• 71 results
#1 Posted by darkedhunter (37 posts) -

So recently I decided I needed to learn how to type for real. I've been doing the lessons on typing-lessons.org and it is hell. I stopped typing the old "peck and hunt" way cold turkey, and everything is taking FOREVER to type. Like this post, 5 minutes in and this is all that I have. =(

Has anyone else had to learn to type properly after childhood? Did you stick with it? It sucks...

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm still typing like that.

#3 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

I learned how to type properly in a typing class in high school. That was about 9 years ago for me. It was more of a introduction to using a computer and some form of word processor mixed in with how to write proper letters and shit like that. Stick to it because sooner or later you'll be typing properly like nobodies business. I still have to look when I press the numbers though.

#4 Posted by Nev (548 posts) -

I smack the keyboard, and words come out.

#5 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I just learned from watching people on TV.

#6 Posted by NegativeCero (3001 posts) -

Seriously, take a typing class. You will thank yourself later when you're writing long papers or when you're working, if it requires typing. It might take some time to familiarize yourself with the keyboard, but it's worth it.

#7 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

I'm a fairly fast typist and the biggest piece of advice I can give you is practice, as lame as that sounds.

Also, pay less attention to perfect technique and work more on building your muscle memory. If it's easier for you to shift your left hand slightly to hit the "q" key with your left ring finger instead of using your pinky, do that. Just try and do it consistently. Your speed will come with time.

#8 Edited by Hamst3r (4482 posts) -

Aww yeah.

#9 Posted by dudeglove (7829 posts) -

http://www.goodtyping.com/ is an excellent site. Up until a couple of years ago I was crap on the keyboard, but that site (which is totally free and super simple) got rid of all that two finger bullshit.

If you have an office job or whatever, just do a few of the site's exercises (they literally take a minute at a time) in the downtime between whatever it is you do. After a couple of months you'll be pro.

#10 Posted by darkedhunter (37 posts) -

I think I would prefer the cool embrace of death to the hell that is information input at the moment.

#11 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I used ICQ a lot in it's heyday so I just got better over time. I've no problem since. Having said that, my dad taught himself how to program in three programming languages...but he can't touch type at all. Se when he's writing a program (which takes long enough as it does) he taps out each letter o-n-e b-y o-n-e. Drives me insane.

#12 Posted by darkedhunter (37 posts) -

AND, my job is nothing but downtime. The joys of working at a mini storage.

#13 Edited by believer258 (11895 posts) -

@Hamst3r said:

Aww yeah.

This is the proper way to learn how to type.

Honestly, the home row keys are less like rules and more like guidelines. I spent a long time as a kid being told that I was putting the wrong finger on the wrong key. I finally flipped off the teacher, cursed, took off the orange thingy that covered the keys, and typed that shit like a motherfucker.

That story may or may not be exaggerated, but you can be sure that I type in a heavily modified form of whatever they teach in schools. Yes, it's good to learn that way, but if you find yourself more comfortable using your ring finger to hit a button instead of your pinky, or you would rather use right shift all of the time, or you never hit the space bar with your right thumb, then just do that and don't let anyone ever tell you any different. In fact, it's probably best if you don't follow everything to the letter.

#14 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

I learned when I was in elementary school and middle school so I can't really say about success with it later in life. Those were some painfully boring lessons but I've really come to appreciate how nice it is to be able to type quickly and efficiently. I almost never look at the keyboard unless I'm trying to use a special character that I don't use very often.

So, basically, my advice is to go out and take a keyboarding class. They probably offer one at a local college. It will probably only be a few sessions and it might be annoying but it will help in the long run. I believe I remembered seeing one offered at the school where I took my speed reading class (another class that everyone should take - it was only two nights but it made a world of difference for me) so just check the continuing education classes offered.

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Never taught properly, but my fingers seem to know where the keys are. If you asked me where they are or what kind of technique I use, I wouldn't have a clue. I can type a lot faster than I can write and that's good enough for me (plus my handwriting is lol shit).

#16 Posted by SuperSambo (2863 posts) -

People take typing classes?

Surely you just get used to it over time with use?

#17 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

I use more of a 4-6 finger technique that certainly isn't proper or "correct," but I can type pretty damn fast, and of course have the QWERTY layout memorized, as I'm sure most people do, even two fingerers.

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

My school required typing classes around the 5th grade, I think. I'm glad they did, too, I probably wouldn't have learned the proper form, otherwise. Oh, I also played a bunch of Mario Teaches Typing as a kid, so that helps too.

#19 Posted by darkedhunter (37 posts) -

Thanks for the input everyone. I like to see where I am at in maybe two weeks or so before committing to a class... It's just difficult to deal with the initial major reduction in speed.

#20 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I learned to touch type through a combination of playing Counterstrike and chatting on ICQ/MSN/IRC in the dark as a teen.

As a result, I do the majority of it with my left hand, while using only a couple of fingers on my right. It looks ridiculous and shouldn't work....

...but I have similar stats to @familyphotoshoot so, whatever works

#21 Posted by Sliced_Bread (148 posts) -
#22 Posted by LikeaSsur (1528 posts) -

It depends on what you mean by "type properly." I know I don't, and I really could not care less. Proper, five-fingered typing is one of the non-essential skills in my life. I type just fine with my own method, which I learned from....I don't know, just spending time on the internet.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm at 45 WPM with 1 error. From what I've heard, the average is 63, so I have a long way to go.

#24 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

I learned how to touch type when I was in middle school, but I've recently learned the Dvorak layout on a QWERTY keyboard so I couldn't even look at the keys for reference. It's definitely possible to learn where the keys are as an adult.

@Sliced_Bread: I want to get one of those for work to make it extra confusing when someone else tries to use my keyboard.

#25 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

We had a copy of Mavis Beacon installed on the family computer when I was kid. I learned the basics, and have been active in many forums which gave me a lot of time to practice. I can type about 85 words per minute on a good day. Like others have said, you just need to learn the proper motions and then just have lots of practice!

#26 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

Typing is like playing a video game, you just need to know where your buttons are at.

#27 Posted by 49th (2755 posts) -

I can touch type. I don't need to look at the keyboard, and I can type really fast... but I still use mostly only 2 fingers. It's comfortable to me. My hands move all around the place pressing buttons and it's way more fun than keeping your hands in one position trying to type stuff. Just type however you want to type. I like my self taught weird typing style.

#28 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i suggest you learn. i took a class in high school and it was pretty good. i don't know the number line so i look at those when i need to. since the class i have been typing good. i'm like 60 wpm.

#29 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

I had typing classes in school from 3rd grade through 5th grade. We were graded on how fast we could type (words per minute) and we couldn't look at our hands ever (the keyboards had the letters covered up anyway). I still have perfect form (i use the proper finger for each letter) without having to think about it, and I can type way faster than I can write with a pen or pencil without ever having to glance at the keyboard.

#30 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

Touch typing is when you keep your fingers on the ten home keys and feel your way to the other keys right? We had a weekly "computer lab" class in my elementary school where the teacher taught us to type like that. I pretty much stuck with it and now average 130-145 wpm. So yeah, stick with it and it'll pay off :).

My supervisor at work types using this blockheaded method in which he simply jabs at the keys using only his index fingers. My mind was kind of blown when I witnessed that for the first time.

#31 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
I learned to touch type through a combination of playing Counterstrike and chatting on ICQ/MSN/IRC in the dark as a teen. As a result, I do the majority of it with my left hand, while using only a couple of fingers on my right. It looks ridiculous and shouldn't work.... ...but I have similar stats to @familyphotoshoot so, whatever works
The left hand gets used more than the right even when using proper form. Not very noticeably though
#32 Edited by benpicko (2008 posts) -

I am so fucking shit at typing. Every second word I type comes out as a jumbled mess of letters.

#33 Posted by j0lter (231 posts) -

I type kind of both ways, its strange. I can type while both looking at and away from the keyboard, and my normal positioning is pretty close to what they tell you to use in the classes. I just adjusted my style for my typing style.

#34 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

My school required typing classes around the 5th grade, I think. I'm glad they did, too, I probably wouldn't have learned the proper form, otherwise. Oh, I also played a bunch of Mario Teaches Typing as a kid, so that helps too.

My school did it in 5th grade as well, I switched schools in 7th grade and they had us do it again then. That was the most boring class I've ever had, since I got done with all the lessons in like a 1/4 of the semester. Then I had to do busy work the second half of the year. Why the hell would a school wait till the 7th grade to teach typing anyways >: |

#35 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Thankfully my private school gave us typing classes all the way back in like 4th grade at least and we had them for a couple years along with many other computer classes.

I'm really glad I learned to do it way back then.

#36 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

I'm a fairly fast typist and the biggest piece of advice I can give you is practice, as lame as that sounds.

Also, pay less attention to perfect technique and work more on building your muscle memory. If it's easier for you to shift your left hand slightly to hit the "q" key with your left ring finger instead of using your pinky, do that. Just try and do it consistently. Your speed will come with time.

What website/software is that screenshot taken from?

#37 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I just kinda type correctly naturally. I supposed it developed after an adolescence full of typed school papers and IM.

#38 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Hamst3r said:

Aww yeah.

This is the proper way to learn how to type.

Honestly, the home row keys are less like rules and more like guidelines. I spent a long time as a kid being told that I was putting the wrong finger on the wrong key. I finally flipped off the teacher, cursed, took off the orange thingy that covered the keys, and typed that shit like a motherfucker.

That story may or may not be exaggerated, but you can be sure that I type in a heavily modified form of whatever they teach in schools. Yes, it's good to learn that way, but if you find yourself more comfortable using your ring finger to hit a button instead of your pinky, or you would rather use right shift all of the time, or you never hit the space bar with your right thumb, then just do that and don't let anyone ever tell you any different. In fact, it's probably best if you don't follow everything to the letter.

I hated the orange thingy. also, I use the right shift for everything (not all the time though, because I dont write in caps....lol). The rules about where your fingers go are mainly just to show you where you start, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people dont follow it to the dot (or to the key)

#39 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I learned how to type from Hackers.

#40 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -
#41 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:

People take typing classes?

Surely you just get used to it over time with use?

What? It was a required class in my school district.
#42 Edited by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I kind of have a hybrid touch-type/peck system. I mostly use my two index fingers, my thumbs for the spacebar and some times a middle finger or ring finger. It's actually pretty fast, maybe not the most accurate, and moving between different keyboards is a pain.

#43 Posted by ichthy (510 posts) -

It takes a little while to build the muscle memory, but once you do you'll never forget.

#44 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

No joke, one of the best things ever for learning how to speed type was playing WoW for a couple of years. There's nothing like typing during raids to teach you speed, if not technique. Oh, and I've written like hundreds of pages worth of essays for school every semester for the last several years.

#45 Edited by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

I've told people this story before and I can't help but get a kick out of it. I started typing as a method of communication (as in, not entering DOS commands or whatever) at the age of 7 or 8, where I got hardcore (well, as hardcore as a second-grader can get) into Quake and QuakeWorld. I went from hunting-and-pecking to 100 WPM in about six months due to the simple reason of stopping movement means death. To this day I refuse to use home row, too. I'm not really sure I can give any tips about touch-typing as a result of that, though...

My suggestion is to play Quake, and don't forget your +mlook!

#46 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

I was never formally taught how to type and I've never tried to learn from a piece of software. To be honest I'm not sure if I'm entirely "doing it right", but I'm pretty damn fast typing when I want to be so I don't see a problem.

#47 Posted by TyCobb (1971 posts) -

Real men use Dvorak layouts! I am not a real man, but I would kill to actually be able to take the time and learn how to type on it. You're able to type so much faster it when you get it down.

#48 Posted by drastry (2 posts) -

I would like to find some kind of online touch typing course. Is there any?

#49 Posted by Falx (347 posts) -

I've found that typing quickly is like learning to play the guitar in a way. You have certain "best" practices but as long as you are getting the speed (or sound) that you want then go with what works for you.

#50 Edited by Bollard (5529 posts) -

Dat necro.

My typing technique is absolutely awful, I use like one finger on my right hand. Especially as I am gunna be programming for a living I should probably try and fix that.

@hamst3r said:

Aww yeah.

You know, maybe I will play the new Typing of the Dead and force myself to use more fingers. Will probably be a damn sight more entertaining than these typing websites. Just will have to start on easy though.