#1 Posted by TheHBK (5548 posts) -

Now I know a lot of people on this site are in love with Top Gear.  If you like cars and racing sims, you like this show I bet.  Seemed like when GT5 was said to include their track, lots of people busted a nut over it.  Now I for one was never a fan.  These guys always seemed like car snobs.  Making it seem like anything that wasn't european was beneath them.  And here we have proof that they don't just limit themselves to hating cars, they hate people of other races and countries.  Enjoy this nice clip. 

So Top Gear fans, can't wait for the American version or what?
#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6384 posts) -

Grow up.

#3 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

Yes, because the American version will carry over all the exact same opinions and conversations. 
Only now with more N-words!

#4 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Hah, that was a good episode.   

If it means anything, the American Version is way worse.

#5 Posted by DeeGee (2144 posts) -

Hint: Watch more Top Gear before jumping to conclusions. Jokes. They do them.

#6 Posted by Eaxis (949 posts) -

What hate? I think you are overreacting.
#7 Posted by Hero_Swe (1187 posts) -

The american version is the worst thing ever and I can't believe how ignorant and humourless a being like you are.

#8 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" Grow up. "
@DeeGee said:
" Hint: Watch more Top Gear before jumping to conclusions. Jokes. They do them. "
@KaosAngel said:
" Hah, that was a good episode.    If it means anything, the American Version is way worse. "
I felt the need to quote all 3 posts. The American version is putrid, Top Gear is funny, OP needs to grow up.
#9 Edited by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

Top gear always make slightly controversial jokes. Like when Clarkson said that lorry drivers are murderers, or when Hammond returned from his horrific crash and they asked if he had gone mental because of it, or when they had to make an advert for a car and did a joke about the German invasion of Poland with the tagline "Berlin to Warsaw in only one tank". They're just jokes. They're not intended to be taken seriously. And they're funny.

#10 Posted by benpicko (2011 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" Grow up. "
@DeeGee said:
" Hint: Watch more Top Gear before jumping to conclusions. Jokes. They do them. "
@KaosAngel said:
" Hah, that was a good episode.    If it means anything, the American Version is way worse. "
I felt the need to quote all 3 posts. The American version is putrid, Top Gear is funny, OP needs to grow up. "
Exactly.
#11 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

#12 Edited by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

I'm half Mexican...don't take myself too seriously, but I think it's interesting that they probably wouldn't ever say "Imagine waking up and remembering you're Black" or "a Jew".

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6384 posts) -

Tbh what they said about Mexicans is just a stereotype invented by American Media anyway. Plus they were obviously not being serious. They always make jokes to that calibre, just not always about Mexicans/any sort of race (except F1 LOL)

#14 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

They got to get their stereotypes updated. We all know they're too busy stealing our jobs and doing drug runs.

#15 Posted by big_jon (5770 posts) -

That is pretty racist... But this does not make this show 'The worst show of all time' you are over reacting, but such is the Internet.

#16 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -
@TheHBK said: 

So Top Gear fans, can't wait for the American version or what? "

Well, first of all there already IS an american version, and second it's an entertainmant show. They pick on everyone, themselves and the British the most. If you take the jokes they make serious, then you really have to grow up.
#17 Posted by DeeGee (2144 posts) -

That entire episode was one big joke about how Britain is the best, anyway.

#18 Edited by artofwar420 (6299 posts) -

#19 Posted by Godot (209 posts) -
@audiosnag said:
" I'm half Mexican...don't take myself too seriously, but I think it's interesting that they probably wouldn't ever say "Imagine waking up and remembering you're Black" or "a Jew". "
Pretty sure Mexicans haven't been subjected to the same amount of racism and prejudice as black people and Jews.
#20 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

oh well so much for no complaining lol

#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero: I love you for posting that clip. Also OP, get over it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
#22 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

That is offensive.

#23 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Top gear always make risqué jokes. Like when Clarkson said that lorry drivers are murderers, or when Hammond returned from his horrific crash, and they asked if he had gone mental because of it. They're just jokes. They're not intended to be taken seriously. "
This. TopGear says some pretty messed up shit, but they want you to think of them as jackasses, not commentators.
#24 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Jeremy Clarkson owned a Ford GT for a while. Evidently anything other than European cars are, in fact, not beneath them.

#25 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Top gear always make risqué jokes. Like when Clarkson said that lorry drivers are murderers, or when Hammond returned from his horrific crash and they asked if he had gone mental because of it, or when they did had to make an advert for a car and did a joke about the German invasion of Poland with the tagline "Berlin to Warsaw in only one tank". They're just jokes. They're not intended to be taken seriously. And they're funny. "
You remember the episode where they discussed the prototype of the Mini Clubman? How it was to be "very british" according to BMW and they could come up with better ideas than teabags and spoons in a sidepanel? One of Clarkson's ideas was a SatNav that "only goes to Poland" or "a Fanbelt that will last a thousand years". I'm from Germany and I was lying on the floor laughing so hard it almost hurt.
#27 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" Jeremy Clarkson owned a Ford GT for a while. Evidently anything other than European cars are, in fact, not beneath them. "
It also kept fucking up thanks to American engineering.
#28 Posted by PaulRevere (208 posts) -

They're not always the nicest guys, but usually they are joking. I didn't find that overly offensive and honestly, it's not like those guys claim to be good guys or totally PC. People can watch the show for the information and interviews and ignore the rest if they so choose, no?

Oh, and the American version is the worst piece of crap I've seen.

#29 Posted by big_jon (5770 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:

"      

"
Wow
#30 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

WHOIWOWOW ONLY IN ENGLAND SHEESH

#31 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Shady said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" Jeremy Clarkson owned a Ford GT for a while. Evidently anything other than European cars are, in fact, not beneath them. "
It also kept fucking up thanks to American engineering. "
That is beside the point. This thread is not about the automotive capabilities of America or any other nation.
#32 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -

I can see why people could be offended by that. Probably wasn't the best material for them to bust out.

#33 Edited by SomeJerk (3361 posts) -

I'm a polar-bear-riding moose-eating snown*gger from the greater north, lemme tell you what I think about this.

It's alright. I've seen far worse on American television, I've seen even worse in highly popular movies.

#34 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Oh no, people are making fun of other people! WE SHOULD ALL FLIP THE FUCK OUT!

#35 Posted by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

They're an equal opportunity offender dude. I ordered all the past seasons and that's par for the course with them. They've offended Germans, The French, Americans as a whole, South Americans (South America), Northern Englishmen, Middlands Englishmen, The Scots, their police, Russians, Albanians, Malaysians, Koreans, the Chinese, Catholics, the American army, people who drive Audi's, people who drive Volvo's, people who drive BMW's, Australians, environmentalists, and mostly each other. That's off the top of my head though

#36 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" Tbh what they said about Mexicans is just a stereotype invented by American Media anyway.  "
Don't forget, their brains and mouths were also made in America. Calling this "grasping at straws" would be an understatement.
#37 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Isn't this program shown after the watershed over there? If it is, isn't it pretty much fair game?

#38 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I can see why people could be offended by that. Probably wasn't the best material for them to bust out. "
Low hanging fruit racist humor is edgy and provocative when you have an accent.
#39 Posted by AlexW00d (6384 posts) -
@mikey87144 said:
" They're an equal opportunity offender dude. I ordered all the past seasons and that's par for the course with them. They've offended Germans, The French, Americans as a whole, South Americans (South America), Northern Englishmen, Middlands Englishmen, The Scots, their police, Russians, Albanians, Malaysians, Koreans, the Chinese, Catholics, the American army, people who drive Audi's, people who drive Volvo's, people who drive BMW's, Australians, environmentalists, and mostly each other. That's off the top of my head though "
And our Government.
#40 Edited by Zimbo (875 posts) -

That reminds me. I met Richard Hammond last sunday. He was a really nice guy and we had a short conversation for a few minutes.  

What people like the OP fail to realise is that they are mostly just joking. The more people get offended the more it inspires Clarkson and the others to say the stuff because they think people are to uptight about political correctness these days.

These guys always seemed like car snobs.  Making it seem like anything that wasn't european was beneath them. 

This is where you are clearly ignorant. I remember them ripping into loads of cars made in Europe and even Britain. Hell, they make more fun of Britain then any country. Except maybe America.

#41 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Shady said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
That is beside the point. This thread is not about the automotive capabilities of America or any other nation. "
Isn't that what the segment was about though?
#42 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

" @mikey87144 said:

" They're an equal opportunity offender dude. I ordered all the past seasons and that's par for the course with them. They've offended Germans, The French, Americans as a whole, South Americans (South America), Northern Englishmen, Middlands Englishmen, The Scots, their police, Russians, Albanians, Malaysians, Koreans, the Chinese, Catholics, the American army, people who drive Audi's, people who drive Volvo's, people who drive BMW's, Australians, environmentalists, and mostly each other. That's off the top of my head though "
And our Government. "
And deliver with the subtlety of Carrot Top. Real comedians should be most offended here, just by the sheer laziness of the setup. At some point they're just reading off a laundry list and I'm wondering if the writer for 2 and a Half Men does Top Gear on his off time.
#43 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I cant believe that anyone is taking this seriously. Its top gear, they're not exactly meaning everything they say. 

I remember when I watched it live, Clarkson's comments about the ambassador really did seem like he was egging him on and trying to provoke a reaction. But simply, if you for some baffling reason take this seriously and are 'offended', then pick up the damn remote and change the channel!

#44 Posted by AlexW00d (6384 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" Tbh what they said about Mexicans is just a stereotype invented by American Media anyway.  "
Don't forget, their brains and mouths were also made in America. Calling this "grasping at straws" would be an understatement. "
I assume you are trying to be better than me by being sarcastic, but I guess you are probably an American. Regardless, apart from this, I have never seen/heard a single tv show make any sort of similar remarks to Mexicans on a show that isn't American.
#45 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Shady said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" @Shady said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
That is beside the point. This thread is not about the automotive capabilities of America or any other nation. "
Isn't that what the segment was about though? "
What segment are you talking about? The one in the OP? There wasn't any mention of the Ford GT.
#46 Posted by Blue_Cube (173 posts) -

@OP
I have only one thing to say and that is; you sir are an idiot.

#47 Posted by TheHBK (5548 posts) -

There is a difference between what we see in something like Family guy and this kind of crap.  Family guy does funny stuff and it is totally not serious.  But for them to bust that kind of crap out, is really offensive, they are real people.  And this caught my attention because I am Mexican.  And if they do this to this extreme with other people, then that is a fucked up show.  For you guys to defend them and to say it is ok for them to say this stuff because it is a joke, is not cool.  you guys really disappoint me.  Telling me to grow up?  Racism like this is unacceptable.  I am sure you guys are the kind of people that thought it was ok for Michael Richards to go on his N-word rant because it was just a joke.  I am sure black people had to grow up then right?  Oh an i see more of the jokes they have said.  Yeah, this is one of the worst things they have said.  It is one thing to make fun of a country, to say that cars have certain crazy features because of where they are from, but to say that joke about "waking up and realizing you're mexican".  Thats fucked up.

#48 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Shady said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" @Shady said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
Isn't that what the segment was about though? "
What segment are you talking about? The one in the OP? There wasn't any mention of the Ford GT. "
No, you silly. Inferior foreign car design.
#49 Posted by DarkTravesty (330 posts) -

lol cars.

#50 Posted by BigLemon (1022 posts) -

We have all made these same sort of jokes for it. The only difference is that we don't have cameras on us and don't fall under the scrutiny of public opinion.