xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

20. High Tension (2003) - 91 minutes

Two college friends, Marie and Alexa, encounter loads of trouble (and blood) while on vacation at Alexa's parents' country home when a mysterious killer invades their quiet getaway.

Any horror fans looking for that home invasion scare need to check out Alexandre Aja's controversial horror movie that will leave you asking "Wait what?" as the credits roll. Love or hate the ending, the trip there is bound to leave an impression. 

19. Saw (2004) - 103 minutes 

With a dead body laying between them, two men wake up in the secure lair of a serial killer who's been nicknamed "Jigsaw". The men must follow various rules and objectives if they wish to survive and win the deadly game set for them.

Love or hate the series it spawned, there's no denying the force Saw exploded with upon it's release in 2004.

And come on, (to those you've seen it) you still think of that ending now and again.  

18. Cloverfield (2008) - 85 minutes 

The film follows six young New Yorkers attending a going-away party on the night that an unknown monster attacks the city.  

Following one of the most memorable advertising campaigns in the history of film audiences were given a film that wasn't too bad either. Your ability to enjoy may very well fall with your ability to watch it in its entirety without feeling motion sickness.

17. The Sixth Sense (1999) - 107 minutes 

A boy who communicates with spirits that don't know they're dead seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist. 

In the same box as Saw, The Sixth Sense offers a great, (if slow going) horror tale with a twist that has been talked about for years.  

16. Paranormal Activity (2007) - 86 minutes  

After moving into a suburban home, a couple becomes increasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence. 

Carrying on from the found footage genre started by (under manys opinion) The Blair Witch Project, 2007's Paranormal Activity is worth the watch. As long as you don't fall asleep before stuff begins to happen.  

15. American Psycho (2000) - 102 minutes  

A wealthy New York investment banking executive hides his alternate psychopathic ego from his co-workers and friends as he escalates deeper into his illogical, gratuitous fantasies.

14. May (2003) - 93 minutes 

Psychological horror about a lonely young woman traumatized by a difficult childhood, and her increasingly desperate attempts to connect with the people around her. 

13. Audition (1999) - 115 minutes   (Severe Graphic Warning - May destroy your mind)  

A widower takes an offer to screen girls at a special audition, arranged for him by a friend to find him a new wife. The one he fancies is not who she appears to be after all. 

Those with weak stomachs should avoid this one - you have been warned.  

12. Inside (2008)  - 83 minutes 

Four months after the death of her husband, a woman on the brink of motherhood is tormented in her home by a strange woman who wants her unborn baby.

11. Rec (2007) - 78 minutes

"REC" turns on a young TV reporter and her cameraman who cover the night shift at the local fire station. 

Some more from the found footage genre, this one here is a great movie that doesn't shy away from the jump scares knowing that's what it does best. The ending also might stay in your mind for years to come.  

10. Trick 'r Treat (2007) - 82 minutes  

Trick r' Treat takes the viewer through loosely related plots that somehow never ceases to ask for attention. An unique film for certain.  

9. Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 101 minutes 

A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman, and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall.

A rare example where the remake is actuallt better than the original.

8. The Descent (2005) - 99 minutes

A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators 

7. Frontier(s) (2007) - 108 minutes  

A gang of young thieves flee Paris during the violent aftermath of a political election, only to hole up at an Inn run by neo-Nazis.  

6. Martyrs (2008) - 99 minutes (Warning - Severe violence)

A young woman's quest for revenge against the people who kidnapped and tormented her as a child leads her and a friend, who is also a victim of child abuse, on a terrifying journey into a living hell of depravity.

Be careful with this one, not for the faint of heart.

5. The Devil's Backbone (2001) - 106 minutes

In 1939, during the last months of the Spanish Civil War, young Carlos is brought to an isolated orphanage by his tutor. Believing he will stay only until his father returns from the armed services, Carlos is shocked when his tutor abruptly leaves him in the strange new location. In reality, Carlos's father had died in the war, leaving his son in the care of the orphanage for the foreseeable future.

4. The Blair Witch Project (1999) - 81 minutes 

Three film students travel to Maryland to make a student film about a local urban legend... The Blair Witch. 

One of the most unique and genius films in years, the Blair Witch delievers. With a feeling so real the Blair witch stands as one of the scariest films ever made.  

3. The Orphanage (2007) - 105 minutes 

A woman brings her family back to her childhood home, where she opens an orphanage for handicapped children. Before long, her son starts to communicate with an invisible new friend. 

2. 28 Days Later (2002) - 113 minutes 

Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary.

One of the greatest movies ever made also happens to fall into the horror genre. 28 Days Later is a masterpiece of film making and as such as gone down as an instant classic.

1. Let The Right One In (2008) - 115 minutes 

Oscar, an overlooked and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire

It’s rare enough for a horror film to be good; even rarer are those that function as genuine works of art. Let the Right One In, adapted from the novel of the same name by John Ajvide Lindqvist, is one of those films – an austerely beautiful creation that reveals itself slowly, like the best works of art do. The simplicity of the story – a young boy, bullied in school, meets a young girl who just happens to be a 200-year-old vampire – allows Swedish director Tomas Alfredson to focus on these two pre-teen characters with a penetrating insight that not only makes it a great vampire film but a great coming-of-age film as well. Of course, calling it a coming-of-age story is likely selling it short. Because at its core, Let the Right One In is, simply, a human story, a pensive meditation on the transcendent possibilities of human connection. Most of all, it’s a film that sticks with you, and whose stature will continue to grow in the decades to come.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Some copy and paste work but hey it was 5am and I needed to get to bed. I reccomend all these movies, if you're a fan of horror everyone on the list is worth a watch. 

Honorable mentions  

1. Room 1408 

2. Silent Hill  

3. Funny Games 

4. ILS (Them)  

5. The Strangers 

6. The house of the Devil 

7. The Mist 

8. The Road 

9. I saw the Devil  
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great post and some neat little choice, dude.

I've wanted to see High Tension for ages; found Martyr's near unwatchable, but Trick 'r Treat was a fun diversion; and The Orphanage is easily one of the best horror films I've seen in years .

[●REC] is fantastic, too. Somewhere between the opening of Dawn of the Dead and The Blair Witch Project.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I still need to see Martyrs, I've been wanting to for quite some time now. 

One of my personal favorite horror movies from the past few years is The House of the Devil, it's quite awesome.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By callumbay

American Psycho isn't really a horror film, is it?

The_Stever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Stever

American Psycho isn't a horror film, not to mention I've seen the majority of the films on that list and I didn't find them even slightly scary.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Good list. Id personally throw in "Event horizon" somewhere, I love that movie.  I love REC and liked the way REC 2 changes the whole way you look at REC when you re-watch it after.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By corruptsaves

Don't forget  Eden Lake! That films packs a punch.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

In place of Cloverfield I would just put the movie Black Swan.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vonocourt

No House of the Devil, alright...

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oatz

I wouldn't call American Psycho a horror film. It is one of my favorites though. 

The Descent is one of the shittiest films I've ever seen. You are a bad person for including it on this list and you should feel bad.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@oatz said:

I wouldn't call American Psycho a horror film. It is one of my favorites though.  The Descent is one of the shittiest films I've ever seen. You are a bad person for including it on this list and you should feel bad.

The Descent still holds imo one of the greatest shit your pants scenes in horror. It's almost an entire hour before anything is seen, and the reveal is a great. Also the birthday cake symbolic ending is a great close. So I'd have to disagree.
novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By novadth

I'm sad The Mist isn't on here

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

The Mist should be on this list... I agree with almost all of these choices, but maybe High Tension. That was a good horror movie, but a bit cliched for me.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By danimal_furry

Some of these aren't even horror movies, especially American Psycho and the Sixth Sense, but that is my opinion. Horror is kind of tricky. There are a lot of different types and everyone has their tastes. I like suspense more than gore... and cheap scares or jump scares are sometimes good... if they are done right. I am not a huge slasher fan, but I don't dislike them. Gore just for gore's sake is not enjoyable to me though. I also like a good zombie film. Some of my favorites are those like Hitchcock films (Psycho), Event Horizon, Saw (the first one although the second isn't bad), George Romero type stuff (Night of the Living Dead was probably my first real horror movie when I was a kid... but it didn't scare me as much as it entertained), and the Thing (although that isn't really scary as much as just creepy). For some reason, the Ring and Grudge got to me. The Shining is not even on my top list... because I read the book beforehand and the movie just didn't fit well. Some of the teenie bopper films like Scream and I Know What You Did are fun to watch. Also, I like Unmasked: The Rise of Leslie Vernon simply because it is a great idea, well executed, and very smart.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

Trick R Treat is hardly unique but I'm glad someone else out there is fond of it, It's  really fun with some nice twists. High Tension is trash though.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a second I thought you were going to include Dawn of the Dead (which I do like quite a bit) and not include 28 Days Later.  Glad you did.  

Also, I'm of the opinion that The Descent wasn't that good.  I'm claustrophobic in real life, but that movie didn't do anything for me.  It didn't have a good story and it was at no point freaky or creepy or scary, so I would call it a bit of a failure.  Not terrible, just wouldn't agree with it being on this list.   

I want to throw this out there too:  Piranha is pretty good movie.  To me, it's like the epitome of cheesy "horror" movies that we all watch just for a laugh.  If you like those kinds of movies, definitely check it out.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SSully

@Bobby_The_Great said:

The Mist should be on this list... I agree with almost all of these choices, but maybe High Tension. That was a good horror movie, but a bit cliched for me.

I can't tell if you are serious, do you really think The Mist should be on that list???? Please tell me you are joking. Please.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@SSully
Why would I be joking the 2007 The Mist movie was a great zombie-esqe movie. Not quite 28 Days Later, but it was really good.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Bobby_The_Great said:
@SSully: Why would I be joking the 2007 The Mist movie was a great zombie-esqe movie. Not quite 28 Days Later, but it was really good.

I'm of the opinion that The Mist wasn't that hot. Far from bad but I don't feel it deserves a spot on this list.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By spankingaddict

Trick 'r treat is probably the worst movie I've ever seen. So, I don't trust this list.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

I haven't seen all of the entries here, though the ones I have are definitely some excellent horror material. Minus The Sixth Sense and American Psycho because I wouldn't define them as horror movies, and Cloverfield because I thought that was tiresomely mediocre.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Bwast

American Psycho isn't really a horror movie. I feel like you almost have to have Scream on there someone since it basically revived the slasher genre. 

Also, you should post this is on Whiskey's movie site, Screened.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Black_Rose

Shutter.  

That is all. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy
@xaLieNxGrEyx said: Dawn of the Dead remake

A rare example where the remake is actually better than the original.

Wait, WHAT?
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Sooperspy
@EuanDewar said:

I've learnt to not give a shit about this kind of thing as of recent.

But it still pissed me off that you didn't even mention Alien.

Alien was released in 1979.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By EuanDewar

@Redbullet685: Oh yeah didn't see the 20 years part.

Still, should have mentioned it.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By lazyturtle

A couple of those movies really are action flicks rather than horror, but otherwise an interesting list. 

One film that I would include here would be Antichrist. But seriously if you have ANY level of squeamishness ...DO NOT WATCH. There is a part of that movie that will make any man twitch....

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@lazyturtle said:
A couple of those movies really are action flicks rather than horror, but otherwise an interesting list.  One film that I would include here would be Antichrist. But seriously if you have ANY level of squeamishness ...DO NOT WATCH. There is a part of that movie that will make any man twitch....
Oh god, that part definitely made me uncomfortable.  
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AuthenticM

@iizcallum said:

American Psycho isn't really a horror film, is it?

Not really. I wouldn't even qualify it as a genre film.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By velucyraptor

Nice list. 

@PeasantAbuse said:

@lazyturtle said:
A couple of those movies really are action flicks rather than horror, but otherwise an interesting list.  One film that I would include here would be Antichrist. But seriously if you have ANY level of squeamishness ...DO NOT WATCH. There is a part of that movie that will make any man twitch....
Oh god, that part definitely made me uncomfortable.  
Granted I'm not a man, but so far as 'uncomfortable' goes the fox scene really stands out for me. Caught me completely off-guard ughsf I was disoriented for a good fifteen minutes
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TotalEklypse

Not a bad list. I would have to call into question Sixth Sense and American Psycho being horror or not. 

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By broqz

did Jacob's Ladder come out more then 20 years ago?(damn i'm getting old)  if not then i would suggest this as a good psycho/thriller.   
edit: yeah just checked, came out in 1990.  
still good imo.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@broqz said:

did Jacob's Ladder come out more then 20 years ago?(damn i'm getting old)  if not then i would suggest this as a good psycho/thriller.   edit: yeah just checked, came out in 1990.  still good imo.

Oh yeah! Fuck sakes that should replace something.... 

I'm going to defend myself for forgetting Jacob's Ladder by saying it came out in 1990 and therefore is 21 years. *Runs Away*
k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k9

These are a good selection of traditional horror movies but the movies that are personally scary to me are all the family friendly PG movies that makes most people like the main characters. Scary movies are always about physical harm, but these PG movies are about something much more treacherous: manipulation of audience's psyche. I know that the profession of acting is about playing a character but I particularly get disturbed seeing all the child actors who know that the audience wants them to act cute, so they do it. And most audience don't realize that the kids know what they want out of them.

Anyways, I want to echo the sentiments of Nova and Bobby and say that the mist was a great horror movie of this decade. I would also like to suggest viewing insidious for fans for horror genre. The first half of the movie was genuinely good in building up tension about the unknown.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By rockinkemosabe

Calling Cloverfield a horror film is a bit of a stretch...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm

I personally loved Diary Of The Dead. That came out right when I was in college so I was able to relate to it one-hundred percent. What a fantastic film.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By clubsandwich

oh god, martyrs... that movie... that movie.... :(

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@K9 said:

These are a good selection of traditional horror movies but the movies that are personally scary to me are all the family friendly PG movies that makes most people like the main characters. Scary movies are always about physical harm, but these PG movies are about something much more treacherous: manipulation of audience's psyche. I know that the profession of acting is about playing a character but I particularly get disturbed seeing all the child actors who know that the audience wants them to act cute, so they do it. And most audience don't realize that the kids know what they want out of them.

Anyways, I want to echo the sentiments of Nova and Bobby and say that the mist was a great horror movie of this decade. I would also like to suggest viewing insidious for fans for horror genre. The first half of the movie was genuinely good in building up tension about the unknown.

Insidious' second half was downright insulting to the audience and the pretty great movie that came before it. I dude in a halloween mask that looks like the robot satan from futurama just didn't do it for me.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By clubsandwich

Have you guys seen "A Serbian Film"?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@clubsandwich said:
Have you guys seen "A Serbian Film"?

That shit's fucked dude  
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@PeasantAbuse said:
I still need to see Martyrs, I've been wanting to for quite some time now.  One of my personal favorite horror movies from the past few years is The House of the Devil, it's quite awesome.

Martyrs isn't what you will expect, and there's no way to prepare for it. Go in and enjoy.
BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BionicRadd

Not a bad list, but I definitely believe the following deserve to be in any list of great horror films from the past 20 years 

Behind the Mask : The Rise of Leslie Vernon - Imagine if all the deconstructing of slasher films that Scream failed to do actually happened?  Yea, that's Behind the Mask.  It did everything Scream wanted to do with a more compelling story and a much better cast.  Anyone who has not seen it is doing themselves a serious disservice 

Dog Soldiers - My number three all time werewolf film behind American Werewolf in London and The Howling and also the first film by Neil Marshall who brought us the awesome Descent (props for having that on the list).  Take Assault on Precinct 13 (the original, not the shit remake) and replace the crazy gang with crazy werewolves in the Scottish countryside and you've got Dog Soldiers. 

House of the Devil - One of the best slow burn creepfests I've seen in my life.  If you love movies from the 70s and 80s like Wicker Man and Rosemary's Baby, you owe it to yourself to seek this out.  It's moody, atmospheric and masterfully crafted. 

ILS (spelled in all caps to avoid confusion) - This is the movie that the fairly terrible Strangers ripped off for it's first hour, become taking a left and turning into a poor man's Funny Games.  Ils is a simple story about a couple home alone in their huge new house, being terrorized by a gang of silent monsters.  Who the people are that are terrorizing them and the fact that it's supposedly based on a true story make the whole thing all the more scary when it's done. 

I could go on and list a handful of asian films, as well, that i think belong on any top 20 of the last 20 years list, but this'll do for now.  Honorable mention for any and all Christopher Smith films, including Creep, Severance, Triangle and Black Death.  Dude is a serious talent.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#44  Edited By KillyDarko

Nice list. And I've actually seen them all :)

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By evildeadron

Paranormal Entity should be on that list, it's much like Paranormal Activity. but way more intense and scary.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By leebmx

Just watching REC now on your recommendation  - hope its good. Needed something to pass the time at work.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By soldierg654342

You seem to have a broad definition of  what constitutes a "horror" movie. 

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cstrang

@The_Stever said:

American Psycho isn't a horror film...

This. Just because the focus is on a serial killer doesn't mean it's a horror film. it's more of a psychological thriller. Same story with Cloverfield; I'm not sure I'd classify it as a horror film. The Descent wasn't that good, nor was Frontiers, and 28 Days Later is ridiculously overrated. Martyrs was a fucking trip, though.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@cstrang said:

@The_Stever said:

American Psycho isn't a horror film...

This. Just because the focus is on a serial killer doesn't mean it's a horror film. it's more of a psychological thriller. Same story with Cloverfield; I'm not sure I'd classify it as a horror film. The Descent wasn't that good, nor was Frontiers, and 28 Days Later is ridiculously overrated. Martyrs was a fucking trip, though.

You're partially right about everything you just stated, however saying 28 Days is overrated makes me want to punch a baby
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By leebmx

Just finished watching REC. Very good lots of excellent jump scares. One thing I really liked about it was that the participants were almost incapacitated through terror by the end. Too many horror films, and films in general feature participants who remain far too calm and collected after having endured the worst shit imaginable. It also really didn't outstay its welcome, short and too the point but packed with moments which make you jump and squirm.