Trouble at Work

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

This is just a thread about something that happened when I was working at GameStop a few weeks ago. I recently heard my manager had been thinking about firing me. Apparently, I had questioned him as a manager, and had said he was late (in front of a customer) on the day of the DSi release. From what I remember, there was a small problem when I first got there. I was ringing up a customer, but not enough singles were in the register so he (the customer) had to wait 10 minutes for our safe to open.

I do know that I had asked if he (the manager) was supposed to fill the drawers before opening the store. This was when he was pulling money from the safe. He said yes. I didn't say this in a smug manner either, but I guess it's an obvious answer if I had thought about it. The customer was waiting on the other side of the counter, but I didn't ask this question loud at all. Now the part I don't remember is where I said he was late. How could I know he was late? I arrive at the time the store opens, he arrives 30 minutes earlier. I gave the customer his singles and apologized for the wait.

Again, going back to me having heard this from another employee. Well my manager also said he wanted to punch me in the face right on the spot. I'd call corporate, which they would then contact my district manager to take care of the situation. But my district manager is also a big douche.

So I just wanted to know, from you guys, if I was out of order in my actions.

Some fun things to note about my manager...

• ...usually brings two bottles of pop at work. Nobody needs that much sugar in a single shift.
  • ...is a domestic abuser. (According to him, he attempted to hit his girlfriend but she beat him up. She took martial arts.)
  • ...brought a part-timer from another store just because they are butt-buddies. Despite us having a full staff. (Already mentioned this before.)
  • ...has a ponytail.
  • ...smells like B.O.
  • ...is a smartass, a jackass, and a fatass.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By RichardLOlson
This guy sounds like an asshole, but to your question as to if you were out of line.  I say NO.  I mean as a manager, he needs to set a good example for the other employees.  As far as him stating his business at home, I would personal bring that up to the higher ups.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Sounds like a total douchebag. Especially if he's shit-talking about you to other employees behind your back. Reeeeal manager material right there. If he fires you, you probably have more than enough on him to fuck him over. And if he's butt-buddies with Regional, well, that's when you buy some spraypaint.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Considering that you are bad mouthing him online, behind his back.  Maybe you had the remark coming.  It was just the straw that broke... you know.  You two don't get along.  I suggest pizza combos and sweet tea.

Yeah he was out of line, threatening you like that.  Even if he is being passive aggressive about it.  But going over his head can be tricky.  Do any other employee's feel he is a problem?  Can they back you up?  If you go over him, might not be a good idea to go alone.  "Does he make you or any other employee's uncomfortable, young man?"

Going over his head is straight up trying to get him fired or in major trouble.  Your name will be on the record too.  I suggest manning up and talking with him face to face, while keeping the snide remarks at a minimum.

But what the fuck do I know about employee, employer relationships?  I'v been fired for taking a couple guys off the store property, for lunch and bringing them back high on crack and pot.  How the hell was I supposed to know they were crackheads?  How was I supposed to know that apartment wasn't theirs and they just broke in? 

Just don't buy mattresses from places who build them in the back.  ;)  Good luck with the pony tail tough guy.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Alexander

Go find another job.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak
Alexander said:
"Go find another job."
I don't think it's that simple, you should stick with your job if you can.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Tireyo

Interesting manager. :D

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolverine

Your manger seems like a dick. Similar to most managers I have ever seen at game stop. Especially the B.O.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I dunno what trade unions are like in the US, but if I was advising someone here in the UK about these problems, the first thing I would say would be to join a union, because they will be able to provide advise on what to do in situations where your boss is being an ass. And if you do get fired unfairly, they would provide you with all the support you needed to sue them for unfair dismissal.

Snaughice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Snaughice
Vinchenzo said:
  • ...has a ponytail.

I laughed ..hard
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike
Vinchenzo said:
  • ...usually brings two bottles of pop at work. Nobody needs that much sugar in a single shift.
  • ...is a domestic abuser. (According to him, he attempted to hit his girlfriend but she beat him up. She took martial arts.)
  • ...brought a part-timer from another store just because they are butt-buddies. Despite us having a full staff. (Already mentioned this before.)
  • ...has a ponytail.
  • ...smells like B.O.
  • ...is a smartass, a jackass, and a fatass.
"
I think you just described every Gamestop manager that I've ever had the displeasure of encountering.
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Coltonio7

Damn dude, that's a lot of negatives. This is where Gamestop gets there reputation I guess.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

Honestly, the ratio of "Gamestop manager-total dicks" to "kind of cool nice guy manager" has to be about 50-50. The closest store to mine had one of the coolest guys I've ever known for a manager, but the one i was working for was a lazy ass that sat in the back of the store all day and simply had "his peons" re-arrange the games on the shelves all day in different orders. So I know what you're feeling. And to think that this manager GOT PROMOTED!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

hehe  You called it "pop".  Ya damn Yankee!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
jakob187 said:
"hehe  You called it "pop".  Ya damn Yankee!"
Shit man, we don't call it pop up here. That's Wisconsin-level stuff.