• 125 results
#101 Posted by StarvingGamer (8248 posts) -

@andorski said:

Action scenes look terribly choreographed. CGI feels way more in line with Saturday morning kids shows.

I'd love to know what primetime TV you're watching where the action in Agents of SHIELD is terrible and the CGI is Saturday morning caliber by comparison.

#102 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

@andorski said:

Action scenes look terribly choreographed. CGI feels way more in line with Saturday morning kids shows.

I'd love to know what primetime TV you're watching where the action in Agents of SHIELD is terrible and the CGI is Saturday morning caliber by comparison.

For action - Hawaii 5-0. Haven't kept up with the show past season 2, but I remember the fighting in it being great. The punching was kinetic and takedowns actually look painful. The movement in the few fight scenes with Ward looks so stilted in comparison. Action in a Whedon show has never been top notch, but this show has nothing to hang onto other than cool action sequences. The overarching storylines (e.g. Coulson's death and Skye's double agent status) have only been faintly touched upon and all the characters besides Coulson serve as superficial generic caricatures. It's really telling that they constantly mention the Avengers movie and had that cameo appearance at the end of the second episode. The writers are using whatever they can to keep their audience interested as they try to make this show stand on its own.

My problem with the CGI is that they use it in such cartoonish ways, like when Coulson and Skye fly off in Lola or when when the semi-truck gets lifted into the air, looking like a toy being held up by a child.

#103 Edited by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -

Mission Hill, possibly my favorite cartoon of all time.

and if you listed a show that had more than 0.5 seasons.... shame shame on you.

#104 Posted by tread311 (356 posts) -

Better Off Ted. Terrible name but great show. It was really in line with my sense of humor.

#105 Edited by Ravelle (1272 posts) -

Ratings are bullshit.

Great orginal shows get canceled after a season or two while generic cookie cutter laugh track shows like Two and a Half Man, Rules of Engagement etc gets 8 seasons.

#106 Posted by EVO (3910 posts) -

Flight of the Conchords.

#107 Posted by Noblenerf (320 posts) -

My picks.

• Firefly - as the movie, Serenity, displayed, there were many places this show still wanted to go. It ended far too soon.
  • Twin Peaks - Although some portions of Season 2 were a letdown, the finale made reminded me why I want more of Twin Peaks.
  • HBO's Rome - It's been a while since I saw this, but I recall feeling it should continue. The adventures of Titus Pullo were not finished!
  • ReBoot - Season finale was a cliffhanger... that was never resolved. Very unfortunate. This show could have continued for many years and become something bigger than it already was.
  • Angel - I would have liked to have seen how the mythology continued post-season 5. Very compelling storyline and subplots.
  • Dragonball K - As Dragonball Z Abridged has shown me, I still love the Dragonball setting. I only wish DBK had distilled the entire series into its best parts, cutting out the less meaningful portions.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I would have preferred them to expand upon the early episodes of the series, although the series is fantastic either way.
@omega said:

I would have liked to have seen a 4th season of Avatar: The last Airbender. Apparently they had a 4th "book" planned then Nickelodeon was all like, "Nah, were good"

Legend of Korra is great but I still wonder about what could have been.

That's a very unfortunate decision by Nickelodeon. Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the best shows I've ever seen... what could have been, indeed!

#108 Posted by SilentPredator (132 posts) -

@silentpredator: That reasoning seems really reductive. I suspect there was more going on then him just wanting to write a surfing show. That article doesn't really "prove" anything about why it was cancelled.

I suspect artistic differences. I mean, you can write for more than one show, it happens all the time.

The show was expensive to produce. David Milch wanted to work on John from Cincinnati, which would have delayed production on a fourth season of Deadwood. HBO offered Milch a compromise of six episodes to wrap up Deadwood. He told HBO he didn't want to do that. No more Deadwood.

Link.

#109 Posted by Xanadu (348 posts) -

Clone High.

#110 Edited by chrissedoff (2108 posts) -

@devil240z said:

Mission Hill, possibly my favorite cartoon of all time.

and if you listed a show that had more than 0.5 seasons.... shame shame on you.

I loved this show and now so does anybody I show it to. It's just one of those shows that got the run-around by network executives for some reason.

#111 Posted by afabs515 (1083 posts) -

Teen Titans

#112 Edited by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Dead Like Me is the first immediate one that comes to mind. Goddamn, that show was good. I will NEVER understand the cancellation on that one...ever.

I also noticed people saying Rome, and I agree that the show was fucking excellent. However, looking at the budget of that show, I can absolutely understand why it was cancelled.

#113 Edited by Omega (835 posts) -

@noblenerf: How could I have forgotten Reboot? One of the best shows from my childhood, and lets face it, my teen years too. I have the opposite opinion than you on this matter though. They should have just left it at the end of the series instead of making those straight to dvd movies. The Daemon arc and the two Bobs were too much. It would have been fine if they could have finished it but the unfinished story cheapens the rest of the narrative.

And while we are on Mainframe Entertainment, Beast Machines was just a bad idea.

#114 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Dead Like Me is the first immediate one that comes to mind. Goddamn, that show was good. I will NEVER understand the cancellation on that one...ever.

Ah! Yes, I liked this one quite a bit as well.

#115 Posted by Flacracker (1674 posts) -

@ravelle said:

Ratings are bullshit.

Great orginal shows get canceled after a season or two while generic cookie cutter laugh track shows like Two and a Half Man, Rules of Engagement etc gets 8 seasons.

Then stop watching them

#116 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -

Other than the obvious Firefly and Arrested Development, I feel like a lot of the shows I liked lasted longer than they should have. The Office was sort of bad for the last few years of its run, and 24 descended into borderline self-parody at some point.

#117 Posted by Ravelle (1272 posts) -

@ravelle said:

Ratings are bullshit.

Then stop watching them

I never said I did. :o

#118 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Firefly
Burn Notice
Futurama

#119 Posted by NTM (7381 posts) -

Some people disliked the show, but to me, I felt Enterprise could have gotten a few more seasons. Seven like the previous three series'.

#120 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Eureka. I guess it was just too expensive to produce for the ratings that it was pulling in. The ending felt really rushed and contrived because apparently they only have like 6 episodes to wrap everything up as best they could.

John Doe. It ended on a cliff hanger after a single season. Some of the episodes were kind of weak but overall the show was enjoyable.

Conversely, I thought that the Battlestar Galactica reboot should have ended after the second season and with a few minor changes that would have worked well.

#121 Edited by ikilledthedj (286 posts) -

jericho

#122 Edited by PandaBear (1373 posts) -

Deadwood

Deadwood

Deadwood

Most TV shows die a slow painful death ... I mean I liked Chuck (it was trash, but so what) but fuck that show should have ended after four seasons. Three even.

Few shows need to go for as long as they do ... but that's an American issue usually. British TV shows generally end when they need to.

#123 Posted by TheFakePsychic (194 posts) -

I know it wasn't necessarily the most well received or popular show, but I quite enjoyed CHAOS. I thought it was a great spin on spy thrillers that was always really interesting and hilarious.

Also while I was simultaneously out of the target demographic that it failed to attract, and the actual demographic that it attracted, but I also was quite partial to David E. Kelley's Harry's Law. Not nearly as good as Boston Legal (which, in my personal opinion, is the best series aired on American television, but that's neither here nor there), but it scratched enough of the same itch that made it very enjoyable nonetheless.

#124 Posted by mems1224 (230 posts) -

Lie to Me

Freaks and Geeks

Those are the first two that come to mind.

#125 Posted by Aegon (5639 posts) -

Awake

#126 Edited by Khemitude (222 posts) -

Rather odd that this hasn't been said yet but I really like the new Knight Rider they did a few years back I found it really good, to a certain extent better than the originals though I do love me some original Knight Rider.

#127 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

There is only one correct answer to this question - Twin Peaks.