#1 Edited by Aegon (6602 posts) -
Loading Video...

This stuff usually explodes right?

Lol, PMS joke as a core gameplay mechanic is pretty funny.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5721 posts) -

I'll witness the sadness and hostility that will consume this thread. I'll watch and wait patiently...

#3 Edited by mak_wikus (624 posts) -

I'm clicking the title of the video and never coming back to this thread again.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (23189 posts) -

disgunbgood.gif

#5 Posted by Giantstalker (1867 posts) -

Nobody cares anymore

#6 Posted by Coafi (1519 posts) -

This will not end well... will it end well? Let's find out!

#7 Edited by RazielCuts (3057 posts) -

@falserelic: What's the anime you've been posting gif's from?

#8 Posted by BigJeffrey (4949 posts) -

Oh boy, i mean girl, never mind.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5721 posts) -
#10 Edited by hanktherapper (404 posts) -

The videos are too boring for me to watch in it's entirety. From what I can tell Anita is one of those people who look to get offended. Honestly these tropes have been around since story telling became a thing. That being said, she doesn't deserve the hate she gets.

#11 Posted by Aegon (6602 posts) -
#12 Posted by Demoskinos (16146 posts) -

I like the part where she thinks her game idea is original. Lol.

#13 Posted by falserelic (5721 posts) -
#14 Posted by Deranged (1912 posts) -

I don't understand all the hate she's received. I enjoyed her videos, perhaps I disagreed with her on some points but I could understand her position.

#15 Edited by Yummylee (23189 posts) -

Spelunky game allows you to switch up the damsels to male hunks and/or dogs.

AKA

Women are being compared to dogs OMGWTFNJSDNSPNDFPIODSWCNPDJAWEPSDAPJAWAWDVN.

Also, the fact that there's a male damsel option apparently doesn't even matter. Why? Because!

She doesn't even acknowledge or bring up that there's playable female characters, either. So the game could totally play out with you as a female character rescuing boy toys.

Fuck it, I tried. Hearing her complain about the violence being 'gratuitious' in The Last of Us sealed the deal, but I was at least curious to see how this third video dealing with male damsels would pan out... Oh well, that's that then.

#16 Posted by stubbleman (308 posts) -

So does she spoil like, a dozen different game endings in this one like she did in the last one? Cause I was going to watch part 2, but I still plan on playing a lot of the games she spoiled in that one.

#17 Posted by Milkman (17803 posts) -
#18 Posted by Tearhead (2382 posts) -

So does she spoil like, a dozen different game endings in this one like she did in the last one? Cause I was going to watch part 2, but I still plan on playing a lot of the games she spoiled in that one.

Pretty much.

#19 Posted by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@yummylee said:

AKA

Also, the fact that there's a male damsel option apparently doesn't even matter. Why? Because!

She doesn't even acknowledge or bring up that there's playable female characters, either. So the game could totally play out with you as a female character rescuing boy toys.

There's also a reversed mode (at least in the PC original) which lets you play as the damsel, all damsels are replaced with the spelunker.

#20 Posted by 5Figh (173 posts) -

is that jennifer hale doing the voiceover on the lil video at the 20min mark?

#21 Edited by hinderk (702 posts) -

@yummylee said:

AKA

Fuck it, I tried. Hearing her complain about the violence being 'gratuitious' in The Last of Us sealed the deal, but I was at least curious to see how this third video dealing with male damsels would pan out... Oh well, that's that then.

The Spelunky part was the only thing that I really disagreed with. One of the biggest problems with the damsel in distress trope is that is singles out women as be weak and being unable to save themselves. Spelunky has a female, male, and a dog damsel, so it doesn't single out women as being weak. I agreed with almost everything else she said though.

#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

@tearhead said:

@stubbleman said:

Pretty much.

The only endings I recall being "spoiled" in this one (also referring to the list of games on her site, including those w/asterisks) were Castle Crashers, Earthworm Jim, Eversion, and Braid. And she mentions elements of the ending of The Secret of Monkey Island and Super Meat Boy, as well as a couple story elements of Beyond Good & Evil not pertaining to the ending.

So, um, of those, the only one with a special ending is Braid, and the part of the Monkey Island ending she mentions is a good moment. So maybe go play those two if you haven't.

#23 Posted by stubbleman (308 posts) -

@tearhead said:

@stubbleman said:

Pretty much.

The only endings I recall being "spoiled" in this one (also referring to the list of games on her site, including those w/asterisks) were Castle Crashers, Earthworm Jim, Eversion, and Braid. And she mentions elements of the ending of The Secret of Monkey Island and Super Meat Boy, as well as a couple story elements of Beyond Good & Evil not pertaining to the ending.

So, um, of those, the only one with a special ending is Braid, and the part of the Monkey Island ending she mentions is a good moment. So maybe go play those two if you haven't.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I can watch this one without shouting spoilers and running out of the room then.

#24 Edited by CptBedlam (4479 posts) -

@stubbleman: I'm probably not going to watch the video, but what does she say about Monkey Island? Does she at least acknowledge that Elaine is the strong one in this franchise? She calls the shots, she is self-confident, she repeatedly outsmarts Guybrush whereas he makes one mistake after another, generally comes across as a dork etc.

#25 Posted by aajf (236 posts) -

@cptbedlam: That is exactly why she brings it up

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (16146 posts) -

@yummylee said:

AKA

Where did she complain about TLOU?

#27 Posted by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

Post a mirrored link. Don't give this crazy woman views.

#28 Posted by DemiGodRaven (289 posts) -

posting in future epic thread

#29 Posted by CptBedlam (4479 posts) -
@aajf said:

Hmm, so maybe I should watch it then.

#30 Edited by Nightriff (6143 posts) -

It sadly is a pick a side argument with everyone firmly on one side or the other. I continue to disagree with her on most things she says, and I feel she continues to be a hypocrite. The easy come back to her "perfect" female lead game is "why are all the conspirators men? that is sexist!" which a dumb argument against it but she does use that from time to time. And if I don't remember correctly I'm sorry but isn't Peach universally crowned as the best SMB2 character to use? I remember my sister and brother using her exclusively in beating the game, yet she seems to ignore that fact/common opinion among players.

I also think the character swapping is a poor complaint. The guy isn't a stereotype at all? Really? He was blonde, blue eyed, ripped and beautiful; stereotypical male right there.

#31 Posted by altairre (1382 posts) -

I can follow her thoughts in some ways and I even agree on a few points but the Spelunky bit...just no.

#32 Posted by RazielCuts (3057 posts) -

@falserelic: Oh, one of those on my list of 'Anime That I'll Never Get Into' because it has like 700 eps or whatever the fuck D:

#33 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@aajf said:

Hmm, so maybe I should watch it then.

I wouldn't recommend it. What I learned from watching this vid is that the presenter's style is tedious, her observations are obvious, that the attention these vids have received is probably unwarranted and that someone with so little charisma should not smirk every thirty seconds.

Anita Sarkeesian reminds me of Anne Robinson, though Robinson seems a lot more personable.

#34 Edited by aajf (236 posts) -

@cptbedlam: She only touches on it briefly. Considers it one of few games that qualifies as a parody of sexism, rather than a sexist parody, on account of Guybrush's general ineptitude. Personally I thought it helped to clarify why games that include exaggerated damsels [eg Castle Crashers] as a send up aren't quite up to snuff: it only takes a little more craft to properly subvert the trope rather than reinforcing it ironically. Anyway, that's what I got from it.

@nightriff said:

I also think the character swapping is a poor complaint. The guy isn't a stereotype at all? Really? He was blonde, blue eyed, ripped and beautiful; stereotypical male right there.

I think she meant to say that his being in need of rescuing is not reinforcing a stereotype. Visually he is certainly as much of an exaggeration of cultural expectations of masculinity as the default damsel is of expectations of femininity. There's a whole argument to be had about how those masculine expectations are the result of the same patriarchal structures that reinforce the idea of women as weak sex objects, but it's probably beyond the scope of what Anita is trying to achieve with this series.

#35 Posted by Raven10 (2044 posts) -

I've been waiting for her take on Super Princess Peach since this video series started. Both disappointed and impressed that she didn't rip it to shreds and actually managed to stay pretty professional. Other than that, I felt like this video was mostly a retread of last week just focusing more on indie games than AAA games. While a lot of people are saying she isn't doing her research she always mentions every game I think she should mention. So, yea, didn't find this video too interesting, but other than Spelunky I agreed with most of what she said.

#36 Posted by falserelic (5721 posts) -

@falserelic: Oh, one of those on my list of 'Anime That I'll Never Get Into' because it has like 700 eps or whatever the fuck D:

Its 366 episodes and some are filler that you can skip, but that's only if your interested in watching it.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14818 posts) -

she still has her awesome hoops, all I need to see.

#38 Edited by TheHT (12248 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

Its 366 episodes and some are filler that you can skip, but that's only if your interested in watching it.

I stopped watching right when they were all gonna go to the Shinigami world or whatever. Was getting good but I just lost track of it.

#39 Posted by Daneian (1306 posts) -

I just watched the entire thing and while I don't particularly agree that the damsel in distress trope is harmful to women, I also don't think so many stories need to use it as a premise.

And all i could think as i watched her and that one pair of hoop earrings she owns is that she looked as bored saying this as i felt watching her say it.

#40 Edited by BabyChooChoo (5156 posts) -

@deranged said:

I don't understand all the hate she's received. I enjoyed her videos, perhaps I disagreed with her on some points but I could understand her position.

A lot of people are just angry because, to them, she just comes off as some random person out with an obvious agenda who wants to point the finger at video games just because.

A lot of other people, and I guess this kinda ties into the first group, feel she's gone about this all wrong. They feel she came up with a thesis then went out to do the research. Generally, a thesis is supposed to be the result of research otherwise you run the risk of failing to look at the topic in an objective manner. It essentially becomes an opinion piece or editorial rather than a scientific study which was what this entire thing was supposed to be to begin with. I tend to side with this particular group of people.

#41 Edited by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

Hey cool, watching now.

EDIT: Okay. Watched, enjoyed, and will continue to mull over points presented therein.

While I didn't completely see eye-to-eye with Anita on everything she elaborated, these videos continue to be interesting.

And it's always a gas/super depressing to see all the little boys who seem to come out of the woodwork whenever their worldview is challenged by Anita's blasphemous heresy. Enjoy life more, guys. Don't take everything personally.

#42 Posted by falserelic (5721 posts) -

@theht said:

@falserelic said:

@razielcuts said:

I stopped watching right when they were all gonna go to the Shinigami world or whatever. Was getting good but I just lost track of it.

It gets better just got to keep watching it, but the fillers are pretty bad I hated the fillers, luckily for me I skipped them all.

#43 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6652 posts) -

If women hate the damsel in distress cliche so much maybe they should stop getting kidnapped by fucking monsters.

#44 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

I like the part where she thinks her game idea is original. Lol.

Yeah it is basically Prince of Persia with a female instead of a male character XD

Overall pretty weak. But nice so not even satire of this trope is ok?

#45 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@demoskinos: On twitter she called the Last of US another damsel in distress and male power fantasy game^^

#46 Posted by darkpower (102 posts) -

One of those "can never be happy" people who finds something wrong with everything they do, tries to put a "correlation equals causation" effect to EVERYTHING, says that something IS okay then denounce the very games that exemplify the exact thing she said was just two seconds ago, and tries to confuse everyone as to what they should and shouldn't like.

And let me get this straight: not one gaming news outlet in the world will call this out. Someone (maybe Forbes like last time) will praise her, she'll get publicity, and we'll have to wait until the next video to see if she gets called out finally for the clown she really is.

#47 Edited by benpicko (2016 posts) -

People still watch this?

#48 Posted by Benny (2000 posts) -

I liked Jennifer Hale's bit. Surely Shepard is a satisfactorily non-stereotypical female character in a video game, yet I don't think she got a mention.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@benpicko said:

People still watch this?

Yeah, but judging by the responses here, it seems that the fires her videos stir are beginning to wane.

#50 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@darkpower: Oh Kotaku will. They do it all the time. Ok not call her out but rather use this as a source for new articles^^