• 66 results
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MikeinSC

Every country spends money on this epic abomination. It serves no actual purpose, resolves no real issues, and is a rather blatant perversion of the diplomacy and even basic common sense (Arabia AND Iran on the committee in charge of women's rights?). It's a corrupt monolith that nobody I know of actually takes seriously.

Isn't it time we mark this whole thing down as a huge mistake and realize that these international groups just do not work? The UN has been about as effective as the League of Nations was in the 1920's, but people seem to hold on to the belief that this is a group we simply cannot live without.

Does any country find the group useful, outside of tinpot dictatorships?

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By foggel

I'm curious. What do you mean by "these international groups"? Is, say, WTO included in this group?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

I have to admit, I got a bit of a kick out of the muslim nations removing Canada since we're the only nation to still be standing up for Isreal. 

The UN is a complete and utter joke, but it makes people feel good to see THE WORLD WORKING TOGETHER. Too bad it's corrupt and useless.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I will not be satisfied with international politics until someone/some nation finally achieves global domination. Until then, everything else is a waste of time.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeinSC
@foggel said:

" I'm curious. What do you mean by "these international groups"? Is, say, WTO included in this group? "

More along the lines of the League of Nations and the UN. The WTO is fine for what it does, but it's hardly a group that seems to have a lot of competency, either. All international groups are fairly useless (people go for diplomacy only if they have no other way to get what they want, by and large)...but the UN seems to be in a class all its own. Perhaps if there were membership requirements, it might have been a worthwhile experiment.

"  I have to admit, I got a bit of a kick out of the muslim nations removing Canada since we're the only nation to still be standing up for Isreal. "

That Israel gets more condemnations in any single year than such lovely events as the Sudanese and Rwandan genocide (which the UN made worse, impressively enough) speaks volumes. The bloc voting has become detrimental to the group ever becoming what they claim it is to be.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By FrankCanada97

The ICAO is pretty useful. But I guess it's because it is relatively apolitical.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeinSC
@Fragstoff said:
" Global dialog. "
But is there any actual dialogue? It's all a show. A show that we spend billions on in the US and other countries spend way too much on as well.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MarkWahlberg: 

I'd say that you should come up here, but don't. We're comfortable enough. Anyway, the UN could work if they had some type of balls.
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noodles
@mrcool11 said:
" Global Politics: serious business "
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora

While the UN is a utter useless political body; it is a good place for global dialogue. I can't really think of any organization that can replace that. 

League of Nations was useless because nobody enforced it and included certain nations.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Gabriel

Globalization sucks.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Video_Game_King said:
" @MarkWahlberg:   I'd say that you should come up here, but don't. We're comfortable enough.  "

...?
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Gunner

The U.N helps keep world wars from happening. From WWII to now has been the most peaceful 60 years Europe has ever had.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MarkWahlberg: 

I'm from the Moon. What, you thought my Kingdom was on Earth? The planet that spent a 200 year period just killing off every king they could?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By buzz_clik
@mrcool11 said:
" Global Politics: serious business "
Yup, sure is. Pew Pew!

No Caption Provided
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan
@Gabriel said:
"Globalization sucks. "

As technology becomes consistently better it's kind of impossible to ignore each other.  How small do you think the world is going to be in another 100 years?
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@buzz_clik:   UN Squadron was my favourite SNES shooter!

Fuckin' Mike's Brain.  How does it work?
bombastius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By bombastius
@MikeinSC: its quite amusing that people still beat that "new world order" horse. A  theory born in the U.S wich has many diffirent itterations but basically says that the U.N exists in order to raise tax for U.S citizens or take away their guns in order to "rule " them or somesuch. And people say it is corrupt, wich also usually stems from somewhere in the U.S wich i find all the more amusing. I mean in no way is it perfect but come on, the U.S govermental system  is probably the one in the world that invitest corruption the most with a possible exception of Russia.
Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Inf225

Ya, cultural victory is a waste of time.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarkTravesty

this is the point.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Video_Game_King: Oh. I had been thinking you might have meant Canada, but that works too.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Xeiphyer

The UN is a great idea, but the way it exists now makes it completely useless. Actually less than useless because it costs everyone money.

If only there was some way to get a group of people together to actually care about world issues without having such a Nationalistic bias. 

I think what we need is an alien assault on Earth. People within a nation always rally together to overcome a mutual enemy of the state, so if the Earth was in danger every race would have no choice but to rally together and put aside their differences for the good of the planet. If anyone has seen Gundam 00, I think that is basically what we need, though I have a feeling nobody is making GN drives near Jupiter right now... :(

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beej

I think the larger issue here is that because the united states and certain other groups (cough cough security council) want to use the U.N. in aspecific controlling manner, nothing can ever truly be accomplished. So long as the security council can throw down any action of a general assembly of nations then the whole U.N. gets viewed as a waste of time and ignored. 
Also regarding the belief that diplomacy doesn't work, I would completely disagree here. While there are notable failures of diplomacy there are also notable failures of every method of exerting international control. Basically I'd posit that diplomacy fails where most other attempts would also fail, but where diplomacy succeeds it's much more low impact than the other alternatives available so there's no reason to knock it as a practice.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RJMacReady
@Fragstoff said:

" Global dialog. "

"If... deceit is fundamental to animal communication, then there must be strong selection to spot deception and this ought, in turn, to select for a degree of self-deception, rendering some facts and motives unconscious so as not to betray — by the subtle signs of self-knowledge — the deception being practiced."

-Robert Trivers

Human action reveals more about intentions then dialogue ever will. Dialogue is not sufficient to reveal motives and intentions.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@bombastius: wait, how do you know all this? This info was suppose to be kept secret. Nevermind, maybe you hear the NWO theories.

Anyways, my opinion, globalisation, tryanny, new world order, one world dictatorship, they will be doing peace keeping for the shadow elite then around the world. FEMA will take care of the concentration camps later on, u.n is on a peace keeping role along side FEMA who under excutive order are allowed to override and dissolve congress. Alot of U.N's role is disarmament of the civilian population and their guns at that time so they won't have the ability to resist.

The cover story was, that they were our last hope for mankind or something. Yeah right.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@RJMacReady:   No, it isn't but it's also a great instigator of human actions and it also can force parties to come together on policies where their ideals differ wildly.
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RJMacReady
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @RJMacReady:   No, it isn't but it's also a great instigator of human actions and it also can force parties to come together on policies where their ideals differ wildly. "
The interests of the individuals are the catalysts for these actions, Speech is just the a tool which is often abused and used to deceive others about the interests of the individual advertising their putative intentions.
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By actionTACO

woah, I am shocked that an organization America constantly and consistently undermines has trouble functioning effectively.  The U.S. hasn't paid its dues in years, so I'm not sure what you even have to bitch about. 

also, lol evopsych. get this pseudoscience trash out of here 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@RJMacReady said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @RJMacReady:   No, it isn't but it's also a great instigator of human actions and it also can force parties to come together on policies where their ideals differ wildly. "
The interests of the individuals are the catalysts for these actions, Speech is just the a tool which is often abused and used to deceive others about the interests of the individual advertising their putative intentions. "
Of course.  Human beings are selfish and those in power and more selfish still.  The UN was formed to promote individual countries' interests based on the World Bank and War Repatriations (which are just loans after all, everyone comes to the table for money).  That said, in some cases it has, by form of function alone, caused and encouraged a great many positive changes in the world, not least of which was the Geneva Convention being ratified.
Robes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Robes

Try living in a country that has been divided by war to find out just how important having a peace keeping force is.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RJMacReady
@actionTACO said:
" woah, I am shocked that an organization America constantly and consistently undermines has trouble functioning effectively.  The U.S. hasn't paid its dues in years, so I'm not sure what you even have to bitch about.  also, lol evopsych. get this pseudoscience trash out of here  "
Trivers ? Pseudoscience? Evidence please?
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MisterChief
@Xeiphyer said:
" The UN is a great idea, but the way it exists now makes it completely useless. Actually less than useless because it costs everyone money.   If only there was some way to get a group of people together to actually care about world issues without having such a Nationalistic bias.   I think what we need is an alien assault on Earth. People within a nation always rally together to overcome a mutual enemy of the state, so if the Earth was in danger every race would have no choice but to rally together and put aside their differences for the good of the planet. If anyone has seen Gundam 00, I think that is basically what we need, though I have a feeling nobody is making GN drives near Jupiter right now... :( "
Watchmen then?
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought that the UN needed to be granted as a sovereign power unto itself and that member nations convert themselves into member states.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Xeiphyer
@MisterChief said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" The UN is a great idea, but the way it exists now makes it completely useless. Actually less than useless because it costs everyone money.   If only there was some way to get a group of people together to actually care about world issues without having such a Nationalistic bias.   I think what we need is an alien assault on Earth. People within a nation always rally together to overcome a mutual enemy of the state, so if the Earth was in danger every race would have no choice but to rally together and put aside their differences for the good of the planet. If anyone has seen Gundam 00, I think that is basically what we need, though I have a feeling nobody is making GN drives near Jupiter right now... :( "
Watchmen then? "
But who will watch the Watchmen?
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MisterChief
@Xeiphyer said:
" @MisterChief said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
Watchmen then? "
But who will watch the Watchmen? "
The Minutemen.
Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Cincaid

Wish we just had the Super Best Friends.
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@Gabriel: It's been around for the last 200 years, you'd think people would be used to it now.
Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon
@Robes said:
"Try living in a country that has been divided by war to find out just how important having a peace keeping force is. "

cough cough Sebrenica massacre....
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inkerman

I think the problem with the UN is that it is existing in a limbo state. One the one hand it has a charter to protect people, on the other hand, it gives votes to countries like Sudan and Iran, who essentially exist only to harm people. Israel has already been raised, but it is a stellar example of the UN's hypocrisy, how a country that has a perhaps somewhat heavy handed approach to dealing with terrorists, is being derided as a rogue state and human rights abuser by countries with outstanding human rights abuses as bad as ethnic cleansing. The fact that Iran and North Korea have not been thrown out of the UN is a travesty.

The UN basically has to decide what it is, is it a force for good in the world? Some kind of proto-world Government? If so it needs to grow a spine. If it exists to simply a be a forum for international relations (which it has been quite effective in, organisations like the WHO have been very effective), then it needs to drop all the pretence that anything it says has any real world value.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Interesting documentary on the creation of the U.N. I can't believe illuminati center of foreign relations was responsible for it's creation. I didn't expect that. This details all the so called u.n peace keep missions which is nothing but disarmament of countries where they can't defend themselves. Even JFK published some memo or guidelines sumitted to the united nations and it govern's it's principles. I actually just watched this whole documentary with all the parts, even though for alot of ppl it's boring. It's enlightening at least about it's global government objective.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47

He talks about the new world order that I talk about alot. Which is globalisation, disarming of guns, martial law, FEMA concentration camps, depopulation, an RFID chip in everyone, one world currency, which is the conspiracy. Also he mentions how the U.N will fullfill it's role as a peace keeping world government dictatorship disarming everyone's guns and weapons. I mean it's right in front of you, try to spin this. Totally worth listening too, the speech is only 33 seconds long.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gargantuan

This thread is now about triangles.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Gargantuan: why are ppl saying triangles, what does triangles has to do with anything? Maybe if you put an eye in there, a triangle with an eye, then it has something to do with something. Who is so ignorant to say all dirty triangles is a symbol of evil or shadow global government? It's a misconception, it's a pyramid, which has a top down structure of a hierarchy, the eye means to be elightened, to see things other ppl can't from the top of the pyramid.

Why are they mentioned, it's right in front of you, bush said new world order and you heard it from him and the U.N's role. Ppl are so brainwashed, they can't even hear bush talk about his plan in that 33 second speech. You better like the U.N because they are going to eventually be your new rulers for their one world government.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MikeinSC

That the UN is exceptionally corrupt is not really a debatable point. enough reportage of the Oil for Food scandal is out there, as are the myriad reports of "peacekeepers" basically forcing refugees to have sex with them for basic necessities. This isnt a "new world order" deal...this is a the UN is a waste of money thing. They dont disclose anything for even rudimentary oversight (that will have to change because Republicans are going to demand it or withhold all funding) and have solved no issues. 

is this a peaceful time for Europe? Given how much money the US poured into Europe since the end of WWII, I'd say the US is far more responsible for that than the UN. And much of Europe's "peace" is due to them ignoring glaring problems, which is their right. It will eventually bite them, but it is not my concern. 

And government, by default, is corruptible. Power corrupts.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@MikeinSC: here is an interesting fact, they have already united the whole european with the euro dollar and their european union. They already have been globalised and the u.s is next on the list. After the north american union, the european unition, the asian unition, african union, they will join the world and the U.N will begin it's disarmament plan. Yeah power corrupts, when you have all the money in the world, you want more power, political power and control. These ppl doesn't have our best interest at heart, only their greedy interest at heart, where a small group of elite ppl owns and controls the entire world. I'm sorry to tell you europe is already futher than north american in progress towards the new world order, globalisation. 

it exist and it's already established, that's why europe uses the euro dollar. Their plan is already complete.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union     

and the alleged plan 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Union 

then U.N will be there to clean up all the mess and to enforce the new one world government. That's what the U.N is for, not some justice league organisation. The are not your friends, also it's not very difficult to understand.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikeinSC

The EU is on the verge of economic collapse and I doubt it survives.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@MikeinSC: that's the whole point of all these flase flag operations and wars, to bankrupt america and europe. If they are indeed going to introduce a one world currency, europe and american has to first collapes for it's currency. That's part of the plan, the dollar has to be worthless. The euro dollar is just an early phase right now of the plan. The north american dollar will be called the amero dollar.