UGO Buys 1UP, Almost Everyone Fired

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpikeDelight

Those fucks at UGO bought the 1UP Network, cancelled the 1UP Show and 1UP Yours, terminated EGM, and fired almost everybody who made 1UP as great as it is. Correction: as great as it was. 1UP is no more. Anyone who would like to declare their allegiance to the amazing people who were fired from 1UP can post their comment on this propaganda post made by 1UP.

[Joystiq has obtained the full list of 1UP / EGM staffers laid off in the wake of the ZD/UGO deal:]

Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

FUCK THOSE COCKSUCKERS. I HOPE THEIR BUSINESS FAILS AND THEY ALL PAY FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO A SITE THAT SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE. (besides this one of course)

DON'T STAND FOR IT! LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT! DO ANYTHING TO FUCK THAT COMPANY UP ITS ASS!

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Death_Burnout

we know already! aaaaaaah!

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By bwooduhs

There are to many people in there that shouldn't have been fired. I understand that some people had to be let go but not all of them.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By musdy

FUCK UGO!!!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Guys, I don't think we need to be laying out the "fuck UGO" carpets at a time like this.  I'm sure that there are a lot of harsh feelings about all this, but regardless, the midst of a recession means that times like these will come around.  When they do, hostility is the last thing needed, but instead, letting the people that matter know that you support them during their harsh times is the better answer.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By pause422

There's several threads witht his similar thing in it now, btw, but thanks for the addition of a list of people....I keep feeling worse off everytime I hear a bit more information about this whole thing.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpikeDelight

I knew this news but this list is hot off the presses. I don't think anyone knew all these huge players were fired, there were only rumors of thirty or so leaving but nobody knew which ones.

ParadoxControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ParadoxControl

God Damn, some of there best known personalitys are in there! 

Shane, 
Ryan Scott, 
Mielke,
Donahoe, 

Garnet Lee isn't on that list, but I can bet you he wont stick around. This is a sad, sad day. 
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

That so many people christ UGO are dicks

Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Recession

See User Name and thats ur answer!

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Artie

Shane...

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BoG

Milkman and Bettenhausen?

Shame on UGO.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PercyChuggs
ParadoxControl said:
"God Damn, some of there best known personalitys are in there! 
Shane, 
Ryan Scott, 
Mielke,
Donahoe, 

Garnet Lee isn't on that list, but I can bet you he wont stick around. This is a sad, sad day. 
"
I bet if he values being employed in this shitty economy, he will.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Artie said:
"Shane..."
Whos shane ?
:P

this is no time to ask if your friends in here

we have a real Shame on our hands
TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TOYBOXX
PercyChuggs said:
"ParadoxControl said:
"God Damn, some of there best known personalitys are in there! 
Shane, 
Ryan Scott, 
Mielke,
Donahoe, 

"
I bet if he values being employed in this shitty economy, he will."
And that is the main reason why everything is dying in this economic dependent world. If anyone is to blame it's the economy and the politicians and CEO's who've helped it get to what it is today.
EdWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EdWood

I can not believe Shane was let go, WOW.  As for Garnett Lee I can not stand that guy.  If anyone should have been let go it should have been him.  He tries (and fails) way too hard to be "geek cool" or whatever you want to call it.  He is a doorknob.  GiantBomb should hire Shane since he and Brad SHoemaker are friends.

m3thod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By m3thod

Hmm, never even knew about UGO before all of this - I guess I can see why they bought 1up.

It's funny, everyone is cutting UGO's throat . . . like it's their fault people.  Ziff Davis put 1up for sale and UGO's parent company liked the price and saw the tremendous amount of unique visitors and signed the check.  Blame Ziff Davis for failing to keep themselves in the black.

But looking at UGO's website, I'm not all that impressed.  Just had to browse to it and see an annoying flash ad playing a video over their content for minutes.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Why can't game sites have a good design.  Thank you Giant Bomb for hiring web designers that know what they're doing.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I'm quite shocked. I knew UGO was planning to purchase the 1up Network, and I assumed they'd shore it up a bit which would lead to some positions being cut, but I never thought they'd dump what made 1up, 1up. I'm specifically sad about the 1up Show and a few of the podcasts. However so many of the ex-organizations core jumped ship awhile ago maybe 1up really was passed its prime. I'm just surprised so many veterans got canned.

Recession said:

"See User Name and thats ur answer!"
Respectfully, fuck that. The current economic situation in the United States and around most of the world (except here in British Columbia, apparently, where people are spending/borrowing as they were a year ago) has been caused by greedy credit lending institutions, lending to people/organizations they normally wouldn't. The huge unprotected run on fuel naturally hit the auto industry hard, but poor management and operation of the "big three" is mostly a result of greed. People are still buying, people are still borrowing, most of this "recession" has been overblown by the media and borderline propaganda by analysts and politicians. As Lou Dobbs said, it's the greatest robbery in United States history.

Not directed at you, but only the ignorant would be duped into such a scheme. What people should be questioning if they believe what they hear/see/read in the media to be true, is if our economy and monetary systems are so fragile they can implode over night and cause "so much" financial suffering, why are these systems being used? I realize this has little to do with the subject at hand, but so many people in the thread have thrown around the "R" word... it drove me nuts.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By lordofultima

1UP is no more? Just like that? And here I am anxiously awaiting Friday for 1UP Yours...wow. This is the most horrible thing in the history of ever.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CreamyGoodness

FUCK YPU UGO! that is like evryone there. whos left, the only one i saw that was still there is Garnett. FUCK  YOU I WANT MY PODCASTS. never liked the site but the podcasts were great. i loved the 1up show.

Typhon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Typhon

thats such BS.
Really i only listened to the 1up podcasts.
I didnt listen to anything else.

If any of you guys who got fired and need funding for a start up send me a message.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CreamyGoodness
Typhon said:
"thats such BS.
Really i only listened to the 1up podcasts.
I didnt listen to anything else.

If any of you guys who got fired and need funding for a start up send me a message."
ya thatl go well. great thought but kinda creepy
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By mike

In an effort to keep the boards somewhat readable, please continue all discussion about 1UP/EGM in the temporary sticky.

Thanks.