• 139 results
#1 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
Dead bodies will be burned to heat a swimming pool in the U.K. -- and the British government is considering adopting the idea across the country. 
It added that Durham Crematorium, in northern England, was thinking about fitting turbines to its burners in order to create electricity that could potentially power 1,500 televisions.

W
T
F

That's...that...no. Wow.
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Huh.

#3 Edited by VipeR (106 posts) -

This is rather a good idea, alot of heat and energy is wasted, why not use it? The people that are cremated are dead anyways, so they wont care.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

watehfuck?!

#5 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Not like they need 'em anyway.

When I die, I plan on having my body donated to the local WaffleHouse. Late on the electricity bill again? What electricity bill!!? We've got Jim's dead body in the oven!

#6 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@VipeR said:

This is rather a good idea, alot of heat and energy is wasted, why not use it? The people that are cremated are dead anyways, so they wont care.

So why not turn mom into garden mulch when she passes? She's gonna rot in the ground anyway, right?
#7 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This isn't really all that 'WTF' since they are just going to make it so when doing their usual cremating business they now generate some energy.

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

The only "WTF" thing about that article is the sensationalist headline and the terrible reporting. No, they're not "burning dead bodies to heat a swimming pool" they're putting the heat energy released by a crematorium to some use. That heat energy exists. That's a fact. It's either going to be released into the atmosphere, or it can be put to some use. It's a fantastic idea. It doesn't affect the experience at the crematorium and it saves energy. It's brilliant. Every crematorium should do it. I can't believe in 2012 we're only just starting to do this, it should have been done years ago.

#9 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

The energy source already exists, they are just placing turbines there to utilize it. Doesn't seem all that WTF to me. At its core it isn't much different from solar power.

#10 Posted by cosi83 (393 posts) -

We do this type of shit all the time in the UK

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

This would probably be way more "WTF?!" if they dug a tunnel under said swimming pool, dragged dead guys and girls down under the pool and then set them on fire. 
They're not

#12 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

It doesn't affect the experience at the crematorium and it saves energy.

Crematorium: The Experience

a new zombie dance game?

#13 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

Good idea. Why not? Why have your body go to waste when it can help people? Ofcourse this would require consent.

#14 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

The only "WTF" thing about that article is the sensationalist headline and the terrible reporting.

Yeah, who the hell goes to MSN for their news?

#15 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

This would probably be way more "WTF?!" if they dug a tunnel under said swimming pool, dragged dead guys and girls down under the pool and then set them on fire.

I totally expected this to be happening......

You disappoint me with this pussy footing around UK.... Shame on you.

#16 Posted by VipeR (106 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@VipeR said:

So why not turn mom into garden mulch when she passes? She's gonna rot in the ground anyway, right?

Well that's not up to me, that's for her to decide. It would seem that you think there's some ethical wrong about this. But the majority of people that gets cremated does so by their own will, and as others have pointed out, the energy and heat is a consequence of that.

It's not like they are killing people just to produce energy, that would be wrong. They are simply using what already exists, and there's nothing wrong with that.

#17 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

MattyFTM nailed it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

#18 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
#19 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

yeah...  if these people are already going to be cremated, then i don't see the problem.   OP makes it sound like they are snatching people from graveyards.

#20 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

I don't see the problem. It's better to use the energy than let it go to the atmosphere.

#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

This is not a bad idea, as long as the prices reflect.

#22 Posted by bybeach (4772 posts) -

Use the energy to power a Dildo factory, maybe one specializing in purple. That in effect was what the article was trying to link  if not for real. Crummy crummy reporting, I hate the news corporations these days.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
@VipeR said:

You're not using your relatives' ashes instead of coal. You're using the heat energy from the crematorium.
#24 Posted by SSully (4148 posts) -

Sounds like a good idea to me.

#25 Posted by WickedFather (1731 posts) -

My jacuzzi is powered by the gas from rotting puppies I get free from the vets. Bastard offered me kitties once but a kick in the guts soon sorted that out.

#26 Edited by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

What's the big deal? Would you rather that heat was just wasted or do you want to actually be progressive about it?

#27 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Sounds like a good idea

#28 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

I have a feeling that the OP didn't get the response he was expecting. Hooray for brain cells being put to work at Giantbomb!

#29 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -
#30 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Yeah seriously, I see nothing wrong with this,
Silly sensationalist reporting is silly.

Personally, I think everyone should just get buried, why waste perfectly good nutrients by burning them? At least this will address some of the waste.

#feedtheworms

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Seems a little odd TBH but... honestly if you think about it from a logical perspective and rule out how weird it is it does actually make sense.....

#32 Posted by falpatrick (166 posts) -

@N7 said:

Not like they need 'em anyway. When I die, I plan on having my body donated to the local WaffleHouse. Late on the electricity bill again? What electricity bill!!? We've got Jim's dead body in the oven!

Amazing.

#33 Posted by Sogeman (867 posts) -

well, what else are they good for. Nothing, so it's alright.

#34 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

On a related topic, one of my rabbits got killed by a fox last week. The rabbit had really, really nice fur, and it's torso had been left spotless, so my mum decided to skin it and use the fur as a seat cover.

I was against it initially, but really, this kind of things need to happen more.

#35 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Seems like people are finally getting over the ethics wall, at least a little, and learning not to waste resources. Nothing wrong with that, if it can be put to good use, why shouldn't it be?

#36 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Just another reason not to save a life. -_-

#37 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Welcome to the future.

#38 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

The only "WTF" thing about that article is the sensationalist headline and the terrible reporting. No, they're not "burning dead bodies to hear a swimming pool" they're putting the heat energy released by a crematorium to some use. That heat energy exists. That's a fact. It's either going to be released into the atmosphere, or it can be put to some use. It's a fantastic idea. It doesn't affect the experience at the crematorium and it saves energy. It's brilliant. Every crematorium should do it. I can't believe in 2012 we're only just starting to do this, it should have been done years ago.

#39 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

The only "WTF" thing about that article is the sensationalist headline and the terrible reporting. No, they're not "burning dead bodies to heat a swimming pool" they're putting the heat energy released by a crematorium to some use. That heat energy exists. That's a fact. It's either going to be released into the atmosphere, or it can be put to some use. It's a fantastic idea. It doesn't affect the experience at the crematorium and it saves energy. It's brilliant. Every crematorium should do it. I can't believe in 2012 we're only just starting to do this, it should have been done years ago.

Matty pretty much said exactly what I was going to say. That article was fucking wretched and stupid.

#40 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Yup. Agreed. I'm surprised people find this so offensive. This isn't the dark ages.

#41 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Brendan said:

I have a feeling that the OP didn't get the response he was expecting. Hooray for brain cells being put to work at Giantbomb!

What makes you think I was expecting a specific response? I was simply sharing an unusual story and gave very little of my own input. Hooray for people who think they have fucking ESP. You know what they say when you ASSuME.

And yeah, I find the whole idea distasteful.
#42 Posted by CaLe (3944 posts) -

Why you care wee man?

#43 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

Yeah seriously, I see nothing wrong with this, Silly sensationalist reporting is silly. Personally, I think everyone should just get buried, why waste perfectly good nutrients by burning them? At least this will address some of the waste. #feedtheworms

cause there isn't necessarily places to put them, especially in smaller, more dense nations (like the UK)

#44 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

Yeah. Do you know how many swimming pools the holocaust could have heated. But, seriously this is sick.

#45 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

I am also with you on that one. Why not already use the energy that's there. On any case this can be a good idea for a a B-Rate horror movie. Pool of The Dead.

#46 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

This.

Anyone who is angry about this doesn't understand the concept.

Holy crap, sensationalism guys.

#47 Posted by Getz (2995 posts) -

I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

#48 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -
@Animasta

@SerHulse said:

Yeah seriously, I see nothing wrong with this, Silly sensationalist reporting is silly. Personally, I think everyone should just get buried, why waste perfectly good nutrients by burning them? At least this will address some of the waste. #feedtheworms

cause there isn't necessarily places to put them, especially in smaller, more dense nations (like the UK)

I know I know,

I'm not being serious about it, far too many people die a year even here in the UK for it to be remotely feasible.

Though more people should still consider it over cremation IMO.
#49 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -
@SlickWillyJJ Do you know how distasteful that comment is?
#50 Posted by stoic665 (58 posts) -

The only thing that offends me here is that headline. Whoever wrote that has no professional integrity whatsoever.