#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

So I am trying to get into Dungeons & Dragons...not the video games, the pencil and paper RPG's. I have friends who play it and was curious and want to give it a try. Where would anyone recommend me to start. As I have no idea what it's all about, as I have never played a pencil and paper rpg.
#2 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Snap the pencil, burn the paper grab a beer and remark on how you dodged a bullet.

#3 Posted by HB (103 posts) -
#4 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
Buying a player's handbook and reading it, then getting used to the complex rule systems. Maybe D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder would be the way to go, but it depends on what your friends play of course.
#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

This is all you need to know. 
#6 Posted by Mmmslash (2171 posts) -
@PainGod89:  Go out and buy the D&D 4th Edition Player's Handbook. All the complexity that folks used to talk about D&D in ye' olde' days is practically gone. At this point, D&D is kind of like World of Warcraft the tabletop game. Each class has a role, and things are structured around that. Way back when, things were a lot more freeform, but now it's just a matter of learning specific rules and applying them to situations.

Also, D&D gets fucking expensive, man.
#7 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @PainGod89:  Go out and buy the D&D 4th Edition Player's Handbook. All the complexity that folks used to talk about D&D in ye' olde' days is practically gone. At this point, D&D is kind of like World of Warcraft the tabletop game. Each class has a role, and things are structured around that. Way back when, things were a lot more freeform, but now it's just a matter of learning specific rules and applying them to situations.  Also, D&D gets fucking expensive, man. "

I saw this 20$ box that said D&D Starter Kit at BooksAMillion. I was going to get it, but I didn't see anything that said what rules it is. How do I find that out? Or, is that box a good choice for a starter noob?
#8 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -
#9 Posted by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @PainGod89:  Go out and buy the D&D 4th Edition Player's Handbook. All the complexity that folks used to talk about D&D in ye' olde' days is practically gone. At this point, D&D is kind of like World of Warcraft the tabletop game. Each class has a role, and things are structured around that. Way back when, things were a lot more freeform, but now it's just a matter of learning specific rules and applying them to situations.  Also, D&D gets fucking expensive, man. "

Ugh I hate the 4e ruleset so much. Basically you should go and find out what ruleset your friends are playing, and then proceed to go out and buy the players handbook for that ruleset, and then read it from cover to cover.

Think about the kind of character you would enjoy playing, then build that character as best you can within the rules of the game, if there are any minor changes you want to make outside of the rules, talk to the DM and see what he says.

If your friends are playing with 4e rules.... I feel sorry for you.
#10 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
"  
  This is all you need to know.  "

DUDE THAT WAS BEYOND AWESOME! If this is what pencil and paper RPG's are all about then sign me up.
#11 Edited by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

You said your friends play it so probably start by asking them if you can play a game. To help you go in knowing what to expect though I can't recommend listening to the Penny Arcade DnD podcasts they did a while back where they just recorded themselves playing the game enough. Not only is it entertaining as fuck, but by the time you are done listening to it all you will have a pretty good grasp of how to play the game. Start with season one/two/three as they use the same characters and they make call backs and jokes to the first time around. I didn't care for season four at all as they used some other DnD like game iirc, but the first two are classic. 

But ya, the first two seasons are 4th edition rule set I do believe, so listening to all of those will be a great primer to getting you into the game. I have never played a game of DnD in my life as I have never had any friends to play it with or the money to buy all the books, but by the time I was done listing to those I could have probably jumped right into a game and hold me own.

Also, don't read the little comics they have until you listen to the podcast as they spoil what happens in the story. Too many of those moments are too priceless to have them spoiled.

#12 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

OH YEAH! I also heard you have to have a license to actually DM in that game. Is that a lie? If not, then how do you get one?
#13 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Definitely get into 4.0 version. I'm playing a Half-Elf Cleric and it's a lot easier than the previous editions because you don't have to worry about "spells per day".

#14 Posted by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Definitely get into 4.0 version. I'm playing a Half-Elf Cleric and it's a lot easier than the previous editions because you don't have to worry about "spells per day". "

BOO THIS MAN!
#15 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Huey2k2 said:
" @ch13696 said:
" Definitely get into 4.0 version. I'm playing a Half-Elf Cleric and it's a lot easier than the previous editions because you don't have to worry about "spells per day". "
 BOO THIS MAN! "
Lol, Ok let me rephrase what I say. If you're able to keep track of your entire character and you play once a week then any version would be great for you. But, for someone like me that plays either once a month or every other week, I can't keep track of everything. Back when I was in high school, about 8 years ago 3.0 was a Godsend. As you get older and more busy in life, you're going to need something more simplified.
#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
#17 Posted by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @Huey2k2 said:
" @ch13696 said:
 BOO THIS MAN! "
Lol, Ok let me rephrase what I say. If you're able to keep track of your entire character and you play once a week then any version would be great for you. But, for someone like me that plays either once a month or every other week, I can't keep track of everything. Back when I was in high school, about 8 years ago 3.0 was a Godsend. As you get older and more busy in life, you're going to need something more simplified. "

I am older and busy but I still have a game me and my friends run once every 2 weeks and I am more than able to keep track of my 3.5e character, we all are.
#18 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

#19 Edited by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@PainGod89: Dude, just ask your friends if you can sit in when they play, that's all you need to start.  They'll let you borrow their books and explain what's happening, help you roll up a character, let you borrow some dice.  Any good players are always willing to help a "noob" out unlike online mmos. 

edit: A pencil, and maybe a legal pad is  all you really need your first week to get a taste.
#20 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Huey2k2 said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Huey2k2 said:
" @ch13696 said:
 BOO THIS MAN! "
Lol, Ok let me rephrase what I say. If you're able to keep track of your entire character and you play once a week then any version would be great for you. But, for someone like me that plays either once a month or every other week, I can't keep track of everything. Back when I was in high school, about 8 years ago 3.0 was a Godsend. As you get older and more busy in life, you're going to need something more simplified. "
 I am older and busy but I still have a game me and my friends run once every 2 weeks and I am more than able to keep track of my 3.5e character, we all are. "
I don't know how 3.5 is because I skipped that. Besides you guys probably been playing 3.5 for awhile. I played 3.0 in my high school days and just last year got back in with 4.0. 
#21 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I'll end up being a noob for a while. lol
#22 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

You actually want to be labelled a pathetic nerd for the rest of your life? 

Some people...

#23 Posted by Kiemoe (1058 posts) -

Well what ruleset do your friends play? I'd get a player's handbook of that ruleset and  after reading up on that, sit in on your friend's game to get a feel for it. Once you do that, you should be experienced enough to just hop into their campaign (if they don't mind)

#24 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

I've been asked to play a few times by some work friends. It seems like it could be a good time once or twice, but I wouldn't want to get super deep into it as I just don't have the time.

@MysteriousBob said:

" You actually want to be labelled a pathetic nerd for the rest of your life?  Some people... "

I know right. You're probably too busy having sex with girls and going to parties to be able to play a game that uses your imagination. That's just fucking stupid right?

Same thing could be said about those that play video games. Of course if you play COD or Halo that's okay because cool people play those.
#25 Edited by Warchief (661 posts) -
@PainGod89 said:

" So I am trying to get into Dungeons & Dragons...not the video games, the pencil and paper RPG's. I have friends who play it and was curious and want to give it a try. Where would anyone recommend me to start. As I have no idea what it's all about, as I have never played a pencil and paper rpg. "

Here are two Suggestions to get into D&D based on 4th Edition rules:  

1. Castle Ravenloft [this is a D&D boardgame that is a good entry point]  http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/207790000 
2. Pick up the new "Red Box" starter set  http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/244660000
#26 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -
@Warchief:
I'm already sold on the Red Dox...I'll look into Castle Ravenloft as well.
#27 Posted by LiquidPrince (16185 posts) -

Don't do it.

#28 Edited by bcc (85 posts) -

D&D is fun. Don't be discouraged by the people who think it makes you a loser. In the end it's just about getting together with some friends, BSing around a table, and having fun killing stuff. 

And a single session of D&D will spawn inside jokes that you'll remember for years.

#29 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

I've been playing for the better part of seven years. Both 3.5 and 4e. 

Do you know what kind of games you're looking to play in? I recommended 3.5 if you're looking to join a long campaign, since the character possibilities are endless. 4e excels in quick, one-off adventure games.

#30 Posted by takua108 (1483 posts) -

Get the D&D Essentials Red Box. It's like $35 and the perfect intro to D&D. Grab four friend and this bad boy and you'll have a great introductory D&D campaign.

#31 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I wish they sold friends in boxes so I could buy them and play DnD with them... (sad face)