Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

It's halfway through the year, so let me share with you (and you share with me) a list of things that I've been enjoying all this year. But only if you hit the reply button and also share about things that you like enough to call it the "best". Deal?

Video Games

I really can't say that I've been pleased with video games this year. Every time I go out of my way to check out a big release, it ends up being a dissapointment (I'm looking at you, Max Payne 3). I haven't been able to try out smaller stuff like Dragon's Dogma or Asura's Wrath, but the two games I decided to highlight here are probably going to be the same two I highlight at the end of the year (since everything else keeps getting pushed back into 2013).

Journey

Throughout the last 30 minutes of Journey, My jaw was just on the floor. I have never had such powerful emotions over a video game like this before. This was due to the greatest sense of triumph I've ever had in my life (maybe an overstatement) along with an incredible musical score along with some of the prettiest graphics you'll see this generation.

Awesomenauts

MOBA. I have no clue what it's like to play DOTA 2 or LoL, but if Awesomenauts is inspired by those two games, then count me in on the MOBA craze. I've probably racked up around 100+ hours into this game and I'm no where close to being burnt out on it. The mechanics are extremely fun and the sharp 2D graphics along with the extremely fun music in this game are awesome(nauts). WHY ARENT YOU PLAYING THIS GAME!?

Movies/TV

Once again, not the strongest start in the world, but there are a few standouts as to the best movie of the year. Also, I have unplugged my cable... so I have no clue about most of the TV shows... oh well.

The Cabin in the Woods

The internet told me to go see this movie, and I did. I had no clue what the hell this movie was, since I had not seen any of the trailers leading up to it. In the first ten minutes of the movie I had a giant grin on my face. That grin would grow larger and larger until the movie ended. It might not be the most important movie, but it was the most entertaining one for me.

Community

Yes, I am a die hard Community fan. No, this season probably wasn't as good as Season 2. Yes, I still love this show so fucking much that I don't care anymore.

Music

There are a few standouts from the Music world so far, but all the heavy hitters are coming up soon... Here's what I love so far.

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

AoM is without a doubt my favorite album of the year. Straight up 90's alt rock done right.

Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute

... and Sleeping Ute is my favorite song from this year so far...

Pro Wrestling

You knew it was coming.

Best Wrestling Match - Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk

The night that Daniel Bryan was announced to receive a shot at the WWE Championship, I bought a $90 ticket to go see Over The Limit live. I was there and it was worth every penny in my opinion. The crowd was pumped for the entire match and Bryan and Punk delivered a match that is going to be remembered for years to come. (The best part is when the North Carolina crowd flips the fuck out when Punk puts Bryan in the figure four at around the 19:30 mark)

Best Wrestler - Daniel Bryan

Finally, the best wrestler in the world is getting some traction in the WWE. They have given him a shot with one of the titles earlier in the year and Bryan made the most of it and has skyrocketed in terms of being over with the main stream audience. He continues to make every single person he wrestles look like a million dollars, and he has the funnest gimmick/catchphrase in the business. Every week I tune in just to see the story progression of Daniel Bryan it seems, and even if WWE tosses him crap like a feud between himself and Charlie Sheen, Bryan will make it work. YES!

#1 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

It's halfway through the year, so let me share with you (and you share with me) a list of things that I've been enjoying all this year. But only if you hit the reply button and also share about things that you like enough to call it the "best". Deal?

Video Games

I really can't say that I've been pleased with video games this year. Every time I go out of my way to check out a big release, it ends up being a dissapointment (I'm looking at you, Max Payne 3). I haven't been able to try out smaller stuff like Dragon's Dogma or Asura's Wrath, but the two games I decided to highlight here are probably going to be the same two I highlight at the end of the year (since everything else keeps getting pushed back into 2013).

Journey

Throughout the last 30 minutes of Journey, My jaw was just on the floor. I have never had such powerful emotions over a video game like this before. This was due to the greatest sense of triumph I've ever had in my life (maybe an overstatement) along with an incredible musical score along with some of the prettiest graphics you'll see this generation.

Awesomenauts

MOBA. I have no clue what it's like to play DOTA 2 or LoL, but if Awesomenauts is inspired by those two games, then count me in on the MOBA craze. I've probably racked up around 100+ hours into this game and I'm no where close to being burnt out on it. The mechanics are extremely fun and the sharp 2D graphics along with the extremely fun music in this game are awesome(nauts). WHY ARENT YOU PLAYING THIS GAME!?

Movies/TV

Once again, not the strongest start in the world, but there are a few standouts as to the best movie of the year. Also, I have unplugged my cable... so I have no clue about most of the TV shows... oh well.

The Cabin in the Woods

The internet told me to go see this movie, and I did. I had no clue what the hell this movie was, since I had not seen any of the trailers leading up to it. In the first ten minutes of the movie I had a giant grin on my face. That grin would grow larger and larger until the movie ended. It might not be the most important movie, but it was the most entertaining one for me.

Community

Yes, I am a die hard Community fan. No, this season probably wasn't as good as Season 2. Yes, I still love this show so fucking much that I don't care anymore.

Music

There are a few standouts from the Music world so far, but all the heavy hitters are coming up soon... Here's what I love so far.

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

AoM is without a doubt my favorite album of the year. Straight up 90's alt rock done right.

Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute

... and Sleeping Ute is my favorite song from this year so far...

Pro Wrestling

You knew it was coming.

Best Wrestling Match - Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk

The night that Daniel Bryan was announced to receive a shot at the WWE Championship, I bought a $90 ticket to go see Over The Limit live. I was there and it was worth every penny in my opinion. The crowd was pumped for the entire match and Bryan and Punk delivered a match that is going to be remembered for years to come. (The best part is when the North Carolina crowd flips the fuck out when Punk puts Bryan in the figure four at around the 19:30 mark)

Best Wrestler - Daniel Bryan

Finally, the best wrestler in the world is getting some traction in the WWE. They have given him a shot with one of the titles earlier in the year and Bryan made the most of it and has skyrocketed in terms of being over with the main stream audience. He continues to make every single person he wrestles look like a million dollars, and he has the funnest gimmick/catchphrase in the business. Every week I tune in just to see the story progression of Daniel Bryan it seems, and even if WWE tosses him crap like a feud between himself and Charlie Sheen, Bryan will make it work. YES!

#2 Posted by Mento (2438 posts) -

In terms of games, so far it's Last Story, Asura's Wrath, Fez and Binary Domain. Possibly not in that order.

For the rest, I've been spending the past week or so catching up with three seasons of Community. It's easily the funniest live-action sitcom that's currently airing (though by the grace of God if I understand correctly) so you'll hear no discord from me if you want to say it's the best ever. I could say the Avengers for movies, but I've only seen a handful of 2012's new releases in theaters (Prometheus and John Carter were the other two, which weren't terrific).

#3 Posted by morrelloman (606 posts) -

Triple A Game - Mass Effect 3 ... XBLA Game - Fez ... Movie - prob Avengers...Music - Riff Raff or Call me Maybe...Meme - Bath Salts

#4 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Totally agreed on Awesomenauts; I've spent so many hours in that game without even trying.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

Eh can't say I agree myself with any of that. But hey, Opinions!

My game this year is prob Final Fantasy XIII-2 My music is an easy one Channel Orange , I dont watch TV other than wrestling so no opinion there. And as for wrestling I'm a pretty huge mark for Ziggler. My favorite match this year. Boy...that is tough. I think I'm going to go with Cm Punk vs Chris Jericho at WM28 that is the Las match I remember where I was hanging on every moment.

#6 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'm not playing Awesomenauts because I really dislike MOBAs. :/

Those albums are interesting and I will check them out.

That match was fuckin' awesome, I will agree.

#7 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Community is the best shit on TV. It sucks Harmon's no longer involved. I loved when Troy said "What kind of game is this?" when Abed said that Hilda would have to marry a villager. If you're interested http://www.reddit.com/r/hawkthorne/ is working on the game. It's still a work in progress but it's awesome. Any Community fan needs to download this, if only to scroll through the available costumes.

#8 Edited by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

I got Awesomenauts for free with PS+. I never really tried playing it. Maybe I shall now due to the praise you've given it.

As for my Best of 2012 so far

• Games - I would've said Max Payne 3, but ever since I played the second episode of The Walking Dead, I have to say that that is my favorite game so far.
  • Movies - The Dark Knight Returns. Its the only movie I've seen in theaters this year, and with good reason. It was really good.
  • TV - I'll say that Mad Men's season this year was pretty great like always. I would probably say Breaking Bad's season 5, but I still have to watch seasons 3 and 4.
  • Music - Uh, I can't say I've listened to any albums from this year, and if I have I can't think of them. My favorite song though, jeez, I'm just blanking right now.
  • Wrestling - I don't watch any wrestling, but when I turned it on a few months ago, Chris Jericho threw a Jack Daniels bottle at CM Punk's head and it obviously broke away before it hit him. It was pretty bad. I mean, I know that they wouldn't actually throw a bottle of Jack Daniels at his head, but they could've at least tried to not show the camera angles that show how it broke away. And best wrestler, ummmmm CM Punk seems cool.
#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4630 posts) -

The year's been a bit shit for games so far, though my 3DS has been getting a lot of love with Kid Icarus, Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm, and the new Kingdom Hearts. I also played through Machinarium recently and loved it, while Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP completely surprised me by being awesome.

Movies, whatever. I loved Prometheus, hated DKR. I also don't think I've listened to a single song released this year yet.

Wrestling! The RAW after 'Mania was a highlight for me with the crowd getting behind Bryan in a big way and Lesnar returning, not that he's done much with it yet. Match of the year for me would probably be a tie between Steen Vs. Richards 1 for the ROH title and the WHC MITB. They weren't the best technical matches, but I was so behind Steen and Ziggler that it was real to me dammit.

I agree on Bryan being the best wrestler this year, but I think Ziggler deserves a nod too.

#10 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

That new Grizzly Bear song is great, and so is their new one they've just released. I don't think I'll pick up the album though, as this happened last time where I really liked the two leading singles, bought Veckatimest, and after about 20 listens thought it was shit. Seriously do not get the hype about that album.

#11 Posted by Somadude (549 posts) -

Attack on Memory has slowly crept it's way into my top five albums of the year. And that's based on the song "Stay Useless" alone.