#1 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

In honor of series 18 starting up, I have been watching some of the old episodes (for the millionth time). I realized that it is incredibly hard to pick a favorite episode because the show is so god damn good. And also because there are 18 seasons. Since nobody has written on the subject in about 3 years, I figured I would see what others thought on the matter.

I am partial to the travel specials, i.e. Vietnam/Bolivia/Arctic, but that might just be because their format (one continuous bit rather than multiple, unrelated segments during normal shows) makes them particularly memorable. Every episode has at least a couple great moments in it, it's impossible to remember them all. What is your favorite episode and why?

#2 Posted by Quantical (346 posts) -

The Vietnam episode without a doubt, I didn't realise how beautiful the country was. Of all the programs I watch I didn't expect Top Gear to be the one that opened my eyes.

#3 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@Quantical: That's why I put it first. It really is beautiful. The episode manages to capture it, and it's also funny as hell.

#4 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

Vietnam is good (with original, offensive music, not the edited stuff).  Polar Special is great, especially Jeremy's expression when James surprises him with wine.  The USA special (season 9, episode 2) is great, just showcasing how awful the US is, lol.  If you want an episode highlighting the quintessential Top Gear, probably Season 14, episode 2, where the guys build Geoff.

#5 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@HumanityPlague said:

If you want an episode highlighting the quintessential Top Gear, probably Season 14, episode 2, where the guys build Geoff.

hahahah oh yeah Geoff, I forgot about that. I crack up every time they turn into the sun and are blinded by the reflection off the aluminum hood.

#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6154 posts) -

I'm particularly fond of the Vietnam and Iraq episodes. That's a really tough question, though, and there are many, many episodes that could take the spot. Of the individual segments they've done, my favorite short segment is when they traveled to Pendine Sands in a Porsche, Jaguar, and BMW. That segment turned me from mildly interested to a rabid fan. Here's a link.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

The Bolivia special is probably my favorite, the country was gorgeous and the adventures amusing.

#8 Posted by Phantom (182 posts) -

Any episode where they have to buy a car each of a certain type for under X-hundred pounds is always hilarious, for not only the challenges but the cars themselves and the hosts' opinions of them.

#9 Posted by TepidShark (1059 posts) -

Making the limos episode.

#10 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Of the individual segments they've done, my favorite short segment is when they traveled to Pendine Sands in a Porsche, Jaguar, and BMW. That segment turned me from mildly interested to a rabid fan. Here's a link.

Another great segment that I completely forgot about. Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to watch that episode later.

#11 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

Yeah, Geoff should've been in Forza 4.  Missed opportunity.

#12 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@TepidShark: Agree. Great episode.

#13 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

I thought of another great episode. Series 9 episode 5. Tractor challenge, which is surprisingly hilarious; Jeremy's public service announcement about railway crossings; Kristin Scott Thomas.

#14 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I really do love the Vietnam episode personally, so I'll go with that for now. As a side-note, I did also like the small yet hilarious Dacia Sandero saga, complete with both the discovery, the acquiring and the loss of said Sandero in Romania.

#15 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

Geoff, RVs and the convertible people-carrier.

I also really enjoyed the episode with Sir Ranulph Fiennes as the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car (season 4, I think). He's done more with his life than I can comprehend. Just incredible.

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2738 posts) -

Im a big fan of the British Leyland Challenge.

#17 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

Geoff was brilliant

#18 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

The indestructible Toyota pick-up truck will ALWAYS be the best thing they've ever done by a long stretch.

#19 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

The one when they went India was dreadful, but the one where they went Vietnam was comedy gold!!

#20 Posted by medacris (648 posts) -

The Middle East Christmas special- for Baby Stig and Jeremy Clarkson thinking he's Jesus. And buying shampoo and a Nintendo DS because they couldn't find Frankensense and Myrrh.

I liked the one with Hammond driving the giant tank through South Africa, too, the bit where Richard tries to order McDonald's drive-thru when he can't open the window.

#21 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

The time Clarkson raced the Bugatti Veyron against Hammond and May in a plane was one the best challenges they did.

In general, they're at their best on road trips. From the specials to the long distance races and the car tests across Europe the ones where they travel long distances are always the best ones.

#22 Posted by RichMeisterMan (70 posts) -

I always recommend to my friends that haven't seen the show to first watch the episode where they do a fly drive holiday to America starting in Florida and Driving to Louisiana.

#23 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

I love the USA roadtrip through Florida. Jeremy riding up with a cow on his roof was the most hysterical thing I'd ever seen. But it really is hard to pick a true number one favorite.

#24 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

I liked the USA episode where they bought 3 beater cars, on a $500 budget. The Ford Crown Vic retired taxi with 425,000 miles was my fave.

#25 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

Agreed that my actual favorite episodes are all the specials (Vietnam being the clear winner). But easily the short segment that made me laugh the most was "Three Wheelin" when Jeremy drove that Reliant Robin and flipped over a bunch. I don't know why, but the first time I saw that it was hilarious.

#26 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

As a side-note, I did also like the small yet hilarious Dacia Sandero saga, complete with both the discovery, the acquiring and the loss of said Sandero in Romania.

Yeah, 14x01. I thought that was hilarious, but my girlfriend felt bad for May :( I do love Aston's though, and the driving bit under the People's Palace is fantastic.

@zombiepenguin9 said:

I also really enjoyed the episode with Sir Ranulph Fiennes as the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car (season 4, I think). He's done more with his life than I can comprehend. Just incredible.

04x09. Sir Fiennes kicks some serious ass, and I love his cameo in the Arctic special.

@MattyFTM said:

The indestructible Toyota pick-up truck will ALWAYS be the best thing they've ever done by a long stretch.

This I think is series 3 episodes 5 and 6. I haven't watched those two in a while, but that is a serious contender for best couple of episodes of TG. I'll have to watch these later when I get a chance

#27 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

@Carnage1290 said:

But easily the short segment that made me laugh the most was "Three Wheelin" when Jeremy drove that Reliant Robin and flipped over a bunch. I don't know why, but the first time I saw that it was hilarious.

Yes! I love when he pulls into a Reliant Robin convention and rolls it coming into the convention parking lot in front of all the Robin enthusiasts.

Other than that, the travel specials are usually really good. I also liked the snowplow episode quite a bit.

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6966 posts) -

It might be the one where they run the art gallery, or launch a Reliant Robbin. But the ones i watch the most are the specials, the ones where they go to some foreign country and drive across it.

#29 Posted by JohnLocke (255 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

How about the Toybota?

But yes Top Gear make some great episodes from time to time, I like their visits to other countries or ones where they do episode long challenges. Also car football, always a laugh.

#30 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@Fripplebubby said:

@Carnage1290 said:

But easily the short segment that made me laugh the most was "Three Wheelin" when Jeremy drove that Reliant Robin and flipped over a bunch. I don't know why, but the first time I saw that it was hilarious.

Yes! I love when he pulls into a Reliant Robin convention and rolls it coming into the convention parking lot in front of all the Robin enthusiasts.

Other than that, the travel specials are usually really good. I also liked the snowplow episode quite a bit.

I was searching the site to check if anybody had written on this subject in a while and I hit on a topic from like 3 years ago that revolved around the three wheelin' segment. That is hilarious.

Which one is the snowplow episode? I feel like that might be one of the rare episodes that I've only watched once, since I don't remember it that well.

#31 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Either the Polar special or the Teen car challenge episode.

#32 Posted by elcalavera (344 posts) -

Most of the above, and the motorhome challenge. I love the motorhome challenge.

#33 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

Alfa Romeo or the one where they had to make campers and Clarkson had the really tall one.

#34 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@ThePickle: Oh right! Hammond's ridiculous camper was the reason my girlfriend got into the show and started willingly watching it with me

#35 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

@fitzcarraldo said:

@ThePickle: Oh right! Hammond's ridiculous camper was the reason my girlfriend got into the show and started willingly watching it with me

I had to stop the video and take a walk when I saw Clarkson's vehicle almost topple over. Some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.

#36 Posted by fitzcarraldo (149 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@fitzcarraldo said:

I had to stop the video and take a walk when I saw Clarkson's vehicle almost topple over. Some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.

Same with me when the truck passes him on the highway. His response is priceless

#37 Posted by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -

The Fuel Economy Challenge, Jeremy choosing to completely butcher the contest by driving a giant luxury sedan so he could run out of fuel a few miles from his house was hilarious.

#38 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

@fitzcarraldo said:

@Fripplebubby said:

@Carnage1290 said:

I was searching the site to check if anybody had written on this subject in a while and I hit on a topic from like 3 years ago that revolved around the three wheelin' segment. That is hilarious.

Which one is the snowplow episode? I feel like that might be one of the rare episodes that I've only watched once, since I don't remember it that well.

Season 16 episode 5 if my Google-fu was successful.