#1 Posted by thanatos990 (760 posts) -

Im getting rid of Vista  Ultimate and moving to Ubuntu, I have a 64bit processor, should I download the 64bit or the 32 bit, and can someone show me to a must have program, does winamp work?

#2 Edited by MattyFTM (14434 posts) -

When I was doing research into which version to get I found that there were allot of complaints about the driver support in the 64 bit version, so I played it safe and went for the 32 bit version. It might not be as bad as people say though, and it might have got better since I got it.

Also, can I recommend that you don't uninstall vista, you leave it on a separate partition. However much you think Ubuntu will fulfill your needs, there is always a good chance there will be an occasion when you might need it. Unless you have a really small hard drive leaving a small windows partition on there shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Uh. If you're going to switch to Linux, better leave yourself a backup Windows partition and get ready to be mindfucked.

Ubuntu is an easy one though.

I don't know of any "must have" apps on it though.

#4 Posted by thanatos990 (760 posts) -

Vista has taken a crap on me, I want XP, Vista is like a rose, its beautiful but dont touch it

#5 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Leave. Vista. Installed. You are going to need it at one point or another.

#6 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

vista does suck but removing it entirely is not the smartest option

#7 Posted by thanatos990 (760 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Leave. Vista. Installed. You are going to need it at one point or another."
I am 30gig ubuntu 205gig vista
#8 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
thanatos990 said:
"Jayge said:
"Leave. Vista. Installed. You are going to need it at one point or another."
I am 30gig ubuntu 205gig vista"
You left Vista a 205 gig partition? Or are you already using 205 gigs for Vista.
#9 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Use Ubuntu. But keep Windows. You will need it.

#10 Edited by MB (13155 posts) -

No offense dude, but you had to abandon your other username here because you couldn't figure out the correct case sensitivity to log in with...do you really think Ubuntu is something you're ready for?  At least keep Vista on it's own partition like the other guys said that way you don't completely screw yourself.

Moderator
#11 Posted by thanatos990 (760 posts) -
MB said:
"No offense dude, but you had to abandon your other username here because you couldn't figure out the correct case sensitivity to log in with...do you really think Ubuntu is something you're ready for?  At least keep Vista on it's own partition like the other guys said that way you don't completely screw yourself."
lol this is the only site I have password problems its already running
#12 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
thanatos990 said:
"MB said:
"No offense dude, but you had to abandon your other username here because you couldn't figure out the correct case sensitivity to log in with...do you really think Ubuntu is something you're ready for?  At least keep Vista on it's own partition like the other guys said that way you don't completely screw yourself."
lol this is the only site I have password problems its already running"
You have problems not remembering your password?
#13 Posted by Pkshields (811 posts) -

Definitely should us Ubuntu, but it would be smart to have Windows installed just in case. either on a different partition, or in VirtualBox/Vmware (like I do atm)

Also 32 but is better spported than 64 bit, so it would be a smarter choice

#14 Edited by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

I'm running Ubuntu 64bit, if i were you I would get the 32bit though. I think you can install winamp on Ubuntu using WINE but I'm not sure, there is a really good music player for ubuntu called Amarok which is what i use. If I were you I wouldnt get rid of Vista, you should download partition magic, and then shrink the size of your windows partition so there is a good amount of unalocated space for your Ubuntu partition. Then when you install Ubuntu create a Ext3 partition (which is what you install Ubuntu on) in the unalocated space but dont use all of it you need to create another partition for swap files, I dont know what a good size is for a swap partition though, mine is 1gig and I think thats more than enough..

#15 Posted by decko5 (163 posts) -

i couldn't get the wireless to work on my laptop with ubuntu
so i gave up

i liked it on my desktop but it is a pain in the ass to get simple things to work

#16 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
decko5 said:
"i couldn't get the wireless to work on my laptop with ubuntu
so i gave up

i liked it on my desktop but it is a pain in the ass to get simple things to work"
That's entirely the fun of Linux!
#17 Posted by Jigen (189 posts) -

I used Ubuntu for a while, just for practical OS useage.  It took a while to get used to some things, and I had to write part of my own video drivers.  It worked pretty well out of the disk, compared to old Red Hat Linux which I tried a VERY long time ago.

Many simple functions of the OS worked better & faster than Windows, but some stuff, like the actual time it took to start up the OS & Firefox, took longer.

I think I may go back to it for a while soon though, it was kind of fun.