Tropes vs Women: Damsel in Distress Part 3 is out.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll witness the sadness and hostility that will consume this thread. I'll watch and wait patiently...

I have to ask: What in the world is going on in Bleach these days?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@extomar said:

@falserelic said:

I'll witness the sadness and hostility that will consume this thread. I'll watch and wait patiently...

I have to ask: What in the world is going on in Bleach these days?

Well the bleach manga is almost reaching its end, and the anime may not comeback to finish up the series, sense its been cancelled. It's rumored that the show might air a new season, but who knows. Though in the manga the story does take an interesting turn, I hope one day I can get to see it in action..

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By EXTomar

When they usually get to that stage they tend to do OAVs and movies more. But I guess I am wondering what is actually going on in the story? Basically I am wondering if they are doing anything or are stuck in a perpetual "Have they left Namek?" loop?

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be endlessly happy if the entire rest of the thread turns into a derailed "Bleach" discussion. Sadly, I have not seen a single episode; where can I watch it for cheap / free?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If women hate the damsel in distress cliche so much maybe they should stop getting kidnapped by fucking monsters.

Ha!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@lively said:

I will be endlessly happy if the entire rest of the thread turns into a derailed "Bleach" discussion. Sadly, I have not seen a single episode; where can I watch it for cheap / free?

I'm not sure if it's on any of the streaming services like Netflix, Crunchyroll, or Anime Network, but those are where I'd recommend searching first.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

When they usually get to that stage they tend to do OAVs and movies more. But I guess I am wondering what is actually going on in the story? Basically I am wondering if they are doing anything or are stuck in a perpetual "Have they left Namek?" loop?

I haven't been following the manga too much, but I've been seeing the last few chapters, Here's what I gathered..

In the story ichigo's mother is a quincy who got infected by a black hollow, inchigo's zanpakuto (zangetsu) is actually his hidden quincy powers, and zangetsu is the form of the villian that ichigo is facing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#110  Edited By Hunter5024

Actually finished it. Much better than the first video, the only criticism I thought was unfair this time was the whole Spelunky thing. I don't care how you dress it up, she said its okay to treat a guy badly but not a girl, and that's not something someone who believes in equality should say. Other than that the only complaint I have is that she needs to learn how to be concise. A lot of the things she says are redundant, and every segment drags on for far longer than it needs to, which honestly makes it kind of boring. Really a shame. Also she didn't make enough funny faces.

P.S. Did the Bleach anime ever end up adapting the final arc from the manga?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By EXTomar

The problem is though that there must be 300 or so episodes which is approximately 5 days. I'm not sure what kind of being can handle watching 5 days of Bleach.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By falserelic

@hunter5024 said:

Actually finished it. Much better than the first video, the only criticism I thought was unfair this time was the whole Spelunky thing. I don't care how you dress it up, she said its okay to treat a guy badly but not a girl, and that's not something someone who believes in equality should say. Other than that the only complaint I have is that she needs to learn how to be concise. A lot of the things she says are redundant, and every segment drags on for far longer than it needs to, which honestly makes it kind of boring. Really a shame. Also she didn't make enough funny faces.

P.S. Did the Bleach anime ever end up adapting the final arc from the manga?

The anime itself has ended, but the story is on going in the Manga..

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

The problem is though that there must be 300 or so episodes which is approximately 5 days. I'm not sure what kind of being can handle watching 5 days of Bleach.

I spent roughly a month pounding my way through the 150 or so episodes of Fist of the North Star. It left me in a very weird mental place, but if I could do that, I'm sure there's someone out there that could shotgun Bleach.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@milkman said:

Instead of arguing about this, you guys should be watching Vinny play his first game of DOTA.

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

oh no I missed that. Is that archived somewhere? twitch maybe?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: You can skip probably half of those. It has a ton of obvious filler.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lively said:

Hulu has 366 episodes, which I assume is the full run. Crunchyroll used to have everything but a couple of seasons in the middle, dunno if they still have it or not now.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: The Daily Dota is up on the site already.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Lively

the only criticism I thought was unfair this time was the whole Spelunky thing. I don't care how you dress it up, she said its okay to treat a guy badly but not a girl, and that's not something someone who believes in equality should say.

I saw a good analogy somewhere else about this: think about how it's generally a bad thing to prominently feature a black character enjoying fried chicken, while having a white character doing the same thing is a fairly neutral image. The former enforces a negative stereotype of a historically disadvantaged group, which is why it is discouraged. In the example at hand, having a "damseled" boy-toy doesn't really tie in to a prominent negative stereotype, so its existence doesn't seem quite so bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lively said:

@hunter5024 said:

the only criticism I thought was unfair this time was the whole Spelunky thing. I don't care how you dress it up, she said its okay to treat a guy badly but not a girl, and that's not something someone who believes in equality should say.

I saw a good analogy somewhere else about this: think about how it's generally a bad thing to prominently feature a black character enjoying fried chicken, while having a white character doing the same thing is a fairly neutral image. The former enforces a negative stereotype of a historically disadvantaged group, which is why it is discouraged. In the example at hand, having a "damseled" boy-toy doesn't really tie in to a prominent negative stereotype, so its existence doesn't seem quite so bad.

And yet, it's just the inverse of the more prominent version of the trope. That doesn't necessarily make it better or more acceptable. And in desiring equality, one thing you should never argue is something akin to the above (i.e.: It's not OK for women to be hurt or kidnapped, but it's OK if it happens to men).

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@amikron: oh I thought it might be a different special program instead of the usual stuff. Thanks!

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Amikron

@slag: No problem, will certainly have to give it a shot myself, Vinny always brings the fun.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lively said:

@hunter5024 said:

I don't think that's a 1:1 example. Eating fried chicken is not an inherently negative thing. Being kidnapped, useless, and in need of rescue is.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've seen this image around for a while now, but don't really know the story behind it. Anyone care to explain the origin?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By McGhee
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125  Edited By BabyChooChoo

*sigh* Not this thread has been a shining beacon of intelligent discussion on the internet or anything, but if people aren't going to post anything even remotely related to topic, I kinda wish they just wouldn't post at all. But, whatever, fuck it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: There are a dozen threads right now where people have done nothing but argue about sexism in video games. So who gives a shit?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By TheHumanDove

Anita is balls. But good for her for suckering people into giving her so much money.

NmareBfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By NmareBfly

The only point I disagreed with in this one was the Spelunky bit, but after thinking about it I don't think it's as bad an example as I did at first. You can play as a female who rescues a guy, but it's still not the default mode and oversexualizing both damsels doesn't help anyone. The fact that the gameplay mechanic is called a 'damsel' in the first place (in the option screen) is part of the problem. The dog joke really did fall flat since it's just as easy to equate the women with the chippendales, so I'm not sure that I see the intent there. The regular male PC and buxom damsels is still the default, though -- and anyone that just picks up game for a little while may well not notice the option in there to change it. That section was clumsily handled and I'd like a little more detail.

People mad that this might be taught in college classrooms: my mother's been teaching a Language and Gender class since before I can remember, and this series is far far FAR more even handed then some of the reading in curricula used extensively since even the first wave of feminism. People that call her a ~crazy feminazi~ really don't have their thresholds calibrated.

@patman99 said:

In essence, the evidence she presents, and her analysis of it, falls short of proving what I think is her intended thesis.

I think it's pretty easy to see the problem here. You can't really put words in someone's mouth then get annoyed that they're not supporting the point that you think they're trying to make. I don't believe the onus is on her to prove that the trope is damaging in the first place, or even explain how to fix it. Third sentence from the kickstarter: 'The series will highlight the larger recurring patterns and conventions used within the gaming industry rather than just focusing on the worst offenders.' That you think she should focus more on the underlying effect of the trope is a fair criticism, but it's still not good practice to assume she's failing at something she's not even trying to do.

A lot of people think that this series should be a one stop shop for all the feminist media analysis, but it really is just the tip of the iceberg and I think it's fine that she doesn't try to bite off even more of it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people think that this series should be a one stop shop for all the feminist media analysis, but it really is just the tip of the iceberg and I think it's fine that she doesn't try to bite off even more of it.

She spent three episodes of this series talking about Damsels in Distress. I'd say she's bit off more than a fair amount to relatively little end, and the trope itself is rather low-hanging fruit.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee: I fail to see how that gives any of us license to devolve each one of these into into some weird circlejerk where we all take turns making statements about how little of a fuck we give. But hey, no one gives a shit, so fuck it.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's not annoying the feminism rant that's annoying, it's the shoddy sophomore level structuralist analysis.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike Anita and disagree with so many of her points. But I also hate most of the people that are against her because a lot of them are misogynistic or ignorant and making terrible jokes about rape. I hate both sides of this ridiculous internet war. I want women to be equal, if you are truly doing anything against that then screw you, but don't just start flailing for things to point at and say "See look at all of this sexism!" It's a stretch and it makes your audience lose interest in the actual important moral quandary you are trying to pose! Gah, I'm just so tired of all the arguing on this.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@benny said:

I liked Jennifer Hale's bit. Surely Shepard is a satisfactorily non-stereotypical female character in a video game, yet I don't think she got a mention.

I'd argue not. The Mass Effect series, and this is rather endemic of Bioware, chooses to use sci-fi and society's progression within it to simply ignore anything relating to the gender of its protagonist.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with joshth on this. Even if she was a he, she'd be a fucking dumbfuck of an opinionpiece video shitter-outer using kickstarter money to pay her tuition who without work or research. Even if she was a he, she'd be best left alone and not harassed in private, leave it to making comments instead. The people backing the stuff got ripped off.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hidys said:

@lively said:

Oh GOD. To think I used to have some respect for "Thunderfoot"; you'd think he'd know not to employ straw men so blatantly.

He was so brilliant once.

I know, right? I used to respect him so much more when he was attacking religion and other things that I don't like, but then he didn't have the same opinion about something that I do, and I'm all like, "what?" I guess he's not the brilliant web personality that I thought he was, since now he doesn't agree with everything that I think.

He also clearly doesn't know to construct a debate anymore, even though before we disagreed about this subject, he was objectively a paragon of argumentative logic.

And seeing how the preceding was text written on the internet, I feel obligated to explain that yes, that was sarcasm.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Nictel

Whahahahaha, what how when, that Spelunky bit. Oh man, "even if is is the same, even if it is equal it is still not ok."

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

Whahahahaha, what how when, that Spelunky bit. Oh man, "even if is is the same, even if it is equal it is still not ok."

Let's all present my subjective opinion on female representation as fact, the video series.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By wjb

Am I high or are her earrings bigger?

Also, listing off all those indie games made me want a Quick Look of some of those games. WHERE MY QUICK LOOKS, PATRICK?!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By kishinfoulux

So how many Let's Play videos did she rip off this time? I'm guessing her games played count is still at zero.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wear a dress when I play video games so it's not sexist.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how many Let's Play videos did she rip off this time? I'm guessing her games played count is still at zero.

It's really impossible to know either way, so why bring it up as a debate point?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also isn't the Fat Princess thing based on the term "Let them eat cake" by historical princesses? And not based on LOL FAT WOMAN LOL..?

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Thanks for letting us know, I really liked the first two parts.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

It's really impossible to know either way, so why bring it up as a debate point?

Because I can?

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#145  Edited By xymox

I don't think it singles out anything of the sort. Instead of putting my focus on "a guy rescuing a girl is sexist because she's a prize/object in that scenario" I place my focus on how people like Anita are OK with attacking one of the most wonderful things we have: empathy towards each other. Empathy and caring for others as a motivator is a trope in storytelling, yes, for good reason. It caters to the fantasy of rescuing someone. Because you care about them. So I respectfully disagree with her that it's a bad thing. What that "someone" has in their pants is besides the point.

And the Spelunky thing -- I've no audio at the moment but from an earlier comment in the thread it sounded like she designed her argument to fit her goal and claiming saving a dog was basically comparing dogs to women or something? Am I understanding that correctly?

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmarebfly: Fair enough, but she starts each video stating that she will critically analyse the trope. As stated in my previous post, if she was trying to critically analyse the topic, then actually analyse it. She does a great job at pointing out games that use the trope but never really follows through on her ambitions. I am not basing my critic on my own opinion, but rather what I would base it on if she were to hand it to me as an academic paper. She never fully supports the thesis that she states that the beginning of the video. Again, the third video is better than the past two but is still underwhelming.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patman99: Congrats, you win the 'Most reasonable person in this thread' award!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lively said:

Oh GOD. To think I used to have some respect for "Thunderfoot"; you'd think he'd know not to employ straw men so blatantly.

No he has fair points. Developer use this trope to get an emotional reaction and since the people who buy videogames the most are male they will use the male and damsel in distress trope. Nothing can you get stronger emotions than to try to rescue the person you love. No matter if it is the one you love, or your children or your family. You need a cause and a motivation and this trope is an easy tool for that.

Also the part that men are general physically stronger is a fact. Why do you think we have separated women and men in sport competitions? Because we are all sexist?

What we need however is much better writing but that goes for male and female characters. Naughty Dog does a great job here and still she even accused the Last of us as a normal damsel in distress and typical male power fantasy. Nothing you will do as a developer will satisfy her unless you do it exactly as she wants.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

What we need however is much better writing but that goes for male and female characters. Naughty Dog does a great job here and still she even accused the Last of us as a normal damsel in distress and typical male power fantasy. Nothing you will do as a developer will satisfy her unless you do it exactly as she wants.

Care to provide a link to that? I must have missed that one.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The problem this video suffers even more than her previous video’s highlight just how much of a point she is desperately trying to make. There are so many problems with gender in video games, yet she ignorantly skips over those and reinforces her own opinions. Her video’s do nothing to highlight anything other than lazy/poor writing.