#1 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

I have got somewhere in the ballpark of about 400-500 CD's, and I want them gone. Last year I went crazy and threw away all their jewel (or other) cases. Now I am sick of looking at my huge stack of totally unorganized binders.

But, the thing is I don't really know how to go about this. I want to keep the music in digital format. My only "must-haves" are that I want the digital audio to be as quality as the CD audio, no loss in fidelity, and hopefully as "future-proof" as possible.

Left on my own, I would probably just use Windows Media Player, drop all my disks into .mp3 format and slap them on an external HDD, but I figure I should get some outside input before I do that, as my knowledge of such things is very limited.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Personally, iPod and 320kb/s mp3 is good enough for me.

There's a guy at work who (claims to be) an audiophile, and he'll tell you that you need to rip everything as FLAC, and that the Creative Zen is the Pinnacle of mp3 players. I don't trust him.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Transferring is old hat. You want to Transfar your collection.

#4 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

Sell them all on eBay.

Finds ways to acquire your favorite music with or without buying.

#5 Posted by Marcsman (3126 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

There's a guy at work who (claims to be) an audiophile, and he'll tell you that you need to rip everything as FLAC, and that the Creative Zen is the Pinnacle of mp3 players. I don't trust him.

FLAC suck. As for Creative Zen I used to own one, they are complete garbage compared to any iPod. Their software is atrocious and super glitchy. Plus the damn things hooks up to nothing and if you use audio jacks to connect them to a stereo your Zen's outputs will be shot in 6 months. Zen's totally fucking blow.

#6 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@NinjaBerd said:

I have got somewhere in the ballpark of about 400-500 CD's, and I want them gone. Last year I went crazy and threw away all their jewel (or other) cases. Now I am sick of looking at my huge stack of totally unorganized binders.

But, the thing is I don't really know how to go about this. I want to keep the music in digital format. My only "must-haves" are that I want the digital audio to be as quality as the CD audio, no loss in fidelity, and hopefully as "future-proof" as possible.

Left on my own, I would probably just use Windows Media Player, drop all my disks into .mp3 format and slap them on an external HDD, but I figure I should get some outside input before I do that, as my knowledge of such things is very limited.

how much do you care about the audio quality? I ask because you could totally get away with ripping them as .mp3 and there will be no difference to your ears.

If I were you I'd just rip my most listened to or whatever I'm about to listen to. Get a big ass plastic bin and stick those cd cases in them and tuck away the bin for another time.

#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

sorry man, but i would say you have to rip them all. you can download all of them.

#8 Edited by Illuminosopher (320 posts) -

I have been ripping my CD's to apples lossless format using Itunes, I would say do that with the songs you like and then maybe rip the rest as ether wav or Iso and store them on a externalHD or something. also instead of WMP use foobar

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

He's right, but keep in mind, FLAC rips are four or five times larger than just MP3/320 rips.

@NinjaBerd: Personally, I did a similar thing. I ripped most of my music digitally and got rid of most of my CDs. I kept only the ones that were special.

#10 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

I just want them to sound as good as they would if I popped the CD into a drive, I don't know what bit rate that would qualify as.

I don't mind spending the time/effort ripping them. I just want the physical portion gone.

Also, i do not have an mp3 player, unless you count my Galaxy S3, which is where most my music is played from.

And, no Apple hardware/software please, personal preference.

#11 Edited by Illuminosopher (320 posts) -

@NinjaBerd: If your don't want to rip them to an apple format then rip the songs you like to FLAC and rip all of your CD's to ISO or Wav and use foobar as your media player.

and as a side note your Galaxy can play FLAC so I would rip a song mp3 320 and a FLAC of the same song and if you cant tell the diffrence then I guess go with the Mp3 files though I think you might be sorry down the line.

#12 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

Cool. Thanks for the help.

#13 Edited by TyCobb (1948 posts) -

@NinjaBerd said:

If you want to be as future proof as possible then you need to rip lossless. Basically either find a nice open format that you can listen to on your computer and then convert as needed when putting them on external device (Zune, iPod, etc.). To be really future proof, just backup the CD in an ISO and mount as needed.

I would highly recommend getting an external back up solution when you do decide to start doing this; don't mistake this for a external USB drive. You're looking at 342GB at the most to rip 500 CDs that are 700MB; 5 minutes a CD on average for 500 CDs continuously will take 42 hours. You do not want to spend all of this time backing these up and then have a drive fail. I would personally recommend finding a 2-bay NAS that supports RAID 1 with hotswap. If a drive ever failed, you still have all of the data and can just put in a new drive to be able to start backing up again.

My setup at home is a little more advance, but that's because I don't want to lose my video library that I have slowly been converting off and on the last couple of months.

#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

@TooWalrus said:

FLAC suck. As for Creative Zen I used to own one, they are complete garbage compared to any iPod. Their software is atrocious and super glitchy. Plus the damn things hooks up to nothing and if you use audio jacks to connect them to a stereo your Zen's outputs will be shot in 6 months. Zen's totally fucking blow.

FLAC sucks? Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about. It sucking and you personally not having a use for it are two very different things.

@NinjaBerd said:

I just want them to sound as good as they would if I popped the CD into a drive, I don't know what bit rate that would qualify as.

I don't mind spending the time/effort ripping them. I just want the physical portion gone.

Also, i do not have an mp3 player, unless you count my Galaxy S3, which is where most my music is played from.

And, no Apple hardware/software please, personal preference.

Use FLAC, if you want to transfer them to your Galaxy S3 then I'd recommemd Media Monkey, as it'll access the S3 internal and external memory for transfers, plus there's an option to auto-convert anything that's above 320KBPS into MP3 format, which means you don't have to manually convert files for your phone. (unless you want to chew through your phones memory by using FLAC)

#15 Posted by tarvis (75 posts) -

I have Windows and I'm lazy. I just rip using Windows Media Lossless. I think WMP is fine as a music player.

#16 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

YES. Finally someone who agrees!

Also it smells of bubblegum.

#17 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2462 posts) -
#18 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

Rip all of them, upload it to Google Music or something? Then back it up to an external HDD.

#19 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

@TooWalrus said:

Blasting Creative Zen compared to the iPod, oh man. **triple facepalm**

#20 Edited by ViciousReiven (820 posts) -

First off get yourself a stand alone encoder, the built in ones in things like Windows Media Player are slow, at least back when I used to use it in XP. 
I recommend http://www.freac.org/   it's simple enough to set up, and can be used to reconvert files if you need to, it has hooks to online databases for track info/album art that can be automated, and like any good encoder uses multiple cores to render multiple tracks at once.

Second, decide on a format, MP3 is pretty obvious for sheer compatibility, but if you're an audiophile you might go the lossless route with FLAC or Apple's proprietary codecs. 
Honestly while I can tell the difference between a low end (CBR 128-192) and high end (VBR v0 or 320) I can't however tell the difference between a high end MP3 and a lossless format. 
VBR (Variable Bitrate) is a 'smart' format in that it will detect the high and lows of a track and adust the amount of data per-second accordingly, while CBR (Constant Bitrate) keeps the same data per-second throughout the track, this makes VBRs take less space with negligible quality loss compared to the highest rate (320 CBR) . 

There are plenty of other formats, AAC with it's many variants, Ogg Vorbis is a good choice though, it actually performs better than MP3s at a lower file size, but the problem is finding devices that will play them, if you're only going to use a PC and you're worried about filesize it's a great choice.  

Lastly you might want to think about changing the program you use to play your files, WMP is 'okay' but there are plenty of programs that load faster and/or have better media library capabilities, that is if you're into that, I prefer opening my MP3s directly from a folder and have them immediately launch a program and start playing, for that I use http://www.foobar2000.org/ 
It's a highly customizable extremely lite media player that opens nearly instantly, everything you could want can be added onto it via plugins, personally I have it set up with a waveform progress bar, lyric display, and a bookmark function to resume play. 

As for media/MP3 players I personally recommend an iPod, and I'm the farthest from an Apple fanboy, I'll never own a Mac, I think iPhones are ridiculously overpriced, and their tablets have a terrible aspect ratio, but I ADORE iPods, the audio quality is as good as you could want for a lossy music player, and the interface is leagues ahead of the competition, just don't use iTunes to sync your music, it blows so hard on Windows, find an alternative like MediaMonkey or Trans Manager.