• 125 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (674 posts) -

I just recently finished up Freaks and Geeks on Netflix and man am I bummed out that there will never be more then those 18 episodes. Unlike Breaking Bad or Cowboy Bebop, which have a narrative arc that I feel end satisfyingly, the lack of more Freaks and Geeks really bums me out. What TV shows do you guys feel ended or got cancelled too early?

#2 Posted by Chaser324 (6254 posts) -
  • Firefly
  • Pushing Daisies
  • Terriers
  • Wonderfalls
  • Dead Like Me
  • Deadwood
Moderator Online
#3 Posted by PolygonSlayer (419 posts) -

Firefly *sigh*
... now I'm sad again :..(

#4 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

Is it bad that I'm somewhat suspicious about this thread being created by a bot?

#5 Edited by Opus (148 posts) -

Stroker and Hoop, genuinely funny show, worst part was that it ended on a cliffhanger with the expectation of getting another season.

#6 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Twin Peaks should have had a third and final season. Although I still like the way it ends on a cliffhanger, which is why I have it as my avatar.

#7 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (674 posts) -

@example1013: I swear that I'm a real person. I guess I just post alot?

#8 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

Firefly and Deadwood, as well as The Fades (although I can kind of see why it wasn't renewed), and the Australian show Crownies.

#9 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (336 posts) -
  • Lie to Me
  • Kindred: The Embraced

#10 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

@acidbrandon18: No, just sounds like a bot. General syntax: "hey, I just saw X Y and Z, what are your thoughts?" insert 3 related things (or make it fun and have them be unrelated) and post, instant thread generator.

#11 Posted by Akyho (1584 posts) -

The first three things to make me gut wrenchingly laugh at a young age. Which is surprisingly American...well I suppose not since British humor is more cerebral BDUM TSH!...Ill just say now....

Titus, hold a very special place in my heart. I grew up watching stuff like Red dwarf I was 5 didnt understand the jokes and so much stuff I never laughed at. I watched Titus when I was 10 or such...first episode had me laughing waaaay too much. It just hut all my buttons. Still does.

Dead like me. It ran longer than I expected and sadly was hastily wrapped up ish. I watched the extra movie thing but there was still more to the world.

and the number one most horribly canceled thing to me is this. Its been said already but.....it comes with a catchy intro, done by Andy Partridge a member of the British Band XTC with such hits as "Making plans for nigel." and "sense going into overdrive."

Wonderfalls was an amazing trip. I found it on British tv. I never knew of its horrible fate on FOX, with it being showed at prime time....then moved the next week against sports and then throw to a midnight slot before just being flat out canceled. 3 episodes. British TV had the courtesy of doing all 13...but in a very similar way. Let me fill you in.

The channel it ran on was a satellite/cable channel called Sky. Guess who's company that is...one Mr Rupert Murdoch owner of.....FOX! So with Sky they advertised it for 8pm new show its awesome! I watched the first ep I was on board laughed a ton and helps I fell for the lead character/actress. So I am all prepped for the next episode. I couldn't find it next week....what had happened was it was being show at 1am two days from now. I thought it was a repeat and I wanted to watch the repeat so I did....it was a new episode...that was weird. I checked....next episode is 3am tomorrow...then found all the other episodes were shown at 3am.

I just had to watch them all and I did....High school was fun that week. But man what a shitty way to treat that show.

Other titles are Dark Angel and Stargate Universe.

#12 Posted by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

Probably in the minority but I really liked the characters in Stargate Universe. I was bummed to see it go.

#13 Posted by voltronadactylsaurusrex (69 posts) -

TERRIERS

#14 Posted by GnaTSoL (790 posts) -

New Thundercats & Batman Beyond.

#15 Posted by Happenstance (459 posts) -

Chuck definitely. I loved that show and want more!

#16 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1351 posts) -

I'm probably the only person in the world who liked Rubicon but, Rubicon.

#17 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

I was bummed that Angel wrapped up the way it did - cool concept executed entirely too hastily.

Life is probably the one that springs to mind for me(that hasn't already been mentioned). It was a police procedural with an interesting overarching plot starring Damien Lewis.

Nothing spectacular in terms of plot, but the dialogue was sharp and the acting phenomenal. Lewis' character in particular was great.

#18 Posted by shadowdrone (69 posts) -

Terminator, the Sarah Conner Chronicles. Not because it was the best show in the world, but because it completely breaks the fiction unless the cliffhanger is resolved. And it never got resolved. :(

#19 Posted by White_Silhouette (470 posts) -

Duckman,

Oblongs

Undergrads

Clone High

#20 Edited by Abendlaender (2733 posts) -

The Simp...oh wait

#21 Posted by Daiphyer (1301 posts) -

Lucky Louie. Seriously one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Deadwood. That shit was brilliant.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

Rome :((

#23 Posted by EchoEcho (813 posts) -

Space: Above and Beyond. The first (and only) season started off with its fair share of occasional awkwardness, but by the time they got to the last leg of the season the writers and actors were really hitting their stride and the quality was taking a sharp turn upward.

#24 Edited by Robsamuel (49 posts) -

Rome is the main one that comes to mind. The second season felt incredibly rushed, not in terms of quality but ground the story covered when compressing three planned seasons into one.

Firefly was pretty good, it really needed a second season for all the characters to settle more into their roles and likewise for the writers to decide what they wanted to do with the show.

Also Twin Peaks.

#25 Posted by Nodima (1057 posts) -

Party Down

Firefly

Arrested Development

Tough Crowd With Colin Quinn

Bored to Death

#26 Edited by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

Terminator show (I don't care what anyone says, the concept and execution was awesome. The cliff-hanger ending was uncool, though).

Fringe - technically, it got 5 seasons, but the fifth was hurriedly wrapped. At least they were aware of it being their last season, thus letting them close it cohesively, but the finale basically concluded with "the last year of the show didn't exist. Goodbye."

Also Twin Peaks.

That's not technically correct - it's not that it ended before it should have, it's that they took off the rails half-way through and fucked up any possibility of a satisfactory ending. The first season (8 episodes?) was amazing; season 2 was decidedly less so (especially the final death - that came out of fucking nowhere).

#27 Posted by TheHT (10795 posts) -

I remember really like The Black Donnellys. That and Twin Peaks I suppose. Thing with Twin Peaks though, if they kept of all the bullshit that plagued most of season 2, I dunno if it'd be worth it.

I'm glad True Blood is over. Sure there won't be any more Jessica, who easily became the only character worth paying attention to, but holy fuck did that show get dumb. They've got one more season I think, so maybe they'll go back to what made the show great (season 1, 3, and parts of 2). I've got little doubt they'll just use it as an opportunity to go balls out crazy instead, because they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

#28 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

"You can't take the sky from me..."

#29 Posted by Random45 (995 posts) -

@geekdown said:

Twin Peaks should have had a third and final season. Although I still like the way it ends on a cliffhanger, which is why I have it as my avatar.

After the killer was revealed the show REALLY started to go down the drain. That is one show where it should have ended a lot earlier than it did.

#30 Edited by Hailinel (23674 posts) -

Brimstone was really fun. But of course, it was on Fox, so it was cancelled after thirteen episodes.

#31 Edited by joshwent (2046 posts) -

@daiphyer said:

Lucky Louie. Seriously one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

But without Lucky Louie getting canned, we probably never would have had Louie, which many (myself included) would argue is even better than the great original. Or at least, a sort of alternate universe version of the first. Hmm, I wonder if anyone's ever done a Zelda-esque analysis of the Louis CK universe? Which one is the true super depressed mopey guy!

#32 Edited by forkboy (1107 posts) -

Yeah. HBO double of Deadwood (a show that really deserved a proper ending) & Rome (an absolutely gorgeous period piece, with an utterly superb first season & a really enjoyable-but-clearly-rushed second season).

Firefly is also a real bummer.

#33 Edited by DeF (4775 posts) -

@chaser324 said:
  • Firefly
  • Pushing Daisies
  • Terriers
  • Wonderfalls
  • Dead Like Me
  • Deadwood

Yes to all of those. Have yet to see the last two, though (soon!).

I'm also still bitter that Angel got canceled just as ratings were picking up and they doing incredibly fascinating (and heartbreaking) stuff. Basically one more year or even just 13 episodes was all that was needed. Still, they pulled of a fantastic series finale.

For some more lesser known stuff, I'd name The Inside. Another one of the shows that are the reason Tim Minear's (Firefly, Wonderfalls, Terriers) twitter handle is "@cancelledagain." Oh and last year's Awake. Fascinating show. And I would've loved to know how Kyle Killen's previous show Lone Star would've evolved past Episode 2, after which FOX pulled the plug lol.

There are a lot of one-offs that I'd love to have seen more of, though. But I'd end up making a ridiculously long list in that case.

Terminator, the Sarah Conner Chronicles. Not because it was the best show in the world, but because it completely breaks the fiction unless the cliffhanger is resolved. And it never got resolved. :(

Oh crap, yes yes yes! (Btw, it also happened to be a very very good show that made me care about itself in spite of my complete disinterest in the Terminator movie-universe)

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Probably in the minority but I really liked the characters in Stargate Universe. I was bummed to see it go.

Dude, I'd watch Richard Dean Anderson for fuckin' forever.

#35 Posted by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

@random45 said:

@geekdown said:

After the killer was revealed the show REALLY started to go down the drain. That is one show where it should have ended a lot earlier than it did.

Man, the cliffhanger is terrible. From what I heard, that entire sequence was a desperate plea to the publisher to let them make another season.

#36 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

@walkertr77: There are maybe 10 people who watched rubicon, but those 10 know it was amazing. What's weird is how amc's basically buried the show - I don't think there is any way of watching it legally at this point.

#37 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2527 posts) -

Defying Gravity was a multi-nationally produced space travel television science fiction drama series which first aired on August 2, 2009 on ABC and CTV and was canceled in the autumn (September/October) of 2009.

Set in the year 2052, the series follows eight astronauts (four women and four men) from four countries on a six-year space mission through the Solar System, during which they are monitored from Earth via a real-time communication system. The public, on earth, thinks this is just a 'tour' of the solar system, but there was a 'Black Project' that was part of it too to seek out alien objects on each planet.

The show was very good considering the garbage like Defiance that is passed off as science fiction. I think you can watch the whole first season on Netflix....it is worth watching. There were a number of issues with the script and basic premise that needed to be re-worked, but it was a very solid try. (Find and watch the show before you look at the reviews, because what the show wanted to do is not exactly what it did...yet I think it gained no audience because of what people THOUGH the show would be about. I think it is a case of the show being better than its premise, yet trapped by the early publicity of that NOT SO BAD AS IT WOULD SEEM premise.

#38 Posted by JadeGL (696 posts) -

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr

Rome

#39 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3719 posts) -

Carnivale for sure. That was a very interesting show with a lot left in it.

Deadwood would have been nice to see more of too.

#40 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2283 posts) -

King of the Hill

#41 Posted by Veektarius (4539 posts) -

@echoecho said:

Space: Above and Beyond. T

I was in my early teens when it came out so I'm probably not a great judge of its quality, but this is the only cancellation that really upset me.

@jimbo said:

Rome :((

I really liked the first season of Rome, but its cancellation affected me differently - I wish they hadn't given it a second season, because the pacing and the way that passages of long periods of time (like 40 years) are treated over the course of a single year in TV-time really left a bad taste in my mouth. I would sooner live with just the single season complete take on the Julius Caesar saga that is season 1. However, Kevin McKidd in his role as Vorenus is probably one of my favorite characters in TV ever, so losing out on that was a real drag.

#42 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

Terriers was great. I really enjoy Donal Logue as an actor. His recent turn on Sons of Anarchy was fantastic...

#43 Posted by Robsamuel (49 posts) -

@ch3burashka: You're probably right. Even with the quality going downhill, I still would have like to see more :)

#44 Edited by daggon55 (114 posts) -

12 ounce mouse.

#45 Edited by Ravelle (1168 posts) -

United States of Tara
Caprica
Invasion

#46 Edited by GreggD (4475 posts) -

Mission Hill

#47 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

My name is Earl.

You people are monsters for not mentioning it!

#48 Posted by sawtooth (426 posts) -

Home Movies. Jon Benjamin will always be coach McGurk.

#49 Edited by Vanick (310 posts) -

I'm glad to see Pushing Daisies, Terriers, Dead Like Me, Rubicon, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr, Party Down, Carnivale, and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles mentioned. Some I would add are Undeclared, Lights Out, Veronica Mars, The Tick, Tron: Uprising, and Reaper. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

#50 Edited by A_E_Martin (131 posts) -
  • Deadwood
  • Rome
  • LOST
  • FRINGE
  • TOUCH
  • Burn Notice
  • Twin Peaks

Pretty much the best of TV right there.