• 66 results
#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

It's two guys and a laptop doing giantbomb style let's plays. Imagine if jeff and vinny continued to do daily ERs for the last 4 years, thats what two best friends play is. Listening to them is just like listening to 2009 era giant bomb. They know their shit and they are funny as hell.

#2 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

Oh boy. Incoming shit storm. These topics never go over well.

#3 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

I'll look into it.

#4 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

You don't say? Really? There are people who do let's plays other than Giant Bomb?

Wow.

#5 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Umm - their youtube channel is filled with content similar to Quick Looks, not Endurance Runs (10-20 min videos of different games).

I have no idea what you are talking about - also, noone can ever replace Vinny.

#6 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: So wrong. They do shorts for Machinima which are nothing like Quick Looks. They also do let's play of games, in case you don't understand what that "Part X" on the end of a majority of their videos means.

#7 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

Well they are Giant bomb fans as indicated by their referencing of many a Giant bomb memes.

#8 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@fluxwavez: they are very giant bomb like, not just some else's lets play.

@selfconfessedcynic: they play the whole game not just a snippet.

#9 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

The funny part about the Endurance Runs though (at least Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition) is the fact that nobody knew "their shit" and still managed to be entertaining.
Not even the comments section of either DP or the P4 Endurance Run knew their shit. They liked to act like they knew what was happening or what they had to do next in the game, but every time everything they said turned out to be total bullshit. which lead to a lot of "Oh, so what someone said in the comments turned out to be untrue? noooooooo /sarcasm" comments from the crew, which were fantastic.

#10 Edited by Animasta (14637 posts) -

You don't say? Really? There are people who do let's plays other than Giant Bomb?

Wow.

truly, the most shocking of news.

as far as off brand endurance run knockoffs go, I always went with Tipping Forties (gone now, for they lived life like a candle in the wind and also one of them went to LA or something).

#11 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@yadilie said:

@selfconfessedcynic: So wrong. They do shorts for Machinima which are nothing like Quick Looks. They also do let's play of games, in case you don't understand what that "Part X" on the end of a majority of their videos means.

I may be looking in the wrong place, but this is their main youtube video listing;

http://www.youtube.com/show/twobestfriendsplay/videos

and there isn't a Part X on the end of any of these videos - nor on any of the images (there are links in the popular section to older videos which had this, but not recent ones)

They are part of Machinima, whose main video listing is here;

http://www.youtube.com/user/machinima/videos?flow=grid&view=1

and I don't see a series there either.

I assume you're not crazy or lieing - so perhaps link it, instead of insinuating that I don't know how let's plays titles are usually formatted.

Either that or you are referring to their let's plays from a while ago in which case, I agree with @fluxwavez in saying that they are not the only ones : /

#12 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@zeforgotten: well know their shit in a " this is not infuriating to watch way"

#13 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

I really like TBFP and watch pretty much every video they bring out. Some of the episodes of their longer LPs are hit and miss though, they ocassionally go off on a tangent and miss a lot of the interesting things on screen, the resulting conversation then drowns out the cutscene audio entirely.

#14 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -
#15 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

LET'S. PLAY.

#16 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@petiew: like the mk9 thing they are doing now? They think you aleady played, thus the talking over stuff.

#17 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -
#18 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -
#19 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@jz: @petiew: I see that more as a "We're going to talk about Mortal Kombat while Mortal Kombat shit is going on in the back ground." And man do they know a lot of useless garbage about that dumb franchise.

#20 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@jz: Gee, I wonder why. Could it be because it doesn't have the John Madden of Giant Bomb in it?

#21 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@yadilie: and I love it, because I know that stuff too.

#22 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -

I didn't specifically mean the MK one. That one's titled differently anyway, so I get why it's the way it is.

Just in general, I feel like they sometimes continue previous conversations or go off on tangents rather than focussing on the cutscene. I think it's more to do with the way they have their audio levels, seems to drown out the game volume.

#23 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Also they got the baz in divekick, that's pretty cool.

#24 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I think they're okay in small doses. I thought a few of their videos were alright, but I found them to get a little grating the more I watched their stuff.

Honestly I've found watching amateur Youtubers has only revealed just how good the bombcrew is at what they do, even if it might sometimes feel like we don't get quite enough content out of them.

#25 Posted by BoOzak (870 posts) -

Well I find them kind of irritating but to each his own. (they shout a lot and it feels kind of forced)

But seing as we're talking off-brand quick-sees (that sounded wrong) I'm quite fond of Gigaboots mainly due to the fact they're the anti-GB. As much as I like this site the staff seem very dismissive of a lot of things they dont understand (Patrick being the exception) and it's nice to see a different perspective on things.

#26 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

I think they're alright in small doses. I thought a few of their videos were alright, but I found them to get a little grating the more I watched their stuff.

Sounds like how I've felt about Giantbomb in the last year or so.

#27 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@boozak: they very professional and informative, neither of what I am looking for.

#28 Posted by Slag (3919 posts) -

And the point of sharing this is what?

#29 Edited by Clonedzero (4049 posts) -

@slag said:

Perhaps other people are fans of them? perhaps people who want another GB ER can watch these to get that fix? Perhaps he just thought it was cool and wanted to share it with us.

And the point of your snarky post is what?

#30 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

I watch them a lot. I just wish they did more playthroughs of interesting games. Chrono Trigger, The Walking Dead, and Resident Evil are pretty boring to watch. Super Best Friends Brawl is one of their best series.

#31 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

One of the guys voices makes me want to murder him. I got about 30 secs in before I had to turn it off. Seems to be an alright Youtube channel though. Also I don't particularly like endurance runs or let's plays because if I'm going to watch someone play an entire game I would rather just play it myself. So I suppose I'm not the target audience for their content.

#32 Posted by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

ok these people are really lame and not funy

IMO have a nice day

#33 Posted by Slag (3919 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

@slag said:

Perhaps other people are fans of them? perhaps people who want another GB ER can watch these to get that fix? Perhaps he just thought it was cool and wanted to share it with us.

And the point of your snarky post is what?

That I thought the OP was being disingenuous and was passively aggressively dissing Giant Bomb for his own self gratification.

It'd be one thing, if he was just selling the positive of what these others guy do. That'd be cool, always appreciate people sharing cool stuff they found.

But instead he presented it as a negative diss on Giant Bomb without linking to who he is talking about. So I assume this was meant to slam Giant Bomb more than to promote 2 Best Friends Play.

Maybe that's not what he meant, but that's how I read his post.

#34 Posted by Seauton (111 posts) -

I actually find them pretty entertaining, but it's not like I need to pick sides between them and GB (which I;m sure a shit load of irrational GB fans may think). In fact, I think they're fans as previously mentioned in this thread. As a huge Chrono Trigger fan their play through was awesome, and in all honesty better than GBs, but this far, I thought GBs Deadly Premonition ER was better even though TBF are only 4-5 episodes in, I can't remember.

As a side note, Pat's knowledge of anything Resident Evil is shocking.

#35 Edited by Draxyle (1779 posts) -

I am a fan of Two Best Friends myself, and I also prefer their regular lets plays on their own channel much more than their heavily edited Machinima stuff. I wouldn't say their "ER's" are more or less entertaining than GB's though; they're both two very different beasts entirely. GB goes in completely blind, which is both great and terrible for a number of reasons; Two Best Friends almost always has one guy who knows the game and one who doesn't and it works out fairly well for them, but there's not as much genuine surprise at events as there is with a GB ER.

#36 Posted by csl316 (7980 posts) -

I tend to stick to Game Informer's Super Replays, myself.

#37 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

Wow, two drunk mumbling duck butters playing a video game. I couldn't watch their Hitman Absolution video past 1:15. I tried to watch more but I don't want to sit around listening to two guys try really hard to be funny. Edit: Tried two more of their videos just in case I was wrong. I wasn't wrong.

#38 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

I've started watching them recently too, and I'm starting to like them. I prefer their short videos on Machinima more than their ERs on their new channel. But they generally do funny stuff and have unique likable personalities once you get to know them.

#39 Edited by BisonHero (6053 posts) -

@yadilie said:

@jz: Gee, I wonder why. Could it be because it doesn't have the John Madden of Giant Bomb in it?

I feel like I don't know enough about John Madden to have any idea what this statement means.

#40 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

Oh cool that so amazing to hear thank you for sharing this I can't wait to hear more.

#41 Edited by MEATBALL (3017 posts) -

I really wouldn't compare Two Best Friends play to Jeff & Vinny/Giant Bomb's best (ie. the Persona 4/Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs), I don't find them nearly as entertaining.

Slightly related: I've been finding spill.com's The Loading Bar videos far more entertaining than Giant Bomb's Quick Looks.

A fine example. *dodges tomatoes*

#42 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -
#43 Edited by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I tend to stick to Game Informer's Super Replays, myself.

man that overblood 2..... good good stuff

#44 Edited by EXTomar (4453 posts) -

Uh, "Two Best Friends Play" is different than "Endurance Runs". I'm not sure how someone can confuse them.

#45 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@yadilie said:

I feel like I don't know enough about John Madden to have any idea what this statement means.

It's his attempt at slyly attacking Patrick.

#46 Edited by Marokai (2790 posts) -

While I do think they serve different audiences, I do like Two Best Friends a lot, and my favorite thing about them is that they're just dudes. They have no pretensions about what they're doing, and they don't act better than anyone or anything else; they talk about their adoration of Giant Bomb and AVGN all the time, and mention other LPers from time to time, breaking that traditional BS "rule" that you can't acknowledge your "competitors" because that's somehow seem as "beneath" something.

They're just, well, two really good friends who grew up watching and playing and listening to what every other dude like us who likes to follow video games and the industry and found enjoyment playing games and bickering while doing it. There's a sort of refreshing simplicity and realness to their videos that I'm really attracted to.

#47 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

ok

#48 Edited by DexterKid (668 posts) -

@marokai said:

While I do think they serve different audiences, I do like Two Best Friends a lot, and my favorite thing about them is that they're just dudes. They have no pretensions about what they're doing, and they don't act better than anyone or anything else; they talk about their adoration of Giant Bomb and AVGN all the time, and mention other LPers from time to time, breaking that traditional BS "rule" that you can't acknowledge your "competitors" because that's somehow seem as "beneath" something.

They're just, well, two really good friends who grew up watching and playing and listening to what every other dude like us who likes to follow video games and the industry and found enjoyment playing games and bickering while doing it. There's a sort of refreshing simplicity and realness to their videos that I'm really attracted to.

Well said, and more importantly they seem to be genuinely enthusiastic about just playing games.

On the topic of Youtube channels, I'm also a big fan of the Yogscast family. Really enjoying Sips' videos recently.

#49 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@jams said:

Wow, two drunk mumbling duck butters playing a video game. I couldn't watch their Hitman Absolution video past 1:15. I tried to watch more but I don't want to sit around listening to two guys try really hard to be funny. Edit: Tried two more of their videos just in case I was wrong. I wasn't wrong.

Finally we've found something to agree on.

#50 Edited by EXTomar (4453 posts) -

I don't know if they are drunk. They might eat too many ice cream sandwiches but that is different than drunk.