• 55 results
Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

well here it is. the video of my first fight. i looked like shit! jesus i dont know what happened. all the boxing i trained went out the window and i just grappled. well anyways yes i sucked. i know it. but everyone wanted to see it so here it is.

im obviously the smaller guy in the white shorts that gets his ass kicked. ill never fight a guy in a weight class above me again.

#1 Edited by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

well here it is. the video of my first fight. i looked like shit! jesus i dont know what happened. all the boxing i trained went out the window and i just grappled. well anyways yes i sucked. i know it. but everyone wanted to see it so here it is.

im obviously the smaller guy in the white shorts that gets his ass kicked. ill never fight a guy in a weight class above me again.

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Dude, I used to box and all I can say is that all the training in the world doesn't prepare you perfectly for the real thing. Keep at it, you'll be much better for this experience, just don't let it get into your head

#3 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Dude, I used to box and all I can say is that all the training in the world doesn't prepare you perfectly for the real thing. Keep at it, you'll be much better for this experience, just don't let it get into your head

yea that was way different than practice. and he was 20 pounds heavier than me at the fight. but i just lost all my boxing and went straight back to jiu jitsu which is where i started training once i got hit hard those first times. i dont know what the fuck happened.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

You LIFTED that guy? Wow. Fucking wow. But yeah, you grappled too much, it seemed like you were too nervous to attack or something. Also, keep it up, duder. This is my favorite Blog series in GB.

#5 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@MikeGosot: yea i lifted him. but didnt help me at all. i was to off balance to dump him on the ground after lifting him. :(

#6 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

i will tell you this thought. my next fight whenever i do it ( im concentrating on gaining some weight first. about 7 pounds of muscle will put me at the ideal weight for my weight class)

it will not go like this. im letting my hands go and you better believe if i get them up into the air they are going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@tunaburn said:

i will tell you this thought. my next fight whenever i do it ( im concentrating on gaining some weight first. about 7 pounds of muscle will put me at the ideal weight for my weight class)

it will not go like this. im letting my hands go and you better believe if i get them up into the air they are going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH! Now that's pretty awesome. You fight Jiu-Jitsu, right? I think this fight would be a lot more different if you could throw him on the ground.

EDIT: Also, watch the reaction of the guy when you lift him, it's pretty funny.
#8 Posted by Ruken (38 posts) -

Nice fight man. Don't worry about the loss too much, the point is you actually accomplished what you wanted to which is get into MMA.

I read you wanted to gain mass. A lot of MMA guys get great MMA instruction but sub-par weight training instruction. What kind of weight training are you doing now?

I recommend doing the 5/3/1 routine if you've been lifting for awhile or starting strength if you're just beginning. Your MMA training is going to burn lots of precious calories so eat as much as you can. Five or six full meals a day if you can.

#9 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@Ruken: i just added a weight training part to my training. i basically do 3 sets of 8 very heavy weight. then my full routine of about 8 different lifts 6 times each with lighter weight right now.

@MikeGosot: yea im jiu jitsu. had i got him on the ground it would of been way different. size doesnt matter as much if i am choking you or bending your arm the wrong way. lol

#10 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Also, watch the reaction of the guy when you lift him, it's pretty funny.

well i couldnt see his face really but he did flail around pretty funny lol

#11 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@tunaburn said:

@MikeGosot said:

Also, watch the reaction of the guy when you lift him, it's pretty funny.

well i couldnt see his face really but he did flail around pretty funny lol

Yeah, when he started the fight he was all like "Yeah, i'm way heavier than this guy.", then you lift him and i bet he thought: "OHMYGOD HE LIFTED ME, WUT IM SUPPOSED TO DO NOW OH GOD!".
#12 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@MikeGosot: lol well he had another fight about a week ago in las vegas. he fought a guy in his weight class. and he lost. that kinda makes me feel better for some reason.

#13 Posted by jewunit (1054 posts) -

I watched a friend of a friend fight his first professional MMA match. He had gone through a couple of amateur matches and spent 4-5 hours at the gym for a number of months. He was finally ready to go for it. He trained hard enough that, according to my friend, he could go for an hour of fighting. The guy ended up winning by submission in the second round. It was the only submission of the night.

It is impossible to compare this guy's experience to your experience, but I think you have the right idea of going back and focusing on your training. Sparring every so often is important too, but I'm sure you know that better than I do. Anyway, keep up the good work. I would have thrown in the towel on the first hit from that guy.

#14 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@jewunit: yea i train a lot but i know where im weakest. when he hit me that first hit i just went back to my instincts which is grab him and choke him out. i need to stay calm and focus on the striking ive been doing. also i need to gain weight. i weighed 127 at that fight he was 147. my cardio is fine but my mass is lacking. im not a total weakling. i mean, i did pick him up. but i need more mass to not get thrown around like that.

#15 Posted by Roflwaffles (184 posts) -

There's no flyweight division?

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9580 posts) -

@tunaburn:

Most of the time, everyone 'first time' at anything is usually not great. I'm a mental health counselor and my first intake and therapy session were fucking disasters. I metaphorically got my ass handed to me. But, like me, you'll learn and do better next time.

#17 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

are you even in shape? you need about 15-20 lbs of muscle and lose that flab covering your no muscles. best of luck in your future. eat healthy to.

#18 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

No matter how shit you think you were, you had the balls to get in there and fight, keep training man.

#19 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@Roflwaffles said:

yes their is a 125 division. i went up to 135 though for this fight because they needed someone to fight him. bad idea.

@gamb1t said:

are you even in shape? you need about 15-20 lbs of muscle and lose that flab covering your no muscles. best of luck in your future. eat healthy to.

really now? i work out 3-4 hours every day for the last 2 1/2 years. i went from 101 pounds to 127 pounds of all muscle. check my other blogs to see the workouts i do before being a dick please.

#20 Edited by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

@Roflwaffles said:

yes their is a 125 division. i went up to 135 though for this fight because they needed someone to fight him. bad idea.

@gamb1t said:

really now? i work out 3-4 hours every day for the last 2 1/2 years. i went from 101 pounds to 127 pounds of all muscle. check my other blogs to see the workouts i do before being a dick please.

It's funny that someone would ask that, I've seen tons of fighters with a layer of "Fat" that were in tremendous shape, just look at Fedor in his prime, he was a fucking monster that could go forever and had a damn beer gut.

#21 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

@tunaburn: I can't wait for your Cinderella Story shit to go down. Keep up the hard work, Giant Bomb believes in you.

#22 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@tunaburn: Man, you did so much better than you made it sound after the fight. You definitely could have held your own and pulled off a win here with just some greater weight and more follow through on your boxing.

I like the ideas you have for improving before the next fight, and I look forward to the footage of that victory.

#23 Posted by gla55jAw (2685 posts) -

How tall are you duder?

#24 Posted by Subjugation (4715 posts) -

So what exactly ended the fight? Did the knee knock the wind out of you?

#25 Posted by DarthOrange (3810 posts) -

Fuck that heavy asshole he threw a dirty kick. Also you could tell he came out with confidence but lost it after you lifted him up. Keep up the hard work dude, I look forward to your next fight.

#26 Edited by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@Bucketdeth: yea grapplers usually dont get that super toned 6 pack because we get the full motion muscles. but people dont understand that stuff. thanks for the fedor example. perfect.

@CaptainCody said:

@tunaburn: I can't wait for your Cinderella Story shit to go down. Keep up the hard work, Giant Bomb believes in you.

and thats why i love this damn site!

@TruthTellah said:

@tunaburn: Man, you did so much better than you made it sound after the fight. You definitely could have held your own and pulled off a win here with just some greater weight and more follow through on your boxing.

I like the ideas you have for improving before the next fight, and I look forward to the footage of that victory.

thanks a lot man. it felt a lot worse honestly. and it didnt happen like i remembered it going down.

@gla55jAw said:

How tall are you duder?

5 foot 6

@Subjugation said:

So what exactly ended the fight? Did the knee knock the wind out of you?

i went in with a fractured rib. that knee landed right on it. and he had hit me in it a few times already. everytime i breathed in it felt like i was being stabbed :(

@DarthOrange said:

Fuck that heavy asshole he threw a dirty kick. Also you could tell he came out with confidence but lost it after you lifted him up. Keep up the hard work dude, I look forward to your next fight.

thanks man. i will do my best to not disappoint!

#27 Posted by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

Anyone that makes the decision to step in the cage get's respect. All I can say I keep on training and you'll get better.

#28 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -

@tunaburn: The only thing is if you have beef in school (or any other situation) you dont get to choose who to fight and the guy could be 60 pounds heavier than you. Then what would you do?

#29 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@ItBeStefYo said:

@tunaburn: The only thing is if you have beef in school (or any other situation) you dont get to choose who to fight and the guy could be 60 pounds heavier than you. Then what would you do?

does he train to fight? because i beat 200 pound guys all the time. if they dont know what they are doing jiu-jitsu will demolish someone of any size. i dislocated my 220 pound friends shoulder with a belly down armbar once. (he bet me i couldnt make him tap out in 10 minutes) my friend just signed up at my school because he came in and i tapped him out with a triangle choke. hes 160 pounds and wrestled all 4 years of high school.

weight classes are thier because if you are both equally trained the bigger guy will have a huge advantage. but in school, if you train and he doesnt, you should be able to win that fight.

#30 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@mikethekilla said:

Anyone that makes the decision to step in the cage get's respect. All I can say I keep on training and you'll get better.

thanks man

#31 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@tunaburn:

This is why I don't like this sport. I seriously cringed when he nailed you with that knee. I mean, one wrong move and he could have done way worse than simply render you unable to continue. Lots of respect to you, though!

#32 Posted by darthvader300 (48 posts) -

@tunaburn: so u fight a weight class up with fracture ribs on first fight?? i give props but are you try to kill urself??

#33 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@darthvader300 said:

@tunaburn: so u fight a weight class up with fracture ribs on first fight?? i give props but are you try to kill urself??

hahahaha well when you put it that way! what happened was i was going to fight a guy my size. he got scared and said he wasnt ready so he backed out. the only person that didnt have someone to fight was this new guy that was one weight class above me. they asked me to do it so they wouldnt lose a fight. i said ok. (first mistake) then a couple weeks before my fight one of my sparring partners ( a 170 pounder) was sparring with me. i got him on the ground and was pummeling him. he eventually rolled me over and elbowed me about 6 times in the ribs. i got my x-rays and what not. was told not to fight. but my ribs started feeling better so i didnt back out. they didnt really hurt all that much until he started hitting them.

@Bruce said:

@tunaburn:

This is why I don't like this sport. I seriously cringed when he nailed you with that knee. I mean, one wrong move and he could have done way worse than simply render you unable to continue. Lots of respect to you, though!

i agree but tahts kinda why i like the sport. one wrong or right move and its over!

#34 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

Jesus you complain about the weight difference and pain like it had anything to do with why you lost.

#35 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@tunaburn:

Dude, one right or wrong move and you're PARALYZED, or maybe stuck with a bad case of brain damage. I dunno, to me it's way too dangerous. I used to practice martial arts when I was younger, but that was before it turned into a method of training to beat the shit out of someone in a cage. Just always be careful!

#36 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

Jesus you complain about the weight difference and pain like it had anything to do with why you lost.

inform me then buddy. why did i lose? he hit hard, i couldnt get him down because he was heavier than the guys in my division im used to taking down, and he ended the fight early because he hit my bad rib.

#37 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Keep trying, Bill. You'll get that jaguar shark someday.

#38 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Major respect for stepping in the ring. I agree, I'd love to see ya put on some more muscle and move up to a bigger weight class perhaps (legitimately!)

#39 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Keep trying, Bill. You'll get that jaguar shark someday.

!!! best movie ever!! i want to be a member of the zissou society!

@VinceNotVance said:

Major respect for stepping in the ring. I agree, I'd love to see ya put on some more muscle and move up to a bigger weight class perhaps (legitimately!)

thank you. hearing everyone say i still did good and whatever totally made this loss easier.

#40 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Watched it again, and for what it's worth (not much haha), I am almost a foot taller than you, pretty strong, and have years of boxing and general brawling as a dumbfuck teenager/early 20s dude behind me, and I can say with all confidence that you would punch/kick/choke the shit out of me in a couple of minutes, no question, even if i was back at my peak fitness and boxing wise.

#41 Posted by AgnosticJesus (539 posts) -

I give you props for entering the octagon but you keep mentioning a bad rib as the reason you lost. Almost every MMA fighter goes into a fight with some type of injury. Anyway, good job, keep up the training, put on a little mass, and develop a stand up game. It would have been sweet to see you two trading punches. @Bruce MMA is actually safe for as violent as it is. Boxing is a whole hell of a lot more dangerous with documented cases of brain damage and even death. Not the case with MMA.

#42 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

inform me then buddy. why did i lose? he hit hard, i couldnt get him down because he was heavier than the guys in my division im used to taking down, and he ended the fight early because he hit my bad rib.

You lost because you are what people in the Marine Corps call a bitch. You looked scared, you acted scared, and you freaked out. There was no fire in your eyes so to speak. It looked like as soon as he hit you, and you got hurt, you quit. Pain shouldn't stop you, the only thing that should make you stop is the fact that your no longer conscious.

Also, all this bullshit about how, "he was bigger and heavier than me" is you making excuses. I'm 6'4 and around 165-175 pounds. In the Corps I grappled with Docs and other Marines who came in at around 200-230 pounds. I never got tapped out. I never won neither, but I still never gave up. They couldn't choke me out (I don't know why but blood chokes don't seem to work on my neck, you crush my windpipe and that's game over for me, but duh), and they could never wrap me up.

You clearly cant take a hit. Not yet at least. And just because "your ribs were fractured" don't give you a reason to give up like that. I've know Marines who break their ankles, then go 7 months in a combat zone walking on that shit 30-50 clicks a day with 130+ pounds of gear on. They don't stop because of pain. Why should you?

You couldn't take him down because he was a better fighter than you, not because he weighed more than you. He hit hard because your not used to getting hit like a man. YOU ended the fight early when he hit your rib, No one else stopped that fight, you gave up, you gave in to pain first. He didn't win that fight, you gave him that fight.

You need to take a look at why your fighting, and be truthful with yourself. You lost, or should I say, you gave up that fight because you didn't have the heart to fight. If you bullshit yourself with why you lost, your never going to get better.

So that's why you "lost". Pretty simple really.

#43 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

@tunaburn: I think losing helps you improve so that you can better prepare yourself for the next matches to come. Keep training man, and you'll be knocking guys out/putting them into submission in no time. GB's cheerin' for ya!

#44 Posted by ApeGantz (216 posts) -

Holy snap! That knee sucked, and I can see why you stopped. You should have your trainer or something hit you in the common spots where fighters get hit to improve your pain taking.

Other wise it was a good first match. I wanna see more!

#45 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner: You're a stand up guy.

#46 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Watched it again, and for what it's worth (not much haha), I am almost a foot taller than you, pretty strong, and have years of boxing and general brawling as a dumbfuck teenager/early 20s dude behind me, and I can say with all confidence that you would punch/kick/choke the shit out of me in a couple of minutes, no question, even if i was back at my peak fitness and boxing wise.

well i dont know how you came up with that conclusion but i appreciate it :D

#47 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner: youre a retard and i wont be responding to you at all. you have never actually fought and i wont listen to youre bullshit. i trained on a bad rib for weeks. i trained with a broken collar bone. when youer in a cage with one person and something happens that feels that bad why risk mroe injury? its amatuer not pro. it wanst for money. ir wasnt for a title. hes not a better fighter than me. in fact i do jiu jitsu with his instructor and can beat him. he was better than me on that day but i will beat him some time. and you goign with guys bigger than you in the marines doesnt mean shit. if they couldnt submit you and were that much bigger it just means they suck. like you do. now again, i wont be responding to you again.

#48 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@tunaburn: My god, do I have to personally kick your ass to get you to wake up? Stop bullshitting yourself. You have the mindset of a small child. All your claims mean jack shit, especially after that fight. In fact this, in fact that. If you wanna lie on the interwebs about how you trained with broken this and broken that go ahead. Just don't forget, your never going to be a man if you keep lying about what you've done, and how badass you are in sparing.

#49 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner: i have posted my gym. all my videos of jiu jitsu tournaments. my cage fight. my gyms address. website. all my info. what am i making up? the fact that i get hurt? youre the dumbest guy i know. a fake loser pretending to be a marine. ill be flagging your posts so i dont see them anymore. constructive criticsm welcomed. calling me a liar is not.

#50 Posted by Brendan (7664 posts) -

This thread turned into that episode I saw of The Ultimate Fighter.