• 53 results
#1 Edited by Innersloth (18 posts) -

Te 90's were an interesting time for music. Tons of great groups started, and genres like Grunge were starting to get popular. However there were a few groups that I feel didn't get the recognition they deserved. I think many were better than the more popular groups.

Screaming Trees- They were one of the few groups put in the Grunge genre I liked. Mark Lanegan's solo albums are great too.
Mansun 
Porcupine tree
Gin Blossoms
Sponge 
Tonic
Spock's Beard
Super Furry Animals- I think they may have been a bit popular in the U.K. I'm not so sure since I wasn't in the country when they started. I didn't hear much about them in the 90's though.
The Toadies
Blind Melon
Candlebox
Meat Puppets
Helmet
Space
Echobelly
The Sundays
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Sugar
Mazzy Star
For Squirrels

#2 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

Nirvana

#3 Posted by Captain_Insano (1540 posts) -
@DelroyLindo said:
" Nirvana "
I came on here to post exactly this.

Well played sir.
#5 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -
@Captain_Insano said:
" @DelroyLindo said:
" Nirvana "
I came on here to post exactly this.  Well played sir. "
Pretty sure a lot of people would be. Obvious joke but someone had to do it
#6 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Cake is awesome

#7 Posted by Cereal_Killa (50 posts) -
@Innersloth: Screaming trees are one of my favourite bands, just about anything Lanegan's in is underrated.  
 I'd throw Kyuss in there as well most people just write them off as stoner rock but they are much better than that. And Afghan Whigs who really are my favourite band the mix of 70's jazz/funk with grunge is great.
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Opeth 
Alice in Chains

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4754 posts) -

Nirva... fuck.

Oh wait, underrated, not overrated. Nevermind.

#10 Posted by MetalGearGeorge (218 posts) -
@Innersloth:  Dude i don't think Helmet or Porcupine Tree are underrated.
#11 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

i think including Porcupine Tree and Opeth is allowed, they are pretty popular nowadays but not so much in the 90's. 

#12 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
@Red12b:  
Dude, new Cake album coming out next week and they are on tour as well. I'm going to see them if I can work it around my schedule. 
#13 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -
@Cereal_Killa:  "Somethin' Hot" (from 1965) is one of the best opening tracks of all time - I share your love of the Whigs, and Greg Duli in particular.  

As for the list, I don't think most of those bands are underrated.  
And I would like to add Sparklehorse.
#14 Posted by Innersloth (18 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" @Red12b:  Dude, new Cake album coming out next week and they are on tour as well. I'm going to see them if I can work it around my schedule.  "
I didn't know Cake were back! Their last album wasn't great, but I love all their other albums.
#15 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

Failure, Neurosis, Porcupine Tree

#16 Posted by KennyPowers (247 posts) -

Temple of the Dog

#17 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -

Spice Girls. 
In all seriousness, a lot of those bands were fairly popular in the different countries in the 90s (Uk at least) so kinda hard to say underrated. Dont think Blind Melon was underrated anyways.

#18 Edited by PenguinDust (12518 posts) -
The Afghan Whigs is high on my list of underrated bands from the 90's.  Technically they started in the 80's but they didn't break out until the early 90's when they joined the Sub-Pop label.  A great alt-rock band of the era.  

Superchunk is one of my all-time favorite bands from any decade.  I'm not sure how well they are known compared to the staples of the decade like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and The Smashing Pumpkins.  Their 9th studio album came out in 2010.  That number might even be higher if you count the side project band Portatastic which had 2 members from Superchunk in it.  

Also no 90's list would be complete without Pavement.  An under-appreciated indi-alt band from California.  The double album "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" should be in every 90's music fan's library.
#19 Posted by Innersloth (18 posts) -

I forgot to mention Hum. I never heard anyone mention them in the 90's. Very good band.

#20 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

Primal Scream were pretty big in the UK, but I dunno if they found much success anywhere else. I'm seeing them perform Screamadelica in a few weeks, one of my favourite albums of all time. Can't wait.

Most people on here would recognise this song from GTA: San Andreas.

The rest of the album is a trip.
#21 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Nirva... fuck.

Oh wait, underrated, not overrated. Nevermind. "
Oh I see what you did there.
#22 Posted by Sammo21 (3277 posts) -

PLUMTREE

#23 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

thingy, slowdive, unwound, american football, red house painters, sunny day real estate, three mile pilot, slint, etc...

#24 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@Toms115: Slowdive never really did get big, for understandable reasons. But they are really awesome. Also, I think Sunny Day Real Estate's is awesome, but only their later work (How it Feels...), which is kind of backwards lol.
#25 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@HarlequinRiot: souvlaki is up there as one of my favourite albums probably. it's a shame, really, they deserved so much more attention than they actually got. i only have diary by sunny day but i love it to bits.
#26 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

Indian Summer

#27 Posted by ptc (619 posts) -

Alice in Chains
#28 Posted by Bloodlines (172 posts) -

Testament maybe? They had only 3 albums in the 90's.

#29 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" thingy, slowdive, unwound, american football, red house painters, sunny day real estate, three mile pilot, slint, etc... "
you have good taste
#30 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

Candle Box is really good.  

#31 Posted by RaceKickfist (218 posts) -

polaris. 

#32 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Pink Floyd.

#33 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@Innersloth: I've listened and still listen to a lot of those bands...good ass list (Especially Blind Melon...everyone thinks of No Rain for them, they are so much better than that! Screaming Trees are amazing as well.) 

I would like to add Temple of the Dog (hey it formed Pearl Jam, probably an argument for over rated, but they are one of my favorite bands), Kyuss, Sleater Kinney, the Tea Party, Tragically Hip (still on the go, but their 90's stuff is just so great, in particular up to Here, Road Apples and Fully Completely), Jeff Buckley, I Mother Earth (the Edwin albums, Dig and Scenery and Fish)...I'm sure there are probably more
#34 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" Also no 90's list would be complete without Pavement.  An under-appreciated indi-alt band from California.  The double album "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" should be in every 90's music fan's library. "
Pavement pretty much reshaped my musical taste. While trying to hunt down the latest Smashing Pumpkins, STP, Oasis or whatever bullshit I was obsessed with at the time I happened upon Slanted and Enchanted and bought it because the cover looked cool. That was the absolute greatest impulse purchase of my life.
#35 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@hexx462: Pavement is pretty great, but that's not to take away from the great early Pumpkins, STP or Oasis stuff either (Although Blur is FAR better IMO)
#36 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@Deeveeus: Probably should havestated that I still love Smashing Pumpkin's first two albums to death and Purple still holds up today (can't stand Core anymore though). Ditto about Blur though, I'm not one for greatest hits albums but I think theirs is pretty fantastic. Pavement basically introduced me to a whole world of music I didn't know that was out there.
#37 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@hexx462: Yeah I hear you 100%...I was pretty young in the 90's, but stealing my older brothers tapes set me in motion for a life of music love, and STP - Core(I still love that album, can't help it haha), Pearl Jam - Ten (so great, although I still like VS more), Smashing Pumpkins - Siamaese Dream, Blind Melon - Self Titled and Blur - Parklife got me started! (there was a healthy dose of 80's thrash metal there too haha) 

I never found Pavement until my later teens (Music in the early aughts was SO bad), so I backtracked through my favorite eras, late 60's and early 90's...found some hidden gold like Screaming Trees, Pavement, Temple of the Dog, Mother Love Bone, etc 
#38 Posted by Ghostiet (5279 posts) -

The Jesus Lizard.

#39 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Toms115 said:
" thingy, slowdive, unwound, american football, red house painters, sunny day real estate, three mile pilot, slint, etc... "
you have good taste "
it's a shame that most of them went pretty overlooked in the 90s. they definitely all picked up new fans in the 2000s, me included, i just wish they were appreciated when they were actually around a bit more.
#40 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

#41 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -
@KennyPowers said:
" Temple of the Dog "
^^^^This and Mad Season.  I know Mad Season was a super-group, but their first and only album is still one of my favorites to this day!
#42 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@Ghostiet: i've had down sitting there in my music folder for months now. i can't seem to get into them.
#43 Posted by Ghostiet (5279 posts) -
@Toms115:
Check Liar. If you don't want to fuck someone up after Boilermaker and Gladiator, there is something clearly wrong with you.
#44 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@Deeveeus: @Deeveeus said:
" early 90's...found some hidden gold like Screaming Trees, Pavement, Temple of the Dog, Mother Love Bone, etc  "
I was lucky enough to grow up near Seattle so those bands (minus Pavement) got pretty steady rotation all through the 90's. Damn do I miss actually picking up good music from the radio.
#45 Posted by Carryboy (677 posts) -

YEH SUPER FURRY ANIMALS.  Pavement were great i may even put down a shout for supergrass sure they were well know with some very comercial stuff but they had some great stuff aswell.
Btw oasis are far better than Blur, Live forever.
#46 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

Neutral Milk Hotel is my favorite band from the 90s.  

Elliot Smith and Sparklehorse were in their prime in the 90s too. 

#47 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (615 posts) -

They Might Be Giants. Seriously, Flood gets tons of love from the P4K crowd but nobody ever acknowledges their other amazing 90's albums like Factory Showroom and Apollo 18.

#48 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Nirva... fuck.

Oh wait, underrated, not overrated. Nevermind. "
Sick burn, brah. 

Nirvana's actually pretty good. 

The OP has taken all of the good picks already though.
#49 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
@EVO:  Nice choice there. Primal Scream is great.
 ---

The Brian Jonestown Massacre: Great psych-rock band from San Francisco. Been one of my favourites for almost 15 years now, but they've never really broken through like they should. Story of a million bands out there I guess.
#50 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2463 posts) -
@Red12b said:
"   

Cake is awesome

"
I want a girl in a short skirt and a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong............JACKET.