• 54 results
#1 Edited by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

I currently work from home and constantly enjoy having Netflix or a DVD playing on my laptop next to me while working. Shows that I am looking for should have a main plot line, but don't require me to pay attention to the entire episode. I guess House would be the best example of this. It had its weekly episode plot, but each episode slowly progressed the season's plot. It also only took me about 2 weeks watch all 8 seasons. Reason for this is that it kept me entertained and allowed me to want to keep watching the seasons. I am very fond of Quantum Leap, but this is a show with no real evolving plot line (aside from the evil leaper here and there in the last couple of seasons).

Currently I am re-watching Dexter from start to finish to get ready for the 7th season at the end of the month. Here's a list of some of the shows that I have already seen and will hopefully give an insight as to what shows I may be interested in.

• L&O SVU
  • X-Files
  • House
  • ER
  • Dexter
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Breaking Bad
  • Burn Notice
  • The Walking Dead
  • Mad Men
  • Eastbound & Down
  • Sopranos
  • True Blood
  • Arrested Development

I am highly interested in watching Boardwalk Empire, but it seems like that show would require my full attention which I cannot give it. I have access to HBO-GO, Netflix, and can buy DVDs. I appreciate all recommendations (even if you tell me "Blue's Clues" lol).

Thanks

Edit: Below is a list of shows recommended that I will definitely look into

• The Wire
  • Six Feet Under
  • Deadwood
  • Hell on Wheels
  • Sherlock (note: watch mini-episode between season 1 & 2)
  • Terriers
  • The Shield
  • Justified
#2 Posted by falserelic (5399 posts) -

The american version of Being Human I enjoyed the show.

#3 Edited by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

The Wire(not on instant streaming, 5 seasons) is really good and should last a decent amount of time, based on what you listed it might be a good fit.

Also, no clue on this one, but I like to suggest it to everyone: Buffy The Vampire Slayer(All seven seasons on instant streaming). The first season(only 12 episodes as opposed to 22) is VERY rough, but it gradually gets better in the second season until about half way through where it gets awesome.

#4 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

Arrested Development and Sherlock.

#5 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@YI_Orange: I have always heard The Wire was really good, but every time I go to start a new show I forget about it. I guess now that the suggestion is written to a database I will actually remember it. Thanks

@falserelic: I may give Being Human a shot. There's just something about SyFy shows that I don't like. Eureka was okay, but that was the only show I can remember actually care about on that channel.

#6 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Bakemonogatari, I guess.

#8 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: Thanks, I updated my list to show Arrested Development. I've watched that series about 4-5 times now and it still never gets old. That show will live on forever. Fuck you Fox!

#9 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer right now. It's pretty great. And it fits your bill with the whole "monster of the week" and "slowly advancing overarching plotline" sentiments.

#10 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Angel. Supernatural, too, as long as you don't go past season 5.

#11 Edited by Vao (328 posts) -

I'm in the same boat as you, its nice to have a tv show that you don't have to focus on to understand everything going on,

SG-1 (7 pretty good seasons) is pretty good having an overall story arch for each season,

Son's of anarchy,

Hell on Wheels,

they were hating on it couple weeks ago on the bombcast but I'm still a fan of burn notice and white collar, its stupid fun.

#12 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

Six Feet Under is essential viewing.

#13 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

Yea... I was never fond of Buffy or any of the shows like it (Charmed, Angel, etc.) when I was younger.

#14 Edited by sissylion (679 posts) -

The Wire. It has been stated before, but, yo, The Wire.

Also Six Feet Under.

#15 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@Vao: Yep I love that show. Although, I think they should have ended the series with the last season. It starts back up in a couple of days.

@EVO: Thanks. Another show that I keep forgetting about.

#16 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1375 posts) -

Weeds is a good show to have on while doing other things

#17 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

DEADWOOD is awesome

#18 Posted by Vao (328 posts) -

@TyCobb: ya it ended well, curious on where they will go in the next season.

#19 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: I am caught up with the current episodes. I still watch even though I think the last couple of seasons have been terrible. Thanks for the suggestion though.

@SlightConfuse: Added it to my list of recommendations. Thanks a lot.

#20 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@Vao said:

I'm in the same boat as you, its nice to have a tv show that you don't have to focus on to understand everything going on,

SG-1 (7 pretty good seasons) is pretty good having an overall story arch for each season,

Son's of anarchy,

Hell on Wheels,

they were hating on it couple weeks ago on the bombcast but I'm still a fan of burn notice and white collar, its stupid fun.

I stopped watching SG-1 years ago when Richard Dean Anderson left later in the series and he is one of the reasons I liked the show.

I tried to watch Hell on Wheels, but Netflix was screwing up the stream and I just haven't tried it again. I moved it to the recommended list. Thanks.

#21 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

I agree with the Sherlock suggestion. That show is awesome. Watch the first season on Netflix and then buy the second off of iTunes (or whatever your cheaper source of choice is). I thought Breaking Bad was the best show ever, until I saw Sherlock. That is the best show ever.

#22 Edited by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@Burzmali: This one: Sherlock? I'll add it to the list. I guess I missed the original suggestion. Thanks

#23 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

@TyCobb: Yep, that's the one. Seriously. Awesome show. The over-arching story thing is sort of like X-Files, in that each episode is a single thing but there's a series-spanning story that is advanced each time, too. One tip: Make sure you see the mini-episode thing after the last episode of season one and before season two. Otherwise you'll be confused at the start of season two.

#24 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5814 posts) -

Parks and Recreation

#25 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Lost. The first few seasons are great and it still stays pretty interesting until the end even though the last couple seasons are ridiculous.

#26 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

The Shield. It is the cable equivalent of The Wire. In fact that's kind of an insulting description, since it totally does it's own thing, with a hard focus on a smaller group of characters. But yeah, if you enjoyed Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy, it should be totally up your alley.

#27 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Going by your list, you're going to want to watch Justified. Soooo underrated/not talked about enough. Some of the best television to come out in years

#28 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Deadwood and The Wire are soooooo good.

#29 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Terriers it was on FX for a 1 season so it's not a large commitment but it's awesome and it is on netflix.

#30 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@laserbolts: That show has intrigued me, but I know in order to really enjoy and get enthralled in the show, I want would need to devote full attention to it. Is this not the case?

@ThePaleKing: Adding to the list. Always a fan of Michael Chiklis. He was The Commish!

#31 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: Thanks. Always wanted to get around to watching that as the promos always made me excited for it.

@iceman228433: That was the show with Donal Logue right? Don't think he can do any wrong.

Thanks a lot guys. This is really helping me out.

#32 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it doesn't have any plot but a few comedies that i like to watch on netflix.

malcolm in the middle. it's a show main character being malcolm. his a genious, he has two older brothers and oldest lives at military school. other brother is a bully. he has a little brother. they are always getting in trouble. the father plays in breaking bad the main character. i never watched breaking bad.

workholics. funny kind of stoner show. the guys aren't actually workholics they are always screwing up at work.

#33 Posted by SortedeVaras (111 posts) -

@zombiebigfoot said:

Angel. Supernatural, too, as long as you don't go past season 5.

Same with Buffy, the first couple years are good but anything after the mayor is not to be watched.

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

I am a big fan of "Bones"

#35 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

If you haven't watched Justified you should watch it. Based on the type of shows you like. The Wire is very Low burn and requires a lot of attention but is more intriguing than engaging. Maybe go for Weeds? I didn't love it at all, but it's a good main plot show to get lost in without much attention use.

On the other hand if you secretly want to be grabbed by a show go for Game of Thrones or Dr. Who. Some people prefer Torchwood and some like both, but they're very different shows despite the similarities.

For an inbetween choice something like Smallville or Buffy won't require much attention or focus at first but will suck you in later. Smallville MUCH later.

#36 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

The West Wing

Battlestar Galactica (new one)

Rescue Me

And, for something lighter to mix things up, watch Psych. Lots of fun little geeky pop culture references.

#37 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

terriers was great, currently I am watching seaquest dsv. It's not bad, it's kind of like star trek but under water. Some episodes are better than others. I'm waiting for season two of sherlock.

#38 Posted by Djnuttty (138 posts) -

Twin peaks. For the love of god, Twin Peaks.

#39 Edited by williamcoates (1 posts) -
#40 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

It's Sorkin as hell and not nearly as clever as it thinks it is, but I still quite enjoyed season one of The Newsroom which wrapped up not that long ago. It's been renewed for a second season. I am shocked at how good Olivia Munn is in it.

#41 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

This might seem like an odd suggestion but a LOT of animes fit your descriptions (over-arching plot without needing to watch every second to get it all) and might be worth a watch. Naruto and Dragonball are both pretty damn entertaining shows and both are easy enough to watch without paying attention and not miss anything crucial.

#42 Posted by brojuice (7 posts) -

Just about any HBO (mini)series won't disappoint. I just finished Game of Thrones' second season, and it's killer, and I loved John Adams, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific.

Also, Homeland on Showtime had a great first season and the new one premiers in a few weeks!

#43 Posted by shinboy630 (1134 posts) -

Castle because Nathan Fillion.

#44 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Rome.

#45 Posted by gametrkr (70 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

You need to watch Battlestar Galatica.

Also, Boardwalk Empire is awesome. The first half of the first season is a bit slow, as your introduced to a lot of story lines, and characters. Once you hit the mid point though you will be hooked,

I HIGHLY suggest you watch the series using HBOGO, the interactive features are nothing short of amazing. They also help adding historical context. If your a history nerd like me, then you will love it. Also nice cast interviews on certain scenes.

#46 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

Spartacus: Blood in the Sand

Spartacus:

Spartacus: Vengeance

Rome

#47 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4692 posts) -

I'll echo Deadwood, The Shield, and Battlestar Galactica. I'll also throw Twin Peaks out there based on what you've said.

#48 Posted by rand0mZer00 (222 posts) -

Twin Peaks.

#49 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -

My Little Pony

#50 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -