#1 Edited by NTM (7344 posts) -

So, who's excited for the new film!? No? Well, OK. Anyways, as much as I think the film doesn't look fantastic, I'll probably end up seeing it. The reason I made this though was because I love when fictional universes (sci-fi especially), tries to immerse you into their world, and while, like I said, this new Total Recall doesn't have me all that excited, I found this website that I wanted to share with you. Prometheus did this kind of thing, as well as many other sci-fi films and games, but this is for the upcoming Total Recall. I think it's kind of funny too.

http://www.welcometorekall.com/

If you're wondering why the girl is the way she is, I believe in the film she's a hooker or something, so if you do happen to think she looks a bit... I don't know the word, but there's be a reason behind it. I haven't really gotten into this yet, but the music is just playing in the background, it's kind of nice. As for the film, I think the acting looks a bit meh, and it seems kind of fan service-y in some respects as you'll see on the new-ish trailer that's come out, but I think the special effects look fine and the art is alright to back that up, and I'm sure the sound effects will be OK too. Anyways, I just wanted to share this.

Edit - Ha ha, it's funny, I just clicked get started and there's a choice for video gamer...

#2 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

I just want to see the modern take on three boobies.

#3 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

This is kinda irrelevant, but last summer I worked as a teller at the Toronto bank where the film makers and production guys for the new Total Recall did all their business. One of the senior account managers at my branch got some stuff autographed by Colin Farrell.

#4 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

@believer258: My thoughts exactly.

#5 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

@believer258: Originally they weren't going to put that in I think, but in the trailer it shows that they are, except I don't think they'll actually show it.

#6 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

This is ridiculous.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

- That was this movie right?

#8 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Ha ha, I'm sure you know it wasn't, but it is Philip K. Dick, which I'm sure you also know.

#9 Posted by yoshisaur (2708 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I don't understand, has anatomy changed in the past 20-30 years that three boobies will look any different?

#10 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Blade Runner

#11 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I read awhile ago that this Total Recall was going to be PG-13. That may have changed, but I doubt it. It's directed by Len Wiseman, the guy who did Live Free or Die Hard. Remember the classic line, Yippee ki-yay mother*gunshot*? That's him. Maybe you'll get three boobs on the blu-ray release, but I can see it being cut from the theatrical release. He also wrote and directed the Underworld movies. I don't see this turning out great.

#12 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

@ck1nd: Are you joking, or do you really not know? Have you seen Total Recall?

#13 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

I was more disturbed by the new Judge Dredd movie.

I mean, what the hell?

#14 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

@believer258 said:

I don't understand, has anatomy changed in the past 20-30 years that three boobies will look any different?

It hasn't, I just want to see if they'll actually do it or if they'll just skip it over.

@louiedog said:

I read awhile ago that this Total Recall was going to be PG-13. That may have changed, but I doubt it. It's directed by Len Wiseman, the guy who did Live Free or Die Hard. Remember the classic line, Yippee ki-yay mother*gunshot*? That's him. Maybe you'll get three boobs on the blu-ray release, but I can see it being cut from the theatrical release. He also wrote and directed the Underworld movies. I don't see this turning out great.

Wiseman did include the f word, they just cut it out of the theatrical release. As for the Underworld movies... I liked those. Sue me, I thought they were fairly interesting, if not a little bit stupid.

#15 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

@louiedog: Yeah, I know. I'm not expecting much, if I wasn't a huge fan of sci-fi, I wouldn't even give this a chance, I'm hardly giving it one as is. The only reason I brought it up was because I saw something about a remake of Starship Troopers on IGN, and this guy is making that, then I just thought about looking up the latest news is on the film.

#16 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@louiedog said:

Wiseman did include the f word, they just cut it out of the theatrical release. As for the Underworld movies... I liked those. Sue me, I thought they were fairly interesting, if not a little bit stupid.

That's my point. It was cut from the theatrical release just like I imagine any of the more adult stuff in this will be.

#17 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

@psylah: Ha ha, yeahhh. I think Karl Urban has been in a lot of sci-fi's now, not a lot of them being very good. I think he was great in Star Trek though, but here, he's not the right choice. Also, that film just looks like a really high quality fan made movie, which basically means it doesn't really look like professional quality. I'm not that interested in it, kind of like this one.

#18 Posted by N7 (3587 posts) -
@believer258 said:

Three dicks.
#19 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

This new reboot thing is sooo weird.

#20 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

@NTM said:

@psylah: Ha ha, yeahhh. I think Karl Urban has been in a lot of sci-fi's now, not a lot of them being very good. I think he was great in Star Trek though, but here, he's not the right choice. Also, that film just looks like a really high quality fan made movie, which basically means it doesn't really look like professional quality. I'm not that interested in it, kind of like this one.

I hope Rob Schneider has a cameo in it somewhere as a reference to the already superior Stallone film.

#21 Posted by DonChipotle (2730 posts) -

Having never seen the original, I have no love for it. But even I think this new one looks stupid as fuck

#22 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1728 posts) -
@louiedog said:

In Wiseman's defense, Live Free or Die Hard was filmed with an R-rating in mind, but was later changed to PG-13 by the studio. Total Recall was PG-13 from the start, so there's probably not even really anything cut out. The Underworld movies are also pretty violent, so it's not like he's staunchly against R-rated films or anything. 

Yeah, this doesn't look too great, and everything about it seems to go against what made the original so awesome, but I bet I'll end up seeing it anyway. If nothing else, it should have some well-done action. Len Wiseman is a competent director and he seems to have an eye for constructing good action scenes.

I think Dredd had a decent trailer and has the potential to be far better than this. Karl Urban was a fantastic choice for that character.
#23 Posted by Solidsnak (131 posts) -

No mars, no movie

#24 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

No that was the shitty one, you want the one with "Two Weeks," and "you ever fuck a mutant?"

#25 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

If you can find it watch the special edition of Total Recall with the Arnold and Verhoeven commentary. You won't be disappointed. As for the new movie... never happened.

#26 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Its on ITV2 right now, just started if anyone in the UK wants to watch it again.

#27 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@OneKillWonder_ said:

@louiedog said:

In Wiseman's defense, Live Free or Die Hard was filmed with an R-rating in mind, but was later changed to PG-13 by the studio. Total Recall was PG-13 from the start, so there's probably not even really anything cut out. The Underworld movies are also pretty violent, so it's not like he's staunchly against R-rated films or anything. Yeah, this doesn't look too great, and everything about it seems to go against what made the original so awesome, but I bet I'll end up seeing it anyway. If nothing else, it should have some well-done action. Len Wiseman is a competent director and he seems to have an eye for constructing good action scenes. I think Dredd had a decent trailer and has the potential to be far better than this. Karl Urban was a fantastic choice for that character.

I only saw the first two Underworld movies. I didn't like the way he did the action scenes. They seemed to go on a bit long and crossed over from slick to stupid every time. I thought the entirety of Die Hard 4 was bad and I've only seen the Unrated version. I just don't like his work I guess.

The Dredd trailer looked interesting to me. I hated the last movie and have zero familiarity with the comics. I'm not familiar with the director, but from the trailer he seems to have some kind of vision for this. Too many action movies feel soulless to me, but this trailer has some promise that this is not one of them.

It was written by the guy who did 28 Days Later, Never Let Me Go, and Sunshine. There's some interesting, if not flawed, work on his resume. IMDB also has him listed as the writer for the Logan's Run remake. Now there is a remake I'm looking forward to. The original has more problems than great memories for me and a different take on it would be great. He also wrote the Enslaved game and is/was apparently rumored to be attached to the Halo movie. I'll keep an eye on Dredd because it may be a surprise.

#28 Edited by NTM (7344 posts) -

@psylah: I don't think the original was that good either, but Stallone did look the part for Dredd.

#29 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

I just wonder how well this will hold to the original, if at all.

#30 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

So they finally exhausted all the other remakes they could do from the 70s and 80s, and are now moving on to the 90s. 
Well there goes my childhood! Thanks guys!

#31 Posted by chrissedoff (2082 posts) -

Len Wiseman has made nothing but crap, so this will be crap. I've learned my lesson after last year's Conan the Barbarian movie. In that case, I looked at the director's track record and saw that he had made nothing but crap, but I thought maybe he just hadn't been given a crack at something worthwhile yet, and he'd do a good job. What a fool I was.

#32 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

@psylah:

I really do hope you're kidding. Rob Schneider was terrible in the original Judge Dredd.

#33 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I'm still skeptical about this remake. The 1990 version is a groundbreaking masterpiece for its time and all the actors performed phenomenally in their respective roles. When I first saw the trailer for the 2012 remake, I wasn't at all impressed. The CG stuff feels too overwhelming and too cramped up that it dampens the magic that the original has and the fact that they chose Colin Farrell to portray Arnold Schwarzenegger's role is just laughable. I'm very certain this film is just gonna be yet another "CG CG bang bang" film; all flash and no substance - just like any other recent action/ sci-fi films out there.

However, from what I've heard, this remake doesn't follow exactly like the 1990 film but more towards the original sci-fi book written by Philip K. Dick. I may still give this movie a watch just for curiosity sake but I'm convinced that I won't be coming out of the cinema with a smile.

#34 Posted by bill (98 posts) -

video gamer experience? aha

#35 Posted by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

@bill said:

video gamer experience? aha

If it doesn't include a bag of Freedos and a bottle of Mountan Dew then it ante no Gamer Experience.

#36 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

No. The original was pretty much perfect and this remake is completely unnecessary.

#37 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

It's like they took the original film, and stripped out all of the style and atmosphere. Yay.

#38 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

This new reboot thing is sooo weird.

This isn't a new thing. Every generation remakes classics.

#39 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

It should be called Total Kneecall. The amount of times that someone slides on their knees in the trailer is insane. Even if that is every single instance from the movie, it's still waaaay too much.

#40 Posted by Jrinswand (1705 posts) -

I doubt I'll go see the new one. I'm an enormous fan of Paul Verhoeven and the original movie, but I don't want to support this remake.

#41 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

If there is not a girl with 3 tits, this movie is garbage.

#42 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

As all reboots, it was unnecessary, and Total Recall was never that good of a movie anyway. It was actually pretty fucking bad.

#43 Posted by Vault101 (10 posts) -

theres a concerning lack of mars I would have hoped they didnt white wash out the sci fi...however the world does look cool and bladerunner like...

#44 Posted by wemibelec90 (1631 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

As all reboots, it was unnecessary, and Total Recall was never that good of a movie anyway. It was actually pretty fucking bad.

But bad in a totally loveable and awesome way, right? Right!?

#45 Posted by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

This move is going to suck. Hard.

Avoid at all costs.

#46 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

Heh.