#1 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I have some good sites that i read some what on a regular basis. Such as the huffintonpost, bbc, npr, and a few others. Anyone have some good recommendations of good news sources/poltical information outlets? Any help would be useful. No drudge report crap either. Or media matters...those are blatantly biased...lol. 

#2 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

al jazeera

#3 Posted by Turambar (6890 posts) -

Pretty much all forms of media outlets and news sites have some degree of bias to them.  It is important not to simply dismiss something for being biased, but rather reading enough coming from all sides to gain some semblance of the full picture.  Sources like Al Jazeera is good for a less passioned view on American politics.  But sources with more familiar biases like Washington post, NY Times, and Wall Street Journal are also important because of the familiarity with which you can discern a central truth or viewpoint.  If you can find a Chinese news outlet that broadcasts in english, that'd be great too though I don't think Sino Vision has one right now.

#4 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Depending upon where you are (ie in univeristy or not) the Financial Times is the best pure news source there is.  It covers things is depth that no one else does.  But it can be expensive.

#5 Edited by Nate (705 posts) -
@Pibo47 said:

" I have some good sites that i read some what on a regular basis. Such as the huffintonpost, bbc, npr, and a few others. Anyone have some good recommendations of good news sources/poltical information outlets? Any help would be useful. No drudge report crap either. Or media matters...those are blatantly biased...lol.  "

I think BBC and NPR are top notch, but another one I like is the Atlantic Monthly. It may have a slight liberal leaning (from what I've heard), but like Turambar said - you'll find bias pretty much anywhere. THe nice thing about Atlantic monthly is they have a website, or you can get a subscription for REALLY cheap on certain websites. Just google cheap magazines.
#6 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (264 posts) -

I would stay away from news and other mass media. They will generally tell you only a small part of the actual truth. If you really want to get more informed, check out more academic sites. Something like http://www.cfr.org/ is good if you are interested in international topics. If you are looking for information about a more specific location or topics, there are other academic sites that focus on them as well.

#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

The Young Turks is ok, I guess.

#8 Edited by cnlmullen (895 posts) -

From easy to hardcore:

1. Watch the Daily Show
  2. Keep track of headlines from the CSMonitor (great for international stories, and short concise stories on American Politics), the New York Times, and the Washington Post.
  3. Listen to the Left, Right and Center Podcast.
  4. Bloggingheads.tv is an awesome site for learning about current events, politics, economics and philosophy. Bloggingheads is to politics what GiantBomb is to games (experts chatting). 
#9 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Alex Jones. He's crazy, but often more right than people would like to admit.

Besides, he's just so goddamn entertaining. No one can rant like this dude.

#10 Edited by beej (1674 posts) -
@Laketown said:

" al jazeera "

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Uh, that video doesn't sound like a good way to get informed. It seems like he could talk about the constitutionality of photography and how it's totally appropriate to photograph anything where there isn't a reasonable expectation of privacy. That sounds like something that might be informative compared to someone screaming about how they're gonna put the old order against the wall figuratively.

#11 Posted by skinnyman (186 posts) -

If you want to be truly informed, you have to read opinions from both sides. What you call "blatantly biased" really refers to people with a strong opinion simply being honest about where it comes from. I think that a lot of political commentators try to hide their political beliefs under the guise of being "balanced" or "centrist." If you depend exclusively on them, you are just exchanging an open bias for a hidden agenda, with which news and politics can be manipulated by omission of stories/facts, wording nuances, and other nefarious means.

I assume you are talking about becoming informed about specifically U.S. politics, in which case I recommend RealClearPolitics.com. The site indexes opinion pieces each day which range from far left to far right and everything in between. It also tracks the most current polls if there is an upcoming election. It sometimes makes for heavy reading, but if you truly want to be better informed, that's what it's going to take. Nothing comes easy, and education, even when it's free, means work.

#12 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -
@Pibo47 said:
" I have some good sites that i read some what on a regular basis. Such as the huffintonpost, bbc, npr, and a few others. Anyone have some good recommendations of good news sources/poltical information outlets? Any help would be useful. No drudge report crap either. Or media matters...those are blatantly biased...lol.  "
And those aren't blatantly biased?