysia for 3 days, from what I could tell it was a pretty cool place. It was really modern for such a muslim country, with gigantic malls, amazing sushi, and women who didn't have to hide their faces. Their aren't any bombing worries in Malaysia, the muslim extremeists haven't started bombing their own countries yet.
Man do I miss that sushi.
#47 Posted by Johnny5 (1355 posts) -
@Knives: Thanks for mentioning Sydney! I was about to get all up in arms to represent!

#48 Edited by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -

DAMN YOU AND YOUR CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

1. Tokyo
2. Montreal (My City)
3. Kyoto
4. Lisbon 
5. London

I've seen all those cities "in person" and much more, but I love those ones the most.
#49 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@ahriman22 said:
" DAMN YOU AND YOUR CCENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.
1. Tokyo
2. Montreal (My City)
3. London
4. Lisbon 
5. Kyoto

I've seen all those cities "in person" and much more, but I love those ones the most.
"
London? I didn't really think it was all that great, though to be fair it has been a while
#50 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"
@ahriman22 said:
" DAMN YOU AND YOUR CCENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.
1. Tokyo
2. Montreal (My City)
3. London
4. Lisbon 
5. Kyoto

"
London? I didn't really think it was all that great, though to be fair it has been a while
"
Well, I wasn't really all that sober for my whole time there, so I may be wrong. But in my state of mind at the time, it was great.