Trying to start up an indie XBLA studio. Interested?

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By turbo_toaster

I think we've all looked at the indie section of the XBLA and thought we could make something half decent, certainly something to contend with what's out there right now. I strongly believe in my abilities as a Cartoonist to carry the visuals of a simple 2D side-scroller with spunk and character. There's no story written yet as I envisioned that being something we can all do as a team.

I may be a little bit naive as I don't quite know what goes into making one of these, and obviously we'll need to spend some moolah on XNA (I'm prepared to invest in this if we get a good team together). I'm not too well versed on the technical aspect of things and thus am not entirely sure what programs are necessary, etc. Again we're in the early stages of setting this up.

Bottom Line: If you know how to program a simple 2D side-scroller, drop a link here or fire an e-mail off to me at turbotoasterstudios [at] gmail.com  

=D

- Kat

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah...  I think you're being a little too naive/ambitious about this.  Although, I'm pessimistic so it could just be that.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

You have my axe.

Kidding aside, I've programmed a fair deal before, never a videogame before though. I'm gonna research it a bit, ask a few of my friends who are into this stuff, and give you a more definite answer.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've actually done quite a bit of XNA on my video games programming course, sadly I don't have the time available to program another game on top of my current work. I wish you the best of luck though and with your art skills behind the project Turbo_Toaster I'm sure we'll be seeing an Xbox Live indie game with very nice graphics.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA

I suggest making a faux-retro game, as I love that style. Either that, or a beautifully designed game, e.g. Fishing Girl, as I'm a sucker for those type of games.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Who's the Giant Bomb user who actually released an XNA game?  Something like the_hamst3r or something... (animal with headphones for an avatar).  You could ask him for tips on what you should do, maybe he could even help you with some of the audio/music.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Dalai

So Lincoln Force can be a real game? Sign me up! 

On second thought, don't sign me up... I don't know shit about how to develop or create a game.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By duderbattalion

Lol .. man .. we should totally make lincoln force. And then send it to Ryan !

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hatking

I totally agree your artistic ability would be far superior to anything I see in the indie games.  If you can get a decent team together I'd be very interested in seeing how it turned out.  

I'd offer my skills but I don't think film directing/script writting is anything to offer a game developer... at least not for an indie game. :/
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I'd reeeeeally like to help, but sadly I happen to have zero skill in practically everything to do with everything.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By artofwar420

I can do 3d models. I'd love to halp.

... oh god, is this happening? Lincoln Force?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By thatfrood

I looked into it more, I'm confident in my handle on C#, I would just have to get acclimated to XNA and the whole idea of developing a game, but otherwise, I am totally up for this.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Coombs

It can be done,
XNA is not super complex and I don't think your being over ambitious, though planning before jumping right in is needed.
I'm not a programming whiz but I'd be happy to run ideas, do bug testing, whatever

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By apathylad

So, what's the plan? Giantbomb: The Video Game? Maybe it should be like Final Fight, except you beat up bad video game characters. :P

Or, there's always Lincoln Force.

Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Hmph,if i didn't already start a multiplatform indie company  just months before i would totally do this!

/Sarcasm(though my indie sh!t really exists :)!)

EDIT:Sorry for being a jackass,i really would sign up ^^

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Turbo_Toaster: Blah! I wish I was more skilled at programming to be useful to you!

I think whatever you make will be totally badass, can't wait to see some of that art in game form.

I will happily buy the game when its finished, so good luck!
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Emilio

I do not know how to program, but I would love to join.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shirogane

I've done XNA, and would be glad to help out with any programming stuff you need. 
That said, C# and C++ are an annoyance to switch between. So many memory leaks... 
So don't expect me to be a great amount of help. 

The stuff you'll need is Visual C#/Visual Studio and XNA Game Studio 3.0. (I think 3.0 is the latest) 

2D is quite simple and fairly easy. 3D is much harder and more annoying, just because of that extra dimension, among other stuff.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By Atlas

I have no idea how to code or program, but I'd love to be involved in a game. My only real contribution could be as an ideas man, maybe help design levels, create concepts, and I'm very good at story telling and dialogue if that is needed. I'm also willing to learn about programming if necessary.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

I've got programming experience, but I'd only want to get involved in something like this (with other people counting on me) if I knew I could dedicate enough time to it. Sadly, that's not the case.

Best of luck to you, Turbo_Toaster. Art of your caliber is definitely lacking from the current offering of Xbox Live Indie Games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

I can't say that I'm much of a programmer, but I'm pretty fucking amazing at other things.  Writing, creative design...hell, if I had the money to invest, I'd be more than willing to be a producer. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, but I would love to be involved if at all possible...just for the hell of doing something worthwhile for once.

So does this mean Lincoln F.O.R.C.E. is going to happen? 

I mean, seriously...let's just do it!!!

Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Th3dz

I've been using XNA for about 2 years and I'm right now developing a side scrolling action game. I've completed another project with XNA which was a shoot 'em up and I'm quite ambitious about my projects... From the sound of it you don't know anything about programming, which is a large part about making a game. So you should learn some C# basics first and then move on to some simple stuff like Pong. Do you have anything that you can show of your artwork?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crusader8463
@Turbo_Toaster:
I actually have been a part of building a game before, and based on my limited experience,making a game from nothing is not as hard as you may think it is, assuming you get one or two good programmers and are willing to dedicate most of your free time to the art. It all comes down to whom you have for your programmers and how much time they are willing to lose of their life to make it work. I was in charge of the user interface and level design for the game we made in college and i didn't have to put a tenth of the time the programmers had to put into getting even the simplest of things made. Don't get me wrong here, the art side of making a game is tons of hard work; not to mention frustrating as hell trying to come up with designs and rough sketches after rough sketches, but programming is very time consuming.

If you get things going and want someone to work on the user interface send me a message, I would love to help ya. Ever since my time working on that game in college i have discovered a weird love of making UI for games. I have even gone so far as to find myself randomly sitting with photoshop open doing random mock ups on ways i would improve a game I'm playings UI or just flat out making one up for non existent games. lol
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jadeskye

Lincoln force needs to be done!

Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3dz
@crusader8463 said:
" @Turbo_Toaster: I actually have been a part of building a game before, and based on my limited experience,making a game from nothing is not as hard as you may think it is, assuming you get one or two good programmers and are willing to dedicate most of your free time to the art. It all comes down to whom you have for your programmers and how much time they are willing to lose of their life to make it work. I was in charge of the user interface and level design for the game we made in college and i didn't have to put a tenth of the time the programmers had to put into getting even the simplest of things made. Don't get me wrong here, the art side of making a game is tons of hard work; not to mention frustrating as hell trying to come up with designs and rough sketches after rough sketches, but programming is very time consuming.  If you get things going and want someone to work on the user interface send me a message, I would love to help ya. Ever since my time working on that game in college i have discovered a weird love of making UI for games. I have even gone so far as to find myself randomly sitting with photoshop open doing random mock ups on ways i would improve a game I'm playings UI or just flat out making one up for non existent games. lol "
UI is fun indeed! And programming doesn't have to be super time consuming. The important part is to plan everything before jumping into coding, the overlaying structure and architecture of the program is very important if you want a fluid workflow when programming. But yes, it can take a lot of time :P
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By Atlas

Also, as an addendum to my earlier post, anyone who needs financial backing on a games project should talk to me. I've got a bit of spare cash that I wouldn't mind putting to good use.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shirogane

For some reason, having a person named Atlas with a bioshock avatar, offer you money seems a bit scary... 
Granted, i didn't actually finish the game... 

In my experience, the artists have to do a lot more work, and put a lot more time in than programmers. See, artists actually work, programmers spend most of their time slacking off, or putting random values in random bits of code just to see what it does. 
Oh, and fixing link errors that don't tell you what's wrong...
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scrawnto
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GunnBjorn

Damn, i can't help you since i don't know squat about even the simplest of programming. 
So why bother posting, you might say? 
Well, as some stated before, i can support you by buying the finished product or maybe... if you have/open up a PayPal account i'm willing to donate some pecunia. 
By no means am i a rich guy, but if some GiantBombers and other people are interested to impart a small amount, you could collect a tidy sum to (partially) finance this project. 
I've been 'following' you for a few months now and i've seen the hard labour you've put in in making it as an artist in preferably(?) the gaming industry. 
I so, so, so want this to work for you!
Good luck.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By RobotHamster

Don't really know how to program but I know a bit about 3d modeling and a bit about texturing, but I'm learning more and more.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sjupp

I curse my programming-teacher for not having game oriented classes.. I so would want to do this.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tebbit

I'll make you an awesome theme tune on Fruityloops, but thats about it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusader8463
@Th3dz: Ya, well our programmers where still learning how to do the stuff as we went along so I'm sure that didn't help the situation much. They were always talking about how they needed to know how to do certain things but that they were not going to be taught how to do it for months. So that can kind of slowed down the programming side of things just a bit. In the last couple months they where able to accomplished more then they did the whole year once the stupid professors got around to teaching them everything they needed to know. lol
thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thebatmobile

If this is happening, you need to bring Lincoln Force to life. Just use the forums for story, interface and feature stuff.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

I just want to agree that Lincoln FORCE needs to be made. I have actually been trying to make a Zune game on XNA recently but haven't even had time to do that. Wish I could help.   : (

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By sweep  Moderator

i'm a computer animator with a (very) basic understanding of C++, Python and OpenGL. No idea if that's going to be helpful in any way. 

You should talk to chaser324, or at least check out the dev blogs for the awesome Ice Cube beat-em-up he is making.

Flinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Flinty

I'm pretty families with Photoshop if you need anything, I'd love to help out. Websites, interface... anything as I've got a chunk of free time.

DjTann3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DjTann3r

I can be much help writing story and as an experienced musician, supplying any music needed. I have recording gear and the whole shabang. Would love to be a part of this. PM me if needed. 
EDIT: i will also add to the finances. and i know a fair deal of photoshop/illustrator.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By turbo_toaster

Wow I got a lot more responses than I expected to. I'm going through some application messages and things, still figuring stuff out. I don't believe that donations will be necessary (but holy cow that's generous of you guys to offer). I'm really hoping this happens and if it does the only thing I'd like to see from you peeps is to buy and play it.

One thing I've determined at this point is that it's not going to be a Lincoln Force game, or Giant Bomb related. But one thing I can promise is that it'll be goofy, colourful, and (depending on your tastes) humorous.  I'll do me best to get something half decent rolling. Thanks guys!

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By BinaryDragon
@Turbo_Toaster: I'm in, I have skills as a writer, musician and as a Voice Actor.  

Acting probably being the strongest of those three, as that's what i do for a living. which seems to work. Hey I have a roof over my head don't i?
ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ascholzk

i have little skills in programming, but am willing to help in some way or another. 
also if there is some sort of fund towards it, i could donate

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shirogane
@BinaryDragon:
Fully voiced XBLA XNA game? Hell yes! 

Actually, i don't remember how to do sound in XNA...
aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By aaox

Lincoln. Force.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By knoxt

If this project gets somewhere and you need a serious 2D animator (grad.), I'm def. down for helpin' out. Animation is a big task and to do it all by yourself is asking for crapsville. I can mimic styles fairly easily if that is preferred. Cheers!