Trouble at Work

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

Just wanted some advice or personal experiences. So long story short, I work overnight frying at a grocery store and we do stuff for another store as well because they are too lazy to do it I assume. So I've had issues in the past just with management and the person that covered my days off not doing his job. The guy finally got fired but the management is still the same. It's donuts right so you expect the cleanest environment and equipment. Well I do my best and I'm kind of a clean freak but the equipment is shit. Fryer hasn't been filtered in months which I assume is a major health violation. There are other problems as well, lots of flies and gnats. So a while ago I had this issue where the longjohns and bismarks wouldn't proof and would have bubbles all over and when they are fried look like shit and half the time the skin will rip off in the icing. This resulted in a lot of it getting tossed as quality is a huge deal or so I was lead to believe.

This problem stopped for a few months but has come up again recently and the other day I threw away a lot and just tonight I was given my D-day for it. So this is my main concern. I had a 'help' report about a month ago for forgetting to do something and it was my understanding that there is at least 1 or 2 more steps before reaching this point and somehow I just jumped up. I was also not contacted about this before had which is what's happened in the past, to get clarity on something if there was a misunderstanding that sort of thing. I was told that the help report was not a mark against me which I think is a lie because my manager has lied to me numerous times before and right to my HR's face when we were in a meeting. I'm waiting on hearing back from another job and I think this might have something to do with that somehow. They took pictures of the bag that the stuff I tossed was in but it's just them holding the bag not even showing what was in it which doesn't prove anything, not that I denied it but just comes off as them saying I just throw everything away which is bullshit. Has anyone else had issues like this? Any help in dealing with these kinds of situations? It doesn't seem like I can do anything or defend myself and there's no clear way to challenge this. I feel like I should've refused to sign the paper.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RonGalaxy

This isn't really specific advise for your situation, but literally everyone I've known who has worked in retail has complained about it. Every single one of them has issues with other people, issues with their bosses, issues with the store itself, etc. My dad's profession all his life has been working in retail (store manager) and he's jaded and tired because of it. So all I can really say to you is... retail fucking sucks and don't get stuck in it like some people (my dad), which is easier said than done.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It sounds like you are working in a low end retail style job. Guess what, everyone who is a manager there hates life because that is probably the farthest they will ever get in it and they are out to blame it on their employees etc and abuse whatever tiny authority they have. My advice, get a new job, stat. You will never be happy being the low man on the totem pole working for an asshole.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: My notifications must be off. Yes very good advice! Working on right now. Really wish the job market was better because I'm sure there are a ton of people in my situation and it is so draining on my life force.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Start your own business. It's the only way.

Why do you think self employment has become huge in the past 5 or so years? Because corporations treat their employees like shit and don't care about you. They don't care about their managers either, but their managers have little power in life and that's bothering you- usually because their boss bothers them.

It's an endless cycle of bullshit. The only way to get away from it is to start your own business. Otherwise you'll just be in one job after another with the same problems. Unless you get lucky at some point (it does happen sometimes).

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like there's alot of bullshit to deal with to me. Like I was telling my co-worker recently. If your planning to quit make sure your hired in at another job first, before quitting. I work at a retail store too and I've seen my share of bullshit, but I can't quit it just wouldn't be wise for me.

Giving that I placed my life in a suck fest situation, my choices for jobs are limited. The consequences that came after not thinking straight back when I was a teen. Came right back to bite me when I became an adult...bit me right on the tip of the nuts too.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Yeah its just pathetic that I try to do my job and what I'm told and get in trouble for it or it really seems like they do shit to try to make me quit like messing up all my stuff so I have more work, its quite sad. I guess in a way it is my fault because I do the right thing, point out issues and don't take shit and they don't want that. They want a mindless sheep like the other guy that works on my days off. So doing the right thing gets you in the crosshairs.

There are days when I almost just walk out but yes you need a job first because there's probably a 80% chance you won't find anything. It took me about 3 months to get this job and this was a last resort because I knew the HR. It doesn't help that the job market here sucks because we actually have low unemployment. Nebraska if you're wondering. Didn't have much luck in Iowa either before I moved back here. I'd also love to chat with others about getting wrongfully fired and how they just get away scot-free with it. I'm sure that a ton of people have had that experience. How long have you been at the current job if you don't mind telling?

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wjb

Unfortunately, it's everywhere. When you start working at those types of jobs, you're always amazed that the company hasn't imploded yet.

It's the luck of the draw to find management who show a sense of understanding. All those people might've had the privilege to go to college at some point and graduate, but hardly bothered to do anything with the degree. It's either be a manager at a store or sell insurance.

It's easier to blame the employee than take responsibility for oneself.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@falserelic: Yeah its just pathetic that I try to do my job and what I'm told and get in trouble for it or it really seems like they do shit to try to make me quit like messing up all my stuff so I have more work, its quite sad. I guess in a way it is my fault because I do the right thing, point out issues and don't take shit and they don't want that. They want a mindless sheep like the other guy that works on my days off. So doing the right thing gets you in the crosshairs.

There are days when I almost just walk out but yes you need a job first because there's probably a 80% chance you won't find anything. It took me about 3 months to get this job and this was a last resort because I knew the HR. It doesn't help that the job market here sucks because we actually have low unemployment. Nebraska if you're wondering. Didn't have much luck in Iowa either before I moved back here. I'd also love to chat with others about getting wrongfully fired and how they just get away scot-free with it. I'm sure that a ton of people have had that experience. How long have you been at the current job if you don't mind telling?

I had some advice but that Nebraska part probably kills it. I inspect fishing vessels for a living. I've been to maybe 25 different ports in the past two years. I can tell you that at just about every one you would be able to find a job without even doing an interview. They are just that desperate for workers on the docks. One place I know has multiple employees who have done time for manslaughter. The manager told me it's their best workers. Since they live in a halfway house and have a curfew they are all too willing to work late and really need the job.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started in November so I think 11 months. Hell I remeber when I first made my blog about it. At that time I was nervous, but that feeling is long gone...just dead. So much bullshit happened over the course of time my mind became oblivious. I became a great employee, but what happened was I got more responsibility.

Recently I did get a certificate at my job. Some customer (that I don't remeber) wrote something good about me to the company. Next thing I know my supervisor took me to the center aisle, and I got greeted by a group of people and was handed a certificate. It felt good for a moment, but working as a grocery clerk fucking sucks. The pay sucks and the responsibility sucks even more. The more I work the more I realize how much I hate this job.

My co-worker that worked there for 26 years warned me. He told me to get out while I still can. Join the army or find something better then this shit. He's 58 years old and makes 16 dollars an hour, he told me to just let what he said settle in my mind for abit. Fuck that shit I'm going to find something better then this. I'm using this job as a stepping stone to reach higher goals.

Even though my life isn't in a good state right now. I will say while I'm still living I will make something better out of it.

spartica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spartica

Think about starting a business. Save up some money, talk to some local business owners and start developing a plan. It's better to try and potentially fair hard than live a life of mediocrity as a retail slave. Also, it'll help your sanity knowing that your work and experience is working toward a larger goal and this job is just a stop gap.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frymillstrum
Loading Video...

Retail turns people into assholes. I've worked in 2 newsagents and the managers act like its genuinely the end of the world if the goddamn mop bucket isn't filled up to the exact right level or you leave 5c on top of the register for a few moments rather than put it in the tray straight away. I often felt like The Joker when he's talking to Harvey Dent in TDK. "Everyone loses their minds!" People losing their shit over the smaller things.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't really specific advise for your situation, but literally everyone I've known who has worked in retail has complained about it. Every single one of them has issues with other people, issues with their bosses, issues with the store itself, etc. My dad's profession all his life has been working in retail (store manager) and he's jaded and tired because of it. So all I can really say to you is... retail fucking sucks and don't get stuck in it like some people (my dad), which is easier said than done.

I've got to agree with Ron here. I've worked retail in a grocery store and food service for a combined 8 years when I was younger. It can be soul sucking and terrible at times. I still have nightmares about those jobs to this day. It's all about the environment you work in. Now working at a University, I've found peace with my job. It's fantastic, keeps me on my toes and always learning, but more importantly: Everyone I work with is more laid back and forgiving. I wish everyone finds or creates a job that makes them happy to wake up in the morning and go to work.

Working retail isn't all bad though. It allowed me to learn better people skills, and how to work well with others even if you really hate them. It can be useful for future prospects.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Jesus that sounds rough. That is what I see as well, guys that are in there mid 40-50's still doing a job that years ago is considered a stepping stone to higher places and they still make shit. I hope you get something better than it because it is shit, retail is terrible to work in. I've got two job leads going right now, interviews on both. One I'm still trying to follow up with but the guy is never around when I call the other is a government job and I'm still waiting on my background to get completed which has been about 3 months now.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spartica said:

Think about starting a business. Save up some money, talk to some local business owners and start developing a plan. It's better to try and potentially fair hard than live a life of mediocrity as a retail slave. Also, it'll help your sanity knowing that your work and experience is working toward a larger goal and this job is just a stop gap.

Yeah it's a cool idea but I don't see it working out. I don't know anything about doing it and I'd assume I'd have to take some management classes and such. I have a grander plan than this. I want to get into some kind of engineering, maybe robotics but I need to go to school and I simply can't do this on this overnight schedule that is eroding my life away. I just need something steady I can work with, get my debt paid and then work on that plan.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sinusoidal

I've worked my fair share of shit jobs where management consists of abject morons because they're the only ones who hung around long enough to get the position. Unless you desperately need the money, or are otherwise somehow attached to your position, quit the bloody thing and move on. That's the thing about shit jobs, they're a dime a dozen. Eventually - if you're lucky or you decide to make it happen - you'll find one that isn't shit.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal:

Yeah that's the thing though, the potentials I have haven't played out yet so I can't quit yet. Believe me I want to. I think I'd just quit and not even give notice because its that bad. Curious what other peoples stances are on giving notice or not. Personally I don't trust this fuck to even be truthful to give another employer truthful information, not to mention they're already trying to push me out by writing me up on false accusations which just makes it even more scummy.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to revive this but thought I'd update this. Got a new job and start next week. Thank fucking god. Thanks for the advice and if anyone knows a good place to submit employee feedback on a job I thought about doing that. Better Business Bureau?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@masterbrief: when you put in your two weeks they usually follow suit with some sort of outro-interview. You can usually voice your opinion there, I recommend to just remember it's still a job oppurtunity and probably keep the comments professional yet constructive.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@masterbrief: I just learned about this site this summer: glassdoor.com Basically a Yelp for reviewing workplaces. You can warn future employees of the working situation there.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I think I have that bookmarked. I'll try that out.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Never heard of that. Im not sure how I could express stuff without it being just like bitching since my concerns are so bluntly employee mistreatment and complete lack of getting things done/doing their job.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@masterbrief: It happens man, what @galacticpunt suggested using glass door is a great site for reviews on businesses but I find it's usually used for some of the larger companies out there.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've immediately went to Glass door to see how my employers are doing. Not great.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is difficult to give advice without knowing the retailer. I've been working retail 16 years which is before I could drive until now. And Im at, wink wink, gloam repo.

Biggest thing is do you have, lets say a corporate crew, sales team, anyone that visits your store ? The trickle down is making sure money spent on that equipment is earning the company money. Your shitty botfly donuts is not good use.

Again, it is important to have all your ducks in a row, your complaints be documented even just by you, etc etc.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26 sweep  Moderator

Just as basic rules, if you feel like you're being treated unfairly or incorrectly then you should address it in a way that you can reference later. Avoid having a face to face chat or, if you do, back it up by repeating what you talked about in an email. If you're told something by your boss then quote him in a message and forward it to HR. Even if it's wrong it means they have a record of it and they can't deny it ever happened. Otherwise you get into this "their word against mine" bullshit which is just a headache.

At the very least this way if they try and dumb shit you're in a stronger position legally.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

File a complaint with a health department and bring the whole place down with you.