This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

Romney belongs to a cult.

Yes, that may be controversial and you can attack me if you wish, but Mormonisn is not a religion, it is a cult. It should never be legitimised. Sure, it is a pleasant enough cult, almost harmless, but a cult is a cult. I don't come in to this view from a position of ignorance. I have a family of Mormons who are close friends. I met and maintained this friendship from spending some time in the local church - call it a theological journey.

Next up, a Scientologist for President? Hell, I still watch movies with John Travolta and Tom Cruise, plus I am a huge fan of Beck's music, but not for a second do I believe a Scientologist should hold office. I don't care that Romney is a successful businessman. In fact, what he has done in private enterprise makes him even worse and I think he will increase rich people power over the country, but that doesn't preclude him from being President, but being in a cult is a bridge too far for me.

I want to see sour faces on FOX News.

There is nothing I would enjoy more than seeing the media arm of the Republican Party writhe in agony after they lose the election. On the flipside, there would be nothing worse than the smugness they would display if they win. At least I could just not watch that, but watching them lose would be worth the admission price.

So, there you have my political views. Make of them what you wish and feel free to yell at me. After all, it is just an opinion.

#1 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

Romney belongs to a cult.

Yes, that may be controversial and you can attack me if you wish, but Mormonisn is not a religion, it is a cult. It should never be legitimised. Sure, it is a pleasant enough cult, almost harmless, but a cult is a cult. I don't come in to this view from a position of ignorance. I have a family of Mormons who are close friends. I met and maintained this friendship from spending some time in the local church - call it a theological journey.

Next up, a Scientologist for President? Hell, I still watch movies with John Travolta and Tom Cruise, plus I am a huge fan of Beck's music, but not for a second do I believe a Scientologist should hold office. I don't care that Romney is a successful businessman. In fact, what he has done in private enterprise makes him even worse and I think he will increase rich people power over the country, but that doesn't preclude him from being President, but being in a cult is a bridge too far for me.

I want to see sour faces on FOX News.

There is nothing I would enjoy more than seeing the media arm of the Republican Party writhe in agony after they lose the election. On the flipside, there would be nothing worse than the smugness they would display if they win. At least I could just not watch that, but watching them lose would be worth the admission price.

So, there you have my political views. Make of them what you wish and feel free to yell at me. After all, it is just an opinion.

#2 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I didn't vote for him because he wants to cut taxes even further which, by now, is obvious isn't going to do anything and he wants to spend another 200 billion a year on defense and he is fully against equal rights.

#3 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

So what is the difference, in your opinion, between a cult and a religion?

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

I'm so sick of the election.

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -

all religions are just cults if you think about it.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

If Romney loses (which he probably will) conservatives the nation over will forget him by Saturday.

Chris Christie 2016

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

CL60 2016.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@CL60 said:

CL60 2016.

whats your platform

#9 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

He has an 8% chance of winning so you don't really need to worry.

#10 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

What a non-issue this is. Religions, no matter how accepted and mainstream, are glorified cults at best, and that should be the end of it. Furthermore, Romney's (and Obama's, for that matter) religion matters so little in the context of being the president that its practically not worth bringing up.

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@CL60 said:

CL60 2016.

whats your platform

My platform is whatever you want it to be. That's my platform.

CL60 2016.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

What a petty thread. You are the embodiment of what is wrong with society. Grow up.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Animasta said:

@CL60 said:

CL60 2016.

whats your platform

My platform is whatever you want it to be. That's my platform.

CL60 2016.

well you've got my vote

#14 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

As a mormon I can tell you know nothing of the religion, good day to you sir

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

It's never stopped someone from yelling about religion before! This is the internet mother-fucker! It's based on the idea of yelling as loud as possible about things everyone is ignorant about!!!!!!LOL!!!

#16 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Nightriff said:

It's never stopped someone from yelling about religion before! This is the internet mother-fucker! It's based on the idea of yelling as loud as possible about things everyone is ignorant about!!!!!!LOL!!!

Oh I know that, I'm actually surprised it has taken people this long to bitch about mormonism, for once people grew up....then returned to their normal IQ level

#17 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Nightriff said:

Oh I know that, I'm actually surprised it has taken people this long to bitch about mormonism, for once people grew up....then returned to their normal IQ level

to be fair mormon isn't really normal christianity and many of it's beliefs to come across as more crazy than the usual christianity

although comparing it to scientology is super dumb, even if the mormon church is a terrible organization (politics wise that is)

#18 Posted by ZombiePie (5583 posts) -

We have users and even friends of the site that are not only Mormons, but also Scientologists. To insult any of them or their personal beliefs purely based on their religion is inappropriate and falls under our Forum Rules as victimization and discrimination of users. For this reason this thread is being locked.