#1 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2596 posts) -

Since December its been reported that there is a script in the works for what should essentially be Tron 3. Tron Legacy director Joseph Kosinski has already made a few comment on the third film during his recent press tour for his latest film .

"Tron 3 delivers on the promise of Tron Legacy, particular the final scenes. There's a big clue there as to where we'll go with the next one. There's some characters we establish at the beginning of Tron Legacy who have a much larger role in Tron 3."

I'm not the largest Tron fan but I know some people who are into video games who consider Tron one of their favorite film franchises. I also remember hearing that most of the bombcast crew are fairly large fans of their own. Tron Legacy was alright but was at best an average movie for me. What I probably will remember most from that movie beside Olivia Wilde haircut and creepy Jeff Bridges face was Daft Punk's music. Would be a shame if Daft Punk didn't return to do the soundtrack since Tron and Daft Punk are kind of made for each other. I can only assume that Jeff Bridges probably won't be back as Flynn / Clu and that we will probably see cgi creepy Bruce Boxleitner face as Tron in the next film.

#2 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

Tron Legacy worked because of Daft Punk's soundtrack (and the visuals) and it was the only reason why I watched it and enjoyed it a good bit (despite the awful plot). It is possible that they would come back to do another soundtrack because they are free after finishing their new album...unless they decide to tour again.

I don't plan on watching the next movie if they end up not working with Disney.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4036 posts) -

Well, this is exciting. I really enjoyed Tron Legacy so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

A Tron without Jeff Bridges isn't a Tron I want anything to do with...

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

Tron Legacy was carried by the soundtrack and the visuals. I'd only see a Tron 3 if it was more stylish action and less pointless melodrama...and Daft Punk would need to do the soundtrack again.

#6 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Well, this is exciting. I really enjoyed Tron Legacy so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

^ that. However I do hope it has the same atmosphere and music as Legacy, that movie is all atmosphere.

#7 Posted by Quarters (1547 posts) -

I thought Tron Legacy was awesome, so I'm all into this.

#8 Posted by MikeJFlick (424 posts) -

@toowalrus: Whois to say Jeff Bridges won't be in it? it's not as if he was killed off in the last one.

#9 Edited by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

I am reasonably ambivalent towards this news. Tron Legacy really delivered on style, but I didn't feel like there was much substance to it.

#10 Edited by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

Tron Legacy worked because of Daft Punk's soundtrack (and the visuals) and it was the only reason why I watched it and enjoyed it a good bit (despite the awful plot). It is possible that they would come back to do another soundtrack because they are free after finishing their new album...unless they decide to tour again.

I don't plan on watching the next movie if they end up not working with Disney.

Exactly. The way the film was shot and edited, it was practically a series of Tron music videos, kinda like Interstella 5555 but with dialogue. The music is pretty much central to my enjoyment of that movie.

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

@mikejflick: Am I remembering that wrong? Didn't he fall off a bridge or something? Or maybe the whole world collapsed or... Ugh, I should probably watch that movie again.

#12 Posted by Jay_Ray (1009 posts) -

I'd watch another Tron

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

Tron Legacy was an excellent movie, and it wasn't just because of the soundtrack and visuals. There is a lot of crazy breakdown for that movie - symbolism, analogies, and even structure - that I feel people missed going into it. It's a masterfully directed movie. Some of the acting is questionable at times, sure. However, I overall feel like that movie is amazing.

In turn, I'm thoroughly excited about Tron 3. With all the madness at the end of the movie, I know where they are going with it as far as a protagonist, but I don't know what is going to happen. Epic final stand to take back the computer world from Clu?

#14 Posted by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

Not really a big fan of Tron. The only thing Legacy had going was its soundtrack from Daft Punk... otherwise a 'watch only once' type of movie.

Honestly, I was really disappointed by the visuals that Tron Legacy had implemented. Here's some trivia: The original Tron movie (at the time) was completely rendered by a CRAY model II supercomputer. That is why it looked so damn good back then. But Legacy? I don't think that Disney pushed their visual department hard enough.

What I want to see in Tron 3 is a Crysis type of maximum visual fidelity currently possible by machine. Screw rendering it on some puny overpriced Macintosh workstation... I WANT THAT SHIT DONE ON A CRAY TITAN, BITCH!

#15 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Tron Legacy was an excellent movie, and it wasn't just because of the soundtrack and visuals. There is a lot of crazy breakdown for that movie - symbolism, analogies, and even structure - that I feel people missed going into it. It's a masterfully directed movie. Some of the acting is questionable at times, sure. However, I overall feel like that movie is amazing.

In turn, I'm thoroughly excited about Tron 3. With all the madness at the end of the movie, I know where they are going with it as far as a protagonist, but I don't know what is going to happen. Epic final stand to take back the computer world from Clu?

What the whole ISO stuff and the discrimination of them leading up to the purge? You're giving them a little too much credit for that stuff. It had some good lines but overall that stuff came off as hokey to me. Also the plot is still pretty dumb because your brain needs to be off to accept that world's "logic".

#16 Edited by Humanity (7954 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

What the whole ISO stuff and the discrimination of them leading up to the purge? You're giving them a little too much credit for that stuff. It had some good lines but overall that stuff came off as hokey to me. Also the plot is still pretty dumb because your brain needs to be off to accept that world's "logic".

I think it's just Tron. It's not any worse than other sci fi out there. Once you accept the fact that this is a movie about a guy getting "scanned" into a computer where programs are living in cities and whatnot I think you're good to go in order to enjoy it.

I personally thought everything held up quite well. The story is there to move the action along and all the actors perform well without any cringe worthy scenes. There are a lot of neat callbacks to the original movie. The visuals, which are obviously the main point of interest in a Tron movie were outstanding. People give Daft Punk way too much credit as the soundtrack was good but it wasn't something that "saved the movie" or anything - but I realize that Daft Punk fans are kinda intense.

Maybe you need to have some sort of connection to the original movie to get as much out of this one. I can see just diving into Tron Legacy without knowing anything about the original 1984 Tron might make it all seem a bit hokey.

#17 Posted by MikeJFlick (424 posts) -

@toowalrus: I'm pretty foggy on it as well, but if I recall correctly they don't show a "death" they merely do the movie trope of "hes gone", besides without Jeff, whats the point of another movie? why would flynn's son go back into that world otherwise?

#18 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

Why do you all want Daft punk to do the next movie? There are plenty of other great artists that even rival Daft punks vision for a tron like sound. Notably Lowlimit, EPROM, Rustie, Star slinger, Surkin, and Slugabed all could do amazing stuff given the chance.

#19 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@humanity said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@jakob187 said:

I think it's just Tron. It's not any worse than other sci fi out there. Once you accept the fact that this is a movie about a guy getting "scanned" into a computer where programs are living in cities and whatnot I think you're good to go in order to enjoy it.

I personally thought everything held up quite well. The story is there to move the action along and all the actors perform well without any cringe worthy scenes. There are a lot of neat callbacks to the original movie. The visuals, which are obviously the main point of interest in a Tron movie were outstanding. People give Daft Punk way too much credit as the soundtrack was good but it wasn't something that "saved the movie" or anything - but I realize that Daft Punk fans are kinda intense.

Maybe you need to have some sort of connection to the original movie to get as much out of this one. I can see just diving into Tron Legacy without knowing anything about the original 1984 Tron might make it all seem a bit hokey.

I've watched the first movie, it's boring as hell. Looks cool though. At least Legacy mostly solved the boring part. Maybe I would be more positive if I had nostalgia in the way. And just cuz I can accept a dude getting scanned into computer world that doesn't mean I can swallow the rest. Where is Clu's cyber warship gonna go when it goes through the gate, through the basement of the arcade and create a crater from the resulting explosion? The image of a cyber pseudo-third reich emerging from the basement of a dilapidated 80's arcade makes me laugh more than anything else.

The movie is average at best and was boosted cuz of its visuals and sound. There are better movies out there that handle some of the themes it touched on.

#20 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

In celebration:

#21 Posted by Humanity (7954 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: Thats kind of what I'm talking about. The moment you start thinking about how they're going to execute their take over and ultimately to what end - they're programs after all - thats when you're thinking too hard about it. Any movie can be deconstructed in such a way and ultimately made less enjoyable. It just means that Tron is probably not for you rather than that it's a subpar movie. I can watch the original to this day and find it fun and exciting, but you're not me and vice versa and obviously theres nothing wrong with that.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@humanity: I wouldn't exactly consider that "thinking too hard" which is why I said your brain needs to be turned off while watching, but yeah different tastes, tolerances, etc, etc.

#23 Posted by JCGamer (655 posts) -

I really enjoyed Tron Legacy and would easily see Tron 3. Loved the visuals. Loved the music. I don't know, something about that movie really resonated with me and am looking forward to the next one. Oh yea- Daft Punk has to compose the soundtrack.

#24 Posted by GunstarRed (4731 posts) -

I've seen Tron Legacy four and a half times now and I still don't like it. I'm hoping at some point it will click because its a really pretty, overlong music video to me at the moment. I feel like I should love it, but I just don't. I will most likely watch Tron 3 and feel similarly about it.

#25 Posted by BoS_Tobe (12 posts) -

Tron 3...stop it. Here is the script: It was all a dream. Jeff Bridges wakes up in 1981 and starts programming.

Tron Legacy was an insult to the original Tron that pushed the boundaries of visual effects. What visual effects thresholds were pushed in Legacy...absolutely none. 3D...stop it. Bridges tried to save the film, but the story sucked, acting was just plain turrible (Charles Barkley terminology), and it was visually plain-jane. The music was decent for a soundtrack and Daft Punk fits Tron but music alone can't save the film. I'm not entirely sure if the soundtrack made more money than the film itself. It prolly did or at least, should have.

#26 Edited by probablytuna (3444 posts) -

I enjoyed the heck out of Tron: Legacy so I will definitely be keen for more Tron. And Daft Punk has to come back for the music.

#27 Posted by Ennosuke (59 posts) -

The Tron Legacy Soundtrack was amazing!! One of the best of all time! The visuals were also pretty nice. Jeff Bridges is awesome. I enjoyed this movie! But the plot was not the best, I do agree, but because of the positive stuff it was still different from other movies and I am looking forward to Tron 3.

#28 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

I enjoyed Tron: Legacy a lot. I can't put my finger on a specific element as to why I enjoyed it, although I can say that the soundtrack was probably up there in terms of importance. I'm excited for another Tron movie if they can match the experience I had with Legacy.

#29 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: Yes!! So I can finally post this pic???!!!???